• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

I just finished Umbrella Academy: Apocolypse Suite and Thief of Thieves (1-7) based on recommendations here, both were OK, nothing great, didn't get into it the same way I did Locke and Key.

Acid08

Banned
sandman-Dolls-House-new-edition-Neil-Gaiman.jpg

Picked this up today, definitely on board with this book in a big, bad way.

Probably after Godzilla: Half Century War

This post made me cry.

Venom sure did get terrible after Remender left.

You mean the first arc starring the MONSTERS OF EVIL! guh

akira28

People should just make comics for art's sake, instead of getting so caught up on sales. Maybe that's something the digital revolution could work out, to get rid of the economic factor as the sole drive to push stuff out there.

arkon

Unless the creators have some other revenue stream, then I don't think that is likely to happen. Or if it is, it's not going to be their sole focus like Web comics.

Owzers

I stopped pre-ordering Demon Knights until i get 16 and 17 delivered and read, finished #15 now and the conclusion to Cornell's run, it ran its course for me and i don't think i really want anymore unless the next two issues are amazing.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Finally caught up to the latest week of DC comics (I've been going through the past six months of issues that I've missed), and damn Snyder is still killing it on Batman and Swamp Thing, huh? That last Bats issue was stellar. From this thread it looks like I need to pick up Saga as well.

This came out last month but I thought I'd try reading the first issue anyway as the cover was quite eye-catching.

Change #1

It's another Cthulhu comic, except instead of fusing the mythos with noir like Fatale this is... I'm not sure, really. Maybe it's fused with a stereotypical "doesn't Hollywood suck you dry" type story, but that doesn't explain the astronaut.

(nothing really explains the astronaut at present, the dialogue is so cryptic)

The story appears to be following three characters - the screenwriter on the left of the cover, the rap artist/producer in the middle, and the astronaut - with some kind of creepy prophecy and hooded cultists involved, and something creepy lurking under the ocean (call Scott Snyder! Tell him to cancel The Wake now!). The art reminds me a bit of Daytripper except not as detailed, and the writing... it's very... indie... it feels like they were a bit stoned when they wrote it, a bit rambly and disconnected, even when the rap producer goes to his dog's funeral or they reveal why the screenwriter has these weird brown blotches on her face (camouflage, apparently!).

So while it doesn't seem to make a huge amount of sense, the basic story is right in my wheelhouse - I like the creepy elements in a modern world and I'm keen to see what the astronaut stuff is about. I'll probably pick up the trade in due course.

This looks/sounds like something I'd love.

Wool

I don't have any comics, but I have been reading this thread and I decided to go to the comic book store today to get Saga, since it has such rave reviews in here. I went in and looked around but could not find it. I asked the clerk if they had it, she says no but she can special order it. Then she asks if I'm looking for "TPB" or issues. I didn't know what that meant so I said TPB. Then she asks if I want to subscribe. I said no because I haven't read the beginning. She looks annoyed and says that I am getting the first volume, so I will be caught up by the next issue. I said I'm going to look online instead and I left.

What should I do? Can I buy the issues directly from the publisher, or is there a good website most of you get comics from? Do I want TPB? Can I subscribe without going through this store? Any advice or recommendations on other series would be appreciated.

kswiston

Picked this up today, definitely on board with this book in a big, bad way.

Man, I think I am due for another Sandman reading. The Doll's House is one of my favourite volumes. Pretty much the rest of the series is non-stop awesome by that point though.

I don't have any comics, but I have been reading this thread and I decided to go to the comic book store today to get Saga, since it has such rave reviews in here. I went in and looked around but could not find it. I asked the clerk if they had it, she says no but she can special order it. Then she asks if I'm looking for "TPB" or issues. I didn't know what that meant so I said TPB. Then she asks if I want to subscribe. I said no because I haven't read the beginning. She looks annoyed and says that I am getting the first volume, so I will be caught up by the next issue. I said I'm going to look online instead and I left.

What should I do? Can I buy the issues directly from the publisher, or is there a good website most of you get comics from? Do I want TPB? Can I subscribe without going through this store? Any advice or recommendations on other series would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Saga-Vol-1-Brian-Vaughan/dp/1607066017/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358743778&sr=8-1&keywords=saga

Order that. For issues 7-9, you can either go to a comic store and ask for the singles, or if you are not opposed to ebooks, you can order then on comixology.com and read them on your PC, phone, or tablet.

http://www.comixology.com/Saga/comics-series/7587

Owzers

Trades collect single issues, Saga volume 1 collects issues 1-6, the store worker was asking if you'd want to subscribe because the next issue might be #7 ( not sure, but it's close), so you'd start buying the singles from #7 on, subscribing to Saga is probably a good idea if you like it since it apparently tends to sell out and you'd have to wait for reprints. This is all based on you liking the first volume and not wanting to just wait until volume 2 releases in trade format.

I'd possibly give your store another try, though they should have said that ^^^^ maybe they were not on their game. You could also buy the trade from Amazon or other bookstores.

For other series, what kind of things are you interested in? Marvel/DC? Also, that post above me :O

frye

Wow. Honestly it sounds like you have a shit store. You want the TPB ("trade paperback" is a term borrowed from book publishing but here it basically means a softcover collection). It collects the first six issues and it's 10 bones, which is cheap as hell for these things. Amazon or a similar online retailer should have it. If you have another comic store in your town, maybe try hitting them up? The first Saga collection was pretty massively underordered by a lot of places I think, so I really don't see why any store would need to "special order" it for you.

fallingdove

l

TPB - trade paperback. A collection of the individual issues. The trade of Saga collects issues 1 - 6. It should be pretty easy to find online. Unless you are planning on collecting the floppies of saga, the tpb is the way to go.

Tizoc

I need to read Supergods someday...

Can't have sex with a giant spider-lady, bros. Just can't do it.

What if she tries to eat your head during the act or something?

The Will can tap dat spider-ass just fine brah, you just mad jelly due to xeno and arachophobia...but it's cool mate I don't wanna tap dat ass either...Stalk looks like a high demand bitch anyways.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Trades are good for casual reading. The biggest problem is the wait time between releases. For an ongoing series, especially one that is taking a break between arcs like Saga, it will only come out with one trade a year or so.

In the mean time you should go read some of Brian K Vaughan's older stuff. Y: The Last Man is a story almost universally loved and it is all currently available.

Speaking of, I just got the entirety of Liss's run on Panther in trades.

Can someone DC Comics minded recommend me a good run of Static (with the costume he's sporting in my avy, preferably)?

Wool

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll probably pick up the trade paper back then. If there's anything that I have to read please send me a PM or something. I've always liked all the X-Men cartoons and movies but there are so many series I wouldn't know where to start. Anything without super heroes would be good too.

Tizoc

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll probably pick up the trade paper back then. If there's anything that I have to read please send me a PM or something. I've always liked all the X-Men cartoons and movies but there are so many series I wouldn't know where to start. Anything without super heroes would be good too.

I maaaaaaaaaaay have a .txt file listing various (IMO) must read comic series if ur interested?

Ain't nothin but old Milestone brah. Go huntin for back issues.

Damn. WELP!

Read Gambit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's a good time to read X-men stuff. Uncanny X-Force just ended (which was apparently great), Bendis is killing it on All New X-Men (featuring the original five displaced in time) which in only 5 or 6 issues old so far and we're about to get a relaunch of Uncanny X-Men (with Scott and Magneto). There's also straight up X-Men (with an all female cast) coming soon, the new X-Force (starring Cable) and so on and so forth. There are also like 12 Wolverine solo titles. Frankly there might be TOO much X-Men stuff out....

Acid08

Banned
Strange Talent of Luther Strode was fucking rad. Need to hunt down the two issues of the second volume that are out.

All you new comics-gaf homies should check it out, there's a paperback out.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

OK I'm going to send you my list of god-tier comics.

akira28

The Will can tap dat spider-ass just fine brah, you just mad jelly due to xeno and arachophobia...but it's cool mate I don't wanna tap dat ass either...Stalk looks like a high demand bitch anyways.

Exactly. You fuck up and don't put enough seasoning salt on the popcorn, or you get her the wrong drink. and *Schlick* tongue dart through the eyeball. Spider-women are the most dangerous kind.

Fantomex

Wasn't there an Ultron thing in the Avengers not too long ago? Where Kang showed up with a device Tony Stark invented? And Tony is like, Oh snaps bros, don't come at him leave him alone. That device could destroy everybody and their momma. And then they went into the past and into the future and saw the different outcomes of the Age of Ultron?

Wasn't there an Ultron thing in the Avengers not too long ago? Where Kang showed up with a device Tony Stark invented? And Tony is like, Oh snaps bros, don't come at him leave him alone. That device could destroy everybody and their momma. And then they went into the past and into the future and saw the different outcomes of the Age of Ultron?

Ultron was in avengers 12.1 and moon knight. Kang showed up with something stark made

JEKKI

aw man Im reading my DC pickups (Batmang & Suicide Squad)

and I swear every ad in there says "NY Times Best Seller"

really?!?!?!

ElNarez

Banned
aw man Im reading my DC pickups (Batmang & Suicide Squad)

and I swear every ad in there says "NY Times Best Seller"

really?!?!?!

Yo, Suicide Squad bro. HOW FUCKING CRAY WAS THAT LAST ISSUE? (it was p. cray)

Like, I know haters have been talking shit about the New Harley ever since the cover of #1 was announced, but this issue had the Harley I wanted to read ever since I started thinking that parts of Mad Love are pretty terrible and fucked up. And, oh yeah, that last development is goddamn cray cray.

Owzers

Comixology sale: The Twelve for 99 cents an issue, but i think i'll wait for the OHC this summer that will end up being around $17 instead of 12 digitally.

Also Ruse, Mystic, Mystery Men and stuff. Mystery Men was decent.

Quake1028

So, I blame you guys, and also thank you, for forcing me to pickup the two Black Beetle issues so far with all of your positive comments. Here's some quick thoughts on stuff I read last night:

Black Beetle #0 & #1
I didn't know what to expect, not having any previous experience with the creator or the character going in. I'm kind of glad I went in so blindly, because issue #1 especially was a real treat. #0 was good as well, the art in these is amazing, and the colors really explode into your eyes on the iPad. Well worth dealing with the horrible, horrible Dark Horse app. They seriously need to bite the bullet and get on board with ComiXology, I would buy a lot more of their stuff. Anyways, that first issue, wow. Very well executed, my only complaints are that it's only 4 issues and it's not quad shipped. I don't want to wait a whole month for the contiunation.

Quick issue #0 question: Are there any plans to resolve what happened on the very last page of that issue? Does that tie-in to this story arc in any way?

Star Wars #1
While the Black Beetle issues felt shorter than they were, this felt longer, but that's not a knock on it. Tons of exposition and story, but it kept my interest, and again, there was some great art and colors in this issue. I'm not sure how long this is planned to go, or how the Marvel takeover will change what is being done here, or if they will even keep it, but I'm on board at $2.99 for as long as the story keeps my interest. Was nice to get back into the timeframe of the OT and to revisit and get a fresh take on characters we all know and love (or hate, for some).

Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe #1-#4
Wow, this was garbage. I feel bad for spending even $4 on it during the ComiXology sale, seeing that it was as much as I paid for the first issue of Black Beetle, and I got infinitely more enjoyment out of that. Anyway, back to this. The art was pretty trashy, the story was confusing and ultimately didn't lead anywhere, and the fight scenes were short, if they were even shown. I don't know much about Deadpool, but I just didn't find it believable that he could pull most of this off (I Know that was the entire premise). Maybe I'm wrong, and he really could kill Spider-Man or any of the others, but I just wasn't really feeling it. Waste of time and money. When the best part of the entire run is the cover for the first issue, you know you are in trouble.

Deadpool #1
This...was odd. As I said above, I don't know much about Deadpool, but I went ahead and bought the first 3 issues of this since he has always been a character I have been interested in, and he is becoming more popular with his upcoming movie and game. Maybe I shouldn't have bought all 3 at once before reading the first issue, but I guess I should give it a fair shake. It was definitely better than DKTMU, but that's not saying much for this series. The dead president's storyline was I guess unique but wasn't really keeping my interest. I found myself drifting away from the story and thinking about other things. I'll obviously read the other two, but things need to improve from this issue for me to keep going, or at least get through this arc and get to something that captivates me.

Probably didn't have to spoiler any of that, but always like to side with being cautious, just in case.

Fantomex

So, I blame you guys, and also thank you, for forcing me to pickup the two Black Beetle issues so far with all of your positive comments. Here's some quick thoughts on stuff I read last night:

Black Beetle #0 & #1
I didn't know what to expect, not having any previous experience with the creator or the character going in. I'm kind of glad I went in so blindly, because issue #1 especially was a real treat. #0 was good as well, the art in these is amazing, and the colors really explode into your eyes on the iPad. Well worth dealing with the horrible, horrible Dark Horse app. They seriously need to bite the bullet and get on board with ComiXology, I would buy a lot more of their stuff. Anyways, that first issue, wow. Very well executed, my only complaints are that it's only 4 issues and it's not quad shipped. I don't want to wait a whole month for the contiunation.

Quick issue #0 question: Are there any plans to resolve what happened on the very last page of that issue? Does that tie-in to this story arc in any way?

Star Wars #1
While the Black Beetle issues felt shorter than they were, this felt longer, but that's not a knock on it. Tons of exposition and story, but it kept my interest, and again, there was some great art and colors in this issue. I'm not sure how long this is planned to go, or how the Marvel takeover will change what is being done here, or if they will even keep it, but I'm on board at $2.99 for as long as the story keeps my interest. Was nice to get back into the timeframe of the OT and to revisit and get a fresh take on characters we all know and love (or hate, for some).

Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe #1-#4
Wow, this was garbage. I feel bad for spending even $4 on it during the ComiXology sale, seeing that it was as much as I paid for the first issue of Black Beetle, and I got infinitely more enjoyment out of that. Anyway, back to this. The art was pretty trashy, the story was confusing and ultimately didn't lead anywhere, and the fight scenes were short, if they were even shown. I don't know much about Deadpool, but I just didn't find it believable that he could pull most of this off (I Know that was the entire premise). Maybe I'm wrong, and he really could kill Spider-Man or any of the others, but I just wasn't really feeling it. Waste of time and money. When the best part of the entire run is the cover for the first issue, you know you are in trouble.

Deadpool #1
This...was odd. As I said above, I don't know much about Deadpool, but I went ahead and bought the first 3 issues of this since he has always been a character I have been interested in, and he is becoming more popular with his upcoming movie and game. Maybe I shouldn't have bought all 3 at once before reading the first issue, but I guess I should give it a fair shake. It was definitely better than DKTMU, but that's not saying much for this series. The dead president's storyline was I guess unique but wasn't really keeping my interest. I found myself drifting away from the story and thinking about other things. I'll obviously read the other two, but things need to improve from this issue for me to keep going, or at least get through this arc and get to something that captivates me.

Probably didn't have to spoiler any of that, but always like to side with being cautious, just in case.

You really liked Black Beetle but you were meh about the new Deadpool. You sound like a good person. Keep it up :) We gonna be friends.

Acid08

Banned
You're awesome for spoilering everything. This thread has some pretty aggravating problems with that, better to be safe.

BluWacky

http://www.vertigocomics.com/blog/2013/01/14/vertigo-solicits

The Vertigo solicits are just hilariously sad at this point.

Did anyone read Get Jiro when it came out in hardback? It sounded a bit like a vanity project at the time.

Sad to see Saucer Country get cancelled. The first TPB wasn't amazing but it was an interesting idea I'd have liked to have seen last longer. Guess I'll pick up the final one. With that getting cancelled, of Vertigo's new series launches last year that leaves only Fairest still running - and that hardly counts, now, does it? At least New Deadwardians finished out its run - very much looking forward to the TPB of that.

I hope we get a release date for Trillium soon, that looks pretty special. And I wonder what happened to Collider...

JEKKI

Yo, Suicide Squad bro. HOW FUCKING CRAY WAS THAT LAST ISSUE? (it was p. cray)

Like, I know haters have been talking shit about the New Harley ever since the cover of #1 was announced, but this issue had the Harley I wanted to read ever since I started thinking that parts of Mad Love are pretty terrible and fucked up. And, oh yeah, that last development is goddamn cray cray.
lucky me I kno absoluttely nothing about Harley outside of the Arkham games lol.

I read the older 2 Suicide Squad trades tho so that's why I'm on the new one, and I really enjoy it too!

Deadshot is real cool also, definitely plan on checking out Secret 6 this year!

arkon

Started to catch up on my huge pile of comics that's been building for the last 3 months, give or take.

Justice League Dark - I'm enjoying this, it's quite fun and not too grimdark. I know people have problems with Lemire's version of Constantine (too PG, don't like the backstory, etc) but since I haven't read any prior material the character's featured in, it's sitting fine with me. I particularly enjoyed the bit in JLD #15 where
he can't stop telling the truth in this alternate dimension :D Potential for some really fun hijinks with that

Frankenstein - sad to see this go. I was a bit unsure of Matt Kindt coming on-board, having had no experience of his previous work, but I liked what he was doing with the book for the issues he was on it. Didn't like the Rotworld tie-ins so much, felt it it derailed the book and by this point it had already been cancelled. Would have been nice if we could have got more standalone adventures before the end. Overall the series was good but not great. I thought the Flashpoint mini worked much better.

Legion Lost - I would have preferred if Nicieza had stayed on this. I thought he got it off to a decent start and was looking forward to what he had in store for the future issues. I did give De Falco a chance but it just never felt the same and the Culling crossover killed the rest of the enthusiasm for the book. I may have dropped it if I had got to these issues earlier. LL #16 spoilers:
I was thinking they might have them rejoin the main team in the future but the ending still leaves things up in the air. I do like one of the suggestions on CBR of turning this into a dimension-hopping/time-hopping book in the mould of Exiles or the Sliders TV show, as they try to get back to their own time. Think that's got potential.

And I still have a couple of months of Prophet, Manhattan Projects, Daredevil, WatX, and assorted other comics to get through.

arkon

Did anyone read Get Jiro when it came out in hardback? It sounded a bit like a vanity project at the time.

Sad to see Saucer Country get cancelled. The first TPB wasn't amazing but it was an interesting idea I'd have liked to have seen last longer. Guess I'll pick up the final one. With that getting cancelled, of Vertigo's new series launches last year that leaves only Fairest still running - and that hardly counts, now, does it? At least New Deadwardians finished out its run - very much looking forward to the TPB of that.

I hope we get a release date for Trillium soon, that looks pretty special. And I wonder what happened to Collider...

I've been looking out for that as well because it sounded interesting. I'm hoping they're still going ahead with it. It was originally supposed to debut in the Fall of last year. Maybe they're getting ready to launch the next wave of Vertigo titles alongside the likes of Trillium, the Wake and the Sandman miniseries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom