• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
unknown.jpeg
So good

akira28

And what the fuck? Is Captain America pulling a Batman? "You can enter my mind, but you won't like what you find." Lol, what?

remember he spent multiple eternities trapped in time, trying to fight his way back to the present?

how he went "sorta crazy", etc? I always thought that would be forshadowing something else, but I guess he has dealt with his psychological trauma

Acid08

Banned
Oh man Black Beetle art. I don't think I properly conveyed how excited I am for Francavilla to be doing Hawkguy. I mean holy fuck.

She's gone, Satch. She's gone to the same dark place as Wally West, Stephanie Brown, Ted Kord, Atlee, Lian Harper, Waller's rolls of fat, Harley's self-respect and my favorite ship, and like them she isn't coming back.

And even if she does come back, it's still the New 52; they'll make her, I dunno, Ares's rape baby or something.

Be glad for her, for she is safe and in good company.

Don't forget the True Billy Batson and Plastic Man.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I realize why I like the black beetles design. It reminds me of the 70s character skull man

akira28

So this must be Deaths Head after all that craziness in the Transformers universe, because I don't remember him being 30 feet tall when I used to read about him and Dragons Claws, growing up.

Keasar

There, have read all Fear Agent volumes available on the Dark Horse app and waiting for the next one and I am 33 issues into Invincible. Gonna wait and see if the 100th issue release on Comixology brings a sale like The Walking Dead did.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Bought and read through Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe since it's on sale at Comixology. I kinda regret buying it now, comic full of cop-outs and off-screen kills. Feels like 5 pages on killing off no-brainers like Banner and Susan Storm, while Doom, Cap and Iron Man just suddenly lay around dead in the background.
The story itself is trashy as expected though, but severely lacking on the needed jokes.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just read Thanos Quest, which I think might have technically been my first cosmic Marvel ever. It was pretty silly but I guess it was kind of fun. The tear shed on the final page made me laugh.

Infinity Gauntlet soon.

From what I have gathered reading stuff in this thread, Marvel isn't nearly as much of a piece of shit as DC is when it comes to editorial.

DC Editorial is just a hot mess right now.

Tangent:

I legitimately feel bad for Emma despite her somewhat questionable actions during the whole Phoenix Five thing, I mean I think it's clear Emma more than anyone else in that group loves kids and just wants to teach. Unfortunately this chick just makes horrible decisions (most of them she does to protect children). And unfortunately she hasn't been able to shed her more manipulative and guarded nature. I guess that's to be expect after what's she's gone through growing up. She's one of my more favorite characters in comic books as a result.

Emma has had a nice arc the past decade. I feel like she would fit right in at the Jean Grey School if it wasn't for Scott.

Wolverine used to have the poison touch too. He still can't maintain a relationship for shit. And it seems all the ex lovers of his that are still alive want him dead for the most part. Actually he still has the poison touch. Its just that kitty and jubes are immune

I think it's just Wolverine's characterization lends himself very well to the mentor role.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think he means that one time Wolverine was watching Cyclops and Emma sleeping in the first Astonishing X-Men. It was more Logan being pissed off then him being a perv.

Yeah, this is what i was rant...talking about. If you stand on somebody's bed post and just stare at them in the middle of the night, you're perv. I don't care how mad you are....heh.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I got wrist surgery yesterday and since I can't play games (or do much of anything really) I've been spending all day yesterday and today catching up on the comics that have come out since I dropped the hobby back in July of last year. Been working through the DC library and I'm going through the #0 issues now. Is it just me or do most of these suck? There were a few good ones though, like Green Lantern and Wonder Woman. I also much preferred Romano Molenaar on Birds of Prey #0; his art fits the book much more than Travel Foreman's did after they switched Jesus Saiz off. Is Molenaar the new permanent artist on this book?

Also are there any new titles that came out in the second half of last year that I should look out for? I remember picking up Captain Marvel #1 and being floored by the art/coloring. Has it held up well? And how has Marvel Now turned out? Are Winter Soldier and Daredevil still the cat's pyjamas?

Sorry for all the questions but I feel like a ton of stuff has passed me by and I'm trying to get my bearings again.

kswiston

Also are there any new titles that came out in the second half of last year that I should look out for? I remember picking up Captain Marvel #1 and being floored by the art/coloring. Has it held up well? And how has Marvel Now turned out? Are Winter Soldier and Daredevil still the cat's pyjamas?

Daredevil is still good. You'll probably also get about 5 recommendations for Hawkeye, which was one of better surprises of late 2012.

The best Marvel Now! book so far is Thor by Jason Aaron. Runners up for me are Captain America by Rick Remender and New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman. Some people in this thread have been complaining about the slow starts in the Hickman Avengers books though (which is a fair criticism. Hickman is doing a lot of setup).

All-New X-Men is also surprisingly good. It ships like 8 times a month though if you are on a budget.

frye

I got wrist surgery yesterday and since I can't play games (or do much of anything really) I've been spending all day yesterday and today catching up on the comics that have come out since I dropped the hobby back in July of last year. Been working through the DC library and I'm going through the #0 issues now. Is it just me or do most of these suck? There were a few good ones though, like Green Lantern and Wonder Woman. I also much preferred Romano Molenaar on Birds of Prey #0; his art fits the book much more than Travel Foreman's did after they switched Jesus Saiz off. Is Molenaar the new permanent artist on this book?

Sorry for all the questions but I feel like a ton of stuff has passed me by and I'm trying to get my bearings again.

Winter Soldier is still the bee's knees. Brubaker and Guice's next issue (14?) is gonna be the last one they're on tho. New writer/artist team coming but it's probably not gonna be as good.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Daredevil is still good. You'll probably also get about 5 recommendations for Hawkeye, which was one of better surprises of late 2012.

The best Marvel Now! book so far is Thor by Jason Aaron. Runners up for me are Captain America by Rick Remender and New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman. Some people in this thread have been complaining about the slow starts in the Hickman Avengers books though (which is a fair criticism. Hickman is doing a lot of setup).

All-New X-Men is also surprisingly good. It ships like 8 times a month though if you are on a budget.

Oh cool, I'll give Hawkeye a shot (heh, pun). I'll check out those Now books you recommend as well. Is Secret Avengers still ongoing? Does it still have Breitweiser as the colorist? I love her work.

Winter Soldier is still the bee's knees. Brubaker and Guice's next issue (14?) is gonna be the last one they're on tho. New writer/artist team coming but it's probably not gonna be as good.

Nooooo that sucks! I loved Brubaker/Guice on that. Where are they moving to?

Brubaker isn't doing superhero books anymore, from what I hear. Guice is drawing an issue of Thor: God of Thunder before Ribic does the next story arc

frye

Brubaker isn't doing superhero books anymore, from what I hear. Guice is drawing an issue of Thor: God of Thunder before Ribic does the next story arc

Yeah, Bru is done with Marvel for the time being.

Does it still have Breitweiser as the colorist? I love her work.

I don't think so. She left when Hardman left. Really like her work too but she's only doing Winter Soldier right now and I'm not even sure if she's staying on the book after Guice leaves. She's gonna start working on Fatale with Brubaker and Phillips soon (taking over Dave Stewart) which should be interesting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

There's a lot of great stuff in MarvelNOW. Captain Marvel recently got a new artist, not as good, but it's not Greg Land either.

There's a lot of great stuff in MarvelNOW. Captain Marvel recently got a new artist, not as good, but it's not Greg Land either.
This new guy just can't draw faces. The facial features look like they are being sucked through a black hole at the chin. Dino's looked cool though.

Not sure if posted but Marvel solicts are out:

Age of Ultron 4:

The impossible has happened!
The Earth has been taken by Ultron...what few super hero survivors there are try desperately to stay alive.
And it is Luke Cage who discovers the secret behind Ultron’s victory over all of mankind.
A secret that will have fans of Marvel comics arguing for years to come!

5:

The super hero survivors of the Ultron devastation follow a trail to the Savage Land in the hopes of finding a way to survive or turn the tide of the Ultron apocalypse.
But with half the Marvel heroes dead, what chance do any of the survivors have?
The choice that will forever change the course of Marvel history...!

6:

The heroes take the fight to Ultron...with a near-broken Captain America taking the lead!
Meanwhile, Wolverine takes it upon himself to make one of the most controversial decisions in the history of Marvel comics...
...and you’ll never believe who goes along with him!

Ultron 1AU:
Ultron took over the world.
Ultron killed the heroes.
Ultron...is your father.
When you’re Victor Mancha, android teen Runaway, “daddy issues” doesn’t quite cover it

Wolvie and the xmen 27:
An AGE OF ULTRON tie-in (make sure you read #6 first!)
Wolverine and the Invisible Woman find themselves in the Avengers’ past!

wolvxmenau2011027_cov_col_02.jpg

ageultron2013006_pacheco_variant_cov_02.jpg

ultronau2013001_cov_02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom