• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
For some time New 52 books were really good sellers right?

Yea. It felt sort of like MarvelNOW, everyone loves a new #1 issue and creative team. I'm still annoyed Static didn't get the love he deserved. It could have been a great book but no they had to plop him in Manhattan and do all sorts of dumb stuff with him.

Yea. It felt sort of like MarvelNOW, everyone loves a new #1 issue and creative team. I'm still annoyed Static didn't get the love he deserved. It could have been a great book but no they had to plop him in Manhattan and do all sorts of dumb stuff with him.

:(

Static is the only New 52 book I bought - I'm a much bigger Marvel fan. Two issues in I find out they cancelled it. So I bought the rest of the issues and cried myself to sleep.

EDIT: Why the hell don't I have a Static avatar...?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
:(

Static is the only New 52 book I bought - I'm a much bigger Marvel fan. Two issues in I find out they cancelled it. So I bought the rest of the issues and cried myself to sleep.

EDIT: Why the hell don't I have a Static avatar...?

The character has a TON of potential but for some reason they just can't seem to put a decent writer on the book. They could have at least put him on the Teen Titans!

The character has a TON of potential but for some reason they just can't seem to put a decent writer on the book. They could have at least put him on the Teen Titans!
They did have a good writer, it's just that he didn't write it. The editor and Scott McDaniel wrote it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They did have a good writer, it's just that he didn't write it. The editor and Scott McDaniel wrote it.

Well fuck, that explains it. They fucked that book up something bad. Completely ignore everything that came before, from side characters to villains. Dude hadhis own rogues gallery and they just went "nah fuck em" I mean who does that? They were interesting.

frye

Well fuck, that explains it. They fucked that book up something bad. Completely ignore everything that came before, from side characters to villains. Dude hadhis own rogues gallery and they just went "nah fuck em" I mean who does that? They were interesting.

Yeah, Rozum was the first to jump ship on the New 52 because of editorial pissing him off I think.

ReiGun

I'm not even as down on the nu 52 as most folk seem to be. Hell, Aquaman is one of my favorite books out. But I would really love to see some fun return to the DCU. Everything is so grim and serious now.

MisterHero

I didn't read Action Comics 16 but supposedly it ends in a cliffhanger
introducing Superdoom?

Isn't #16 Grant Morrison's last issue? Is he leaving in the middle of a story?

Owzers

I'm not even as down on the nu 52 as most folk seem to be. Hell, Aquaman is one of my favorite books out. But I would really love to see some fun return to the DCU. Everything is so grim and serious now.

Justice League and Justice League of America are going to define the DC Universe as a place where fun goes to die.

frye

I didn't read Action Comics 16 but supposedly it ends in a cliffhanger
introducing Superdoom?

Isn't #16 Grant Morrison's last issue? Is he leaving in the middle of a story?

Pretty sure he's got a double-sized finale left next issue.

Justice League and Justice League of America are going to define the DC Universe as a place where fun goes to die.

The Shazam backup legitimately owns.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Batman Beyond Unlimited. It is a bit serious, but all three books involved in it are really fun. It sort of feels like watching the Justice League cartoon from the 00's except set at the same time as Batman Beyond. It's three books: Batman Beyond, Justice League Beyond, and Superman Beyond. You can either get the physical copies which have all three books in them or get them separately for 99 cents an issue digitally. It's not the best stuff DC is putting out, but it's the most fun (for me anyway).

ReiGun

Green Lantern leaving JL solidified it as the least fun team-up ever.

"Sorry guys. I guess I've been making too many jokes and smiling too much. Gotta go."

MisterHero

Pretty sure he's got a double-sized finale left next issue.

The Shazam backup legitimately owns.
Okay I feel better now.

LOL I agree; Shazam owns. Adult Billy is a jerk. I don't know if people would buy a Shazam book now, but making it a back-up story was a great idea.

Owzers

Green Lantern leaving JL solidified it as the least fun team-up ever.

"Sorry guys. I guess I've been making too many jokes and smiling too much. Gotta go."

I prefer the awkward non-romance between Superman and Wonder Woman told only through glaring.

I do like the Shazam back-up too despite it being jerk-centric since the surrounding cast shines, unlike Justice League where it's just a bowl of lifeless people.

Didn't her book sell like, half of what current batgirl is selling? >_> Pretty sure that's true.
Steph's book didn't have an Owl Court or a Leatherface Joker to provide coattails for riding. Also, Gail has built-in fans who follow her anywhere, and Bryan didn't.

And while we're on Justice League, that solicit completely fails at being vague; they're doing it AGAIN.

ReiGun

The Shazam backup is amazing. I can't speak for anyone else, but I would gladly buy a Shazam solo book.

Batman Beyond Unlimited. It is a bit serious, but all three books involved in it are really fun. It sort of feels like watching the Justice League cartoon from the 00's except set at the same time as Batman Beyond. It's three books: Batman Beyond, Justice League Beyond, and Superman Beyond. You can either get the physical copies which have all three books in them or get them separately for 99 cents an issue digitally. It's not the best stuff DC is putting out, but it's the most fun (for me anyway).
I read the first few issues of JL and Batman. I'll guess I'll catch up on them.

I prefer the awkward non-romance between Superman and Wonder Woman told only through glaring.

They tried to go on a date last issue. So of course, this was immediately followed by lots of people dying.

The Aquaman/Batman rivalry would be cool if there were actual division in the team over who should be leader. As it stands, the group doesn't appear to give two fucks who the leader is.

Since DC didn't launch a Red Robin solo, OR re-introduce Cass Cain, I am completely over them. I don't care what hairbrained garbage goes on in their offices. They are dead to me.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Since DC didn't launch a Red Robin solo, OR re-introduce Cass Cain, I am completely over them. I don't care what hairbrained garbage goes on in their offices. They are dead to me.

I don't think I could deal with Tim and his ugly ass costume in a stand alone book

ElNarez

Banned

This is a stupid way of consuming cape comics and you are stupid for pursuing it. Missing out on a non-zero amount of good to great books because of one decision involving one character is one of the stupidest traits in the comics fandom. It's stupid when you do it with DC, it's stupid when you do it with Marvel.

This is a stupid way of consuming cape comics and you are stupid for pursuing it. Missing out on a non-zero amount of good to great books because of one decision involving one character is one of the stupidest traits in the comics fandom. It's stupid when you do it with DC, it's stupid when you do it with Marvel.

Let people read the characters that they want. If their main thing happens to be with a character that they think is mistreated, then so be it. I personally read books with characters I like - if those books did not exist, I probably wouldn't read books from the companies. That's why despite stupid decisions I can't just drop Marvel - I read for the characters I like.

Lol, shutup.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
New DC is definitely big on genocide and wholesale slaughter as everyday occurrences.

...do superheroes ever fight actual crime anymore? It seems every story revolves around the hero's past and personal vendettas.

Let people read the characters that they want. If their main thing happens to be with a character that they think is mistreated, then so be it. I personally read books with characters I like - if those books did not exist, I probably wouldn't read books from the companies. That's why despite stupid decisions I can't just drop Marvel - I read for the characters I like.

Seriously. Still can't read X-titles because of how they're trying to make Cyclops into Magneto and Magneto into Prof X

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
And guys, is Jubilee still a vampire?

AFAIK, yes. Unless she appeared in a comic I didn't see, the last time she appeared was in X-Men, going off with a team of good vampires who have found ways around the vampire bloodlust and have amulets that let them walk around in the daytime.

ElNarez

Banned

Stop forcing yourself to buy bad books just because they've got a character you like. Save yourself some heartache and cash and buy good books.

X-men-marvel-now-1.jpg

I like the art but I don't like these all boy, all girl teams that keep popping up at Marvel

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ohh right, i forgot about Dani's return. i don't mind shaking it up a little bit. x-men looks real good.

Fearless Defenders

idk, it's not something that really matters to me?

what's not something that really matters to you?

kswiston

Not that they really have one at the moment, but it's been a long time since rogue was a regular member of the flagship X-team.

ElNarez

Banned
A philosophy that works best not only for bad books, but for bad creative decisions too. ;)

Nah. Just because the New 52 has been the wettest of wet farts doesn't make Batman or Flash or I, Vampire or any other book you think is good any worse. Just like the fact that that super stupid thing that happened in Spider-Man will not make any book he's involved in that Slott is not writing any worse.

You have absolutely no input whatsoever on how those companies are run. All you can do is support good books by buying them. So, buy good books. That's the resolution you should keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom