• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Batman #16

Fuck yeah motherfuckers, that issue was great.
Bats taking down three villains in a row was too badass. The people dressed as the rest of the JL was super creepy. Capullo did his thing hard this issue, you could see the pain in the eyes of that flaming horse. I wonder who's face is on that platter...

Saga #9

Another fantastic issue. Some heavy confrontation should be happening soon.
Really interested in seeing more of what Marko can do. Gwendolyn cast that crazy weather spell after saying "This is one my ex showed me..."
There's still so much to learn about the main characters and I'm fully on board. Art was as gorgeous as ever.

Black Beetle #1

Book of the week, no question. It starts fast and never fucking gives in. It gets my coveted Art Of The Week award too, so fucking beautiful and dark. It's the polar opposite of Saga, instead of the slow and deliberate world building(which is fucking great in its own way) it just throws you in like YEAH MOTHERFUCKER HOLD ONTO YOUR DICK OR IT MIGHT GET RIPPED OFF. His whip and helicopter pack are badass as well.

Indestructible Hulk #3

Fun issue, I liked it. Probably the comic I'm closest to dropping though, if I'm honest. It feels small so far and, well, it should be big. Like...Hulk big. I have faith in Waid though. Got a code for this issue too if anyone wants it, first to quote etc.

Fantomex

Batman #16

Bats taking down three villains in a row was too badass. The people dressed as the rest of the JL was super creepy. Capullo did his thing hard this issue, you could see the pain in the eyes of that flaming horse. I wonder who's face is on that platter...

Saga #9

Really interested in seeing more of what Marko can do. Gwendolyn cast that crazy weather spell after saying "This is one my ex showed me..."
There's still so much to learn about the main characters and I'm fully on board. Art was as gorgeous as ever.

Black Beetle #1

Book of the week, no question. It starts fast and never fucking gives in. It gets my coveted Art Of The Week award too, so fucking beautiful and dark. It's the polar opposite of Saga, instead of the slow and deliberate world building(which is fucking great in its own way) it just throws you in like YEAH MOTHERFUCKER HOLD ONTO YOUR DICK OR IT MIGHT GET RIPPED OFF. His whip and helicopter pack are badass as well.

Indestructible Hulk #3

Fun issue, I liked it. Probably the comic I'm closest to dropping though, if I'm honest. It feels small so far and, well, it should be big. Like...Hulk big. I have faith in Waid though. Got a code for this issue too if anyone wants it, first to quote etc.

So I think what you're saying is you liked Batman?

x-factor 250 was really satisfying if you have been reading the series for a while. so many plot points converge here

this arc is going to be amazing.

frye

Yeah, Batman ruled. I usually have some problems with the book but that was just a straight up sweet comic. Capullo forever.

FUCK HORSES

Fantomex

Nah it's cool, I'm going to do the weekly swap with a friend of mine tomorrow. He's giving me Cap and Daredevil. How is Cap this week?

Cap is amazing this week. Good in all aspects. But the action and backstory move so well it seems you finish the book in 5 mins :(

C-Jo

Saga & The Black Beetle were both great this week.

Batman was good, but the cliffhangers are such that I find it frustrating to read on a month to month basis.

Acid08

Banned
Saga & The Black Beetle were both great this week.

Batman was good, but the cliffhangers are such that I find it frustrating to read on a month to month basis.

There's no way to win. If you trade wait you're still waiting for the fucking Court of Owls to finish.

Batman #16

Saga #9

Black Beetle #1

Indestructible Hulk #3

I want the hulk code :) please .

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
huh why not. its bascially that ultimate spiderman and his amazing friends arc made into a tv show

It vaguely has a universe that provides a what if scenario for the Ultimate universe right before Peter died, but other than that the tone, the supporting characters, the villains, Peter's behavior are all totally different. I'm not anal about little things not matching up across media, it's fine for everyone to do their own thing, but here the Ultimate in the name has about as much influence as it does in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Vyer

Reading Batman 16 and Captain America 3 right after, might as well have had Human Centipede on in the background.

Good stuff though. Are any of the other Death of the Family tie ins worth picking up?

I'm enjoying New X-Men way more than I expected to. Not really a big X Men guy, outside Morrison's run.

And while I agree Saga has been in the building stage for a while, I just can't bring myself to mind. I like the read too much, and that's most important to me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Reading Batman 16 and Captain America 3 right after, might as well have had Human Centipede on in the background.

Good stuff though. Are any of the other Death of the Family tie ins worth picking up?

I'm enjoying New X-Men way more than I expected to. Not really a big X Men guy, outside Morrison's run.

And while I agree Saga has been in the building stage for a while, I just can't bring myself to mind. I like the read too much, and that's most important to me.

Batgirl seems to be the craziest, heck this issue was just as dark as Batman if not a little more.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hey guys, what happened in the past 4 pages? Cos I can't read that fast and you guys talk a lot. If it was x-men stuff talking about what Cyke would want for dinner or something tell me so I can skip it.

Crap week for me, volume-wise. Batman and All-New X-Men. Slowest week for months.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Is 'Red Hood and the Outlaws' any good?
Vol'1 is $8 at B&N

It's written by Scott Lobdell, so the correct word to describe it is 'mediocre'. Not terrible, not good either. It just is. Bonus points if you like Starfire boobs and don't know why anyone would object to them.

Batman #16

Saga #9

Black Beetle #1

Indestructible Hulk #3

I see no lies.

Finally I'm proud of ComicGAF with the Black Beetle lovin.

Is 'Red Hood and the Outlaws' any good?
Vol'1 is $8 at B&N

Surprisingly, it's one of my fave New DC books. Lobdell established some really cool new bits of mythology there. And it's gorgeous. Rocafort draws how I want my dreams to look.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There's a fun interview with Snyder out about the current story arc in Batman. It features a few inked but uncolored pages. Shit gets real, going from the pages. There was also this little exchange, apparently Snyder and Slott have been joking about ASM700 and Batman 17:

The last time we had a story involving the phrase "Death _____ The Family," the character who died was determined by the fans. They only had themselves to be upset with. This one, however, is all on you. Once issue #17 is out, are you going to be unplugging your phone?

No. I was actually joking on the phone with Dan Slott after "Spider-Man" #700. I was telling him how I felt so bad because it sounded like things got crazy for him, and he said, "Wait until you get to 'Batman' #17! You'll have the same." So honestly, maybe I will go be in a bunker somewhere the day that issue comes out. But I believe in the ending very strongly. I believe in the story beat we're headed towards.

Be warned, the pages Capullo provided for the interview are action-y but also seem to spoiler something a little bit, so click on them at your own peril.

tim1138

Surprisingly, it's one of my fave New DC books. Lobdell established some really cool new bits of mythology there. And it's gorgeous. Rocafort draws how I want my dreams to look.

Grabbed that from the library the other day, Rocafort blows my mind in that book. For not really caring about any of the characters, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the first trade.

Grabbed that from the library the other day, Rocafort blows my mind in that book. For not really caring about any of the characters, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the first trade.

It's honestly the book I wish more people had given a chance. But after the Starfire thing, and Lobdell's name attached I gave up in short order mentioning it.

Maybe with the trade it will get its due exposure.

tim1138

It's honestly the book I wish more people had given a chance. But after the Starfire thing, and Lobdell's name attached I gave up in short order mentioning it.

I forgot all about the Starfire thing actually. I had no issue with how she was written.

I plan on adding it to my list when Tynion takes over, his plans for the book sound fun.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Seriously, the starfire thing didn't bother me at all, and the book had some good ideas. But it executed on them terribly (Jason vs the creepy sexy assassin could have been awesome, but that issue was let down by the awful subplot with the mutant guy hunting Kori). The book was a little prone to monologuing and the most interesting bit - the characters, were kinda skipped over in favour of some very 90s villains.

KR's art is pretty good though, that's a given. But the story is a cavalcade of missed opportunities imo.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
ANXM 6 was the best yet. For being such a no brainer scene, Cyke in the bodega was a total hoot.

I really wish Bendis would quit it with his unnecessary 2-page spreads though.

ed: Oh yeah, Marquez was a stellar fill in artist for Immonen. He's really good at portraying age in character faces, which is something shitty artists struggle with.

Seriously, the starfire thing didn't bother me at all, and the book had some good ideas. But it executed on them terribly (Jason vs the creepy sexy assassin could have been awesome, but that issue was let down by the awful subplot with the mutant guy hunting Kori). The book was a little prone to monologuing and the most interesting bit - the characters, were kinda skipped over in favour of some very 90s villains.

KR's art is pretty good though, that's a given. But the story is a cavalcade of missed opportunities imo.

Wow I didn't think it was handled terribly at all. Quite the opposite as it was on top of my read pile every week it hit. And I definitely don't get the whole 90s thing that is somewhat overused. They were comics bad guys. Nothing more or less.

And yeah the Starfire thing was way overblown, and Lobdell showed her as far far more than eye candy.

The interplay between the three, the new bits of DCU mythology, and the awesome space opera story have my heart.

V_Arnold

Logan is a huge fucking hypocrite anyway.
He should be popping his claws at himself after having experienced the Age of Apocalypse Logan, right?

Because if one is free to rage at someone for things that he did not do, but in the future, might/had done so, well... go ahead, Logan.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Ok just read Black Beetle 0 and 1. Just like I feared the actual writing is kinda clunky. But 1. it's old school pulp, so clunky writing doesn't detract from it really, and 2. Francavilla's art is ridiculous. Blasted through both issues in like 10 minutes and for yuks I went back and tried reading it just by following the art and it's totally doable. This is some god tier sequential storytelling.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
He should be popping his claws at himself after having experienced the Age of Apocalypse Logan, right?

Because if one is free to rage at someone for things that he did not do, but in the future, might/had done so, well... go ahead, Logan.
And even past Jean is treating past Scott like shit now. I'm actually looking forward to what
Mystique plans to do with him
next issue, she'll probably treat him better than everyone else has so far.

On the other hand the Warrens meeting was cute, people were worried about how it would go down but everything went better than expected, haha. Really liked the panels with Kitty helping Jean too.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

its amazing how the xmen never learn not to fuck with time, because it never ends well. what the hell was hank thinking? what happens if someone kills scott or like a lot of us assume, he becomes corrupted? the very thing you might be trying to prevent you could be responsible for happening.

Quake1028

I have a ton of great sounding stuff to go through this weekend:

Thor: God of Thunder #1-4
Amazing Spider-Man #682-687 (Ends of the Earth)
Superior Spider-Man #1
Gambit #1-7
Hawkeye #1-6

Will most likely read through Thor tonight. Cannot wait.

JJD

You just can't take Bendis Wolverine seriously. Passing a vote on killing young Cyclops?? Really Bendis?

Fantomex

On New Avengers (Illuminati) I must admit, I got lost a couple of times with the artwork. I don't know if it's because of the dark tones, or the way Epting broke down the panels. But it's the first comic in a while where I had to figure out what panel I was supposed to be looking at next. It is still a great book, but I guess it had a lot going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom