• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

Owzers

I stuck around until issue 34 before I finally gave up. Loved the art, but the story was a disaster.
For awhile at a time I forget I'd ever read Morning Glories, but then someone brings up Spencer at just the right time and it starts coming back to me. It's those days that are the hardest...

Boogiepop

I can understand some changes being disliked (never hated). I haven't seen a single soul praise AzBats even in retrospect. It just that it feels like every. Single. One. And it doesn't help that they are all changes to increase diversity.

Not AzBats in particular, but Azreal's profile overall grew far larger for being Batman than it was otherwise. Jean Paul Valley isn't really all that great a character, but people could not let him go.

Interesting. I read some of the issues of his run (back when all the comics I got my hands on were random pick ups from antique shops and magazine aisles) and it seemed like an interesting idea: brutal killer has to learn to take it back a notch (SpOck). But god that costume is awful. It's also fun to read Chuck Dixon trash him (I'm reading Dixon's Robin run as it's being traded)

Oh god why?

Wait, wasn't AzBats intentionally made to be awful edgey 90s, specifically for the purpose of him needing to be taken down for Bruce's return? Like, I haven't looked into this deeply and it has been a while since I read it, but that's what I recall getting out of it back when I read through the whole Knightfall arc. As in, it didn't seem like something that was ever meant as a long term change, but more a story that inevitably lead to his downfall.

Vyer

Wait, wasn't AzBats intentionally made to be awful edgey 90s, specifically for the purpose of him needing to be taken down for Bruce's return? Like, I haven't looked into this deeply and it has been a while since I read it, but that's what I recall getting out of it back when I read through the whole Knightfall arc. As in, it didn't seem like something that was ever meant as a long term change, but more a story that inevitably lead to his downfall.

That's exactly what he was, sort of an 'answer' to the push that was happening at the time. I remember there was a lot of looking at Wolverine and then coming back at Batman comics with 'why doesn't he kill?' type questions. AzBats was always kind of an answer to that, and I think he was pretty much built to be disliked from the get go.

Owzers

I was going to say the band perry is the Olivia Wilde of music but I completely blanked on Wilde's name and could only think of Olivia Munn. I then tried to think of a show she was in but couldn't think of any, the doctor one but couldn't remember House, I had to Netflix search sci-fi thrillers and scrolled until I came across Lazarus effect because I forgot its name too.

It was like Olivia Wilde was completely erased from my memory.

These are all true words.

And yet, mofos loved themselves some Jean Paul Valley Azrael post-Knightfall far more than they did pre-Knightfall. Realize, AzBats had 100+ issues.

People only get upset with Batman's no-kill rule because of the Joker. I never see anyone go "FUCK MAN. WHY DOESN'T HE JUST KILL KILLER CROC ALREADY? VENTRILOQUIST IS THE REAL THREAT!" It's always Joker, and the better question is how the fuck GCPD hasn't "accidentally" discharged their weapons into the back of his head. Instead he just gets smarter and smarter. Boy's got prep-time that makes Doom jealous in some shit (looking at you Death of the Family).

In short: fuck the Joker.

caliph95

People only get upset with Batman's no-kill rule because of the Joker. I never see anyone go "FUCK MAN. WHY DOESN'T HE JUST KILL KILLER CROC ALREADY? VENTRILOQUIST IS THE REAL THREAT!" It's always Joker, and the better question is how the fuck GCPD hasn't "accidentally" discharged their weapons into the back of his head. Instead he just gets smarter and smarter. Boy's got prep-time that makes Doom jealous in some shit (looking at you Death of the Family).

In short: fuck the Joker.

I'm surprised there aren't more people trying to kill Joker i mean guys like Two-face and Penguins are basically gimmicky mob bosses while Joker kill count would make hitler jealous.

I do remember a comic where a rich man or was it mayor can't remember put a bounty on Joker's head because he killed his son and the whole city immediately start to hunt down Joker while batman trying to protect him because of course. I think it's because he wants to do it the right way(legal way) but basically guilts out of it by making a point about revenge.

I'm surprised there aren't more people trying to kill Joker i mean guys like Two-face and Penguins are basically gimmicky mob bosses while Joker kill count would make hitler jealous.

I do remember a comic where a rich man or was it mayor can't remember put a bounty on Joker's head because he killed his son and the whole city immediately start to hunt down Joker while batman trying to protect him because of course. I think it's because he wants to do it the right way(legal way) but basically guilts out of it by making a point about revenge.
I'm just really tired of the Joker. Just, supremely tired.

It's a problem that is virtually unique to the Batman/Joker relationship due to a number of factors, but probably most exacerbated by too many Batman stories dwelling on the question too much, often lazily and thoughtlessly.

Like...did Hush really need a chapter dedicated to "Why doesn't Batman kill the Joker?" That is (and was) some tired shit

Joker is practically a toothless character now because when he kills anyone who matters it sets off this "Why doesn't Batman kill Joker" alarm

Sandfox

Renew Your Vows #4 was a good end to the first arc and now we get some one off issues before the next big arc starts. This book makes me want to see Conway try his hands at ASM again.

Can like, the next X-Men event involve bringing Age of Apocalypse Blink over to Earth 616 as a mainstay?

I would like that.

I would like that very much.

I have no idea what she's doing now after Exiles but I miss her. And earth 616 Blink lowkey blows.

Zombine

Banned
Batman is one of those people that you know you can't have a debate with because he'll instantly play the victim card when you call him out on his bullshit.

The best part about the telltale game was when he
got locked up in Arkham because that's right where he belongs.

Messi

I was going to say the band perry is the Olivia Wilde of music but I completely blanked on Wilde's name and could only think of Olivia Munn. I then tried to think of a show she was in but couldn't think of any, the doctor one but couldn't remember House, I had to Netflix search sci-fi thrillers and scrolled until I came across Lazarus effect because I forgot its name too.

It was like Olivia Wilde was completely erased from my memory.

Accept my rumblr request

Mindwipe

Can like, the next X-Men event involve bringing Age of Apocalypse Blink over to Earth 616 as a mainstay?

I would like that.

I would like that very much.

I have no idea what she's doing now after Exiles but I miss her. And earth 616 Blink lowkey blows.

I thought that AoA Blink was 616 Blink? I've never read Exiles, was that undone?

I thought that AoA Blink was 616 Blink? I've never read Exiles, was that undone?

AoA Blink is Earth-295 Blink, which is different to Earth-616 Blink as far as I know. From what I've garnered on the wikis we haven't seen the former since the cancellation of Exiles volume 2 and I have no idea what the latter is up to.

Mindwipe

AoA Blink is Earth-295 Blink, which is different to Earth-616 Blink as far as I know. From what I've garnered on the wikis we haven't seen the former since the cancellation of Exiles volume 2 and I have no idea what the latter is up to.

Yeah, I was thinking because of her miniseries during AOA was set in the 616 Negative it was more ambiguous about which universe she was actually from, but it looks like Marvel played it fairly straight in Exiles so it isn't. So yeah, I guess she still exists somewhere.

Man, that's like the second screwup I've made on AOA in like a week, I should definitely shut up unless I re-read it.

ElNarez

Banned
oh god all the Superman books are converging, shit is gonna hit the fan in a huge way, if you're not reading Superwoman, Supergirl and Action you are MISSING OUT

Messi

oh god all the Superman books are converging, shit is gonna hit the fan in a huge way, if you're not reading Superwoman, Supergirl and Action you are MISSING OUT

This is what I was worried about. Why do all these books need cross over?

Supergirl I've been kind of meh on, but am just behind on but there is no damn way I'm going back to Superwoman. That shit was a convoluted overly dense mess.

Mindwipe

CMX are getting worse with pushing Unlimited on their international homepages when you can't actually use it in those locations this week.

It's ludicrous. If I were a publisher I'd be fairly upset they were wasting valuable promo space on it. There are two boxes above the fold on the current homepage.

This is what I was worried about. Why do all these books need cross over?

I think a "character line" should be totally connected and doesn't really qualify as a "crossover".

The "Superman Family of Books" should all feel connected and essential, otherwise why bother making all of them?

Messi

I think a "character line" should be totally connected and doesn't really qualify as a "crossover".

The "Superman Family of Books" should all feel connected and essential, otherwise why bother making all of them?

Some would say they shouldn't be making all of them

Tizoc

That's the wrong vol 4. Thats a regular hardcover not the oversized one.

Nah According to the numbering in Wikipedia, those 2 books complete the entire initial run of Waid.
The Vol. 4 there takes place after the Punisher crossover, whereas the Hardcover collects the remaining issues I'd be missing.

I noticed now that I am missing these 2 Swamp Thing books as well.
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/SAGA-OF-THE-SWAMP-THING-TP-BOOK-05-(MR)/SEP130310
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/SAGA-OF-THE-SWAMP-THING-TP-BOOK-04-(MR)/APR130262

Messi

Nah According to the numbering in Wikipedia, those 2 books complete the entire initial run of Waid.
The Vol. 4 there takes place after the Punisher crossover, whereas the Hardcover collects the remaining issues I'd be missing.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/SAGA-OF-THE-SWAMP-THING-TP-BOOK-05-(MR)/SEP130310
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/SAGA-OF-THE-SWAMP-THING-TP-BOOK-04-(MR)/APR130262

Are you collecting the OHCs or regular hardcovers. One of those books is an OHC one is a regular hardcover.

The series was released in 7 regular hardcovers first then 5 OHCs including the second series.

Those links have one of each.

Current DC summer event teases/info/rumors: Might have to do with some kind of metal(Nth?), Batman has a big part in it, Snyder & Capullo, war is coming and Dark Days are ahead.

Between JLA Rebirth and Detective this week, I think we can safely say that while Rebirth started off strong, it has evolved into something even more compelling and immaculately constructed. Books that started off wobbly have hit their stride, new additions are essential, not afterthoughts, and each small "universe" is cohering together in a sensible and exciting way.

Things don't usually get better in comics, you just end up pining for when things used to be good. This is really uncharted territory.

Tizoc

Are you collecting the OHCs or regular hardcovers. One of those books is an OHC one is a regular hardcover.

The series was released in 7 regular hardcovers first then 5 OHCs including the second series.

Those links have one of each.

This and that. Just grabbing particular Softcovers and Hardcovers to complete the series.

Anyone get that Tank Girl bundle?

I'm wondering if the quality is good and consistent. Pretty sure I've gotten low quality files from these bundles before.

Bit the bullet when I picked up Gaiman's Norse Mythology book and grabbed Rebirth Deluxe and The Wolverine Director's Cut on BD to watch before Logan comes out.

Messi

This was a sadly low bar. I am really looking forward to picking this up.

Hmmm

That shade when Detective comics is an amazing team book right now.

Hmmm

That shade when Detective comics is an amazing team book right now.

Neh, I've loved Detective and really loved RH and the Outlaws. I was thinking more along the lines of Justice League and Trinity kind of going down hill. I was looking at Trinity as the defacto JL book because the main book sucked, so now it will be JLA.

VanWinkle

Why not just get the Vol. 4 and 5 oversized hardcovers and complete the entire Waid run?

error4041

Inhumans vs X-Men continues to be great, Colossus will get fucking rekt next issue. Mosaic taking over
Magneto
was great, I hope he sticks around on a team after his solo ends.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Is Unbeatable Squirrel Girl the greatest? Obviously. Does the last page of today's book make it even greater than it was before? Definitely.

Top Bottom