• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I can't say I'd miss Lemire too much at Marvel tbh, I read Old Man Logan, but it's not like another writer couldn't do what Lemire has done with the character.

It might be some masterful troll. Even the hosts have no clue what he's talking about. But the email sounds as if it was announced already or something.
Might happen. He's off both Logan and Moon Knight already. Only Thanos left and that feels like a "we want 2 trades in shops for when Infinity War hype starts" kinda book. He's also not a signed on exclusive IIRC.

I can't say I'd miss Lemire too much at Marvel tbh, I read Old Man Logan, but it's not like another writer couldn't do what Lemire has done with the character.

I'd be interested in what he would do at DC, but feel like it would be a huge hit to Marvel if they lost him. What does he do like 4 books with them? Logan, Moon Knight, Thanos, any else?

Might happen. He's off both Logan and Moon Knight already. Only Thanos left and that feels like a "we want 2 trades in shops for when Infinity War hype starts" kinda book. He's also not a signed on exclusive IIRC.

Damn, now I'm really wondering what he would do.

Messi

True, but he'll be temporary. Someone's going to want to use him as a villain.

I thought the Victim Syndicate was great all the way through, so I apparently don't have the same tastes that everyone who dropped it has.

I'm saying Spidey's back tho

Glad I dropped all of Marvel then. Parker pushers

GAMEPROFF

Banned

A panel from a Alien (->
latest
) Comic. Or am I misremembering and it was someone else?
It showed a woman from the backside with a flamethrower facing a Xenomorph Queen in a hive. It was beautiful and I need to read that book.

Sandfox

I don't get why he would go so hard for Marvel unless he's planning on never working for DC ever again. And if I was Marvel I'd tell him to shut his ass up, you never know they might be planning to drop the prices of some of their books.
Dude said nothing about about Marvel. Also, I doubt Marvel will drop their prices since results seem to be kinda eh for DC atm, though a reduction in digital prices would be interesting.
I almost want to unblock him and list his own sales at him.

One issue of Superman is doing better than both of his books together.

For LaunchPad.
That really doesn't hurt his argument.

Messi

A panel from a Alien (-> ) Comic. Or am I misremembering and it was someone else?
It showed a woman from the backside with a flamethrower facing a Xenomorph Queen in a hive. It was beautiful and I need to read that book.

It totally wasn't me. Probably freeza. She loves the alien books.

TheFlow

Banned
Dude said nothing about about Marvel. Also, I doubt Marvel will drop their prices since results seem to be kinda eh for DC atm, though a reduction in digital prices would be interesting.

That really doesn't hurt his argument.

they should. DC dominates the best sellers list on the regular.

WTF is this emailer talking about on comic comspiracty?! Lemire leaving Marvel for DC and has a book coming in the summer?!
Finally time for a new Katana solo
Not wrong, but Lemire and Sorrentino is a match made in heaven. Like Morrison and Quietly, or Bendis and Maleev.
I'd be interested in what he would do at DC, but feel like it would be a huge hit to Marvel if they lost him. What does he do like 4 books with them? Logan, Moon Knight, Thanos, any else?
Extraordinary X-Men and IvX, but that's all finishing up.

TheFlow

Banned
Finally time for a new Katana solo

Not wrong, but Lemire and Sorrentino is a match made in heaven. Like Morrison and Quietly, or Bendis and Maleev.

Extraordinary X-Men and IvX, but that's all finishing up.

wait. I can see lemire leaving but a new book already in june1? woah

Lemire plastic man.

Sandfox

they should. DC dominates the best sellers list on the regular.
The amount of money they make is more important from a business standpoint, which is why you see DC starting to raise prices so soon. DC's dominance also seems to be waning a bit if you want to go by Diamond's numbers, which obviously don't give us the complete picture.

Personally I want some $2 books.

TheFlow

Banned
The amount of money they make is more important from a business standpoint, which is why you see DC starting to raise prices so soon. DC's dominance also seems to be waning a bit if you want to go by Diamond's numbers, which obviously don't give us the complete picture.

Personally I want some $2 books.

Dc only raised the price of physical monthlies with a digital issue included. Not bad for 10-11 months after a relaunch.

They have managed to turn a bummer into a Pr win.

Diamond doesn't count digital issues though. so I don't take them srs.

The hell. Why?

Boom played with fire and got burned:

Unfortunately, the comic book was cancelled in 2011 after 18 issues due to Disney obtaining ownership of Marvel Comics and revoking Boom's license to make comics based on Disney properties. Boom! managed to weasel the publication of a few more issues to conclude the story arc they were publishing at the time, Dangerous Currency, even after they had lost the license. Bad Idea: not only has Disney sued Boom! for this, Dangerous Currency has never been reprinted anywhere in the whole world ever since, and Disney constantly hammers that it's now "non-canon".

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Comicbook/DarkwingDuck

The entire run was reprinted by Disney's own publishing house, with that arc struck out.

Sandfox

Dc only raised the price of physical monthlies with a digital issue included. Not bad for 10-11 months after a relaunch.

They have managed to turn a bummer into a Pr win.

Diamond doesn't count digital issues though. so I don't take them srs.
The code thing was a smart move on DC's part, but I think it's more likely that some people reading those books physically either start buying the cheaper digital version or just stop reading the book.

I see Rebirth as a series of low-key smart moves by DC that some people don't even notice.

Also, it wasn't 10-11 months, but that's me nitpicking.

TheFlow

Banned
The code thing was a smart move on DC's part, but I think it's more likely that some people reading those books physically either start buying the cheaper digital version or just stop reading the book.

I see Rebirth as a series of low-key smart moves by DC that some people don't even notice.

it goes into effect April.

Justice League of America: Rebirth #1
Wherein we learn Lobo is less of a douchebag than Batman.

Pretty great issue. Not much more to be said. They hit all the key points a team book should hit in the first issue.

TheFlow

Banned
all good fam.

Anyway guys I am waiting towards the end of Feb before I buy comics this month but has anybody read these titles and could give me some thoughts on them:

Death be damn.

Deadman #3

East of West newest issue

The few #1

The killer frost one shot

paper girls #11

That might be all according to plans. They finally found a way to give digital comics a better incentive than physical ones without retailers getting pissed. Now they can make more money off each book and as retailers' influence dies off DC can then raise the prices back up. Of course, this is all speculative. *twirls mustache*

Newest issue of East of West was hot hot hot, Flow. Paper Girls 11, really good.

Killer Frost was so-so

I have Death be Damned and The Few but haven't gotten to them yet

Sandfox

Nick Spencer just tweeted that he "trolls DC because they treated him and others horribly for years" for those that care and wanted a reason.

TheFlow

Banned
Newest issue of East of West was hot hot hot, Flow. Paper Girls 11, really good.

Killer Frost was so-so

I have Death be Damned and The Few but haven't gotten to them yet
Oooo can't wait. Does the frost one shot give us a 101 on who she is? I don't know much about her.

I want to get into "the few" but the art looks really rough.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #7
Well this was a fun issue. Some team building, a fun mystery that simultaneously wraps up a previous plot thread. The art was nice, but I couldn't help feeling like there was some sort of dissonance between the dialogue and art. I couldn't place my finger on it, though. Particularly with Helena. Otherwise it was pretty solid.

Supergirl #6
What a superhero book. This was just the most superhero issue I've read in a minute. It was pretty awesome. Also, Orlando must be an anime fan with that
Project DNAngel
. And that future arc set-up.

Dope book that will never be less than that.

Detective Comics #950
1) The Cassandra story was pretty beautiful, to the point of being painful. I actually felt the emotional distress within, and it was actually beautiful.

2) I'm not too familiar with Azrael, so this was good insight. It's also good to see a religious hero written well, and not completely foolish. In a genre where all the characters tend to be atheists, agnostics, or just completely absent from the stories as a whole. Pretty awesome, and also super intenss.

3) YOOOOOOOOOOOO IT'S GOIN DOOOOOOOWN
Is Nightwing a wordy book?
About what you'd expect

Top Bottom