• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

I once met a woman who named her son Aragorn

I always thought that one was especially cruel. There isn't even a good abbreviation to work with there

Lots of weird people use Game of Thrones characters these days, which, I mean...what. I wonder, have they watched it

Titans #8
If this isn't the biggest case of "Ya dun fucked up" you've ever seen, then I don't know what is. Also, I miss the previous artist. Only one issue? Ya damn tease. Also reminds me that I should really read Titans Hunt. Seems to be playing an increasingly integral role. And Garth still sucks.

All-New Wolverine #17
This was a pretty poignant issue, I must say. Pretty intense on an emotional level. I'm not a fan of Morissette's art, though. I feel like it lacks nuance. Also, Jean apparently aged a full fifteen years. Girl likes like she's almost thirty. Pretty great otherwise though.

Inhumans vs. X-Men #4
This event stays solid. Inhumans making smart counterattacks, and the revelation at the end goes to show the lack of information being a big issue. I still have a problem with the fact that this has happened (given that the Terrigen Eater could have solved the issue for both sides), but I understand why. Also Colossus showing that he's my boy for a reason. I also find it funny that one of
Magneto's important memories is ripping the adamantium out of Wolverine

And oh my god I can't stand the art anymore. The fuck? It's like it has no idea what it wants to be. Irritating on a cosmic scale.

Power Man and Iron Fist #13
GONE GONE THE FORM OF MAN
RISE THE DEMON ETRIGAN

This arc is dark and not getting any brighter. Is it just me or does something feel...off about Greene's art? Am I crazy? Seems different and I can't figure out why. Almost rushed? Anyways more Señor Magico is always a good thing.

TheFlow

Banned
Power man and iron first got so much darker and a lot of the humor kinda left post #6. I still love the book but Seeing the series end after this arc is sad. 2 more issues left. :/

Power man and iron first got so much darker and a lot of the humor kinda left post #6. I still love the book but Seeing the series end after this arc is sad. 2 more issues left. :/
I felt the Ryker's arc was serious, but it didn't feel dark (if that makes sense). This feels like it's gone to a pretty brutal place. Must be that leftover anger from Nighthawk.

If my parents named me Aragorn I would go by Strider

Yeah, I am still enjoying it but it's a bummer to see the book go out like this

TheFlow

Banned
I felt the Ryker's arc was serious, but it didn't feel dark (if that makes sense). This feels like it's gone to a pretty brutal place. Must be that leftover anger from Nighthawk.
Yea don't get me wrong there were series moments in the first arc but it felt balanced. There were small humorous moments.

I haven't read this week issue but the previous one was savage. Tombstone is a legit threat

Yeah, I am still enjoying it but it's a bummer to see the book go out like this
I feel the same. Upsetting that this book has to go out at all.
Yea don't get me wrong there were series moments in the first arc but it felt balanced. There were small humorous moments.

I haven't read this week issue but the previous one was savage. Tombstone is a legit threat
This week isn't as brutal, but it's still dark. Dealing with after math and doing some setting up.

Hey Roger, wanna see a dead alien...?

justicewhereisthejustt6qvk.jpg

She is the star

She is, but Hellboy is really the star of his book. She's a major character in BPRD though and gets a lot of focus there.

Pmsl. Both correct, both thinking about the other title first I think. Liz & Abe and a few others make up the support cast in a number of the stories up until volume 5 of HB, but he is really the main event. After that, when BPRD spins out of it, Liz never appears in HB again, and vice versa, HB never appears in BPRD (although both titles do orbit and provide extra pieces of the puzzle to each other's lore over the years). Liz, Abe & Johann (ghost man) are very much front and centre in the BPRD book though, with Liz gets a ton of screen time. Kate Corrigan, Panya, there are some fantastic female characters in the BPRD over the years though and I think Arcudi said around the time the last issue of HoE shipping that some of his proudest moments as a writer was writing the female characters just being girls together lol.

tim1138

Pmsl. Both correct, both thinking about the other title first I think. Liz & Abe and a few others make up the support cast in a number of the stories up until volume 5 of HB, but he is really the main event. After that, when BPRD spins out of it, Liz never appears in HB again, and vice versa, HB never appears in BPRD (although both titles do orbit and provide extra pieces of the puzzle to each other's lore over the years). Liz, Abe & Johann (ghost man) are very much front and centre in the BPRD book though, with Liz gets a ton of screen time. Kate Corrigan, Panya, there are some fantastic female characters in the BPRD over the years though and I think Arcudi said around the time the last issue of HoE shipping that some of his proudest moments as a writer was writing the female characters just being girls together lol.

And let us never forget that Johann is a giant bag of dicks.

Messi

I wanted so many of those. I'm now debating selling a bunch of stuff and contacting a retailer like Big Bang to get at least the Annihilation one before the price skyrockets.

Good luck getting big bang to discount anything off cover. A $125 omnibus there is €125

Damn pretty much everything I read last night was great

Hal and GLC

Finally the Green Lantern Corps I've been wanting. We didn't get an absolute ton from this issue, but it was just awesome seeing some regular GLC stuff going on. It took way too many issues to get to this but glad it's finally happening.

New Super-Man

This book is under the radar probably one of DC's best books right now. I really hope the price hike doesn't screw over something like this or Red Hood.

Detective Comics

I was so damn glad to finally be getting more of Orphan. Up to this point she has really felt like a forgotten piece or just a body in the book. It was really nice to get some insight into why she would seem that way and to what is going on with her. I also really liked how the hints for what's to come is handled in the end a lot better than the previous issue of GLC.

