• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

Nudull

Banned
One does wonder if this so-called "uniform quirkiness" has made it easier for some male writers to characterize women.

Inhumans vs. X-Men #2
Well damn. Inhumans be gettin' riggedy wrecked. The X-Men have been at this a lot longer than these youngbloods apparently. Plus the element of surprise and all that. I am really happy that they remembered Eldrac. That said, I'm a little bugged by Laura's writing, much like I was bugged by Batman in JLvSS. This is still a pretty solid event so far.

Inhumans vs. X-Men #3
Some cool shit. Karnak's pissed, Iso and Inferno did some cool shit (admit it: Inferno taking Logan down was badass). There is a constant stream of asswhoopings. My only thing:
I find it hard to believe that they couldn't just build the machine in secret and absorb the cloud without this war. Hell, if Forge can build a machine to return the cloud to a solid state, which would effectively be crystals, then why wouldn't the Inhumans agree to it? The basis for this war is sound, but the war itself is unnecessary by miles

All-New X-Men #17
I can't say much about this except "oh this seems like a good idea." Straight up calling him Romeo? Fuck you, you hacks. Jesus. This wasn't good. Assuming "forced" still holds the same definition it has for years, then I'm applying it to everything in this issue. Also "ADULT CYCLOPS IS MONSTER" is getting so old. We had Death of X, Hopeless. It's olay. You can back down. We realize you didn't get the memo, but it's okay. We'll forgive you, assuming...

All-New X-Men #18
...that this issue isn't totally trash BUT IT WAS! SURPRISE TRUE BELIEVERS!

"Yeah I know Cyclops. He's my favorite X-Man. The one that's a baby back bitch." -Dennis Hopeless, 2017.

This issue was such trash. "Since when is self-preservation our primary goal?" WHAT? FUCK YOU. DEAR GOD FUCK YOU. Glad I dropped this sorry-ass book, the tie-ins notwithstanding.

Uncanny X-Men #17
Oh wow. I feel really uncomfortable right now. I need a hug. Um...the action was pretty good, based Lashley. And I like Sabretooth's arc...

Someone hug me

The IvX tie-ins have been soooo bad. I've been going back and forth on dropping all of them.

One does wonder if this so-called "uniform quirkiness" has made it easier for some male writers to characterize women.

That's a good observation. I think there is some truth to it.

Anything here worth picking up?

FE483415-C85A-4348-81E2-7E168A886AB3.jpg

EB74CA89-8B0D-4B71-8322-20FD9AD05617.jpg

Trickster

Uhm, I have question.

I'm reading the New avengers series from 2011. And in the issue i just read, everyone on the team gets a paycheck, except for spiderman. With the reason being given that they can't give him a paycheck because he hasn't revealed his identity. But I thought he did that in civil war? I never read civil war, but I remember seeing the page where he's unmasked himself and tells the whole world that he's peter parker?

Sandfox

Uhm, I have question.

I'm reading the New avengers series from 2011. And in the issue i just read, everyone on the team gets a paycheck, except for spiderman. With the reason being given that they can't give him a paycheck because he hasn't revealed his identity. But I thought he did that in civil war? I never read civil war, but I remember seeing the page where he's unmasked himself and tells the whole world that he's peter parker?

Spider-Man had his secret identity restored via magic shortly after Civil War.

Nudull

Banned
It's definitely Batgirling. Even if it was done before, it only started to become a thing then.

I mean, I can understand; creating a Tumblr-friendly meme generator vs. trying to fully write from a place you have little to no experience in, at the risk of alienating/pissing off female fans. That's not to say that "Batgirling" is inherently wrong, nor that it can't be done right, but the way it's becoming more and more common among writers is pretty telling.

To be honest, it has always puzzled me a little about why there is so much discussion online about super hero costumes. Does it really affect your reading of a series that much? Will a bad costume drag a 9/10 comic down to an 8/10 in your view. Can a good costume elevate a series above mediocre writing? Sure, a drastic change can set the tone for how a creative team wants us to see their character but it just fades into the background for me after the first few pages.

Five more issues and I'm finally all caught up!

Extraordinary X-Men #18
Heartwarming issue, but thank god for Sorrentino. Man X-Men Blue is going to be one rough book. That said, Storm is the ultimate troll: "No we need Cerebra for a surgical strike" *pops back for a hug and a good bye when she could have let Forge use it* I did really like the insight into Forge's powers though. That was cool.

Deadpool & the Mercs for Money #7
Holy callbacks, Batman! Ren? From Fearless Defenders? Woooooooooooooow *looks at writer* Huh. Well how about that. I don't know what this is about, who Masacre is (Spanish Deadpool?), why Negasonic is alive again, or why everyone hates Wade, but this was enjoyable. Putting Karnak in his old gear again was fun. Whatever. On to the next!

Deadpool & the Mercs for Money #8
Ah so questions answered. These were a fun couple of issues. Callbacks and all that. Weird premise for these tie-ins, but I dug it. Something fresh.

The Uncanny Inhumans #17
This was a good issue and a nice end to that arc. I really liked this. We finally got to see Flagman's abilities and a bit more of Black Bolt from a different angle. I really enjoyed this, especially because we got a happy ending.

The Uncanny Inhumans #18
This is pretty game changing and renders the event even more pointless. Nice to deal with some villains, though. Not much else to say.

To be honest, it has always puzzled me a little about why there is so much discussion online about super hero costumes. Does it really affect your reading of a series that much? Will a bad costume drag a 9/10 comic down to an 8/10 in your view. Can a good costume elevate a series above mediocre writing? Sure, a drastic change can set the tone for how a creative team wants us to see their character but it just fades into the background for me after the first few pages.

I don't know man, I think caring about the visuals sorta makes sense in a visual medium.

I don't critique things from a fashion point of view, I leave that to people who actually know about fashion, but I do care if a character has something interesting or "cool" about their design. That means different things to different people of course. Personally I try to stick to the silhouette principle when it comes to design, even if that's more of an animation thing.

It depends. On the one hand, it is cosmetic, but on the other, how a character is physically presented can do a lot to say about the character and a lot of that character's traits and development are going to be associated with tha costume. A character's physical identity is important. Plus, it's also important regarding sexualization and stereotyping, among other things.

Costumes are important.

Barbara's current Batgirl costume represents someone quirky and more teenaged, and thus makes it difficult for me to take her seriously given that she's in her thirties (or used to be)

I was actually thinking about this while watching a bunch of Injustice 2 videos. Their Gear system is both the best and worst thing to happen to costumes/skins I've ever seen. In the beta alone I've seen some real monstrosities that not even 90s Kenner would have made into toys. Plus seeing all the crappy variants on the hero symbols is driving me nuts. The "S"es in particular are nearly all awful.

There's tons of potential there but it'll end up like Diablo and such where you just slap on all the bits with the biggest numbers and it looks a mess. Unless they sell transmogs of course, which they probably will.

Messi

I was actually thinking about this while watching a bunch of Injustice 2 videos. Their Gear system is both the best and worst thing to happen to costumes/skins I've ever seen. In the beta alone I've seen some real monstrosities that not even 90s Kenner would have made into toys. Plus seeing all the crappy variants on the hero symbols is driving me nuts. The "S"es in particular are nearly all awful.

There's tons of potential there but it'll end up like Diablo and such where you just slap on all the bits with the biggest numbers and it looks a mess. Unless they sell transmogs of course, which they probably will.

I hate it. I just want skins.

Vibranium

Banned

Sometimes I ignore bad costumes, other times it can get in the way. I always wanted Brubaker to redesign the entire Invaders team when he did WWII flashbacks during his Cap run, because they looked out of place with the military theme had going. Toro and Bucky needed better outfits for sure. I mean that run already retconned a lot of stuff, should have done it with costumes as well.

David Aja's amazing Hydra designs for Iron First definitely elevated the already fantastic writing, he made them look menacing and cool.

How about instead of giving me shoulder pads and gloves that can be the same colour as Harleys costume you just give me a Margot costume skin? Cheers.

There are some horrendous looking characters in that beta using the gear system.

Like I said, the whole thing reminds me of Total Justice back in the day:
TotalJustice-001.jpg

totaljustice-002.jpg

So many memories of picking those up over my childhood.

Getting the costume right is very important. I still get dIstracted by how much I dislike Peter's electric spider. 23 issues since that happened. 10 issues into Steve Rogers and I still let out an "ehhhh" when he's in full costume. And those aren't even that bad.

I think what ElNarez said a couple of pages ago about the practicality of America's costumes, the fact that at the end of the day they are just clothes, is true. It's definitely an important part of the character. It's probably true of most super heroes that certain elements of their outfits are essential. And I think creators and editors feel this as well, since radical departures tend to end up undone.

Messi

Getting the costume right is very important. I still get dIstracted by how much I dislike Peter's electric spider. 23 issues since that happened. 10 issues into Steve Rogers and I still let out an "ehhhh" when he's in full costume. And those aren't even that bad.

I think what ElNarez said a couple of pages ago about the practicality of America's costumes, the fact that at the end of the day they are just clothes, is true. It's definitely an important part of the character. It's probably true of most super heroes that certain elements of their outfits are essential. And I think creators and editors feel this as well, since radical departures tend to end up undone.

I loved how America's costume was just regular clothing.

I mean. You're going to be looking at the character in that outfit for probably 10+ pages, maybe every page, almost every issue. Almost all the cool shit they do is gonna be in that outfit. If you don't like it, it probably will lower your overall impression of the book.

I loved how America's costume was just regular clothing.

I think America Chavez's original look is one of the best and most iconic costumes of the 21st century.

TheFlow

Banned
I mean. You're going to be looking at the character in that outfit for probably 10+ pages, maybe every page, almost every issue. Almost all the cool shit they do is gonna be in that outfit. If you don't like it, it probably will lower your overall impression of the book.

I think America Chavez's original look is one of the best and most iconic costumes of the 21st century.
This is why people shouldn't drink and post

TheFlow

Banned
Hot take

Why does America wear spandex shorts. Why do women gotta wear less practical outfits period.

It distracts me every time.

Top Bottom