• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgkitty

Welcome to your new favorite comic. BPRD is really the only comic I know (aside from the brilliant indie COPRA) where anything can happen. I don't want to spoil anything, but there are no limits to how bad things can get. And it's done while retaining the same pulpy, entertaining tone, without wallowing in the kind of grim theatrics someone like Kirkman can never seem to resist.

Amazing stuff, month in and month out. The only drag is that
a) Dark Horse's digital initiative is garbage
b) Their regular trades are expensive

This makes their omnibuses (which do come out regularly, thankfully) your best bet collectionwise. But this means you either buy it monthly in print, or you wait for months and months. There's no in between.

Yeah I've noticed he has no problem just killing people off in Hellboy. I've found that if I buy from Amazon, they're a lot cheaper. The trades that were normally $18 are $12 and the omnibus was only $30 instead of the normal $50. It also doesn't help that there are no comic book stores near me, so I'm kind of forced to wait for things. It's killing me waiting for the 2nd Saga trade.

Yeah I've noticed he has no problem just killing people off in Hellboy. I've found that if I buy from Amazon, they're a lot cheaper. The trades that were normally $18 are $12 and the omnibus was only $30 instead of the normal $50. It also doesn't help that there are no comic book stores near me, so I'm kind of forced to wait for things. It's killing me waiting for the 2nd Saga trade.

Ah, yeah. With Amazonk that takes the sting off. You should be fine reading BPRD in trades then. They turn them around real quick and, trust me, you're going to want to dive into BPRD Hell On Earth the second Plague Of Frogs ends.

(BPRD is basically split in two halves. The first like 60-70 issues are all one big story, Plague Of Frogs. Then the book changes its title, BPRD: Hell On Earth, and that's what it is today which is again, one big crazy story.)

Fantomex

hes already 1-0.

That was all of the Black Panther spirits that have ever existed. T'challa busted a Mulan in order to win. Panther is getting stanned so hard by Marvel that at this point I expect him to kill Jesus, chokeslam the Living Tribunal and pimp slap Galactus any day now. I hope they release his movie soon so it can bomb and he can go back to being the "cool character that needs a push" he's always been [/troll]

Rich Johnston has another highly intriguing piece about the current state of DC editorial vs. DC creators:

More at the link, including more on the Jim Zub firing and a comparison to Marvel.

I actually just finished up reading this guy:

51wO3P8NmUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Was a good book, and really interesting getting into seeing how dang many behind the scenes battles went on between executives, editors, writers, and artists. At times it seems a miracle that they were able to even release books period with all the infighting, bickering, and egos.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Has the lastesr edition of Didio circus comics posted yet

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/18/chaos-and-order-at-dc-comics/

That that lines up with what I've been thinking and saying about DC for a while. Even the list of the books there that feel like they're the work of writers and not editors (Action Comics, Batman, Batwoman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Animal Man, Green Lantern, All Star Western, Aquaman, Swamp Thing) are the ones that I've managed to stick with. All of the editorially driven smaller books are barely worth reading because you never know who is going to be creating them much less what is going to be happening in them from one month to the next.

Sblargh

Banned
From what I have gathered reading stuff in this thread, Marvel isn't nearly as much of a piece of shit as DC is when it comes to editorial.

From what I got from the aforementioned "Untold Story"; Marvel is more clueless than tyranic, and so would go from "EVERYTHING GOES! GET THE DUCK TO TALK ABOUT POLITICS" to "OH SHIT! EVERYTHING IS FAILLING! NOBODY HAS BEARDS ANYMORE! BEARDS ARE FORBIDDEN!"

Right this minute, Marvel seems to be in a kind of creator-driven enviroment that, thanks to Disney, has confidence that will exist in the next 5 years, so it is gearing for the long run, with a writer expected to be on the book until he is done with his megalomaniacal vision for these characters. As of DC, I have no idea what is going on, seems like "NOBODY HAS BEARDS ANYMORE" kind of panic going on. Editorial shouldn't be like this unless shit has already hit the fan and you're doing damage control.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Gambit was swallowing hobo loads while Longshot was giving Dazzler a creampie. Step, son.

im not sure about the hobo loads, but good for longshot. hopefully a sinkhole could grab both him and dazzler and send their asses back to the 80s where they can hopefully fade into obsurity. again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom