• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

the chris

Everybody likes The Will, but Lying Cat is secretly the best character

5p6Ek.jpg

Hawkguy

Neo Member
What's up comic gaf! First time poster, long time lurker here! You guys have been helping me find new books I probably wouldn't of picked up (Saga!!!!!) for about six months or so now. My lurking was getting a little out of hand so I decided to bite the bullet and register. I'm super excited my account was activated as quickly as it was, and can't wait to post here and contribute to this awesome community!!

Lying cat is a pretty cool guy too.

Acid08

Banned
What's up comic gaf! First time poster, long time lurker here! You guys have been helping me find new books I probably wouldn't of picked up (Saga!!!!!) for about six months or so now. My lurking was getting a little out of hand so I decided to bite the bullet and register. I'm super excited my account was activated as quickly as it was, and can't wait to post here and contribute to this awesome community!!

avy/username combo sogood.gif

Welcome dude! Fuck Greg Land!

Fantomex

Welcome! Cool avatar, oh and buy black beetle!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
black beetle is pretty solid stuff

you'll do just fine here, buddy

True~
Though TBH, I'm a little confused about The Will's true character; I get he's a hired hand assassin, and I appreciate him saving the little girl, but even then...I still feel like there's more to his character than what we're seeing.

Also when is Batman 17 coming out so this whole Joker thing ends, cuz its been not-so-mind-blowing for me. Snyder's Detective Comics run featuring Gordon's son was much better IMO.

There's a lot of The Will we don't get - I think his memories of The Stalk are the first of many things we'll see that humanize and flesh him out.

also, i'm with you on snyders batman. it's not bad but it's nowhere near as good as his DC run.

Tizoc

Everybody likes The Will, but Lying Cat is secretly the best character

True~
Though TBH, I'm a little confused about The Will's true character; I get he's a hired hand assassin, and I appreciate him saving the little girl, but even then...I still feel like there's more to his character than what we're seeing.

Also when is Batman 17 coming out so this whole Joker thing ends, cuz its been not-so-mind-blowing for me. Snyder's Detective Comics run featuring Gordon's son was much better IMO.

Welcome Hawkbro.

BJK

Not sure if posted but Marvel solicts are out:

Age of Ultron 4:

The impossible has happened!
The Earth has been taken by Ultron...what few super hero survivors there are try desperately to stay alive.
And it is Luke Cage who discovers the secret behind Ultron’s victory over all of mankind.
A secret that will have fans of Marvel comics arguing for years to come!

Of course there's a Luke Cage angle to the story!

I swear, if you had told me that was a parody of a Bendis solicit, I would have believed you. He must have other plans for Iron Fist, Dr. Strange, and Spider-Woman.

Acid08

Banned
Sucks that there isn't an Iron Fist ongoing right now, I don't think he has even appeared in any Now! stuff. Although I don't know what could top IIF.

Owzers

I thought about reading The Black Beetle when it's printed in a tpb. Am I a horrible person? :(

Only 20% horrible. I don't like the disappointment people sometimes show towards those that would rather buy a book in trade format. The arguments against trade waiting tend to derive in guilt tripping consumers to buy something in a format they don't want so that the book sells well enough so that it gets printed in a format they do want.

Comics O____O

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hi folks. Just started getting into comics again after a long period of not getting anything, for various reasons. I've never really read the traditional ongoing superhero comics, so I was wondering if people had any suggestions for great comics I can jump in on, or that have started recently and are worth checking out. Previously I read a lot of stuff along the lines of Fables, Invincible, Sandman, BPRD & Hellboy, Preacher, The Unwritten, Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina if that helps. I just don't really know where to jump in with Marvel/DC stuff mostly, although I wouldn't necessarily be against that sort of thing.

I've seen Saga mentioned here so I'm going to check that out, as I like Brian K Vaughn's stuff a lot, and I'll probably try and pick The Unwritten and Fables back up again, but anything else that'd be good for a fresh start would be appreciated.

Acid08

Banned
Hi folks. Just started getting into comics again after a long period of not getting anything, for various reasons. I've never really read the traditional ongoing superhero comics, so I was wondering if people had any suggestions for great comics I can jump in on, or that have started recently and are worth checking out. Previously I read a lot of stuff along the lines of Fables, Invincible, Sandman, BPRD & Hellboy, Preacher, The Unwritten, Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina if that helps. I just don't really know where to jump in with Marvel/DC stuff mostly, although I wouldn't necessarily be against that sort of thing.

I've seen Saga mentioned here so I'm going to check that out, as I like Brian K Vaughn's stuff a lot, and I'll probably try and pick The Unwritten and Fables back up again, but anything else that'd be good for a fresh start would be appreciated.
Hawkeye
Black Beetle
Aquaman
Batman

Acid08

Banned
Only 20% horrible. I don't like the disappointment people sometimes show towards those that would rather buy a book in trade format. The arguments against trade waiting tend to derive in guilt tripping consumers to buy something in a format they don't want so that the book sells well enough so that it gets printed in a format they do want.

Comics O____O
Well Black Beetle is never going to sell tons of copies and trades are usually in the plan from the beginning right? I bet he'll be fine even if he's totally dumb for not reading it right now ;P

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So you guys reckon I should buy Saga, eh?

chea mayne

If you already read Fables until the end of the first big "arc" (i think issue 75 or the 10th trade) you should just stop. It's a nice end to the series.

The only cape book I would recommend is Hawkeye. It really makes all other cape books redundant in that they are not as good.

Speaking non-Cape comics:
WHERE'S MY NEW ISSUE OF ORC STAIN?!?!!?!?!?!?!

and where's my deluxe Sullivan's Sluggers hardcover?!

These are standalone Graphic Novels I would recommend:
Blankets by Craig Thompson
Pride of Baghdad by Brian K Vaughn
We3 by Grant Morrison
Joe the Barbarian by Grant Morrison
I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly

I'll recommend more if you have a preference.

solid list

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

First off, read American Vampire if you haven't yet. That's an easy recommendation to anybody.

New 52 has a lot of books with easy jumping on points that don't follow a lot of heavy continuity. They sort of bridge the gap between Vertigo stuff you like and a regular, ongoing, superhero book.

Demon Knights: Etrigan and his not-so-merry band of misfits in the medieval times of Camelot. Swords and sorcery. Dinosaurs. Great book

Swamp Thing & Animal Man: Snyder and and Lemire's tagteam horror books. Have been consistently great since they started.

Wonder Woman: Much to the chagrin of some it has less to do with Diana herself and more to do with her fucked up family. It's like a Greek mythology soap opera full of demigods and double crossing.

akira28

The first Unknown Soldier mini was pretty depressing. Not the reboot, but the Vertigo one with agent Screwball, female fuckup psycho assassin for hire.

reboot is pretty depressing too. KONY2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom