• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
That's weird? If I had someone as good as Capullo drawing for me I'd probably do the same.

Writing the gist of the scene and letting your artist do his thing to then add the words is a common thing in comics. So common in fact that it has a name. Oh yeah. It's pretty much The Marvel Method.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Writing the gist of the scene and letting your artist do his thing to then add the words is a common thing in comics. So common in fact that it has a name. Oh yeah. It's pretty much The Marvel Method.

That's what I figured. I've seen scripts for books before, (from Snyder, Slott, Hickman and others) and they all feel the same.

Ok, I got a chuckle out of this.

I dunno why, but I always like it when Damian is a dick to Tim.

ElNarez

Banned
We need to bring it back to basics. F-bombs and "Slott is a big fat hack". New reader-friendly jumping on point.

The f-bombs are the essence of the character, of course that stays. The needlessly vitriolic hatred of Slott can go, though. I mean, we can't just throw Slott out of the equation, but maybe we put him on the side for now. Like, maybe, we cut his face off, and in one year's time we see what we can do with him.

frye

That's weird? If I had someone as good as Capullo drawing for me I'd probably do the same.

I think it creates a weird sense of separation in his Batman work where you have really fantastic action comics on one side and Capullo trying his best to make unending monologues visually interesting on the other. I find that it's pretty fascinating honestly, and it makes a nice comparison to the other Miller/Mazzuchelli-influenced book (i.e. Hawkeye) where the guys involved feel like they're always on the same page.

In the joker arc has been dragging a bit. Hope 16 speeds it up some what.

Damian and dick relationship was the best part of Morrison batman and robin

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think it creates a weird sense of separation in his Batman work where you have really fantastic action comics on one side and Capullo trying his best to make unending monologues visually interesting on the other. I find that it's pretty fascinating honestly, and it makes a nice comparison to the other Miller/Mazzuchelli-influenced book (i.e. Hawkeye) where the guys involved feel like they're always on the same page.

I think that separation makes the book better, it's sort of like how Batman himself goes from detective to action hero depending on what the situation requires. Or the separation between Bruce and the Bat. I dunno, their team up is really working for me on the book more than anything I've read on the character previously. Are there better stories? Perhaps, but I really enjoy this combo. I'll be sad when their run is done.

Their fight in Batman & Son made me sad :(

Really made me hate Damian.

I know, but it's been better since then. All Damian wants is his approval and Tim is sort of like the jealous middle child. The Damian and Dick relationship is awesome though. I remember Snyder saying he'd do an entire book of the Bat-family just dicking around and hanging out if he could. I'd probably read an issue of that.

ElNarez

Banned
In the joker arc has been dragging a bit. Hope 16 speeds it up some what.

Damian and dick relationship was the best part of Morrison batman and robin

Snyder's been hyping up 16 and 17 as "the ones where real fucked up shit happens", basically. And I've been waiting for Snyder to go back to fucked up since the end of his Detective run. There were shades of that in #5 with the labyrinth, but I know he can take it much further.

ReiGun

The f-bombs are the essence of the character, of course that stays. The needlessly vitriolic hatred of Slott can go, though. I mean, we can't just throw Slott out of the equation, but maybe we put him on the side for now. Like, maybe, we cut his face off, and in one year's time we see what we can do with him.

The face cutting sounds like it could lead into a nice event. Which is great. Promote some of these other characters.

Acid08

Banned
So I've read Batman and Son and have all of Morrison's B&R trades plus the first Inc trade. I don't have the money to buy the rest of his run, could I just read both of these and be okay? Will wiki summaries be okay for the rest?

Fantomex

Would you guys recommend collecting Wolverine and the Xmen? Considering getting all the older issues. Will it still be an ongoing this year?

frye

I think that separation makes the book better, it's sort of like how Batman himself goes from detective to action hero depending on what the situation requires. Or the separation between Bruce and the Bat. I dunno, their team up is really working for me on the book more than anything I've read on the character previously. Are there better stories? Perhaps, but I really enjoy this combo. I'll be sad when their run is done.

Yeah, I actually really dig the run. Snyder has been insanely lucky with collaborators so far but Capullo is probably the best. Batman is by far the most interesting thing Snyder has done, even if the batting average isn't as high as 'Tec or American Vampire.

