• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

What were the best comics you read this week gaf? Mine were...

Deadly Class 26
The Flintstones 8
Shade, the Changing Girl 5
God Country 1
Unfollow 15

mreddie

I don't believe the politics stuff. Because to those people having anything but a white dude is being political. Yeah hulk, thor, and whatever will go back to the status quo. But i don't see them shutting down Black Panther, Ms.America, Ms.Marvel, etc.

Comic fans can be worse then video games nerds with this shit

CBR and BC want status quo and end the POC heroes because MAH HEROES.

Sandfox

Stegman tweeted that tomorrow's issue of RYV is his best work yet so I'm hyped.

Man I'm dying to watch Legion. Sounds like they really knocked it out of the park.
I've never been a fan of the character so I'm contemplating watching. Though given that this is Fox it will be completely different.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't either until the Legacy series which was one cool and wild book

With the best covers.

x_men_legacy__6_by_deadlymike-d5l6yjq.jpg
latest

mreddie

Marvel deserves all the Ls if they start erasing folks. So many people that would never touch a comic, got into them thanks to those characters

I assume we're gonna calm down on the legacy heroes and stop seeing solos to people that really don't need a solo.

The prime Avenger books are gonna be the interesting ones.

LProtag

Tomorrow I've got my Ms. Marvel and The Vision trades coming in, and I'm slowly working through my housemate's Sandman collection.

I feel like I'm going to need to get something next, haha.

mreddie

Also been reading back of the Illuminati trade, man, I can't believe this guy is writing Flash, the slow ass Flash right now.

I assume we're gonna calm down on the legacy heroes and stop seeing solos to people that really don't need a solo.

The prime Avenger books are gonna be the interesting ones.

I've been thinking the past couple of days about what Marvel's catalog should look like a year from now

It's pretty tough. I think they probably need to cut about 30-35% of their 616 books while also bringing back some key characters. And the list just keeps getting longer

I'll never understand why people don't want more diversity in comics. Even looking at it from a shallower perspective, more types of people = wider variety of characters = a wider array of stories. Some of these stories would never have been told before today. Why do they want the same recycled storylines over and over again? I'm actually upset Odinson is getting a Mjolnir before Jane dies. Uru arm having, War Goat riding, Celestial-killing axe wielding, bearded Thor js the best.

caliph95

Guessing people still want to read the same.

I'm torn on one hand Marvel could use a rebirth on the other hand i don't to be at the expense at the legacy characters because they just started .

I'll never understand why people don't want more diversity in comics. Even looking at it from a shallower persoective, more types of people = wider variety of characters = a wider array of stories. Some of these stories would never have been told before today. Why do they want the same recycled storylines over and over again? I'm actually upset Odinson is getting a Mjolnir before Jane dies. Uru arm having, War Goat riding, Celestial-killing axe wielding, bearded Thor js the best.

I would be upset if Jane died period, which is the easy out in so many ways

Some people only ever want to read about the same characters, in the same setting with the same problems and supporting casts, and it has always been this way. It's frustrating though, I agree.

TheFlow

Banned
I don't care what marvel does because I am not a hardcore fan. Long as the writing and art are top notch then I will be on board. I am not settling for average comics this year or the next. Ready to trim the fat off my pulls and sale wait the rest.

best believe if these Luke cage and iron fist books aren't solid within the first 2 issues I am outy.

While new vision, oversight and direction is needed at Marvel, I actually think a Rebirth-like relaunch is one of the worst things they could do to their line

I would be upset if Jane died period, which is the easy out in so many ways

Some people only ever want to read about the same characters, in the same setting with the same problems and supporting casts, and it has always been this way. It's frustrating though, I agree.
Jane has to die. I truly believe that, because I feel like otherwise her storyline loses weight. Everytime she uses Mjolnir, it undoes her chemo progress. She's dying quicker, but she knew the price because she believed the world needed Thor until Odinson could step back up. Getting out of it would negate two things: one is the perceived sacrifice she's making, and the other is that magic itself has a price. The latter being something that has permeated comics (and most other fiction) for a long time.

It's not an easy out when it's actually a full arc and is a powerful sacrifice

TheFlow

Banned
While new vision, oversight and direction is needed at Marvel, I actually think a Rebirth-like relaunch is one of the worst things they could do to their line

rebirth or new 52 style relaunch would never happen because fanboys would rage for years, but a change is coming.

Sandfox

Marvel deserves all the Ls if they start erasing folks. So many people that would never touch a comic, got into them thanks to those characters

I don't see characters getting "erased" so much as the classic heroes getting classic style stories that give them a lot more focus than they are now.

I've been thinking the past couple of days about what Marvel's catalog should look like a year from now

It's pretty tough. I think they probably need to cut about 30-35% of their 616 books while also bringing back some key characters. And the list just keeps getting longer
That would really depend on how they release the books. If they made that kind of reduction there would certainly be stuff missing though.

I'll never understand why people don't want more diversity in comics. Even looking at it from a shallower perspective, more types of people = wider variety of characters = a wider array of stories. Some of these stories would never have been told before today. Why do they want the same recycled storylines over and over again? I'm actually upset Odinson is getting a Mjolnir before Jane dies. Uru arm having, War Goat riding, Celestial-killing axe wielding, bearded Thor js the best.
It really depends on the person because some people solely hate Jane because she is a woman, while others had their favorite characters taken out of the spotlight and are upset over that.

I think there are things Marvel could learn from Rebirth, but I wouldn't want them to copy that.

mreddie

Because Marvel had DC by the balls for almost 6 years and then, Rebirth and now DC is kicking Marvel in the teeth.

Marvel considering a Rebirth would make no sense but event fatigue still hasn't settled in and the base of the comic guys blame the legacy heroes on why Marvel is failing.

Basically, Marvel has 2 audiences trying to please and one hate the other while the other gives no fucks til they start getting depushed.

TheFlow

Banned
Because Marvel had DC by the balls for almost 6 years and then, Rebirth and now DC is kicking Marvel in the teeth.

Marvel considering a Rebirth would make no sense but event fatigue still hasn't settled in and the base of the comic guys blame the legacy heroes on why Marvel is failing.

Basically, Marvel has 2 audiences trying to please and one hate the other while the other gives no fucks til they start getting depushed.

amen.

Marvel has put into people's minds over years that there is only one true Cap, one true Hulk, one true Thor and ect..

so when someone else takes the mantle their is backlash.

Meanwhile at DC it is natural for there to be more than one.

Jane has to die. I truly believe that, because I feel like otherwise her storyline loses weight. Everytime she uses Mjolnir, it undoes her chemo progress. She's dying quicker, but she knew the price because she believed the world needed Thor until Odinson could step back up. Getting out of it would negate two things: one is the perceived sacrifice she's making, and the other is that magic itself has a price. The latter being something that has permeated comics (and most other fiction) for a long time.

It's not an easy out when it's actually a full arc and is a powerful sacrifice

That is not the entire arc though if you are thinking about the hero's journey in a classical sense

The hero's willingness to give her life is what makes her worthy of resurrection. This is a hero's journey, certainly...dying heroically and being reborn are key components of these stories.

Agreed on all points

mreddie

John Wick screener time.

I'll say this, we need no mas Solos, Invaders, Mobius and pointless books but that might stop the next Kamala, Robbie, Gwenpool, Silk.

Have a balance basically.

Top Bottom