• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

Green Lantern (vol 2) #7 from 1961.
Here's a couple crappy cellphone pictures:

I'm pretty sure there's a modern retelling of it prior to the Emerald Twilight arc (Green Lantern vol 3 #48-#50) and probably again during Johns run, but this is the basis that has remained cannon since it was first published.

I had just read John's run recently, I don't think there was ever a straight forward story about his fall. Just when he was with Hal Jordan taking down Atrocitus, and some of his Korugar background. I think emerald dawn 2 is kind of what I'm looking for but it's out of print.

I replayed AO recently and, from a visual perspective, that game is actually really good. I actually enjoyed that game more than AK.

I'm sure there's an issue or two that's pre-Parallax Hal where the whole downfall of Sinestro is played out. Since that's when it happened.

Yeah AO is still my favorite in terms of voice acting and plot, though the reveal was pretty lame in someways, at least they handled the character better than the other three games.

JTripper

I started reading Diggle's run on Daredevil. Not great but not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I'm keeping my expectations low though for when it moves into Shadowland.

Cheska

In honor of Saga coming out today, I figured I would remind everyone to go preorder this super awesome Lying Cat statue over on the Skybound store <3 <3

lying-cat-painted.jpg

tim1138

I had just read John's run recently, I don't think there was ever a straight forward story about his fall. Just when he was with Hal Jordan taking down Atrocitus, and some of his Korugar background. I think emerald dawn 2 is kind of what I'm looking for but it's out of print.

I'm too lazy to go look through stuff, but I wonder if Tomasi ever addressed in GLC with Sora. I know it was alluded to during Sinestro Corps War, but I can't remember if they did anything with it before or after that.

The basic gist is that Sinestro used his powers as a GL to basically enslave Korugar and appointed himself dictator to give it order. The Guardians found out, stripped him of his ring, and banished him to Qward in the Anti-Matter Universe where he met up with the Weaponer and had his yellow ring made. The ring being yellow because GL rings didn't work against the color yellow.

It's been tweaked up a bit over the years, but his Silver Age origin is still pretty much the definitive version.

Zombine

Banned
In honor of Saga coming out today, I figured I would remind everyone to go preorder this super awesome Lying Cat statue over on the Skybound store <3 <3

Franny I'm super freaking scared of this paint job. It reminds me of something my grandma would paint at ceramic class and that's not even the mass produced version. I'm scared of a sloppy paint job. I want to love this but I'm not there yet, I really want to see it in person.

Edit: The other pics look way better. I'll place a preorder.

With the Justice League being like 10x stronger than they usually are right now you'd think the fights would have more scale to them. I hope Geoff delivers in the finale. And why is Superman not getting any lines and Cyborg possessed again? Geoff must hate characterization like AIDS.

Still enjoying the arc though.

Cheska

I feel like I am the only one who isn't head over heels in love with Lying Cat. Ghuus on the other hand...
I wouldn't be surprised if they make Ghuus merchandise. He gets a ton of love from fans.

I like Lying Cat. But I'm also a statue snob and won't buy things that look like they might turn out iffy.
$100 shipped isn't that bad for an 8 inch statue from a incredibly popular series that doesn't have a whole lot of merchandise available. I mean, hell, DC releases figures and statues monthly at that price that are of far less quality.

Messi

I wouldn't be surprised if they make Ghuus merchandise. He gets a ton of love from fans.

$100 shipped isn't that bad for an 8 inch statue from a incredibly popular series that doesn't have a whole lot of merchandise available. I mean, hell, DC releases figures and statues monthly at that price that are of far less quality.

Tattoos. People have tattoos of him.

Did you see my Batwoman shipped Cheska?

Finished Axis. A slight improvement over Age of Ultron but not by much. Remender's writing style through the 9 issues seems all over the place though. #1 was filled with Bendis type who-said-that-quip moments and #2 reverted to his love for characters that like to keep feeling sorry for themselves.

