• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Messi

The contrast is too much. The blonde hair makes everything much more subdued.

Yep. Love the Margot style hair much closer to classic Harley's hair. The red and black feels like they over designed her and were trying too hard.

Also have always been a sucker for the hairstyle Jim Lee used for the cover.

tim1138

I just finished the first omnibus for the first time, too. It really bums me out that DC had various artists redraw Kirby's Superman and Olsen to fit the one basic model sheet they deemed necessary to always be used, without exception. So stupid.

Yeah, God forbid Superman didn't match the Curt Swan archetype.
Kirby was understandably less than thrilled by that, but he was forever the company man, for better or for worse.

Owzers

I'm just getting through Black Vortex to do it, kinda like how the Rockets go through NBA seasons. If All New X-Men wasn't involved in the crossover i'd probably skip it.

edit: Quill/Kitty relationship dialog is more awkward than Dwight and Harden.

Messi

Do we know if that's just a thing for the cover or is it Harley's new look?

Because I'd be very much okay with that.

The hair is being used in an upcoming issue of the solo series

Harley has loads of costumes so I'm sure you will see something like it soon. She changes costume every few issues lol. Hence the statue line.

Owzers

I've been semi-ignoring the new Fire Emblem because of the split version release thing, totally sours me on a game. That and i've never played a fire emblem game despite owning Awakening for 3ds.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I've been semi-ignoring the new Fire Emblem because of the split version release thing, totally sours me on a game. That and i've never played a fire emblem game despite owning Awakening for 3ds.

Fire Emblem is one of those series I've always been semi-interested in but have never gotten around to playing.

Owzers

I just picked up the Ultimate Comics Avengers Omnibus (this one http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Comics-Avengers-Millar-Omnibus/dp/0785161325/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1455936689&sr=1-1&keywords=ultimate+avengers+omnibus) at a decent price, only I have never read any of the Ultimate comics before. Whats essential to read before I read this Omnibus? I like Hickman, and I did a bit of research and can see he did a run on Ultimates, should I read that whole thing first?

I'd read Millar's first run on Ultimates, "The Ultimates" and "The Ultimates 2", but that's about it, they're both collected in "ultimate collection" tpbs, one volume for each of the 12ish issue arcs. Instocktrades.com is good place to pick up collections in America, free shipping on $50. Hickman's run was okay and came after the Omnibus you bought, mostly told its own story if i recall.

How is Black Vortex so long, i'm at issue 11 of 14...there's no way this ends well but it keeps going. Truly the Jeb of comics.

Starated reading Prison School. Not sure if it's the worst thing I've ever read or brilliant but I'm gonna keep reading

I just picked up the Ultimate Comics Avengers Omnibus (this one http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Comics-Avengers-Millar-Omnibus/dp/0785161325/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1455936689&sr=1-1&keywords=ultimate+avengers+omnibus) at a decent price, only I have never read any of the Ultimate comics before. Whats essential to read before I read this Omnibus? I like Hickman, and I did a bit of research and can see he did a run on Ultimates, should I read that whole thing first?
I want to preface this by saying I am generally a fan of Mark Millar's work, warts and all, and I think of his Ultimates work is exceptional capes comics

*but*

If its not too late, return that omnibus.

Seriously, his Ultimate Comics run is some of the laziest Mark Millar writing . What you should do, for sure, is buy his Ultimates and Ultimates 2 run that Bryan Hitch drew

You dont need to read anything to pick up his Ultimates work. Hickman has a pretty short run on Ultimates later but leaves the book to be finished by Sam Humphries who just couldnt keep up the quality. Still, I recommend reading it because its fantastic Hickman Marvel Comics

gambit-deadpool-cover-defb3.jpg

Gambit/Deadpool miniseries...yaaaaUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

This would be the greatest thing ever if it didn't have Deadpool in it

still buying it tho

TheFlow

Banned
Black Science #11-18

despite coming back to this series months later it was still easy enough to follow. For those thinking about dropping this don't do it. The comic picks up and the plot thickens.

The last 2 issues begins a new trippy arc that has my attention

Do we know if that's just a thing for the cover or is it Harley's new look?

Because I'd be very much okay with that.

I'm hoping. I mean, new creative teams often do something new with the character when they come on board.

Who has time for comics when Fire Emblem is out?

I'm not a huge fan of strategy combat in RPGs. Also, three games is a bit overwhelming.

Blink!
Morph!
Mimic!

You forgot Nocturne and Namora.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Black Science #11-18

despite coming back to this series months later it was still easy enough to follow. For those thinking about dropping this don't do it. The comic picks up and the plot thickens.

The last 2 issues begins a new trippy arc that has my attention

It's the issues you just read that have made me consider dropping it. Especially the crappy new arc.

TheFlow

Banned
It's the issues you just read that have made me consider dropping it. Especially crappy new arc.

the virus/roman arc was decent. the new arc is very trippy like more weird than paper girls. I think this series reads better in trades.

edit: I now have sex criminals and east by west to catch up on

george_us

I've just discovered the glory of Image comics. Blew threw the first Saga Deluxe Hardcover Edition (waiting for the second is going to be painful) and Low volume 1 and 2 in a couple of days. Now I'm making my way through the first three volumes of Black Science. Rat Queens is next followed by Pretty Deadly and Lazarus. I'm not a hardcore comic person by any means but I could see myself getting hooked on this. Thank God the hobby is fairly inexpensive compared to, say, video games lol.

TheFlow

Banned
I've just discovered the glory of Image comics. Blew threw the first Saga Deluxe Hardcover Edition (waiting for the second is going to be painful) and Low volume 1 and 2 in a couple of days. Now I'm making my way through the first three volumes of Black Science. Rat Queens is next followed by Pretty Deadly and Lazarus. I'm not a hardcore comic person by any means but I could see myself getting hooked on this. Thank God the hobby is fairly inexpensive compared to, say, video games lol.
I would recommend you some other must reads but you will be set with those for a while

Messi

Oh this hobby isn't a cheap one. Lol. Nice that you are enjoying good comics though.

Messi

I'm hoping. I mean, new creative teams often do something new with the character when they come on board.

I don't believe jimmy and Amanda are leaving. It's one of the books not getting a rebirth issue right. We are pretty sure the books not getting rebirth issues are keeping the same teams. Like Batgirl isn't changing or Gotham Academy and they have no rebirth issues.

DC would be crazy to take jimmy and Amanda off Harley.

We could help you spend more money. I think I spend more on comics vs video games.

I don't believe jimmy and Amanda are leaving. It's one of the books not getting a rebirth issue right. We are pretty sure the books not getting rebirth issues are keeping the same teams. Like Batgirl isn't changing or Gotham Academy and they have no rebirth issues.

DC would be crazy to take jimmy and Amanda off Harley.

...The cover is for Suicide Squad. Not Harley Quinn. Jim Lee is joining the Suicide Squad creative team as one of the rotating artists for Rebirth when it starts shipping 2x / month. Putting a big name like Lee on the book is probably part of their big push for the Suicide Squad movie.

Messi

...The cover is for Suicide Squad. Not Harley Quinn. Jim Lee is joining the Suicide Squad creative team as one of the rotating artists for Rebirth when it starts shipping 2x / month.

Was that confirmed anywhere that wasn't bleeding cool? I don't trust anything that site posts.

The cover is for a Harley and the Suicide Squad one shot BTW so it's neither book :p

Messi

Both are taking the info from bleeding cool. Look at the comments section of the newsarama article. Rich Johnson.

Both articles are posted after bleeding cool and don't list any info they didn't provide.

I'll wait for DC to announce what he is actually doing. I'd believe he is doing the rebirth issue. The ongoing not so much.

Both are taking the info from bleeding cool. Look at the comments section of the newsarama article. Rich Johnson.

I'll wait for DC to announce what he is actually doing. I'd believe he is doing the rebirth issue. The ongoing not so much.

Nah, man. It makes sense. They have to put a big name on Suicide Squad to draw people to the comic after they see the movie in August. Marvel does the same thing when they try to use the films as a platform to get people into the comics as well. It's marketing 101. Just because Johnston is a dope doesn't mean he isn't right.

Messi

Nah, man. It makes sense. They have to put a big name on Suicide Squad to draw people to the comic after they see the movie in August. Marvel does the same thing when they try to use the films as a platform to get people into the comics as well. It's marketing 101. Just because Johnston is a dope doesn't mean he isn't right.

It makes sense sure. I believe he will do the rebirth issue and hand off to a team after that.

I don't believe a word that comes from that man. He posted fake solicits yesterday that some random person sent him. He's a hack.

ElNarez

Banned

It makes about as much sense as Brian Azzarello writing a Lex Luthor ongoing.

I don't believe a word that comes from that man. He posted fake solicits yesterday that some random person sent him. He's a hack.

Okay... What did Johnston do in the last few weeks? Because the venom you guys have been spewing his way lately has been even more toxic than usual.

It makes about as much sense as Brian Azzarello writing a Lex Luthor ongoing.

I'd read it. Though I'd be even more inclined if it was about Alexis Luthor from Multiversity.

:D

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
the virus/roman arc was decent. the new arc is very trippy like more weird than paper girls. I think this series reads better in trades.

edit: I now have sex criminals and east by west to catch up on

I thought the new arc started off with some promise. Then it turned into one big therapy session and my interest fell off again.

It's took me multiple attempts to get through the last three issues. Each time I'd start one my mind would wander and I'd find myself doing something else without even realizing it.

I loves me some East of West!

Messi

Okay... What did Johnston do in the last few weeks? Because the venom you guys have been spewing his way lately has been even more toxic than usual.

I'd read it. Though I'd be even more inclined if it was about Alexis Luthor from Multiversity.

:D

Like yesterday where he posted solicits from rebirth without checking if they were real?

ElNarez

Banned
Look, I can make up fake rumors about Rebirth too.

-Steve Orlando is the new writer on Detective Comics, which stars Batwoman and which will introduce Renee Montoya. Ferreyra, who's not doing Suicide Squad because Jim Lee's on it, is doing interiors.
-Snyder is writing Action Comics
-The new artist on Blue Beetle is Sonny Liew
-Hellblazer goes on with the same team, King/Seeley/Janin move on to Nightwing

-Snyder is writing Action Comics

Snyder is working with Capullo again, though. Right? My money is on Justice League. If any DC franchise needs the Snyder touch, it's Justice League.

Like yesterday where he posted solicits from rebirth without checking if they were real?

Nah, I mean you guys just seem to have so much hate for the guy now that it's downright unhealthy. It's not worth getting as worked up over as you are.

Messi

Snyder is working with Capullo again, though. Right? My money is on Justice League. If any DC franchise needs the Snyder touch, it's Justice League.

He is working with him again after Capullo finishes his work with Millar.

I'm not worked up over Johnson. I just don't like people posting what he says as fact. I'd prefer if I never heard from bleeding cool again.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Nah, I mean you guys just seem to have so much hate for the guy now that it's downright unhealthy. It's not worth getting as worked up over as you are.
Given his track record, it's annoying to see his articles cited as solid evidence of anything. How many times do people have to be fooled before they'll learn? Being right 20% of the time doesn't really cut it. It's like seeing people start threads in the OT based off Daily Mail articles.

Oh just you wait. Just. You. Wait.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I just read the Issue were the information that Matt Murdoch is Daredevil was leaked to the press.
I always figured that it was plan of a super villain, most likely the Kingpin, to tear Matt apart, but I was super surprised that it happened on such a natural and realistic way.
Also was surprised that Matt was under protection of the Kingpin. When happen the Events that lead to this?
Really really great stuff that Bendis has done on the character here, it really seems like Daredevil brings out the best in a writer.

I really want to have a Nocenti Daredevil Ultimate Collection. Stuff is really good and I hate that I have to interrupt the run for at least a week before I can order the second Collection.

Top Bottom