• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

Love this cover for The Visitor, popped up on my facebook feed:

Visitor-ComicsPro-01.jpg

Really striking.

What's this about Lemire heading back to DC? Just speculation or is it happening? Problem is outside of one or two major successes, a lot of his stuff at DC was a misfire. Fantastic writer but doesn't fit all that well unless given the *right* project. I would accept a fair part of the problem was a lack of decision from him/DC of what to work on after Animal man though. JLD & Constantine were so short lived after making big deals about leaving other books to do them. JLU too I guess, although I didn't read that one.

Tace

Thanks guys! I just got back from PTAs and I'm ready to dive into some comics. Renew your vows I was def going to get but I'll pick up the others too. I actually have the recent #1 of Jessica Jones. Is it worth it to get #2-4 along with #5?

Boogiepop

Okay, so I'm not going to get any use out of my Image Comixology 60% off code thing right now, so I may as well throw it out to you guys. (Was going to get the latest two issues of Deadly Class and then check what other odds and ends I needed, but then I saw that it's only for stuff released before 2017, which makes sense. In theory I could cobble together an order and maybe grab a handful of things, but the code runs out fairly soon and it's not like I can't just hold off for the next Image sale).

So yeah, first come, first serve I guess. Tried to use that email tag thing that's supposed to hide it from non-members, but haven't done that ever before, so my bad if I screwed anything up on that.

LProtag

Picked up Black Monday Murders vol. 1. I'm about halfway through.

It's interesting, but I need to see where it's going. Very very very noir.

I struggled hard with the very first volume of Hellboy years ago and bailed.

Even as a big fan for its place in the grander scheme of things and as a story, I'd be the first to admit the first book is pretty different in terms of writing style since Byrne scripts and you can tell even Mig hasn't gotten fully comfortable yet (although there is some really striking stuff towards the end). It's not the best and the Nazi stuff is a fun part of Hellboy but not the core thing in my mind.

It's never easy to recommend stuff while also saying at the same time you might need to slog through a little first but after vol 1 and vol 2 where Mig actually does the whole thing himself for the first time writing wise Imo it reaaaally gets going at volume 3. The chained coffin and the iron shoes always felt to me where HB started to tap into the folklorish feel that ends up defining the book. HB visiting Ireland, rambling around and finding trouble in unlikely places, and the mighty Dave Stewart completing the puzzle.

Totally agree that you might dig the Bprd though, Arcudi is stellar with the characters.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I was going to post a shitty comment about delays and stuff but it feels wrong to. Nice of them to do this. Forever is awesome. Good to see it being 100% donation.

It would be nice to get Cull finished. It left off with such an intense cliffhanger.

TheFlow

Banned
Even as a big fan for its place in the grander scheme of things and as a story, I'd be the first to admit the first book is pretty different in terms of writing style since Byrne scripts and you can tell even Mig hasn't gotten fully comfortable yet (although there is some really striking stuff towards the end). It's not the best and the Nazi stuff is a fun part of Hellboy but not the core thing in my mind.

It's never easy to recommend stuff while also saying at the same time you might need to slog through a little first but after vol 1 and vol 2 where Mig actually does the whole thing himself for the first time writing wise Imo it reaaaally gets going at volume 3. The chained coffin and the iron shoes always felt to me where HB started to tap into the folklorish feel that ends up defining the book. HB visiting Ireland, rambling around and finding trouble in unlikely places, and the mighty Dave Stewart completing the puzzle.

Totally agree that you might dig the Bprd though, Arcudi is stellar with the characters.
I can not agree with this enough.

shingi70

Banned
Any experience from buying with Amazon. Wanted to use my amazon gift card credit on some floppies, how well does the syncing and image quality work with comixology.

mreddie

Pull right now is

CAPTAIN AMERICA SAM WILSON #19
CAPTAIN AMERICA STEVE ROGERS #11
DOCTOR STRANGE #1.MU
DOCTOR STRANGE #17
GREEN ARROW #17
GWENPOOL #12
INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #4
SILK #17
STAR-LORD #3
US AVENGERS #3

Thanks guys! I just got back from PTAs and I'm ready to dive into some comics. Renew your vows I was def going to get but I'll pick up the others too. I actually have the recent #1 of Jessica Jones. Is it worth it to get #2-4 along with #5?
Jessica Jones and Infamous Iron Man are books that are top tier Bendis.

So yes, pick that shit up. And if you like that, you should go back and read Alias. It's THE Jessica Jones book, by the same creative team (assuming you haven't read it).

Jessica Jones and Infamous Iron Man are books that are top tier Bendis.

So yes, pick that shit up. And if you like that, you should go back and read Alias. It's THE Jessica Jones book, by the same creative team (assuming you haven't read it).

Single-character Bendis is the best Bendis.

Top Bottom