• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Sure, let me elaborate.

It's Geoff Johns' Mary Sue fanfic about his favourite character that he couldn't accept had died, whose sole memorable moment was the time he died and was replaced by an infinitely superior character. The entire story is page after page of trying to jam this tired, worn out character into a universe that's evolved beyond them, entirely for the better, and attempts to do so by having everyone talk at length about how he's the coolest dude on the block. A popular character shows up to be the voice of dissent before being taken down because they didn't believe in the inherent greatness of Johns' pet character, and ultimately it ends by ascribing an artificial importance to the returning microwaved leftovers, pretending that there are super deep and meaningful reasons for their return and not just because old white men couldn't let go of their favourite comic book character, who were removed from the spotlight entirely because, at the time, nobody cared who they were.

Now which one am I talking about again?

They're bad comics. I'm fine calling them bad comics.
I appreciate the elaboration. I didn't chime in to defend the books exactly but I thought your post came off as drive by contrarian posting. I think your points are pretty valid so I'm not really looking to dispute them

Sure, let me elaborate.

It's Geoff Johns' Mary Sue fanfic about his favourite character that he couldn't accept had died, whose sole memorable moment was the time he died and was replaced by an infinitely superior character. The entire story is page after page of trying to jam this tired, worn out character into a universe that's evolved beyond them, entirely for the better, and attempts to do so by having everyone talk at length about how he's the coolest dude on the block. A popular character shows up to be the voice of dissent before being taken down because they didn't believe in the inherent greatness of Johns' pet character, and ultimately it ends by ascribing an artificial importance to the returning microwaved leftovers, pretending that there are super deep and meaningful reasons for their return and not just because old white men couldn't let go of their favourite comic book character, who were removed from the spotlight entirely because, at the time, nobody cared who they were.

9Hn9KwB.png

tim1138

I appreciate the elaboration. I didn't chime in to defend the books exactly but I thought your post came off as drive by contrarian posting. I think your points are pretty valid so I'm not really looking to dispute them

and let's be honest, outside of a couple of cool sequences, Flash Rebirth wasn't very good. EvS should never be allowed to draw a speedster again.

Sure, let me elaborate.

Did you happen to read this editorial from Comics Alliance?

DC Rebirth: Is Geoff Johns Selling Out DC’s Future in Pursuit of its Past?

and let's be honest, outside of a couple of cool sequences, Flash Rebirth wasn't very good. EvS should never be allowed to draw a speedster again.

Besides his style not being personally appealing for an extended period of time, I think there are a lot of this EVS doesnt do particularly well. His work tends to be made stiff by detail so his work isnt very well suited for a book with more dynamism than posturing imo

Calcium

Banned
No, but it's more that I'm never not in a position where I'll complain about Geoff Johns because Geoff Johns hasn't written anything of merit since Booster Gold, and prior to that, JSA.

Huh, I've enjoyed many books by Geoff Johns. He isn't the greatest, but I'd never categorize him as a bad writer.

tim1138

Besides his style not being personally appealing for an extended period of time, I think there are a lot of this EVS doesnt do particularly well. His work tends to be made stiff by detail so his work isnt very well suited for a book with more dynamism than posturing imo

thinking about it, the last time I can honestly say I enjoyed something he drew was his original Green Lantern stuff with Johns, and even then he was outclassed by everyone that came after him.

mreddie

Just remembered, was the new Blade title ever published ? Is it canceled or just pushed to a later date ?

Limbo, same fate as Gamora except while Gamora is in limbo due to the writer of that book doing the Cap Marvel movie, there was a harsh reaction for Blade because of the daughter angle. All we know is that the original writer has quietly left the book.

gambit-deadpool-cover-defb3.jpg

Gambit/Deadpool miniseries...yaaaaUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

shingi70

Banned
Limbo, same fate as Gamora except while Gamora is in limbo due to the writer of that book doing the Cap Marvel movie, there was a harsh reaction for Blade because of the daughter angle. All we know is that the original writer has quietly left the book.

Which sucks, because Blade having a daughter was a cool idea and the one of the original themes of the character and Tomb of Dracula was family.

Did he? That sucks, I was really looking forward to that.

It's Geoff Johns' Mary Sue fanfic about his favourite character that he couldn't accept had died, whose sole memorable moment was the time he died and was replaced by an infinitely superior character.

This was the part I was gonna agree until I realized you were talking about Kyle.

In for a collected edition.

There's an ending to Star Wars fever?

Thanks, haven't changed mine for a while anyway.

I still have the fever, upcoming Hot Toys, current comics, future comics, Force Friday, Rogue One, Legos, fan theory videos, production of Ep 8, Rebels show, Lego show. I'm very excited for the future. Now that they hacked the EU out of canon, it's a very fun universe to follow.

Calcium

Banned
I still have the fever, upcoming Hot Toys, current comics, future comics, Force Friday, Rogue One, Legos, fan theory videos, production of Ep 8, Rebels show, Lego show. I'm very excited for the future. Now that they hacked the EU out of canon, it's a very fun universe to follow.

Agreed. It's a good time to be a Star Wars fan.

shingi70

Banned
I'm a huge Star wara fan but my hyoe for the brand has cooled, but I'm not as burnt out as I was last month. Still have a few books and comics to keep up with.

tim1138

Damn, just read Big Barda's first appearance. Great character design, immediately catches your attention. Makes me want to skip the other three comics and jump to the next Miracleman issue.

Reading the Fourth World for the first time? Great choice. That is my absolute, all time favorite story ever.

Reading the Fourth World for the first time? Great choice. That is my absolute, all time favorite story ever.

Yep, partway through the second omnibus and loving it. So many new characters* and all of them super interesting.

*(to me and as I as I understand, to everyone at that time)

tim1138

Yep, partway through the second omnibus and loving it. So many new characters* and all of them super interesting.

*(to me and as I as I understand, to everyone at that time)

Superman and Jimmy Olsen are pretty much the only non Kirby created characters in the whole thing. The Newsboy Legion, Dan Turpin, and Guardian were characters he created in the 40s with Joe Simon, but Intergang, the New Gods, and the Forever People were all new to this story.

Messi. I have a confession. I like Harley better with blonde hair where only the tips are dyed (very light) red and blue. The Jim Lee cover is super rad.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Superman and Jimmy Olsen are pretty much the only non Kirby created characters in the whole thing. The Newsboy Legion, Dan Turpin, and Guardian were characters he created in the 40s with Joe Simon, but Intergang, the New Gods, and the Forever People were all new to this story.
I just finished the first omnibus for the first time, too. It really bums me out that DC had various artists redraw Kirby's Superman and Olsen to fit the one basic model sheet they deemed necessary to always be used, without exception. So stupid.

Top Bottom