A couple of decent moments though (mainly Deadpool and Karnage). Loved the Loki moment but that might just be my hangover from JiM. Becuase that moment did not feel earned in these nine issues.

With the Justice League being like 10x stronger than they usually are right now you'd think the fights would have more scale to them. I hope Geoff delivers in the finale. And why is Superman not getting any lines and Cyborg possessed again? Geoff must hate characterization like AIDS.

Well, for one thing, the only ones who receieved a straight powerup are Luthor and Supes. Diana and Hal got shit, Shazam is still working out the new powerset, Flash is only partially in control of his body, and Cruz and Cyborg are currently on team evil. League is maybe 1.5 times stronger than usual, if that.

Well, for one thing, the only ones who receieved a straight powerup are Luthor and Supes. Diana and Hal got shit, Shazam is still working out the new powerset, Flash is only partially in control of his body, and Cruz and Cyborg are currently on team evil. League is maybe 1.5 times stronger than usual, if that.

Yeah but the arc is almost over and I want to see Shazam, Supes, and Flash bust shit up. I don't see their powerups lasting past Rebirth.

Yeah but the arc is almost over and I want to see Shazam, Supes, and Flash bust shit up. I don't see their powerups lasting past Rebirth.

Well, no. They're probably going to get undone in an issue or 2 (except Shazam, I expect his changes to stick around, it's a very interesting alteration).

Agreed that some bigass fights would be nice, I suspect we're getting that next week after how Luthor entered the scene.

That's Spider-Man alright!

Could be the new costume but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't. Either way, it's not like it's gonna look that different regardless if this is an official picture of it or not.

no movie has really gone off the rails with the spiderman costume. it's all been as expected.

I haven't read Darkseid war yet but I thought Geoff has been terrible at juggling characters outside the trinity & lex, and I'm a huge fan of his work. It was absurd during amazo virus when over half the league was bed ridden.

Messi

They could be lying about the prototype vs production... You see. Lying.

This is the original art by Juan.

$400 considering buying it actually. He paints the colored bits on the original art.

Messi

Is it safe to post that intention in this thread?

If someone wants to drop 400 on it more power to them. I have a few irons in the fire for Harley original art.

Plus Zombine already snaked art that I showed him with the intention of buying. So I'm not surprised anymore when it happens. Wouldn't post it if I wasn't willing to take the risk. But thanks for trying to give me a heads up :p

Hot damn Justice League was amazing. Fabok made my jaw drop a few times. Reading this story has made me remember why I fell in love with the DC Universe in the first place. I love these characters when done right.

Watches was kinda dissapointing. There's some decent enough character work in there and the art is good, but Snyder kills any scariness off by over explaining the shit out of everything with clumsy exposition to point out all the "unique" twists on witches, and showing way too much so that it's ultimately just an ok monster story with a cool premise instead of something truly horrifying. Way too clumsy and obvious to be really scary. The opening of the first issue is by far the best and most unsettling of the run. Jock is great though and I really like the paint splatter aestehtic. I might dig it a little more on a reread though, which tends to happen with Snyder as I can focus more on what he gets right than what he does wrong (too much exposition. Always too much).

Reread Snyder's court/night of the owls run concurrently with Wytches and it's much better. I enjoyed it a lot more my second time around too. It's too condensed to have the same power as amorrison's run, but Snyder's pseudo-reselling of that arc is a pretty good way to start New 52 Batman as he mines a lot of good character work in there, and he's a boss at making a page turner. I was even ok with the twist at the end this time around since I obviously didn't view it as a twist my second read through and was able to better appreciate what it adds to the story. Still, the highlight of the run is definitely the maze, those issues were amazing.

Also, Capullo is definitely in contention for best Batman artist, easily.

Gonna reread death of the family next, and then move on to the first Zero Year trade. Good stuff.

Well, Hal got the power of a god - but decides to give it up. It was in that amazing Tom King GL one-shot.

So I have read the first arcs of both Joe Kelly's Deadpool and Cable & Deadpool and I like the latter the best. So I'm gonna trek all the way through that first.

Now that I have Marvel Unlimited, what is some of the best X-Men stories to read?

Boogiepop

Placed an IST order for Sunstone 4, Kill Your Boyfriend Vinamarama, and the first 3 complete collections for Runaways (I learned my lesson from when I picked up all of Exiles and dealt with that crap Claremont part that I definitely didn't need to own, so I followed the advice I got when I asking about this and skipped the 4th collection that has different authorship. I do intend to give it an MU try though once I get to that, and if I enjoy it I guess I can always buy a copy then.)

Also, Spiderverse is definitely the sort of thing to MU rather than actually buy, right?

I'm too lazy to go look through stuff, but I wonder if Tomasi ever addressed in GLC with Sora. I know it was alluded to during Sinestro Corps War, but I can't remember if they did anything with it before or after that.

The basic gist is that Sinestro used his powers as a GL to basically enslave Korugar and appointed himself dictator to give it order. The Guardians found out, stripped him of his ring, and banished him to Qward in the Anti-Matter Universe where he met up with the Weaponer and had his yellow ring made. The ring being yellow because GL rings didn't work against the color yellow.

From what I can remember, they showed how radically changed Korugar's society was changed in the aftermath of Sinestro and how Sora was ostracized after becoming a Green Lantern even though she was a brilliant surgeon.

Afrodium

Banned
So I have read the first arcs of both Joe Kelly's Deadpool and Cable & Deadpool and I like the latter the best. So I'm gonna trek all the way through that first.

Now that I have Marvel Unlimited, what is some of the best X-Men stories to read?

Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing X-Men are great. I'm reading Remender's Uncanny X-Force at the moment and it's fantastic, but probably not a good intro X-Men book. You can always go back to Claremont's Uncanny X-Men if you don't mind how dated it is.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just ordered Daredevil by Bendis Ultimate Collection Vol. 2! Yay!

Love how I found this one shop who has tons of OOP books for laughable cheap prices.

Was pleasantly surprised to see the Kill Your Boyfriend/Vimanarama Deluxe Edition was only $20 MSRP at the store today. Excited to reread KYB and I've never read the latter so I'm looking forward to that.

I also need impressions of that new Superman comic by Neal Adams. How does it compare to Batman Odyssey?

Green Lantern (vol 2) #7 from 1961.
Here's a couple crappy cellphone pictures:

I'm pretty sure there's a modern retelling of it prior to the Emerald Twilight arc (Green Lantern vol 3 #48-#50) and probably again during Johns run, but this is the basis that has remained cannon since it was first published.
That and Hal's sacrifice to save the Earth when he was Parallex have to be the only two events that Johns' is using to hail him as "the greatest," because I can't think of any others.
Can we all appreciate this double page spread from New Suicide Squad #17. Juan Ferreyra doing work!
That's definitely an action spread
Awesome, I'm excited to check it out then. I like Max Landis thanks to Wrestling Isn't Wrestling and his Death of Superman videos... maybe he'll write a decent movie one day too. If not, hopefully we'll see him continue writing comics every once in a while.
As long as it's not a Spider-Man book. He claims he loves the character, but I can't shake the feeling that he hates how people like him more than Superman.
Has this been posted yet? Our possible first look at MCU Spider-Man Costume.
cpQfBye.jpg
"It's definitely what you expected." -Axel Alonso, 2016

Yeah AO is still my favorite in terms of voice acting and plot, though the reveal was pretty lame in someways, at least they handled the character better than the other three games.
AO is pretty solid. It's got a good story, the side missions are the best in any of the games, the Dark Knight system is actually pretty cool. As is the solving of various murders. The game had three major problems: the bugs and glitches (it was prone to crashes a lot), the world (was too big for it's own good), and the electro-gauntlets (they break the combat). Other than that, it'd probably be the best of the Arkham games. No joke.

It's been tweaked up a bit over the years, but his Silver Age origin is still pretty much the definitive version.
I think it's funny that the Guardians somehow never expected Sinestro to become a dictator. Like, he bragged about how his sector was completely crime-free and the most orderly sector there was. Yet they never saw it coming...

Finished Axis. A slight improvement over Age of Ultron but not by much. Remender's writing style through the 9 issues seems all over the place though. #1 was filled with Bendis type who-said-that-quip moments and #2 reverted to his love for characters that like to keep feeling sorry for themselves.

A couple of decent moments though (mainly Deadpool and Karnage). Loved the Loki moment but that might just be my hangover from JiM. Becuase that moment did not feel earned in these nine issues.
Well, it's been said before, but from what I understand there was a lot of meddling in an arc that was supposed to be Remender's capstone to his Uncanny saga (Uncanny X-Force/Uncanny Avengers). However, the higer-ups wanted it to be an event, so Remender basically said "fuck it" and went full ham. As someone who loves that saga, it upsets me dearly. I would really like to know what Remender's original plans were. What made the cut that would have actually been in his original template for Axis.

X-Men:
Claremont's Uncanny X-Men (at least through the Dark Phoenix Saga): Pretty much redefined X-Men before Morrison came along and did it again. Be wary that the dialogue is very dated, however.

Morrison's New X-Men: Though I don't like the last few arcs, specifically Planet X, it's still highly recommended reading. Especially for an X-Men fan. Though the art is all over the place.

Whedon's Astonishing X-Men: Basically a loose sequel to Morrison's run (not necessary, but it gives Whedon's run more impact), it brings the X-Men back to being superheroes. Whereas Morrison focused more on the politics of it all. Whedon's run has been my favorite run so far. It has a lot of heart, and has a very emotional ending that made me tear up a lot. Not very many books can claim that.

Bendis' Uncanny X-Men: Not necessarily required or definitive at all. It didn't do anything particularly special, but I enjoyed it a lot. It has some genuinely cool moments. Though, if you don't like Bendis, I wouldn't read it. Plus, reading All-New X-Men for the first few arcs is pretty much required, since a good chunk of UXM's story begins there. I'm not exactly a fan of ANXM, though. Final issue of UXM is pure aces, though.

Other books:

Remender's Uncanny X-Force: Next to Whedon's AXM, this is my favorite X book. Redefining Apocalypse (which is still used now) and writing my favorite version of Deadpool. It has some really strong arcs, both plot and character. It's a very dark book, however, generally dealing with the theme of whether or not killing is always the best way to solve a problem (assuming it's an option). Plus it leads up to Remender's Uncanny Avengers, which is also awesome.

Rucka's Cyclops: This book does have more than just Rucka as a writer, but Rucka's initial run is the best. Just a fun space pirate adventure with young Cyclops and the Starjammers. Also a great Cyclops story, even if it is the O5 Cyclops.

Spurrier's X-Force: Again, a very dark and violent book dealing with "how far is too far), but still really good. If you like the good guys being not-so-good guys, this book is perfect. It also has one of the best retcons in a long time (Forget-Me-Not).

X-Men: Age of X: Just a really cool alternate timeline story. Not much beyond that. It gets referenced in Spurrier's X-Force.

Hope that helps, It's just off of the books that I really liked. There are a couple others, but I haven't read a whole lot of them to really recommend them. Those are all books that I've read the whole run of (save for Claremont, but through the Dark Phoenix Saga is a lot).

Has anyone else here tried out Stela? It's a new digital comics imprint focused on making comics to read on your phone. Which is cool for me, because i'm on my phone all the time but I'm not about to read comics optimized for print on it. There's stuff from Ron Wimberly, Irene Koh, Victor Santos, Jen Bartel, et al. I read a little over half of them, the Wimberly story about 3 young ninjas is the main standout and the Koh one is also really good. It's $4.99 for a monthly subscription which i'm down with. There's enough here that i'm already enjoying and it sounds like there's more cool stuff on the way. I recommend giving it a look.

Top Bottom