• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

I think I realized that why I don't really like SamCap is that, despite only being 6 months old (on MU), it already feels dated. The political mindset of the U.S. has dramatically changed and the extremely cynical "nobody is going to change anything" mindset the book sometimes displays feels insulting. This is very much a book of the 2016 election rather than the U.S. post January 21st, 2017.

calder

I picked up the first volume of The Black Monday Murders a couple of weeks ago on ComiXology and loved it. Very slow to start but damn did it grab me; reread it instantly to try to puzzle out stuff.

Gonna be a long wait for the next volume

Finally finished bagging, boarding, and organizing a month's worth of issues. Watched the first episode of Legion, which was great (Even with that
discount Rogue
). Watched the most recent episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which was great (what's up with
Inhumans with exploding powers teaming up with the Watchdogs
). And watched a couple more episodes of Lost Girl, which has gotten better (on S4).

Overall good night so far.
I think I realized that why I don't really like SamCap is that, despite only being 6 months old (on MU), it already feels dated. The political mindset of the U.S. has dramatically changed and the extremely cynical "nobody is going to change anything" mindset the book sometimes displays feels insulting. This is very much a book of the 2016 election rather than the U.S. post January 21st, 2017.
I disagree. The book manages to stay relevant, plus under the current political climate things aren't looking much better. It may be cynical, but I don't think it's exactly wrong.

VanWinkle

JLA #1 was pretty good. Art was great. But wow, Batman's argument for the creation of this group (need more human, relatable heroes) literally made NO SENSE. Like, did Orlando think about it at all? Vixon? Killer Frost? LOBO?! I like these choices in a team book, but how in the world are these more human and relatable?

Ross61

JLA #1 was pretty good. Art was great. But wow, Batman's argument for the creation of this group (need more human, relatable heroes) literally made NO SENSE. Like, did Orlando think about it at all? Vixon? Killer Frost? LOBO?! I like these choices in a team book, but how in the world are these more human and relatable?
Vixen ain't relatable?

Sandfox

Poor Martian Manhunter. Nobody wants him on their team.

Rereading Darkseid War again.

I really hope Rucka's WW goes into the whole brother business soon. Or even Grail like what's she doing post-Rebirth with creepy baby Darkseid?

Oh and yes I desperately want Martian Manhunter back on the JL team again. I miss him.

The only one that doesn't make sense is Lobo, but I feel he justifies it in the first issue based on what he says to Choi. Also, read JLvSS. And the one-shots. His choices are more than justified.

ElNarez

Banned
There's a part of me that thinks The Wild Storm is gonna be like Supreme: Blue Rose and I don't know whether it's good or bad news.

Catching up on some of my Marvel reading. Still liking Spider-Woman, All-New Wolverine, Dr Strange, Gwenpool and Hulk.

Still pretty down on ASM and Spider-Man, but can't bring myself to drop either.

The Orb being fascinated by Misery's eyes and saying he thinks he loves it got a pretty big laugh out of me.

Still have the Iron Man titles and a couple random books to catch up on.

Being behind on Daredevil and Mighty Thor just because they would be the very last books I'd want to read on an already way behind read pile. I will probably catch up on Mighty Thor eventually though.

Enjoyed JLA rebirth, was fun to see a new justice league team being built again rather than the set team of heroes who have pretty much worked together for years, was also good to see a bit of banter and arguing between the new team (the last time they tried that was in the awful frat boy justice league dialogue in the early new 52 justice league issues, thankfully its better than that). Will make a nice change to see a team hopefully built of characters rather than the focus being on the big bad guy of the week and how to stop them.

I think the more human thing is in relation to characters who are flawed and trying to redeem themselves as opposed to the original league who are almost regarded as gods and unflappable at this point.

One weird thing I noticed though in the issue is that in the dialogue every third or fourth word is in bold. I get this is usually used to show when a character is emphasizing a word or shouting a word, but if you actually read out the dialogue in the way the words are emphasized it makes no sense at all. I don't know if its some kind or printing or editing error.

Also Legion was definitely a promising start, you've got to love a show with a bollywood dance number and Aubrey Plaza. I was quite surprised though
that they got out of the mental hospital so quickly, I thought from trailers that would be the setting of the show for most of the series. Unless its some kind or delusion and he ends back up there.

Great movie.

IDW code sale("IDW") and Avengers sale on CMX.

Edit: Bug? The code works with every digital issue, not just IDW? Jump on it?

Edit: Reported to CMX.

Edit: Swamp Thing!!!

The Lazarus Contract, the Titans/Teen Titans/Deathstroke crossover. 4 issues just like Superman Reborn, The Button and the other family crossovers.

I could have sworn they said they were retelling the Judas Contract not doing a new story. I guess this sidesteps having to explain how Cyborg fits in lol.

Not happy about having to buy a Brett Booth issue because that is the reason I've been avoiding Dan Abnett's Titans even though he is so great on Aquaman.

The current Ms. Marvel arc is better than I expected it to be so far.
I feel the same. I was expecting a lot of lighthearted, jokey superheroics mixed in with "Bruno's gone I'm sad." But this arc has done a lot to solidify Kamala as a character who can be serious when needed. The real question now is: Black Suit Kamala?
I am pretty close to dropping Teen Titans and Deathstroke so that crossover is gonna have to be pretty damn good

Or just do what I do and only by the crossover issues and go back to not reading that book.

Dusknoir

I feel the same. I was expecting a lot of lighthearted, jokey superheroics mixed in with "Bruno's gone I'm sad." But this arc has done a lot to solidify Kamala as a character who can be serious when needed. The real question now is: Black Suit Kamala?

Or just do what I do and only by the crossover issues and go back to not reading that book.

I'm doing that for Titans.

stn

Anyone enjoying the Deathstroke Rebirth? Its... okay. Has Batwoman #1 released yet? Really looking forward to that.

Ross61

Deathstroke getting
speed force powers
is the exact type of ridiculous comic shit that I love. Rebirth ❤️

I thought this is what everyone does

Including a book I greatly dislike in a storyline with two books I'm kinda close to dropping isn't thrilling to me, is what I'm saying. I will try it if I'm still reading those books when it starts

Anyone enjoying the Deathstroke Rebirth? Its... okay. Has Batwoman #1 released yet? Really looking forward to that.

Batwoman comes out Wednesday! Hype hype hype

Just spotted this, what's up man?/did you get this sorted?

I don't play the justice games but nice to get swampy some mainstream spotlight. I liked him in lego batman 3 haha

I bought this Asus VG245H for around $170. Color isn't super great compared to a TV but it's good enough if you tweak it compared to the HP LED 25es monitor I was using, which always looked washed out no matter what setting I had it on. It was giving me a headache to look at it. That was the main reason I got this. I wanted something that was affordable but still had the specs and color to be almost high end.

I am very back and forth on it. Some issues I love, some Issues I like but am left confused.

I really like it I am just wanting more answers and clarity and it's coming slowly.

I was not a big fan of the gun violence issue and was really confused on a lot of praise it was getting. Thought the praise for it made absolutely no sense because it didn't really seem like there was much of a "message".

Thank god its not just me i thought i was just dumb probably sill am lol.

Haha, I feel like the book takes huge leaps in just about every direction it can. Jumps in time, jumps in logic, jumps in characterizations. I don't know if it's because it's made for past fans and not made very easy for new readers but it feels like everything is written to be a mystery when most the time it shouldn't be. It's like it requires every single detail and issue to be remembered. I'm basically always confused until the next issue where some stuff is resolved but I'm left confused again.

I'm still really fucking confused about the issue that had a fake Deathstroke having a meeting in a bar at the same time Slade was somewhere else. This book seems to really like fake Deathstrokes running around. Even in the most recent issue where it was trying to explain who put the hit out on Rose I felt just as confused as Rose. I knew there was weird shit going on with who did it, but it still seemed really confusing.

Sandfox

DC is quick with those crossovers now.

This is a good cover:
secret-empire0.jpg

For the two other people that care, CMX is finally adding the first trade of Warren Ellis' Stormwatch run tomorrow.
Yesssssssss~

Hopefully a DC Rebirth sale starting later with comics featuring Superboy, Robin, Batwoman and old Wildstorm books like they did with JLA etc.

Think I'm turning in to the bed now. Feeling a bit woozy and cold. Don't burn the thread down while I'm gone~

Top Bottom