• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Wow I didn't think it was handled terribly at all. Quite the opposite as it was on top of my read pile every week it hit. And I definitely don't get the whole 90s thing that is somewhat overused. They were comics bad guys. Nothing more or less.

And yeah the Starfire thing was way overblown, and Lobdell showed her as far far more than eye candy.

The interplay between the three, the new bits of DCU mythology, and the awesome space opera story have my heart.

Yeah I liked the interplay between the leads a lot. I think I just don't like traditional comic book muscley monsters, they're usually very one-note and dumb. The best stories are about people and the conflicts that arise between personalities. A big dude that can punch hard isn't really compelling, and that monster guy who had a spaceship give him stupid monster powers so he became xenophobic was just... wut.

I like my baddies machiavellian or really nasty or weird or just being interesting characters. Like James Gordon in the Black Mirror, terrifying baddie. Doctor Hurt. Sinestro. Lex Luthor (when he's done right). Or even Darkseid - Darkseid isn't just made out of rock, he's hopelessness personified, that's awesome.

I thought the assassin people were a good idea and I would have liked a bit more in that direction. Maybe that storyline got better but I was off the book by then. For me OK isn't good enough.

Anyway, diff'rent strokes I guess :)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
One more issue tacked on at the end isn't going to fix everything that came before it.

Or, knowing Morrison, maybe it will. :lol

I've liked the run a lot up until the last issue where he put the pedal to the metal. You could really feel him trying to wrap it up before he left.

1358444307.jpg

I'm betting it's Emma since in yesterdays All New X-Men:
She was being mentally called by someone in the JGS

EDIT: Also, ugly ass costumes all around. Wtf.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Superior Spider-Man #2 Preview
Ghost Peter freaking out is going to become a regular thing

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Oh this is getting good. It's going sort of how I figured except better than I could imagine. It's crazy-town banana-pants!

The ghost is the stupidest part of this whole thing. :\

It's a reader insert, he's just saying what we're thinking.

EDIT:
My money is on Otto planning out a few of these crimes himself to make him look good.
I wouldn't put it past him.

Ephidel

random Q: I did a quick seacrh and found that Viz has an iPad app. Do you guys know any other manga distributors that have an app? Even in other countries?
To go back to this question, Yen Press also have an app where you can purchase volumes, but I'm not sure which stuff they actually have up on it.
Dark Horse's app should have some of their manga on it too (the old announcement was here and I assume this would be their more up to date manga list and this would be their manhwa list - they seem to have have a couple of manhwa buddles mistagged as manwha too that don't seem to show up under the regular listing.)
It looks like Tokyopop might have one specifically for Hetalia (although it might just be a preview, as it mentions other issues being on comixology?).
And having mentioned comixology, there's other manga available on there too.
And erm, NEXTmanga has one if you really want to read Manga Messiah, unlikely though that may be.

It's Bachalo's shit designs, I think. Emma is wearing that re-used Lady Mastermind/AoA Dazzler costume.

But tbh, I like Cyke's costume except for that fuckin mask. It looks so goofy. Please, just put on a damn visor. You look like something out of a futuristic sex dungeon.

Acid08

Banned
I suppose, but it just seems like a way to keep a snarky tone even without the main snark generator around. I think a new book would be good time to set a new tone for this Spidermang.

Dude, Ock is super snarky but in a different way. He's snarky by undermining everyone whereas Peter was snarky in an almost endearing way. It's a way to keep the reader connected and I'm okay with it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
my favorite panel from yesterdays comics

so creepy, capullo naled it

Capullo nailed that whole issue. So good, I just keep going back and reading it. Sometimes just to look at the creepy art.

How comes Carly isn't telling everyone that Spider-Man is Doc Ock in disguise? Thats what I would do

She doesn't know for sure. She thought Peter/Ock was full of shit at the time. Carly will be a big part of fixing it though.

Acid08

Banned
tumblr_mgsdfgDE7o1qj97xmo2_1280.jpg

Heh, new phone background. Image is trying to get a Lying Cat meme(ugh) started.

Capullo nailed that whole issue. So good, I just keep going back and reading it. Sometimes just to look at the creepy art.

The horse on fire was just fucking ridiculous. Those eyes...

notworksafe

Honestly mang, what would you have preferred?

No ghost, let Doc be his crazy self and see what happens. Instead they'll have the permanent backup plan hanging around for the next year or so, commenting on everything until they bring back the status quo.

Give Spiderdoc some room to breathe.

Acrylic7

It's honestly the book I wish more people had given a chance. But after the Starfire thing, and Lobdell's name attached I gave up in short order mentioning it.

Maybe with the trade it will get its due exposure.

Thanks
since its so cheap I'm going to give it a shot.

Acid08

Banned
No ghost, let Doc be his crazy self and see what happens. Instead they'll have the permanent backup plan hanging around for the next year or so, commenting on everything until they bring back the status quo.

Give Spiderdoc some room to breathe.

Ock is still going to be his crazy self. Read Avenging this week, he's pretty much fully under control.

Ya'll are jumping to a crazy amount of conclusions when we have seen one issue of this series so far.

zargle

I can deal with Cykes costume, but fire whoever made and approved Magneto's costume. It's awful.

They all pretty much look like AoA costumes, even down to the tiny field of vision that Magneto has that is clearly going to be a liability in combat situations. Or turning corners.

notworksafe

Ock is still going to be his crazy self. Read Avenging this week, he's pretty much fully under control.

Ya'll are jumping to a crazy amount of conclusions when we have seen one issue of this series so far.

Here's hoping for a Spidermang/Ghostbusters crossover. Someone get IDW on the phone!

I got a bunch of Marvel books from the library:

Wolverine & The X-Men vol. 1 by Jason Aaron
X-Men by Gisher (its the one where some terrorist detonates a bomb and jubilee turns into a vampire I think)
Uncanny X-Men by Keiron Gillen
Avenging Spider-Man

Any of these good?

Just read Avenging # 16.

Guys, seriously? A plot involving Jackal doing some genetic engineering? What the hell, didn't the 90's ever end in Spider-Man-comics? :D

I got a bunch of Marvel books from the library:

Wolverine & The X-Men vol. 1 by Jason Aaron
X-Men by Gisher (its the one where some terrorist detonates a bomb and jubilee turns into a vampire I think)
Uncanny X-Men by Keiron Gillen
Avenging Spider-Man

Any of these good?

These 2 are some of my favourite recent comics! X-Men by Gischler is quite bad, but I haven't read Avenging Spider-Man.

Maybe the endgame for this Superior storyline is a "battle for the cowl" type story that will have Miguel, Ben Reiley, Kane and Doc Ock all battling to be the real Spider-Man.

snorggy

late to the party here as I'm still a few issues behind on Amazing Spider-Man... but am I to understand that Superior Spider-man is the new flagship spidey book?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Lets see where it goes. If it ends in clones again then we'll rage.

Uh-oh. What if this Superior storyline ends with
ghost Peter entering the body of a clone that won't die out like Ben Reilly did and something happens to his original body, causing Otto-Peter to require the use of Ock Arms or a suit with arms or something like that again?
:/

And why does that seem very familiar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom