• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quake1028

Could someone be so kind and let me know what they think are the must reads from Marvel and DC these days? Open to anything, superhero/regular, team/single, etc. Would be much appreciated.

Acid08

Banned
Could someone be so kind and let me know what they think are the must reads from Marvel and DC these days? Open to anything, superhero/regular, team/single, etc. Would be much appreciated.

Dude, there are more than 20 books that could be recommended to you.

I'll just say Batman by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo because of your avy.

and Aquaman.

Marvel:
Wolverine & The X-Men
Thor: God Of Thunder
Remender's (just ended) Uncanny X-Force run

Gambit, Scarlet Spider, Hawkeye.

The first will get lots of opposition, but if you enjoy sort of a White Collar/Mission Impossible vibe plus some superheroing, it's amazing. Consistently good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Monthly issues of Puck, Mohawk Storm, Spiral, and Bets? Really?

SHIT HOT!

Motherfucking PUCK!!!!!!!!one!!!!!

Dude. You look kinda like Puck. That's pretty awesome.

btw, I think I've asked this before, but is Puck gay? Because I love the idea that he is, it makes the whole character come together for me.

Garryk

If you don't mind sex and violence, Fury MAX and American Vampire are amazing.

Mainstream I like Wonder Woman and Batman from DC, and Daredevil, Hawkeye, and All New X-Men from Marvel.

As someone who's recently gotten back into comics myself, here's a few quick suggestions for currently-running comics that don't really require much previous knowledge of characters or current state of the Marvel/DC universe:

- Daredevil. (Mark Waid) I only recently started catching up on this title (currently on issue 11 of 21 and counting), but it's got a great beginning so far. Waid writes a very charismatic and smart Matt Murdock. It's very character-centric and the villains are on the lower scale (think crime lords as opposed to super villains).

- Hawkeye. (Matt Fraction) Sarcastic humor, and like Daredevil, is more grounded and "every man"-ish. It's more like the everyday life of a normal guy, who also happens to be a superhero. The art by Aja is very unique too. Love the way that guy sets up panels. There's about 6 issues so far.

- Thor: God of Thunder. (Jason Aaron) A freaking epic tale of Thor's life over the ages as it relates to a single, noir-ish murder mystery. Ribic's art certainly accentuates that creepy atmosphere. It's up to issue 4 or 5 now.

- Wonder Woman. (Brian Azzarello) Amazing reinvention of the series. It's not so much about Wonder Woman as it is the pantheon of gods vying for advantage in the modern world. She just happens to be a small piece in it. It has a Constantine-feel to it, with the way gods walk the earth and manipulate humans. Currently 15 or so issues out.

- Gambit. (James Asmus) Honestly, I never had any previous interest in the above characters until the current writers took over the reigns. I've been a Gambit fan since the 90s though, and I'm happy someone is finally giving him some quality attention again, as opposed to writing him as Rogue's lapdog over the last few years. It's a fun, action-packed spy thriller, letting Gambit's mischievous side shine once again. About 5 issues so far.

Wiseblade

I was reading the X-Men thread on the first page and wondering, what is the Ultimate Universe like these days? I really enjoyed it years ago, especially the way it felt more cohesive and focused than the standard Marvel Universe. But then Ultimatum happened, and...

But what is it like now? Is Miles Morales a good Spider-Man?

The X-Men books look like they are going to be the best of Marvel now... yeah I said it.

When have they never been the best of Marvel?

I was reading the X-Men thread on the first page and wondering, what is the Ultimate Universe like these days? I really enjoyed it years ago, especially the way it felt more cohesive and focused than the standard Marvel Universe. But then Ultimatum happened, and...

But what is it like now? Is Miles Morales a good Spider-Man?

Miles Morales is boring as fuck. But Ultimate X-Men right now is really good.

When have they never been the best of Marvel?

iQz8Z.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
God Puck is such a fucking baller. Him on that UXF team is going to be like nerd fantasy to the 10th power.

I can't get over how much doomsaying I was doing over the future of the X-Men books pre-Marvel NOW and now I can't wait to read like every issue of everything ever PLUS all the Avengers and miscellaneous books all my favs are writing. Marvel really fucking fleeced me hard with this shit.

Acid08

Banned
Didn't realize this until yesterday but IDW actually does sell their digital issues cheaper than print, TMNT is only $1.99 an issue instead of $3.99. I'm not going to switch to digital because I've been buying their super high quality floppies but good on 'em for providing them cheaper. As it should be.

Best part of that whole thing was the "death of Wolverine" Skrull fakeout and him showing up later as the new Death and fighting everybody, that incorporated some of what Claremont wanted to do with Logan before he left that first time. Then Apocalypse got his machine working and the plot turned into a ripe turd.

Quake1028

Didn't realize this until yesterday but IDW actually does sell their digital issues cheaper than print, TMNT is only $1.99 an issue instead of $3.99. I'm not going to switch to digital because I've been buying their super high quality floppies but good on 'em for providing them cheaper. As it should be.

Where is this the case?

Gotg recap

Bendis stated the threat of the first arc will be the Spartax empire, which is ruled by Peter Quill's father, stating that the Earth is "the most sexy, dangerous jewel of the galaxy and whoever gets their mitts on it is the winners of all things." The empire will likely try to manipulate the Guardians into helping them take Earth. "When you see what's coming in the second arc creatively and physically as the fallout of 'Age of Ultron' falls directly into 'Guardians of the Galaxy.'"

Bendis said readers will "absolutely" get to see the Guardians on Earth and re-iterated that with Iron Man joining the team, editorial is cementing the Guardians as "the cosmic Avengers team." While they will visit Earth, "they'll be out in space a lot." The writer further cited he would be stealing a page from "Star Trek" and stranding the Guardians on Earth for a little bit. He also confirmed the Guardians would be teaming up with the "All-New X-Men."

he first issue will see the Guardians fully assembled. "We want to show you what they're like as a team," said Bendis. "But we're going to quickly backtrack and see how they got together, why they stay together -- they've been through a lot. When you realize how much of a family they are and they're each other's only family -- a lot of characters don't have anything outside of this team

GOTG/ANXM crossover WUTttttttt

im optomistic, but not fully sold

How many of the The New 52 series have been cancelled?
I forgot about this from yesterday and decided to answer it because I was curious too... Some of these had #0s or Annuals, which is why their publication numbers don't match the number of issues in existence.

Canceled after 8 issues:
Blackhawks - 9,149 copies sold for #8
GI Combat - 8,491 copies sold for #7
Hawk and Dove - 12,132 copies sold for #8
Men of War - 9,722 copies sold for #8
Mister Terrific - 9,776 copies sold for #8
OMAC - 11,328 copies sold for #8
Static Shock - 10,102 copies sold for #8

Canceled after 13 issues:
Captain Atom - 13,934 copies sold for #0
Justice League International - 26,779 copies sold for Annual #1
Resurrection Man - 16,672 copies sold for #0
Voodoo - 14,223 copies sold for #0

Canceled after 17 issues:
Blue Beetle - 11,744 copies sold for #15
Legion Lost - 14,005 copies sold for #15
Grifter - 10,923 copies sold for #15
Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E. - 15,575 copies sold for #15

Canceled after 20 issues:
I, Vampire - 12,846 copies sold for #15
DC Universe Presents -12,561 copies sold for #15

Roughly one-third of the New 52 launch books have already been canned. And looking at the numbers in December, there's a large group of books hovering around that ~15k mark on December's chart: Stormwatch, Demon Knights, Team 7, and Batwing. The lowest-selling of the yet-to-be-canceled of the New 52 is Fury of Firestorm with 11,997 copies sold, then Deathstroke at 13,528 copies sold, then Savage Hawkman at 13,564 copies sold and Sword of Sorcery at 13,752 copies.

"And what about Marvel, huh?" Well going over the past year, and ignoring the books that were "canceled" only to be rebranded and/or relaunched as part of the Marvel NOW! initiative (and there are a TON of those), we're left with the following cancellations without replacement: Alpha Flight, Black Panther, Captain America and [Blank], Daken: Dark Wolverine, Generation Hope, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, New Mutants, The Punisher, Punisher MAX, Thanos Son of Titan (which never made it out of solicits), and X-23.

Fantomex

Best part of that whole thing was the "death of Wolverine" Skrull fakeout and him showing up later as the new Death and fighting everybody, that incorporated some of what Claremont wanted to do with Logan before he left that first time. Then Apocalypse got his machine working and the plot turned into a ripe turd.

Oh snaps son! I remember that arc. I remember Wolvie going to town on the Hulk for not wanting to be a Horseman. I think Larsen wrote that iirc.

Cth

Hawkeye (good done in one issues, great art)
Hulk (new, fun take on the character; Mark Waid)
Thor (Serial killer of gods; story spans past, present and future of Thor)
Avengers (Hickman expanding the roster and telling epic storylines)
New Avengers (Illuminati taking on massive threats; ties into Avengers)

Batman (Snyder; longer storyarcs; well written)
Wonder Woman (Azzarello modernizing mythology)
Justice League Dark (Vertigo lite; team of vertigo heroes; magic)
Animal Man (Lemire)
Swamp Thing (Snyder)

omgkitty

I was wondering if anyone can point me towards a good site for buying comics? None of the stores in my area are close by, and it'd be a lot easier to purchase online.

Garryk

I was wondering if anyone can point me towards a good site for buying comics? None of the stores in my area are close by, and it'd be a lot easier to purchase online.

DCBS. The downside is you have to order your books two months in advance, but you get a 40% discount.

Mycomicshop.com and ebay for backissues. There are a couple of eBay sellers that are really good. HorizonComics and TheCargoHold offer decent discounts and bulk shipping.

Cth

Speaking of ebay..

If you're receptive to digital comics, a lot of issues include a free digital code inside. A lot of people who don't have a device to view them, tend to sell them for $1 or give them away. That's one cheap way to get comics if you're so inclined.

Quake1028

Here is where I am at for a monthly pull. Any other thoughts/adds are appreciated. How do people think Savage Wolverine, Young Avengers and Uncanny X-Force are going to be?

Marvel
Gambit $3
Hawkeye $3
Daredevil $3
Deadpool $3
Thor: God of Thunder $4
Wolverine & The X-Men $4
All New X-Men $4
Superior Spider-Man $4
Young Avengers $4

DC
Wonder Woman $3
Batman $4

Others
Saga $3

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I forgot about this from yesterday and decided to answer it because I was curious too... Some of these had #0s or Annuals, which is why their publication numbers don't match the number of issues in existence.

Cool info. Boy that is just an abysmally low number of copies sold for most of those books. Comics needs a shot in the arm.

frye

Savage Wolverine: Frank Cho doing Frank Cho things (i.e. drawing tits) for a few issues followed fill-ins or massive delays

Young Avengers: gonna own

UXF: cool costumes and cast i guess

e: holy fuck im a real member

omgkitty

Speaking of ebay..

If you're receptive to digital comics, a lot of issues include a free digital code inside. A lot of people who don't have a device to view them, tend to sell them for $1 or give them away. That's one cheap way to get comics if you're so inclined.

DCBS. The downside is you have to order your books two months in advance, but you get a 40% discount.

Mycomicshop.com and ebay for backissues. There are a couple of eBay sellers that are really good. HorizonComics and TheCargoHold offer decent discounts and bulk shipping.

Thanks for this. I'm actually currently only looking for issues of Saga, and it's looking like that me be a lot harder than I imagined. I went to 3 different stores looking for issues 7 and 8, and none of them had it. I'm having a hard time now finding #7 online as well. Figured it'd be easy seeing as they haven't even hit 10 issues yet, but I guess I was wrong.

Cth

Here is where I am at for a monthly pull. Any other thoughts/adds are appreciated. How do people think Savage Wolverine, Young Avengers and Uncanny X-Force are going to be?

Marvel
Gambit $3
Hawkeye $3
Daredevil $3
Deadpool $3
Wolverine & The X-Men $4
All New X-Men $4
Superior Spider-Man $4

DC
Wonder Woman $3
Batman $4

Others
Saga $3

Savage Wolverine will likely end up delayed, so it may be easier to get that in tpb form.

Gambit's sales may end up with it being cancelled in the near future. Hawkeye is in a similar boat but benefits from being written by Fraction (friend of Bendis) and being an Avenger title (not to mention the buzz for it).

Young Avengers looks like it'll be fun, nice art, and Gillen's an excellent writer.

I'm not a big fan of the X-Verse.. Remender's Uncanny X-Force was great, I can't see the new team holding up to that high standard so I'm dropping it. Yeah, unfair I know, but..

Anyways, Saga is a good choice.. almost universal praise for it.

Garryk

I think the new 52 was a good idea but lacked good execution:

ONE MONTH. FIFTY-TWO COMICS.

That's asking a lot. NOW! might end up with more than 52 titles, but they are staggering the releases.

Garryk

Thanks for this. I'm actually currently only looking for issues of Saga, and it's looking like that me be a lot harder than I imagined. I went to 3 different stores looking for issues 7 and 8, and none of them had it. I'm having a hard time now finding #7 online as well. Figured it'd be easy seeing as they haven't even hit 10 issues yet, but I guess I was wrong.

I've had good experiences with this guy, but he puts a premium on some issues after the first week.

Marvel
Gambit $3
Hawkeye $3
Daredevil $3
Deadpool $3
Wolverine & The X-Men $4
All New X-Men $4
Superior Spider-Man $4
Young Avengers $4

DC
Wonder Woman $3
Batman $4

Others
Saga $3

Young Avengers and Uncanny X-Force will be awesome. Eventually, in April, you should also get X-Men #1.

I think the new 52 was a good idea but lacked good execution:

ONE MONTH. FIFTY-TWO COMICS.

That's asking a lot. NOW! might end up with more than 52 titles, but they are staggering the releases.

Not every comic is going to be for everybody. It doesn't matter how you package it, I'm never going to get excited for a Fury of Firestorm comic. On the other side of the just because Thor launched in a different month as a comic I could be bothered to care about isn't going to make me get it, because I still don't like Thor.

Marvel's getting lean and mean, and DC is bleeding out? Sounds about right.

So dramatic.

-

On a positive note, you guys should really be checking out Sword of Sorcery. Such a gorgeous book. Absolutely beautiful artwork and the story has been pretty damn interesting to boot. It doesn't deserve to flounder around 12-13k. Sure, it doesn't help that it's a $3.99, as I don't particularly care about the backup, but I still find it worth the cost of entry.

Christy Marx Birds of Prey / Sword of Sorcery

frye

Not every comic is going to be for everybody. It doesn't matter how you package it, I'm never going to get excited for a Fury of Firestorm comic. On the other side of the just because Thor launched in a different month as a comic I could be bothered to care about isn't going to make me get it, because I still don't like Thor.

Characters I don't care about:

Thor
Hawkeye
Batman
Captain America

Books I am reading:

Thor
Hawkeye
Batman
Captain America

whoa~~

Status