ElNarez

Banned
The face cutting sounds like it could lead into a nice event. Which is great. Promote some of these other characters.

I can already see it.

That brah Slott got his face cut off what's up with that.

Come on could you at least provide a link? Not everyone reads Bleeding Cool here.

Yeah heard that over at BERGEN STREET COMICS it's a shame

:(

Serves the sycophantic fucker right for fucking fucking up the fucking Spider-Fucking-Hyphen-Fucking-Man fucking fuck fuck from the next fucking few issues it fucking seemed like he was fucking gonna make Miguel fucking pop out of fucking nowhere to help the fucking cyberfuckingnetic ghost of Peter Fucking Parker go back to his fucking body

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I've read Batman and Son and have all of Morrison's B&R trades plus the first Inc trade. I don't have the money to buy the rest of his run, could I just read both of these and be okay? Will wiki summaries be okay for the rest?

I've got the first Preacher book and the last one, can I just skip the middle?

In short, whatever you want, it's your experience. In long, no, read the story with all the bits in the right order. If you miss out the Black Glove and RIP you are actually missing out the introduction and setup of the main bad guy for the whole run. B&R starts off 'self contained' but it's really not, it's Part 2 of a story. When Doctor Hurt turns up again you will have no idea of who he is and what he means. And then missing the Return of Brice Wayne will make the ending feel like it comes out of nowhere and means very little.

IMO, it's an all or nothing story. Inc is a little easier to read, it's Part 3 of the saga but has a different antogonist.

Guys, I'm still going crazy here.

Claremont 80's inspiration

+

Morrison 2000's inspiration

+

All women team

+

Olivier Coipel

=

HOLY SHIT
Avengers who?

I have to admit I'm HALF tempted to pick it up. I gave up on Marvel in the late 90's and I haven't gone back since but this has me interested.

*edit*

I should mention, I have tried going back to them in the past and it only lasts like 2 issues or a short run before they piss me off again.

So I'm curious. How do Marvel fans feel about the Avengers? As a non-Marvel fan and Heroclix player (where the vast bulk of my Marvel knowledge comes from), it sometimes seems the majority of Marvel's roster has been an Avenger at some point. How true is it? Does it dilute a team / brand when it feels like it's a bigger deal that the character has not been an Avenger?

As a point of reference, DC feels like it has many more teams and thus less of a feel of "Everyone is on the Justice League".

Owzers

So I'm curious. How do Marvel fans feel about the Avengers? As a non-Marvel fan and Heroclix player (where the vast bulk of my Marvel knowledge comes from), it sometimes seems the majority of Marvel's roster has been an Avenger at some point. How true is it? Does it dilute a team / brand when it feels like it's a bigger deal that the character has not been an Avenger?

As a point of reference, DC feels like it has many more teams and thus less of a feel of "Everyone is on the Justice League".

Feels like Marvel wants to talk about Avengers like its a special club, yet they let everyone into it. I think it's just something to let writers waste a few pages on every time a series starts or something big happens.

arkon

How does it end up you read to lower selling titles? I'm curious? Coincidence or lesser know characters?

I guess the main thing would be that some of the characters and teams I like aren't exactly in the top tier. Captain Britain, Black Panther, Iron Fist, Amadeus Cho, Jamie Madrox, Alpha Flight, and some of the Initiative and Academy kids. It feels like in the lower tier at least that writers have more leeway in what they can do with a character and that any changes or character development they give might have a higher chance of being more permanent. If you look at the Superior Spider-man stuff recently, everyone's talking about when not if the previous status quo will return. I suppose part of that is that when a series with the lower tier characters is finished you can never be certain when they'll be making appearances again. I also like that they're not always tied into events that heavily and tend to be left alone in their own corners of the Marvel universe at times.

Part of it is that I tend to follow creators more as well. That's how I got started on Alpha Flight for example. I jumped onboard with Pak and Van Lente after loving their Incredible Hercules run. Peter David, I'd enjoyed some of his novels and tried out the Madrox miniseries which I loved to bits.

Finally, I tend to give new characters and teams a chance and they obviously don't have the built-in audience at the start. This is because I'd like to experience the journey that some comic readers have, where they've followed characters since their creation and over a number of years (even decades). I find the idea of that to be pretty cool.

Sorry for the rambling post. Hope that's answered the question.

akira28

ElNarez needs a revamp. His character has gotten too complicated and bogged down with continuity.

Lets get him a new girlfriend and a new giant deluxe SubZero fridge. The kind rich people always brag about. I like to call it...foreshadowing.

Fantomex

I guess the main thing would be that some of the characters and teams I like aren't exactly in the top tier. Captain Britain, Black Panther, Iron Fist, Amadeus Cho, Jamie Madrox, Alpha Flight, and some of the Initiative and Academy kids. It feels like in the lower tier at least that writers have more leeway in what they can do with a character and that any changes or character development they give might have a higher chance of being more permanent. If you look at the Superior Spider-man stuff recently, everyone's talking about when not if the previous status quo will return. I suppose part of that is that when a series with the lower tier characters is finished you can never be certain when they'll be making appearances again. I also like that they're not always tied into events that heavily and tend to be left alone in their own corners of the Marvel universe at times.

Part of it is that I tend to follow creators more as well. That's how I got started on Alpha Flight for example. I jumped onboard with Pak and Van Lente after loving their Incredible Hercules run. Peter David, I'd enjoyed some of his novels and tried out the Madrox miniseries which I loved to bits.

Finally, I tend to give new characters and teams a chance and they obviously don't have the built-in audience at the start. This is because I'd like to experience the journey that some comic readers have, where they've followed characters since their creation and over a number of years (even decades). I find the idea of that to be pretty cool.

Sorry for the rambling post. Hope that's answered the question.

That makes sense. The lesser known characters really do give a bigger reward because of the creative freedom they provide. The risk is also that the readership won't be there though. Thanks for explaining.

Since someone mentioned "fun" and "DC" in the same sentence... apparently this got missed in all the hubbub yesterday.

SUPERMAN FAMILY ADVENTURES #12
Written by ART BALTAZAR and FRANCO
Art and cover by ART BALTAZAR
On sale APRIL 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E • FINAL ISSUE
• Because you demanded it! The return of the lunch lady! Er, we mean, the return of DARKSEID!
• Has he returned for good—or evil? Is he going to make us pancakes?
• When the Super Family leaps into action, will they be trapped in Apokolips?!
It wasn't as enjoyable as Tiny Titans but it did have its moments.

Owzers

I gave the first issue a chance but i didn't really like it, same with Tiny Titans. They'd be good books for kids, but they seem too straight forward, simplistic and boring to keep my attention, despite how charming Tiny Titans could be at times.

Necrovex

I've been playing The Darkness II, and I have really been enjoying it. I am interested in checking out the comics, but I know nothing about the comic side of the IP. How is it, and how should I break into this particular medium?

I need to give a shout out to this brah Dennis Hopeless. He is killing it on both his books. Cable and the C Force is the surprise hit for me. He does exposition really well and gives his characters distinct voices without being overbearing. Sal Larocca is redeeming himself for Iron Man or maybe just Stoxkholm Syndrome with Land doing things over there.d Aramata gets the tone of the book down with his colors beautifully. Avengers Arena is just good fun, screw the comic white knights.

Owzers

I need to give a shout out to this brah Dennis Hopeless. He is killing it on both his books. Cable and the C Force is the surprise hit for me. He does exposition really well and gives his characters distinct voices without being overbearing. Sal Larocca is redeeming himself for Iron Man or maybe just Stoxkholm Syndrome with Land doing things over there.d Aramata gets the tone of the book down with his colors beautifully. Avengers Arena is just good fun, screw the comic white knights.

*nods* Not buying either books at the moment, it's going to take some great reviews to sway me when the trade comes out.

Monthly issues of Puck, Mohawk Storm, Spiral, and Bets? Really?

SHIT HOT!

attachment.php

Motherfucking PUCK!!!!!!!!one!!!!!

I've been playing The Darkness II, and I have really been enjoying it. I am interested in checking out the comics, but I know nothing about the comic side of the IP. How is it, and how should I break into this particular medium?

Haven't read too much of the Darkness outside of this, but I would recommend it. I'd say thats a pretty good place to start

Fantomex

You should start by getting a collection of the first comic books dealing with the story. It's what we called a trade paperback. About $11 bucks on Amazon now.

Amazon

as the resident top cow guy i recommend starting with this. it is a great jumping on point for new readers.

then if you i like it i recoment starting with phil hester's run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom