• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

S3y3H2e.gif
aIaFk.gif

VanWinkle

Finally got Ms. Marvel Vol. 1. It's been awhile since I bought a Marvel OHC, since I've been wanting for them to go down in price on Amazon.

eHW5hh8.jpg

For the Marvel NOW line, I still need, in order of priority:

-Uncanny X-Men Vol 2
-Thor Vol. 1 (Jane Thor)
-GotG Vol. 3
-Hawkeye Vol. 3

Not too bad at all! (Avengers by Hickman stuff I'm getting in omnibus format)

Finally got Ms. Marvel Vol. 1. It's been awhile since I bought a Marvel OHC, since I've been wanting for them to go down in price on Amazon.

eHW5hh8.jpg

For the Marvel NOW line, I still need, in order of priority:

-Uncanny X-Men Vol 2
-Thor Vol. 1 (Jane Thor)
-GotG Vol. 3
-Hawkeye Vol. 3

Not too bad at all! (Avengers by Hickman stuff I'm getting in omnibus format)

- Hawkeye Vol. 3
- Need

No. Just no. The Scrubs Season 9 of OHCs.

Messi

a9a9d90e82aa331541838554c1bd01e7.gif

I wish we could still have animated avatars. I'd totally use this all day.

DO NOT BUY HAWKEYE VOL 3 OHC. TRASH BOOK.

I'm reading X-men Age of Apocalypse Volume 1 Alpha and cackling at the reaction's to Betsy when the group of 4 X-Men get shunted back in time with Legion.

'An asian woman with a british accent?' *guffaws*

Was the UK population extremely homogenised in the 90s or were the (I'm assuming) US writers just sheltered as hell? Lmaoooo.

Speaking of though I had no idea Funko released another wave of X-Men Pops. As soon as I saw the Pop Funko Psylocke yesterday I gay gasped and snatched her up immediately.

I wish Funko's were more prominent during X-Men DOFP's release because I would have loved a Funko version of Fan Bingbing's Blink.

VanWinkle

Bought a $0.49 copy of the Spider-Island OHC off of a third-party seller on Amazon, and it came in great condition, AND signed by Humberto Ramos! (I know not everyone loves his art but I really like it.)

So yeah, that made me super happy!

Hot take

Why does America wear spandex shorts. Why do women gotta wear less practical outfits period.

It distracts me every time.
I don't see how a girl who spends time on the move and brawling all the time is impractical by wearing spandex shorts. It's just the shorts.
Same reason as Carol's leotard costume.

Reasons.
Carol's leotard didn't make sense because of her personality and history. "As a member of the Air Force, I shall respect my roots by wearing a leotard, sash, and mask, with a lightning bolt. Just like my COs told me."

caliph95

I don't see how a girl who spends time on the move and brawling all the time is impractical by wearing spandex shorts. It's just the shorts.

Carol's leotard didn't make sense because of her personality and history. "As a member of the Air Force, I shall respect my roots by wearing a leotard, sash, and mask, with a lightning bolt. Just like my COs told me."

It was a shitty costume too her current character is debatable but her costume is at least better.

TheFlow

Banned

there more practical outfits than a beanie, jacket and spandex shorts. given her power set it is just odd. it is the outfit a street level hero who fights burglars would wear.

there more practical outfits than a beanie, jacket and spandex shorts. given her power set it is just odd. it is the outfit a street level hero who fights burglars would wear.
So? Again, it reflects in her character. For someone who spends most of her time dimension hopping, there's a part of her that just wants to be a normal street kid. Plus it's her job. She sees it as just something she does. After spend enough time working somewhere, you stop worrying about what you're going to wear. Plus, she is comfortable and can easily move around. I don't see how that isn't practical. Monica wears a trenchcoat. How is that practical for high speed combat? How are capes? Period? Let's not act like practicality just affects women. 80% of superhero costumes aren't practical.

TheFlow

Banned
So? Again, it reflects in her character. For someone who spends most of her time dimension hopping, there's a part of her that just wants to be a normal street kid. Plus it's her job. She sees it as just something she does. After spend enough time working somewhere, you stop worrying about what you're going to wear. Plus, she is comfortable and can easily move around. I don't see how that isn't practical. Monica wears a trenchcoat. How is that practical for high speed combat? How are capes? Period? Let's not act like practicality just affects women. 80% of superhero costumes aren't practical.
America's outfit makes no sense though. Serves no purpose, and there better clothes that still provide movement. who cares about her character? I am talking about the clothes.
she can appear casual without being tacky. jacket and shorts is never a good combo.

the outfit is only decent with pants.

Monica can turn into light..your point is moot on that one fam.

Hobobloke

- Hawkeye Vol. 3
- Need

No. Just no. The Scrubs Season 9 of OHCs.

DO NOT BUY HAWKEYE VOL 3 OHC. TRASH BOOK.

That's good to know, I finally picked up the second Hawkeye HC and was wondering if any of the stuff after that was worth picking up.

Also a big thanks to those here who recommended Silver Surfer during the Dan Slott sale on comixology, picked it up on that alone and am 12 issues in and really enjoying it.

Bought a $0.49 copy of the Spider-Island OHC off of a third-party seller on Amazon, and it came in great condition, AND signed by Humberto Ramos! (I know not everyone loves his art but I really like it.)

So yeah, that made me super happy!

He charges for signatures sometimes so that's an even better deal

America's outfit makes no sense though. Serves no purpose, and there better clothes that still provide movement. who cares about her character? I am talking about the clothes.
she can appear casual without being tacky. jacket and shorts is never a good combo.

the outfit is only decent with pants.

Monica can turn into light..your point is moot on that one fam.
It's really not. We were just talking about why costumes are important, and part of that is how they reflect the character. The costume can say a lot about them, because there's a reason they chose it. And even with Monica being light (a power that she still doesn't use to its fullest capabilities), it doesn't ignore the fact that she "wears" a fucking trenchcoat. If you want to get technical, a character who moves as fast as, if not faster than Monica could use that to their advantage before she can change it. And you also ignored the part where I also brought up capes, which operate on a similar principal. America's costume makes plenty of sense, and it's not that hard to grasp. At least moreso than a lot of others (Wolverine's mask "ears")

TheFlow

Banned
It's really not. We were just talking about why costumes are important, and part of that is how they reflect the character. The costume can say a lot about them, because there's a reason they chose it. And even with Monica being light (a power that she still doesn't use to its fullest capabilities), it doesn't ignore the fact that she "wears" a fucking trenchcoat. If you want to get technical, a character who moves as fast as, if not faster than Monica could use that to their advantage before she can change it. And you also ignored the part where I also brought up capes, which operate on a similar principal. America's costume makes plenty of sense, and it's not that hard to grasp. At least moreso than a lot of others (Wolverine's mask "ears")

monica wears a trenchcoat and America wears a jacket with spandex shorts. literally bad costume design 1-0-1. costumes can be important and still make sense, America's is not important because like others have said she just wears clothes and changes costumes a lot. She even has a new one now.

Like I said the spandex and jacket makes no sense. Has nothing do with her character. and serves no purpose.

you keep bringing up other super heroes every time. that has nothing do with what I am saying. I have said numerous times her costume sucks, without relying on bringing up other heroes as reference. I don't care about monica, wolverine, and capes because that has nothing to do with any of my post.

Mindwipe

I'm reading X-men Age of Apocalypse Volume 1 Alpha and cackling at the reaction's to Betsy when the group of 4 X-Men get shunted back in time with Legion.

'An asian woman with a british accent?' *guffaws*

Was the UK population extremely homogenised in the 90s or were the (I'm assuming) US writers just sheltered as hell? Lmaoooo.

IIRC, isn't it supposed to be that they're all aristocracy? They're a bit more... racist. And you might kindly read it that they're supposed to be surprised as they're assuming she's also supposed to be aristocracy, and therefore less likely to be minority. And I suppose you could argue that the alternate timeline had less migration, but that seems unlikely with Japan given the country was destroyed and they remaining populace would very likely have scattered to places like the UK.

IIRC, isn't it supposed to be that they're all aristocracy? They're a bit more... racist. And you might kindly read it that they're supposed to be surprised as they're assuming she's also supposed to be aristocracy, and therefore less likely to be minority. And I suppose you could argue that the alternate timeline had less migration, but that seems unlikely with Japan given the country was destroyed and they remaining populace would very likely have scattered to places like the UK.

Eh?

The whole 'British accent Asian body' thing happens in the prelude setting up the age of apocalypse. It actually happens twice - once in X-Men #40 by Iceman after he, Storm, Psylocke and Bishop try and chase Legion after he time jumps but get amnesia in the process, and again in X-Men #41 by (past) Xavier when he meets Psylocke in person after telepathically communicating with her (this is after the four aforementioned x-men regain their memories from Cable who also tried going back in time to rescue them).

---

I wish Storm would get more costume redesigns using her 90s attire as inspiration. Shoulder pads look great on her.

Mindwipe

Eh?

The whole 'British accent Asian body' thing happens in the prelude setting up the age of apocalypse. It actually happens twice - once in X-Men #40 by Iceman after he, Storm, Psylocke and Bishop try and chase Legion after he time jumps but get amnesia in the process, and again in X-Men #41 by (past) Xavier when he meets Psylocke in person after telepathically communicating with her (this is after the four aforementioned x-men regain their memories from Cable who also tried going back in time to rescue them).

Ah, I'm misremembering, I thought this was after it starts. It's been a while.

So, I guess you could kindly read it as "posh people are a bit racist" in the book, or just "eeks, that reads pretty racist for a book written in the 90's." Probably both.

Malyse

Why is Mark Waid's Archie so absurdly good while Mark Waid's Champions is so meh?
I mean, I like the concept of Champions and the existence of Champions more than I like actually reading Champions. Except the Gwenpool issue, but what isn't better with a little sociopath?

ElNarez

Banned
Why is Mark Waid's Archie so absurdly good while Mark Waid's Champions is so meh?
I mean, I like the concept of Champions and the existence of Champions more than I like actually reading Champions. Except the Gwenpool issue, but what isn't better with a little sociopath?

Because Mark Waid is old and he has nothing of value to say about society or politics as they are understood and acted on by young people.

He does, however, have an incredibly deep knowledge of Archie Comics continuity.

AV Club piece.

That’s not to say that every book about a female superhero should have a woman writing it, but the overall message of The Unstoppable Wasp makes it difficult to ignore the lack of female creators in superhero comics while most of Marvel’s superheroine titles are written by men. At Marvel right now, there’s Tom Taylor on All-New Wolverine, Chris Samnee and Mark Waid on Black Widow, Christopher Hastings on Gwenpool, Brian Michael Bendis on Jessica Jones, Jason Aaron on The Mighty Thor, Robbie Thompson on Silk, Jason Latour on Spider-Gwen, Dennis Hopeless on Spider-Woman, Ryan North on The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, and Matt Owens on the new Elektra series debuting later this month. Many of these are very good to great, but by contrast, there is one Marvel series with a male lead written by a woman: Becky Cloonan’s fantastic, chilling The Punisher. Female writers don’t have equal opportunities in superhero comics, and it reads as disingenuous to have a book about gender disparity in a professional field that doesn’t try to bridge that gap.

Anything here worth picking up?

Considering nobody got back to you...

That Iron Fist 14 is in real rough shape, considering what they want for it, the price is about where it should be.

The Star Wars 1 is a decent price. Also in rough shape, but it's becoming a harder book to find.

Captain Marvel 1 is in bad shape and way overpriced. No deal.

Wonder Woman 178 is a very hard book to find. It looks like there is a staple pop on the top part of the book, but it might be worth looking at anyway.

Kamandi 1 is hot right now because of Kamandi challenge. It isn't that hard to find, but it looks like it's in decent shape.

Marvel Premier 1 is a possible investment piece. It's almost certain that Adam Warlock will show up in a movie, so the price on this book is only going to get higher. I only see light wear on the spine where the bottom staple is, so that's really good considering the all-black cover. If the top of the book is in good shape, anything $100 or less is a steal.

The Black Panther books look nice. Kirby stuff always looks good on a shelf, but none of them are keys and they're not really rare. They'll heat up a little more when the movie comes around, but I don't know if I would invest in those.

Now, this might come as a shock, but the rarest book in there and the best investment is actually that Sad Sack #1 behind that Star Wars #1. I mean, it's from 1949 and looks intact, which is exceedingly rare of many golden age books. If you were to look at it, please ensure that they didn't shove that book into a Silver Age bag, as you'll have crazy warping.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Quiet week

All Star Batman #7
Deathstroke #12
Detective Comics #950
Justice League Of America Rebirth #1
Suicide Squad #11
Wonder Woman #16

James Bond Felix Leiter #2 (Of 6)
East of West #31

All New Wolverine #17
Inhumans vs X-Men #4
Unworthy Thor #4

Done with The Handmaiden. Great movie. Loved the 3 Act Rashomon style. Everyone over 18 should see it.

Up next on the movie schedule for the week: LEGO Batman hopefully on Friday with little sis and then La La Land with my mother on Saturday. John Wick Chapter 2 is sadly not going to be shown here. Straight to DVD and BD during the summer...

Top Bottom