• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

Sandfox

There's an X-Men Gold interview on Newsarama and I found it interesting because Guggenheim is actually saying some good things here, but we'll see if he can deliver. There are also some preview pages as well.

http://www.newsarama.com/33025-x-me...rhood-the-x-mansion-classic-superheroics.html

These are the words he has for the X-fans skeptical about the relaunch:
There are so many X-Men, and so many X-Men fans, that it’s impossible to make all of them happy, so you go into this knowing that that’s just not going to happen. I’m approaching it as an X-Men fan – I’ll stack my X-Men fan bona fides against anybody, any day of the week – so my barometer has been: I’m writing the X-Men book that I would most want to read. I’m hoping that what I want to see as a fan is what a lot of people want to see; again, knowing that not every X-Men fan wants the same thing. Bottom line, I am going into X-Men Gold with the best of intentions both as a fan and as a writer.

It’s also worth pointing out that it’s hard to find an editor who’s as much an X-Men fan as Daniel Ketchum. As a result - and this is true across the entire line - these are the sort of X-Men comics that fans will really love. So much of this relaunch is Daniel’s vision. I’d love to take credit for the X-Mansion landing in Central Park, and the direction in terms of getting back to basics, but I’m really running with the ball Daniel put in play. He keeps me honest. He’s an amazing editor, and he really loves these books. I think you’ll feel that. Plus, he chose Ardian. If you just look at Ardian’s art, that’s very much a visual representation of what we’re trying to accomplish with this book.

There have been a lot of different X-Men relaunches over the years, and I’ve been reading along as a fan. What makes this relaunch different is that it’s more about the X-Men as heroes than the X-Men as a struggling minority fighting for their very existence. That existential crisis is tabled for the time being. It’s been a while since the X-Men have really been able to catch their breath and not worry about the end of mutantkind. We’re really going back to the days where the X-Men could just be heroes, and play softball games, and have soap opera stories and romantic relationships. It’s something you haven’t seen in the X-Men books for a while. So for super longtime fans – A.K.A. old people, like myself – it’s an exciting return to the basics. And for fans that are younger, it’ll be exciting to see the X-Men in a way that they might not have really seen in recent memory.

nothing Scott Snyder has ever written for Batman (including black mirror and court of owls) is as good as Year One. not to make light of his work though, I've loved a few stories from the guy. but nah.

Ross61

nothing Scott Snyder has ever written for Batman (including black mirror and court of owls) is as good as Year One.

RXyxa_s-200x150.gif

WolfTime

Banned
Is it pretty much a nearly unanimous consensus that Alan Moore is the GOAT comic book writer?

I mean who comes close? Morrison

TheFlow

Banned

TheFlow

Banned
All that double shipping for 3 books at 3.99. Nope.
Yea i am basically stuck with generation x because I can't handle any more double shipping. And that goes for both companies.

I think some of the cap books will double ship but I am fine with that

Sandfox

Yea i am basically stuck with generation x because I can't handle any more double shipping. And that goes for both companies.

I think some of the cap books will double ship but I am fine with that
More and more big books will start double shipping because the market has shown that they accept it. The big thing will be to see if there are any tweaks to the model.
That last paragraph is covered in memba berries

Memba when X-Men softball

Memba when
Well that is a big part of the relaunch lol.

I just think everything about X-Men Gold screams "this is going to be the bland one"

Was true of the original Gold team tbf

TheFlow

Banned
More and more big books will start double shipping because the market has shown that they accept it. The big thing will be to see if there are any tweaks to the model.

Well that is a big part of the relaunch lol.
Lol wait what!? just because DC has been successfully doesn't mean everyone should start doing it. Marvel is just asking for them to be DOA

Is it pretty much a nearly unanimous consensus that Alan Moore is the GOAT comic book writer?

That's like asking if Pele is the GOAT. Moore has some very good works but a lot of it also has to do with the time and place that work was created in.

Personally, I think there are a lot of other works that have reached higher peaks but it is hard to find other writers that have so much output that can be considered better than good/very good.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
to be fair r/comicbooks are better than kotakuinaction because there are at least people with high up votes arguing ow stupid the complaint is.

I really don't miss going there at all. Such a terrible subreddit.

I guess. Personally, I don't love most of Moore's work, but a lot of that is in relation to his general crazy old wizardry.

I also don't understand roughly half of Morrison's stuff, so he's not in my pick for GOAT either.

Sandfox

Lol wait what!? just because DC has been successfully doesn't mean everyone should start doing it. Marvel is just asking for them to be DOA
It's going to happen and if it doesn't work you will see adjustments. X-Men and Guardians are already double-shipping, with certain other books already going 18+ a year. ASM will probably start double-shipping every month starting this summer as well.

I just think everything about X-Men Gold screams "this is going to be the bland one"

Was true of the original Gold team tbf
Yeah, this is definitely going to be the safe book, though it is an interesting contrast when looking at the rest of the Marvel Universe currently.

It looks like that artist just drew Luke Cage and put him in a different outfit.

TheFlow

Banned
It's going to happen and if it doesn't work you will see adjustments. X-Men and Guardians are already double-shipping, with certain other books already going 18+ a year. ASM will probably start double-shipping every month starting this summer as well.

Yeah, this is definitely going to be the safe book, though it is an interesting contrast when looking at the rest of the Marvel Universe currently.
Well looking forward to the next marvel relaunch when the double shipping is DOA

Sandfox

Well looking forward to the next marvel relaunch when the double shipping is DOA

Well I mean in the January thread you were pretty vocal about Marvel putting out too many books and that they can't do what they did in 2012 now that it's 2017. Double-shipping is a big part of how DC reduced the number of titles they release. Personally I prefer titles to stay monthly, but it's not what I expect to happen.

TheFlow

Banned
Well I mean in the January thread you were pretty vocal about Marvel putting out too many books and that they can't do what they did in 2012 now that it's 2017. Double-shipping is a big part of how DC reduced the number of titles they release. Personally I prefer titles to stay monthly, but it's not what I expect to happen.

but this is Marvel. with all the books they have announced so far up to March they haven't changed. Rocket Racoon #1 is a perfect example.

the nintendo of the comic world.

VanWinkle

Civil War - quite good. Definitely not as great as Winter Soldier, though. But yeah, I enjoyed it.

It's so much worse from a visual standpoint than BvS, but character motivations were so much better in this.

Sandfox

but this is Marvel. with all the books they have announced so far up to March they haven't changed. Rocket Racoon #1 is a perfect example.

the nintendo of the comic world.
While I get what you mean, that's not really an accurate comparison lol.

Rocket Raccoon is happening because the movie is coming the same month and Rosenberg is apparently focusing on his other two books. The problem there IMO was that the Rosenberg series should have been announced as a mini.

I agree with you that Marvel hasn't really changed, but I'm curious to see what they say this summer for various reasons.

Civil War - quite good. Definitely not as great as Winter Soldier, though. But yeah, I enjoyed it.

It's so much worse from a visual standpoint than BvS, but character motivations were so much better in this.
For a second there I thought you were talking about the comics and I was confused.

Owzers

Started RE7 PS4 finally.

Resist.

The beginning area's muddy green textures were really hard on my eyes, i need 4k or something, this is one ugly start.

MG310

I notice you refrained from mentioning your level in Overwatch because it would disgust everyone in this thread.

I'm guessing it is at least 1000 higher than mine.

EDIT: Yes, looked it up - it would have been almost exactly 1000 but I decided to play like 5 comp games when I was already on tilt before I started playing.

kmfdmpig

are we posting hot takes??

Enigma is a better superhero deconstruction than Watchmen and also a better comic

Speaking of superhero deconstruction - Has anyone else read Martial Law. I suspect that Ennis was partially inspired by it when he wrote The Boys. There are tons of graphical flourishes that really help with world building as well (mostly graffiti and billboards strewn about).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshal_Law_(comics)

List!

Empowered: Soldier of Love #1
Gotham Academy Second Semester #6
Wonder Woman #16
ROM Annual #2017
East of West #31
Motor Crush #3
Wicked + Divine #26
Jessica Jones #5
Star Wars Doctor Aphra #4
Divinity III Shadowman #1
Khaal #2

Nudull

Banned
List time? Okay, I guess.

All-Star Batman #7
Black Widow #11
Tec #950
Sorcerers Supreme #5
Jessica Jones #5
Justice League/Power Rangers #2
Ms. Marvel #15
Power Man and Iron Fist #13
Star Trek: Boldly Go #5
Steven Universe #1
Suicide Squad #11
Titans #8
Totally Awesome Hulk #16

There's an X-Men Gold interview on Newsarama and I found it interesting because Guggenheim is actually saying some good things here, but we'll see if he can deliver. There are also some preview pages as well.

http://www.newsarama.com/33025-x-me...rhood-the-x-mansion-classic-superheroics.html

These are the words he has for the X-fans skeptical about the relaunch:

I mean, that's fine, but he's talking about X-Men Gold.

Hell, even X-Men Blue I'm only reading because I hope Bunn has a take on Cyclops that doesn't suck.

List

Death be Damned 1

All-Star Batman 7
Deathstroke 12
JLA Rebirth
New Super-Man 8
Wonder Woman 16

Birthright 22
East of West 31
Moonshine 5

All-New Wolverine 17
ASM: Renew Your Vows 4
Black Widow 11
Foolkiller 4
Guardians of the Galaxy 17
IvX 4
Jessica Jones 5
Kingpin 1
Ms. Marvel 15
Power Man and Iron Fist 13
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra 4
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 17
Unworthy Thor 4

Sandfox

List

Death be Damned 1

All-Star Batman 7
Deathstroke 12
JLA Rebirth
New Super-Man 8
Wonder Woman 16

Birthright 22
East of West 31
Moonshine 5

All-New Wolverine 17
ASM: Renew Your Vows 4
Black Widow 11
Foolkiller 4
Guardians of the Galaxy 17
IvX 4
Jessica Jones 5
Kingpin 1
Ms. Marvel 15
Power Man and Iron Fist 13
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra 4
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 17
Unworthy Thor 4

My dude.

...speaking of which, what are the essential Spider-Man runs? I just finished Conway's run, and I have all of Stern's, David's, and JMS'. I also have DeMatteis but wasn't sure if I should read the whole thing because it gets into the Clone Saga at the end. Am I missing anything?

Sandfox

Given that the Spider-Man movie is coming in July and what's going on in the next ASM arc it seems like things are lining up pretty well for some changes to come to that book like what's happening with Guardians and Rocket Raccoon.

A more back to the basics approach is what Peter needs right now. A lot of people complain about Peter and MJ not being married, but the real thing missing from ASM right now is how different everything is where the book doesn't even take place in New York anymore and Peter doesn't hit the streets. The biggest complaint about ASM you see is that people don't see this as their Peter, while RYV gets praised for delivering the Peter people want. I don't really know who I would want to write it though.

I mean, that's fine, but he's talking about X-Men Gold.

Hell, even X-Men Blue I'm only reading because I hope Bunn has a take on Cyclops that doesn't suck.
We'll see if the creative teams and the editors can deliver on their directive.

...speaking of which, what are the essential Spider-Man runs? I just finished Conway's run, and I have all of Stern's, David's, and JMS'. I also have DeMatteis but wasn't sure if I should read the whole thing because it gets into the Clone Saga at the end. Am I missing anything?

Stan Lee

list, such as it is

The best ever Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 17

And OMG Jonesy 10 Fucking love this comic!

Maybe Wolverine 17 and the Terminal Protocol one shot

Top Bottom