Deathstroke

Priest really likes to fuck with the timeline of his story doesn't he? I dunno if I've just gotten used to it, or if I'm actually starting to understand it but overall everything is clicking a lot easier for me. Really liked this issue but I feel like saying this is the beginning of an arc is completely misleading, this book feels like one continuous mind fuck of a story and saying there are endings or arcs seems like an absolute lie.

Earth 2 Society

Each day we don't get some kind of Earth 2 Rebirth announcement I get more and more worried this book is just going to end with nothing coming next. This issue almost completely solidified those thoughts. It's a bummer that the book is getting to a point I've wanted for a while but just when it is it seems to be ending.

Titans

Really liked this issue and glad this book is turning around on me. This issue gave us something that really we haven't gotten at all from Rebirth, some day-in-the-life stuff. I'm really glad we got that and I hope they continue stuff like that to build these relationships.

Nick Spencer, who crafted Steve Rogers' "Superior Soldier"-style turn last year, will write Secret Empire, with a rotating team of artists to include Steve McNiven, Andrea Sorrentino, Leinil Yu, and Daniel Acuna.

Those art styles don't seem to jell at all.

Ross61

I'm really late reading the DC Rebirth Holiday special, but Damian getting Jon the game system he wanted put the biggest smile on my face.

kmfdmpig

Jessica Jones and Infamous Iron Man are books that are top tier Bendis.

So yes, pick that shit up. And if you like that, you should go back and read Alias. It's THE Jessica Jones book, by the same creative team (assuming you haven't read it).

I was looking forward to Jessica Jones, but worried it would not hold a candle to Alias. It is much better than I anticipated and right up there with Alias (one of my all time favorites) in quality.

“Where not one, not two, but three separate events break out all at once. Cap, as head of S.H.I.E.L.D., is able to mobilize forces to all three of those situations. And those three situations represent Hydra’s first move. It comes off the blocks explosively right from the get-go,”

They're really timing this perfectly. That's probably about the time a domestic attack will allow Trump to consolidate power.

What a bunch of fucking monsters.

They're really timing this perfectly. That's probably about the time a domestic attack will allow Trump to consolidate power.

What a bunch of fucking monsters.
Alonso's "-lists all the lines from Deadpool to gotg- this a rallying cry!"

God, I hope he gets replaced in the 2018 relaunch or this year's one.

hell yeah

question: what do you make of the rumors he's
Superboy Prime
? it would fit, but also it'd be fucking crazy weird
Well, I dropped AC, but
that's been the theory since day one. Of course, that was just someone going, "wouldn't it be sick if....?" No more, no less. However I've been reading what people are saying, and it seems most likely. Plus, Superman did just have an arc dealing with multiversal Supermen, with Prophecy (was that his name? I forget. He wasn't memorable) collecting them all to fight some massive threat (which I presume to be Manhattan, given that he was apparently working for Oz).
Titans

Really liked this issue and glad this book is turning around on me. This issue gave us something that really we haven't gotten at all from Rebirth, some day-in-the-life stuff. I'm really glad we got that and I hope they continue stuff like that to build these relationships.
The big problem with the first arc is that it was all about Wally and his return, as opposed to now actually being about the Titans as a team. It's really bringing the book into its intended direction, and two issues into that direction and it seems to be working pretty well so far.
I was looking forward to Jessica Jones, but worried it would not hold a candle to Alias. It is much better than I anticipated and right up there with Alias (one of my all time favorites) in quality.
It really is. It's more plot driven than Alias, and that's not a bad thing, but I do wish the Big Two would put out more mature, character driven books. Hulk is close, but there's still that dumb thread running in the background.

Well, I dropped AC, but
that's been the theory since day one. Of course, that was just someone going, "wouldn't it be sick if....?" No more, no less. However I've been reading what people are saying, and it seems most likely. Plus, Superman did just have an arc dealing with multiversal Supermen, with Prophecy (was that his name? I forget. He wasn't memorable) collecting them all to fight some massive threat (which I presume to be Manhattan, given that he was apparently working for Oz).
The fact this is a upcoming cover for the Superman Reborn crossover probably helps the theory:

One of those missing image expo books is randomly coming out this week.
That guy looks like a Yu-gi-oh hero.

All-Star Batman

I can't help but feel like this is Snyder wanting to put his touch on every Bat Villain but not actually wanting to go to the trouble of writing the stories. Just two of these issues in and they're not really even stories, they're Batman coming out of nowhere while the villain is mid-way through what they're doing. I didn't even get all the way through this issue because I couldn't bring myself to care enough to keep reading. I just didn't care. Yeah, I'm out on AS Batman. I was enjoying the back stories with Duke, but the one in this issue was pretty lame too. Duke in the Clay room and questioning Batman's method... nothing else.

All-Star Batman

I can't help but feel like this is Snyder wanting to put his touch on every Bat Villain but not actually wanting to go to the trouble of writing the stories. Just two of these issues in and they're not really even stories, they're Batman coming out of nowhere while the villain is mid-way through what they're doing. I didn't even get all the way through this issue because I couldn't bring myself to care enough to keep reading. I just didn't care. Yeah, I'm out on AS Batman. I was enjoying the back stories with Duke, but the one in this issue was pretty lame too. Duke in the Clay room and questioning Batman's method... nothing else.

What is Duke supposed to be anyway? I remember Bats saying he wanted something better than a Robin but just getting another sidekick and not calling him Robin is not much different.

What is Duke supposed to be anyway? I remember Bats saying he wanted something better than a Robin but just getting another sidekick and not calling him Robin is not much different.

Yeah, I'm not really sure. This back story arc is supposed to be leading to him finally getting his name and role, but it's kind of been dragged out to a dumb amount.

Top Bottom