• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

caliph95

If Warren Ellis name is on a book it is almost guaranteed to be good
Except for that mediocre Avengers graphic novel he wrote
Up there for me along with Brubaker, Brian k vaughn, and Neil Gaiman etc, imo.

Tim. It's here and on sale!

Warren Ellis DC sale
https://www.comixology.com/Warren-Ellis-Collection-Sale/page/14092?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvbGFyZ2VDYXJvdXNlbA

And finally. FINALLY the complete Ellis stormwatch set is available.

One of the best cape team books out there. You don't need to know anything beforehand. In typical Ellis fashion he comes in goes clean slate and makes it his own

Also if you haven't picked them up I also highly highly recommend the following.

- Authority - only Ellis's work. It's widescreen comics
- Planetary - its essentially Ellis's fantastic four book
- Global Frequency. Great action packed series. Each issue a self contained story with rotations cast
- Transmet - Unfiltered Ellis. As relevant today as when it came out

I want all this on digital (have most in hardcover or floppy), but I'm cashpoor right now. =(

I rather liked it, but
sort of wish they kept it in DC. Not that I don't like Daleks. Also it's weird that they kept fake Godzilla when they couldn't get real Godzilla.

I agree with you on
fake Godzilla, but I thought the rest of that was SO COOL. It was my favorite part of the movie. My kid flipped for one character in particular. Legos are toys and that's how you play with toys..you mash everything together. It makes sense and I love that they approached this with a philosophy of..."what can we do in a LEGO Batman movie that you can't do in a regular Batman movie? Let's do all of that." That is the genius of this film.

We live in a world where there is a movie animated with 100% convincing Legos, Batman is the star and he fights ______ and ________ in the same movie. Oh and all of his own villains, all of them. _______ King.
Just blows my mind

Also this was a super hero movie where the main character has an actual arc, which is pretty rare these days for super hero fare outside of origin films. That was cool too

I agree with you on
fake Godzilla, but I thought the rest of that was SO COOL. It was my favorite part of the movie. My kid flipped for one character in particular. Legos are toys and that's how you play with toys..you mash everything together. It makes sense and I love that they approached this with a philosophy of..."what can we do in a LEGO Batman movie that you can't do in a regular Batman movie? Let's do all of that." That is the genius of this film.

We live in a world where there is a movie animated with 100% convincing Legos, Batman is the star and he fights ______ and ________ in the same movie. Oh and all of his own villains, all of them. _______ King.
Just blows my mind

Also this was a super hero movie where the main character has an actual arc, which is pretty rare outside of origin movies. That was cool too
I really want all the end credits figures. White dress/tux GC Sirens~

I really want all the end credits figures. White dress/tux GC Sirens~

Yes! Those were gorgeous.

You know, I was expecting to come out of this feeling like I needed to go get every single set but I actually only want a couple more. I have Clayface and the Scuttler and I'm pretty happy with those. I think I will grab the Mr. Freeze set and mayyyybe the Batmobile (probably not). The
mega batmobile
is the only one I'm really dying to get, but it's moderately pricey and not yet available, so it will be awhile.

Congratulations, you've beaten the hardest Bloodborne boss.

I really liked the Kos fight. He's easy and hard at the same time. I still have Laurence and the chalice dungeon bosses. Plus I have yet to beat the final two bosses of the main game (I'm doing the DLC first, obviously). And Laurence one shots me, so....

Yes! Those were gorgeous.

You know, I was expecting to come out of this feeling like I needed to go get every single set but I actually only want a couple more. I have Clayface and the Scuttler and I'm pretty happy with those. I think I will grab the Mr. Freeze set and mayyyybe the Batmobile (probably not). The
mega batmobile
is the only one I'm really dying to get, but it's moderately pricey and not yet available, so it will be awhile.
We are so getting another wave with Wayne Manor
/Joker Island
and the others.

Edit: X-23 sale on CMX.

Messi~ Do you have money put away for this?

tim1138

I have not. But based off of the good words from you and Tim I know I'm in for a treat when I do get around to it!

Planetary is one of those books I wish I could read again for the first time, it's probably my favorite Ellis comic.

Don't pass on the Planetary Crossing World's book, it's three one shots where Planetary crosses over with Batman, the JLA, and the Authority.

Going well. Hit level 50 something. Just bested
spider boss

I see you've been on a ton playing the game. I've ended up going exclusively with a solo sword build

I went spear / double-sword initially, but switched my secondary to the Kusarigama instead. It's literally amazing. Also don't forget to put points into sloth and lifeseal onmyo magic. They are extremely helpful.

Planetary is one of those books I wish I could read again for the first time, it's probably my favorite Ellis comic.

Don't pass on the Planetary Crossing World's book, it's three one shots where Planetary crosses over with Batman, the JLA, and the Authority.

Have still never read this, really need to do something about that one day.

tim1138

No
Planetary
is a bummer, but
Midnighter and Apollo
!

Have still never read this, really need to do something about that one day.

Yes, yes you do. It's readily available too, the omnibus and existing tpbs are still in print plus they're releasing deluxe tpbs as well. And of course it's available in superior digital format as well. Everyone needs to read Planetary.

caliph95

Wild Storm is back.

One of the worst parts of New 52 is that it basically killed wild storm glad to see it back.

I feeling rereading planetary might as well.

Vision #3-#6: Wow, that was rather well done. Especially P vs NP. Great issue and definitely didn't read like a regurgitated Wikipedia entry*...

*like some other writers are wont to.

redlemon

I remember people saying it was a bad idea to merge your Comixology and Amazon accounts when they first introduced it. Is there any reason not to do it now? I was going to buy Infinity Gauntlet for a quid off Amazon and I'd like it on Comixology.

I did this recently and was really disappointed. The android app doesn't support switching to 2 page spreads in landscape mode when reading manga and the kindle app does which is ridiculous.

ElNarez

Banned
Wild Storm is back.

One of the worst parts of New 52 is that it basically killed wild storm glad to see it back.

I feeling rereading planetary might as well.

I'll defend the Cornell run on Stormwatch any day of the week. Martian Manhunter in Stormwatch is one of those ideas that are brilliant enough to justify Wildstorm and DC existing in the same place.

caliph95

I'll defend the Cornell run on Stormwatch any day of the week. Martian Manhunter in Stormwatch is one of those ideas that are brilliant enough to justify Wildstorm and DC existing in the same place.

Maybe but the Wild Storm universe were better off in their own universe than having to share with the DC universe. Except having midnighter fighting nightwing and such wildstorm were more interesting in their own universe than just being another group of heroes.

ElNarez

Banned
fuck I just remembered how Starlin took over, and how much the book went to shit after that

MAN I REALLY CAN'T WAIT FOR THE WILD STORM, CLEAN SLATE, PURGE IT ALL FROM MY MEMORY

shingi70

Banned
fuck I just remembered how Starlin took over, and how much the book went to shit after that

MAN I REALLY CAN'T WAIT FOR THE WILD STORM, CLEAN SLATE, PURGE IT ALL FROM MY MEMORY

I was super excited beucase all I knew of Starlin was he was the cosmic guy for the longest time, but man stormwatch was terrible.

It's a shame because the Martian Manhunter series still worked in a world with the Justice League.

Man, 11 O'clock Comics podcast is a bunch of dorky goobers sometimes. It's kind of hard to listen to them faun over women in comics and make the most cringey raunchy jokes.

Spectacular Spider-Man by Zdarsky/Kubert ongoing.

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-relaunches-spectacular-spider-man-zdarsky-kubert/

“[W]e’re using the same Spider-Man in-continuity but shifting the spotlight back to his NYC environment and supporting cast,” Zdarsky told EW of the new title’s approach to the character. “But even though we’re pushing to make it a more personal book, we’re still going to have big adventures with ramifications that’ll be felt in his other books. If I had, like, a true mission statement for the title though, it would be: “Have fun, have heart, have stakes.” My personal mission statement going into the book is ‘With great power comes something something I don’t know I’ve never had power before.'”

TheFlow

Banned
First Miracle man, now this. I think the new Gods are are about to get another book. Also lol another Spidey book? lord have mercy

700.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Man, 11 O'clock Comics podcast is a bunch of dorky goobers sometimes. It's kind of hard to listen to them faun over women in comics and make the most cringey raunchy jokes.

I dropped them last fall. Got sick of them never talking about any books I read. DAP is also a bit of touchy dickhead in their Facebook community.

And yeah Vince is the worst when it comes to a pretty girl. He's like a 10 year old who just saw his first playboy.

I'll stick with iFanboy and Serious Issues.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with you on

Just blows my mind

Also this was a super hero movie where the main character has an actual arc, which is pretty rare these days for super hero fare outside of origin films. That was cool too

Yeah, you're probably right.
Maybe I'm still just a bit salty that they refused to say ___ by their name. 'Ask your nerd friends"? Come on, man.

Top Bottom