• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

tim1138

Whats the point of the other lantern corps? What do they do?

They all channel different parts of the emotional spectrum. Red is rage, Orange is avarice/greed, Yellow is fear, Green is will, Blue is hope, Indigo is compassion, Violet is love, White is life, and Black is death. Their powers all interact with each other in different ways, so Blue can heal Red, Violet can convert others to their Corps, Reds blood becomes plasma that they spit at people, etc.

GAMEPROFF said:
Thanks for the explanations, I think I really have to watch the movie at some point now. At least its easier to access as the books

Don't do that.

shingi70

Banned
Not surprised. Love Seeley's work on Revival.

He brings in an interesting idea that I don't believe has been in the series before. There's multiple teams running mutiple Ops at the same time sigh mutiple wings for Active roster members and those in recovery's. It's pulled info play in the Katana Deadshot mini series.

Speaking of which I'm enjoying that series and liking he Katana story the most. It's less of the Stoic Katana of the more recent years and the more personable Katana from the Batman and the Outsiders many series. I'm not sure I like where Barr is not taking Halo, but there still 4 more issues left.

Deadahot is sorta weird and depressing in an interesting way. Not as fucked up as that 80s series where his kid is raped and murdered but still grim compared to the Katana story.

Indigo is compassion.

Ah, right. It was compassion or tranquility or something, but I couldn't remember and was too damn lazy to look it up :p

Ah, I see.
Thanks for the explanations, I think I really have to watch the movie at some point now. At least its easier to access as the books.

Its really a problem for me. The New 52 is still to young to not start with the first issue but there to many Volumes at this point.

Hope the DC MU movie will be great.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

How about Spider-Man?

I would be fine with both Miles and Peter just being Spider-Man. Marvel though, probably wouldn't be happy with that long-term, so we'll end up with a change at some point anyway. Same thing for Sam Wilson, that's only a matter of time now. I'd rather he go back to Falcon than the other option, which is being killed off.

As much as I like the new Thor, I always found that weird too. That's his name, it's not a title. You don't just give away your own name!

Messi

I would be fine with both Miles and Peter just being Spider-Man. Marvel though, probably wouldn't be happy with that long-term, so we'll end up with a change at some point anyway. Same thing for Sam Wilson, that's only a matter of time now. I'd rather he go back to Falcon than the other option, which is being killed off.

As much as I like the new Thor, I always found that weird too. That's his name, it's not a title. You don't just give away your own name!

I get the feeling Jane is going to die.

ElNarez

Banned
Hey, btw, Sunstone vol.4: it's got all the good shit. Like, all of it is Way My Shit, if you catch my drift. It's dope. Good comics. Get it.

The writers keep waffling on who the greatest Lantern is. It was supposed to be Sodam Yat for a while (and that was a choice that made sense. Daxamite bullshit powers plus a Green Lantern ring is a nonsense power set).
Not just a GL ring, but the power of Ion.
Ah, I see.
Thanks for the explanations, I think I really have to watch the movie at some point now. At least its easier to access as the books.

Its really a problem for me. The New 52 is still to young to not start with the first issue but there to many Volumes at this point.

Don't watch that movie. Just read Geoff Johns' run.
I get the feeling Jane is going to die.

If she doesn't I'll be upset

Plastic Man! There goes a chunk of my tax refund, and I haven't even received the cheque yet...

sCkmZRA.jpg

Owzers

East of West - good
Crimson Peak - disappointing
Smackdown - GOP debate is the real "real"real fight
Far Cry Primal - just started it, not impressed but really early. Games where you have to gather resources and it's the same three every five feet yeahhhhhh so gamey.

ElNarez

Banned
East of West - good
Crimson Peak - disappointing
Smackdown - GOP debate is the real "real"real fight
Far Cry Primal - just started it, not impressed but really early. Games where you have to gather resources and it's the same three every five feet yeahhhhhh so gamey.

man, can a GOP debate be as crazy as the last one tho? can it be as hype as Shane-O-Mac's return? can it be as hype as Darkseid War, which is a good comic event?

i dunno man

Owzers

man, can a GOP debate be as crazy as the last one tho? can it be as hype as Shane-O-Mac's return? can it be as hype as Darkseid War, which is a good comic event?

i dunno man

Trump going two on one handicap match for the belt, Marco Roboto and Ted the Slithering Storm Cruz.

Haven't they already said there is Asgardian medicine that could cure her, and she just doesn't want to use it? Think it was back in the God of Thunder run.

Basically she doesn't want to use Asgardian techniques because they involve magic, and magic has a price. However, since Odinson can't use Mjolnir, she chooses to use it because she believes the world needs Thor. The part that makes it interesting is that every time she turns back, she gets worse.

Owzers

It's a really nice period drama. It's a Mary Shelly fictional biography. It's like a good film version of a gothic fiction book that doesn't exist.

my main gripe was how it unraveled, i felt like i had already finished the movie after thirty minutes.

Aizo

Banned
I'm so confused about the Marvel universe right now. I haven't read many Marvel comics in a long time, so can somebody point me to a through explanation on how this all works?

How does Miles Morales deal with a living Peter Parker? How many doubles of characters exist? I just don't understand. I've pretty much only been reading Batman and a bunch of Image comics for the last few years.

I'd also really just like to get back into X-Men, but I feel like there is so much backstory split into so many different books. What's the best X-Men experience right now? What do I need to know to understand it?

It's a really nice period drama. It's a Mary Shelly fictional biography. It's like a good film version of a gothic fiction book that doesn't exist.
Agreed. It's a beautiful Gothic romance. The cinematography, the costume and set design, the atmosphere... it's all so beautiful.

I'm so confused about the Marvel universe right now. I haven't read many Marvel comics in a long time, so can somebody point me to a through explanation on how this all works?

How does Miles Morales deal with a living Peter Parker? How many doubles of characters exist? I just don't understand. I've pretty much only been reading Batman and a bunch of Image comics for the last few years.

I'd also really just like to get back into X-Men, but I feel like there is so much backstory split into so many different books. What's the best X-Men experience right now? What do I need to know to understand it?
Chill out, child:

Miles Morales dealing with a living Peter is told in his own series that I think has maybe 2 issues so far.

There are only three "doubles": Old Man Logan (though 616 Logan is dead); Miles Morales; The Maker (Ultimate Reed RIchards. The Maker is busy being a villain in The New Avengers. Old Man Logan is part of the Extraordinary X-Men and also has his own solo title. Miles has his own book (Spider-Man) and is part of the All-New All-Different Avengers.

As far as the "best" X-Men experience right now...I can't recommend any of the ongoings. However: Uncanny X-Men doesn't require any prior knowledge aside from Sabertooth being "inverted," which means instead of bloodlust he is repentant (basically he's the vampire with a soul). All-New X-Men just requires that you know that the Original Five X-Men were brought to the present day. Extraordinary X-Men requires nothing. Probably the best introductory book to the state of things in ANAD Marvel.

Just pick up the books you want to read. They explain everything you need to know within the first issue of the book. At least all the ones I've read so far. The biggest thing you need to know is that Secret Wars is effectively a missing period of time in everyone's minds, so all the books just continue as they were. The other major thing is that the Terrigen Mists (what gives Inhumans their powers) is in the atmosphere, awakening Inhumans and also poisoning and sterilizing mutants. Cyclops apparently did some bad shit to stop the Terrigen Mists and was killed because of it.

PsychBat!

Banned
Ah, I see.

What?
Just read the Geoff Johns' run.

Aizo

Banned
Chill out, child:
I'm calm, haha. I'm just confused. Thanks for the guidance!
The other major thing is that the Terrigen Mists (what gives Inhumans their powers) is in the atmosphere, awakening Inhumans and also poisoning and sterilizing mutants. Cyclops apparently did some bad shit to stop the Terrigen Mists and was killed because of it.
Damn. I knew about the Terrigen Mists from an issue of Inhumans, but I had no idea about Cyclops being killed. That's pretty surprising. I think I'll just see what I think of All-New X-Men and I'll check out Extraordinary, because I trust Lemire.

Were either Wolverine and the X-Men or X-Men (with the all fem team) good? I was intrigued by them, but I'm just overwhelmed by the sheer number of X-men series over the past few years.

Messi

Damn. I knew about the Terrigen Mists from an issue of Inhumans, but I had no idea about Cyclops being killed. That's pretty surprising. I think I'll just see what I think of All-New X-Men and I'll check out Extraordinary, because I trust Lemire.

Were either Wolverine and the X-Men or X-Men (with the all fem team) good? I was intrigued by them, but I'm just overwhelmed by the sheer number of X-men series over the past few years.

Yes to Wolverine and the X-Men, X-Men was booooooooring as shit.

Btw read the current Wolverine solo book. It's about X-23 taking the Wolverine mantle after Logan died. It's amazing.

I've only read the first trade of Wolverine and the X-Men, but I enjoyed it a lot. Very fun book. Haven't read the other. Out of the Marvel NOW! pre-Secret Wars X-books (seems more ridiculous when typed), I'd recommend Spurrier's X-Force and Bendis' Uncanny X-Men. The ones I've read obviously.

EDIT: If we're counting Wolverine books, I'd recommend Old Man Logan. Haven't read All-New Wolverine.

Messi

I've only read the first trade of Wolverine and the X-Men, but I enjoyed it a lot. Very fun book. Haven't read the other. Out of the Marvel NOW! pre-Secret Wars X-books (seems more ridiculous when typed), I'd recommend Spurrier's X-Force and Bendis' Uncanny X-Men.

I'd read All-New X-Men starting out with Uncanny. They crossover issue to issue as shit goes on between both schools. Also both are fun reads even if all new feels directionless near the end.

So Star Wars: The Clone Wars apparently has a watching order. Good thing to find that out half way through S3.
I'd read All-New X-Men starting out with Uncanny. They crossover issue to issue as shit goes on between both schools. Also both are fun reads even if all new feels directionless near the end.

I'd read ANXM if only for Trial of Jean Grey.

Messi

This is worse than when the heat beat the spurs in the finals. Squirming.

okay, not that bad, but it's bad.

I have the debate on the tv. I found a channel showing it. Why do they keep talking over each other and being rude to the host?

So Star Wars: The Clone Wars apparently has a watching order. Good thing to find that out half way through S3.

I'd read ANXM if only for Trial of Jean Grey.

Absolutely. I really enjoyed both books.

Owzers

I have the debate on the tv. I found a channel showing it. Why do they keep talking over each other and being rude to the host?

Absolutely. I really enjoyed both books.

In fairness to the candidates, the moderator is Wolf Blitzer and he exists to be walked over. A lot of debate moderation is to ask a question and hope for the best, no control whatsoever, and with terrible people come terrible exchanges. Trump and Cruz have basically decided to unite against Trump, the first hour was throwing many off-topic attacks and the moderation didn't bother cleaning it up.

In fairness to the candidates, the moderator is Wolf Blitzer and he exists to be walked over. A lot of debate moderation is to ask a question and hope for the best, no control whatsoever, and with terrible people come terrible exchanges. Trump and Cruz have basically decided to unite against Trump, the first hour was throwing many off-topic attacks and the moderation didn't bother cleaning it up.

Which you wouldn't expect with a name like Wolf Blitzer.

is this Jack Cole Plastic Man?

You're just reading the best comics, dude

You read comics?

What's good my man, give me some recommendations. Getting mildly irritated by Scott Snyder's exposition at the moment, but balancing it out by plowing through the glorious insanity of Punisher MAX.

Giant Days vol 1 is $3 on CMX. You people no longer have an excuse to skip out on the best hijinks book.
nice, I've been meaning to return to that since everyone (including a friend irl!) hyped it up so much. I read the first issue when it came out and thought it was just ok

Don't sleep on The Spire, friends

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I see there is a Jim Zub sale going on too. Guess I should have waited a couple weeks to pick up Wayward. Oh well. It was still well worth it at $1.99 an issue.

Giant Days vol 1 is $3 on CMX. You people no longer have an excuse to skip out on the best hijinks book.

I still have an excuse. Boom doesn't offer back ups of their titles. They clearly don't want my business.

Owzers

These are some pretty good sales even if they are small in scope. It's at these times that i wish i were a comic reader and not just a Trump supporter.

Trump 2016.

Li Kao

Oh nooooo, so I missed the Lumberjanes sale where I planned to pick the three issues not included in the hulble bundle.
So, I already asked but the fuck given that day was in the negative zone : is there a defined rythm to CMX sales ? I mean is there one or more days in the week when you know that there will be a new sale ?

Top Bottom