• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

Sandfox

I've been trying to formulate my thoughts on Captain America: Sam Wilson and I think that generally I don't like it very much. There's nothing wrong with politically-charged stuff but I feel like it's basically just saying "everything is shit" and it isn't very enjoyable to read.

Part of the problem is that, given the state of modern politics in the U.S., it's kind of weird that apparently nobody really supports him? Like here we are in 2017 with protests happening every weekend and yet in SamCap world most of the people he encounters hate his guts. The book focuses too much on exaggerating the bad parts of the modern U.S. without the proper balance to make it enjoyable. Even in the latter parts of Claremont's X-Men where anti-mutant racism was at its most extreme it was never this cynical.
The parts about Sam and his supporting cast getting hate isn't exaggerated. The book does use exaggerated extremist for villians though, but it also has characters like US Agent. Not everyone will want to read about that sort of thing though.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the greatest comic panel of all time.

njGDGxU.jpg

The parts about Sam and his supporting cast getting hate isn't exaggerated. The book does use exaggerated extremist for villians though, but it also has characters like US Agent. Not everyone will want to read about that sort of thing though.
That's how I feel. But for this entire last arc Sam has been doubting himself and has finally started to come back. I have to say though, the Sam is probably the angriest Cap in the 616/New Earth canon.

How's Gwenpool as a character? Or how do you guys like or dislike her? I just read Champions #5 and man, she's so annoying. Maybe it's just because she hijacked part of a book she's not a part of, but yeesh, I was ready for that issue to be over.

Sandfox

How's Gwenpool as a character? Or how do you guys like or dislike her? I just read Champions #5 and man, she's so annoying. Maybe it's just because she hijacked part of a book she's not a part of, but yeesh, I was ready for that issue to be over.

I think she's a good character, but everyone other than Hastings has had an iffy handle on her so far.

mreddie

She's good in her series, it helps that Chris Hastings knows how to make her sympathetic. She thinks her actions have no impact. She's basically the Crazy Ex Girlfriend of Marvel.

Waid just wasted her, funny enough, her other crossover with RR/Groot was actually decent because those writers matched her character well.

I think she's a good character, but everyone other than Hastings has had an iffy handle on her so far.

She's good in her series, it helps that Chris Hastings knows how to make her sympathetic. She thinks her actions have no impact. She's basically the Crazy Ex Girlfriend of Marvel.

Waid just wasted her, funny enough, her other crossover with RR/Groot was actually decent because those writers matched her character well.

Okay, fair enough. I just caught her with the wrong writer. I saw the positive reactions to her book in the past, so I wanted to see if it was a fluke or if it just wasn't for me.

error4041

Gwenpool is great, not only the fact that she thinks her actions have no impact, but her incompetence, and how she gets out of situations by abusing her 4th wall knowledge of everyone around her.

Her fight with MODAK in issue #4 is probably one of my favorite action scenes in a Comicbook.

Okay, fair enough. I just caught her with the wrong writer. I saw the positive reactions to her book in the past, so I wanted to see if it was a fluke or if it just wasn't for me.

The trick is she (correctly) knows the Marvel characters are all in a comic. The problem is this leads her not to think of them as people. Hastings has a good handle on her, but in any other book, he premise makes her come across as a sociopath.

The trick is she (correctly) knows the Marvel characters are all in a comic. The problem is this leads her not to think of them as people. Hastings has a good handle on her, but in any other book, he premise makes her come across as a sociopath.

Gotcha, that makes more sense now.

The Bendis conversation in RR/Groot was great.

Her in Champions was weird. On the one hand, it was a fairly decent means of covering a relevant political topic. On the other hand, her dialogue made her seem forced as fuck.

5695472-ww-annual-1.jpg

WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL #1

Written by GREG RUCKA and others—Art by NICOLA SCOTT, LIAM SHARP and others—Cover by NICOLA SCOTT

The world of the Amazing Amazon expands in a collection of short stories that take Wonder Woman around the globe! In the days after “Year One,” Diana comes face-to-face with Superman and Batman for the first time, as illustrated by “Year One” artist Nicola Scott…and years later, Liam Sharp brings you the story of how their friendship has evolved!
More Nicola art is always good.

Edit: The Animated Adventures Of Buffy.

Edit 2: What out of print books would you really want available again?

Edit 3: Comic Legends: How Was Warlock’s First Appearance Re-Written?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers v1 #0, #1: Not really feeling this. Feels like I got dropped into the third volume of a run, not the first. Boom's paper quality is great like always, so that was nice I guess.

I don't like her. Read five issues of her ongoing and I don't think there was much going for it past the cute artwork. Kinda felt like Squirrel Girl only not written as well.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh shit, now there is a story about the Red Skull beeing angry because he is no longer allowed to say Hail Hydra. And then the Ghosts in a Scrooge like Setup appear and its Adolf Hitler. Man these special issues are really where its shines at Marvel :D

Her in Champions was weird. On the one hand, it was a fairly decent means of covering a relevant political topic. On the other hand, her dialogue made her seem forced as fuck.

I'm on board with this. I like the gwenpool ongoing (as well as Dr. McNinja, which I've been following since sometime in 06 or 07 at least) but it seems like Champions completely did not get the character at all.

Gwen comes off as an annoying psychopath there. "forced" is the right word for it- almost seemed like a gwenpool parody, not the real thing.

edit: it also occurs to me that Jessica Jones #5 is a much more twisted look at the "character knows they're in a comic book" concept that Gwenpool uses.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Really liked the Prowler #1. Power Man & Iron Fist Sweet Christmas Issue was horrible. Spider-Man Annual was shit. Now reading the Wonder Woman Anniversary Issue and loving it.

I'm on board with this. I like the gwenpool ongoing (as well as Dr. McNinja, which I've been following since sometime in 06 or 07 at least) but it seems like Champions completely did not get the character at all.

Gwen comes off as an annoying psychopath there. "forced" is the right word for it- almost seemed like a gwenpool parody, not the real thing.

edit: it also occurs to me that Jessica Jones #5 is a much more twisted look at the "character knows they're in a comic book" concept that Gwenpool uses.
Oh wow you're totally right

From Ellis' newsletter. Don't share it too much.

FEBRUARY 15. The first issue of THE WILD STORM by myself and Jon Davis-Hunt.

There was a drop-in promotional pamphlet in DC comics last week.

As Jon powers through the first six issues of THE WILD STORM, I've been developing the second book in the line, MICHAEL CRAY. I start writing the next six issues of THE WILD STORM in about six weeks.

I believe there's going to be an interview with me about WILD STORM on Vulture sometime next week.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers v1 #0, #1: Not really feeling this. Feels like I got dropped into the third volume of a run, not the first. Boom's paper quality is great like always, so that was nice I guess.

Profound sadness.

I didn't really find it confusing but I'm a long time PR fan. It picks up from the Green With Evil five-parter in the original show.

A re-telling from the very beginning could have been interesting, but Saban wants that nostalgia dollar, so they have to start with Tommy on the team.

Good night everyone, hopefully seeing TLBM tomorrow and maybe picking up a volume(has anyone checked out the Flash by Waid Book 1 DC released?)~

Profound sadness.

I didn't really find it confusing but I'm a long time PR fan. It picks up from the Green With Evil five-parter in the original show.

A re-telling from the very beginning could have been interesting, but Saban wants that nostalgia dollar, so they have to start with Tommy on the team.
I can understand the sentiment, though. I'm a MMPR fan as well, but even I was confused as to why they'd start there. It would have made for a better series had they started from the beginning, but it's still pretty bangin' as is.

Profound sadness.

I can understand the sentiment, though. I'm a MMPR fan as well, but even I was confused as to why they'd start there. It would have made for a better series had they started from the beginning, but it's still pretty bangin' as is.

Maybe it was my mindset too but the DC and Marvel resets in the recent years have got me expecting an easy "hook" into a #1. You mentioned Green With Evil, is that an episode of a TV show or a 5 part mini-series? Maybe I should revisit the comic after watching/reading that?

Top Bottom