• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
KuGsj.gif

nLhWs.jpg

That guy in the last panel reminds me of TTOB's avatar. Like eerie resemblance.

Writing the most popular book on the market back when that meant something has it's advantages

You don't wanna know what Rob Liefeld's paycheck looked like. Homeboy was a millionaire by his early 30s.

BTW RC, you still modding SRK? I haven't been there in ages

That's insane. What does the average creator get now?

And yeah I am but valaris does a lot of it because he has more time. I'm hoping I get more free time this year and can do more in GD.

IrishNinja

yes.
sorry bros, Grant Morrison is a fantastic writer who's written may great stories, that just wasn't one of them. we can still be cool, i bet we'd agree on lots of other books!

I'm sorry you have that view. I'm afraid it will now color all my thoughts of your future opinions.

krypto it took years to push past the playground diametric where DC kids couldn't eat with us, so you gotta work with me here
i tell you what, ive been sleeping on animal man & swamp thing, ima give them a go soon
ps blade runner was goddamn brilliant

Bro, listen to this bro...bro. Gotta buy Hawkguy bro. Bro is great book bro.

Aja so fucking good, DRAW MORE COMICS.

these guys know what's up! fucking loved him on Iron Fist

Brick

This is another one of those "New to comics/looking for recommendations" posts. I had a buddy loan me his Locke & Key collections earlier this year as an introduction to comics and I really dug it. I've started reading Walking Dead because I enjoy the show and am really getting into that too. Now, I'm looking for a good jumping in point for the superhero genre. I don't really have any swing one way or another on DC/Marvel (or any other publishers. Not really sure who is out there besides these two), but I'm just looking for something with a good story and good characters. What's a good starting point for that genre?

Acid08

Banned
This is another one of those "New to comics/looking for recommendations" posts. I had a buddy loan me his Locke & Key collections earlier this year as an introduction to comics and I really dug it. I've started reading Walking Dead because I enjoy the show and am really getting into that too. Now, I'm looking for a good jumping in point for the superhero genre. I don't really have any swing one way or another on DC/Marvel (or any other publishers. Not really sure who is out there besides these two), but I'm just looking for something with a good story and good characters. What's a good starting point for that genre?

If you're into Walking Dead check out Kirkman's superhero book Invincible.

That was one of the first comics I started reading, stoked for issue 100 later this month! Should be dope.
Gonna nab that chromium cover. With that superstar art team, top five in comics, up there with Reis, Reis and Prado. Shit all over Aja, Humberto Ramos and Land. Guarding The Globe is chill as well.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Hoax Hunters was decent. I like the astronaut guy. Now I need to borrow my gf's Revival trade and see how that is. Image has a lot of good stuff that I need to check out. I like that they release their trades quickly.

IrishNinja

Hitman is so underrated; it started out of some forced DC event and could've just stayed a comedy/supes parody like Ennis likes, but he had some really touching moments in there. one of my top 3 books of his, though Preacher's easily # 1.

related note: i might also be solo on this, but as a result of that, i gotta say The Boys was kinda disappointing in comparison. i kept thinking it'd take it there like Hitman did & make me care about the cast, but it didn't quite manage that.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Hitman is so underrated; it started out of some forced DC event and could've just stayed a comedy/supes parody like Ennis likes, but he had some really touching moments in there. one of my top 3 books of his, though Preacher's easily # 1.

related note: i might also be solo on this, but as a result of that, i gotta say The Boys was kinda disappointing in comparison. i kept thinking it'd take it there like Hitman did & make me care about the cast, but it didn't quite manage that.

Tommy was the best thing to come out of bloodlines. What a piece of shit event

Hitman is #1 in my heart, Preacher is #2. Both top 15 runs for me.

Never really cared for his Punisher, though. I know that's a sin, but his run bores me, whether it's the wacky Welcome Back Frank or the more serious PunisherMAX. I got no problem with wacky Punisher, fan of Baron's run, along with Fraction's War Journal and Remender's Punisher(in fact, got that in omnibus form for Christimas). And I LOVED Jason Aaron's PunisherMAX run. And Ennis is one of my all-time faves, so this should be right up my alley

IDK, I'm weird like that I guess
KuGsj.gif

IrishNinja

Tommy was the best thing to come out of bloodlines. What a piece of shit event

seriously, id totally forget that event if not for him

Hitman is #1 in my heart, Preacher is #2. Both top 15 runs for me.

Never really cared for his Punisher, though. I know that's a sin, but his run bores me, whether it's the wacky Welcome Back Frank or the more serious PunisherMAX. I got no problem with wacky Punisher, fan of Baron's run, along with Fraction's War Journal and Remender's Punisher(in fact, got that in omnibus form for Christimas). And I LOVED Jason Aaron's PunisherMAX run. And Ennis is one of my all-time faves, so this should be right up my alley

IDK, I'm weird like that I guess
KuGsj.gif

heh, i know one other comics fan who puts Hitman over Preacher, and he also loves Punisher bout found him boring with Ennis, that's funny.
nah its cool, i enjoyed the knights stuff but really liked Mother Russia and some of the early MAX stuff, it went on too long but honestly i just think Ennis has a very limited amount of subject matter sometimes, and if its not religion, war stories, stuff about how he loves NY or the like he'll fall back on troupes pretty quick. i went through a phase where i read every single thing he wrote stateside (and much of his UK crisis type stuff), i feel like he's excellent with the certain types of stories he has in him but his range is kinda limited.

hom3land

Stumbled upon Terry Moores Echoes and really like it so far. Unless I haven't read enough and it gets horrible, surprised I haven't seen it listed as suggested readings on newbie lists I've found.

Just read a few comics here's my review:

Alias by bendis is the true definition of a "page turner"

Not sure what to think of fear agent I only read the first issue and it was kind of boring it was like a silly version of Prophet.

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36: I love peters reaction when raptor mentions bill Reilly he has like a mental freak out.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Aja aight, but he aint no Rob Liefeld

in other news, Hitman? Still the best comic of them all

jMaXAdrIq78Ai.jpg

Look at that page. The only good thing about it is the writing. Art, colours, letters even, all ugly as fuck. I've tried getting into Hitman but the muddy presentation doesn't do it any favours. Not nearly as breezy or charming as Preacher IMO.

Look at that page. The only good thing about it is the writing. Art, colours, letters even, all ugly as fuck. I've tried getting into Hitman but the muddy presentation doesn't do it any favours. Not nearly as breezy or charming as Preacher IMO.

Yea so many great 90s comics were dragged down due to bad art

IrishNinja

aw, that's not fair - McCrea's by no means the best but his style grows on you

Dillon can only draw like 3 faces, and (my opinion) didn't really come into his own on Preacher until much later. look at Gone to Texas, then Alamo and see how much bolder/minimal some panels are.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
aw, that's not fair - McCrea's by no means the best but his style grows on you

Dillon can only draw like 3 faces, and (my opinion) didn't really come into his own on Preacher until much later. look at Gone to Texas, then Alamo and see how much bolder/minimal some panels are.

It's fair, I read two trades of Hitman and it was a chore, feels like reading through molasses.

And yeah, Dillion is also quite bad, but at least he's clean and readable and the colours aren't the sickly greens and purples of Hitman. I mean, Tommy's coat, who the fuck wears a coat that colour?

Dillion's women all look like crackwhores though. I always wonder, is Tulip meant to look vaguely skanky and strung out?

What's the verdict on Daredevil: Yellow? I just grabbed the first ten issues of Waid's Daredevil run thanks to the Comixology sale, but I have no idea about the quality of the other issues on sale. I had a quick look at the previews available on the app and the artwork looks great.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
What's the verdict on Daredevil: Yellow? I just grabbed the first ten issues of Waid's Daredevil run thanks to the Comixology sale, but I have no idea about the quality of the other issues on sale. I had a quick look at the previews available on the app and the artwork looks great.

It's nice, it' from Loeb/Sale's wistful period where they did all these vaguely maudlin recap stories. Pretty and elegant, not particularly exciting though.

It's fair, I read two trades of Hitman and it was a chore, feels like reading through molasses.

And yeah, Dillion is also quite bad, but at least he's clean and readable and the colours aren't the sickly greens and purples of Hitman. I mean, Tommy's coat, who the fuck wears a coat that colour?

Dillion's women all look like crackwhores though. I always wonder, is Tulip meant to look vaguely skanky and strung out?

It's nice, it' from Loeb/Sale's wistful period where they did all these vaguely maudlin recap stories. Pretty and elegant, not particularly exciting though.

Can you recommend it as worth reading to a fan of Waid's run? That's literally the extent of my experience with Daredevil.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Can you recommend it as worth reading to a fan of Waid's run? That's literally the extent of my experience with Daredevil.

Yeah. It's certainly not a bad story at all, and it has a lightness of touch in common with Waid's stuff. And it's always worth it for Tim Sale.

If you like it, check out the first Bendis/Maleev collection later too. It's really really good crime comics.

Look at that page. The only good thing about it is the writing. Art, colours, letters even, all ugly as fuck.

Nah, I felt like that the first few issues, but after that I loved McCrea's style. Perfect fit for the book; can't imagine anyone else on it, 'cept maybe Doug Manhke. And I love that GL's green is so bright and ugly, he really doesn't fit in this world at all.

Nah, I felt like that the first few issues, but after that I loved McCrea's style. Perfect fit for the book; can't imagine anyone else on it, 'cept maybe Doug Manhke. And I love that GL's green is so bright and ugly, he really doesn't fit in this world at all.

Only thing that bugged me about that book were the fake curses.

Viewt

McCrea got a LOT better during the course of Hitman.

Hitman_50_07.jpg

Hitman-1-1-thumb-500x379.jpg

splash-hitman-50.jpg

Also, this remains one of my favorite comic book covers:

Hitman_Vol_1_14.jpg

Relax. They end up donating a crapton of money to an animal rights nonprofit at the end of the issue after feeling guilty.

Kieron Gillen has a new avatar book about WW2 coming out.

Uber0.jpg

UBER #0
Retail Price: $3.99 US
Writer: Kieron Gillen
Cover & Art: Caanan White
MR, Color, 48 pages, ongoing monthly

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Kieron Gillen unveils his epic new monthly series, launching with a special double-sized issue! 1945. Germany is in ruins. The war in the west can only be days away from ending. Threats of “wunderwaffen” to be unleashed by the dying Reich have become laughable. There are no miracle weapons here. It’s over. It has to be over.

It’s not. There’s been stories which have mixed enhanced humans and World War 2 before. There’s never been one like this. See super beings in a whole new light as Gillen presents an epic new series that not only rewrites history, it redefines the genre.

Superstar writer KIERON GILLEN (Invincible Iron Man, Uncanny X-Men) delivers a brutal alternate timeline tale of super humans first appearing during WW2.
The Nazis have the Uber. The Allies don’t.
Double-size first issue at a special price!
Uber is a new ongoing monthly

Owzers

please don't be x-23 or anything else terrible looking. I'm already disappointed that Cornell is on Wolverine, i hope this book sounds more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom