• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll

Banned
I think I'm not gonna vistthe thread until Thursday. Don't want my UXF spoiler :)

Good idea. This thread is off limits to me until I have done my rounds for the day. What really sucks is that depending on how busy I am and how late I get back from the shop it can be pretty late before I even start to read my first issue. :(

MartyStu

I want headmaster Wolverine shenanigans, what should I be reading?

Also, are we sure X-Force is in the right hands? I am getting a bit antsy...

Troll

Banned
I want headmaster Wolverine shenanigans, what should I be reading?

Also, are we sure X-Force is in the right hands? I am getting a bit antsy...

As far as Wolverine and the Xmen go, I've come to the conclusion that you're just going to have to decide for yourself and read everything. The circus story arc isn't for everyone, but you might love the hell out of it and if you do more power to you. Comics are great and we need more people enjoying them.

UXF is going to be awesome. That roster is almost as good as the new Xmen roster.

ElNarez

Banned
Somehow I forgot to pick Young Avengers. This is penance for my sins of getting comics mad early.

Couple of non-spoilery words on UXF. It's about getting together with friends and working out your issues by doing something you're good at. Except it's much more cray cray than a little pajama party with gossip, board games and pop corn. People get stabbed. Garney is on top of his game. Colorist Marte Gracia is a revelation. It's P. GOOD.

tim1138

Damn the Lantern books were good this week.

Kyle finally becoming the White Lantern, Simon Baz doing something no GL has ever done before, even Gardner was tolerable.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
As far as Wolverine and the Xmen go, I've come to the conclusion that you're just going to have to decide for yourself and read everything. The circus story arc isn't for everyone, but you might love the hell out of it and if you do more power to you. Comics are great and we need more people enjoying them.

UXF is going to be awesome. That roster is almost as good as the new Xmen roster.

Roster schmoster. Who's writing it? A comic is only as good as the people that make it, regardless of the little imaginary people represented therein.

I hope it's good, I'll miss it if not.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
UXF:
Was kind of a "safe" issue and mostly pretty boring. Why the heck is Betsy so damn agro? Groaned out loud and Puck's intro, though I don't know what I was expecting. So far I'm still cautiously optimistic that this can be good but it's got a long road to travel to get in the same league as Remender's run and this was a baby step at most

Young Avengers:
This single issue was everything I'd hoped it would be AND MORE. It was perfect from cover to cover and I'm going to read it again a hundred times before the next one comes out. All the characterizations were flawless. The story jumped off perfectly (Oh, Billy, what have you done?! :eek: ) For my money this might have been a better use of Gillen and McKelvie's time than Phonogram Vol 3, and I'm like Phonogram Superfan #1

I have no idea why I've bought four issues of Deadpool, but DANG can Tony Moore draw. He's incredible. Now I need to track down some good comics he's worked on.

I have no idea why I've bought four issues of Deadpool, but DANG can Tony Moore draw. He's incredible. Now I need to track down some good comics he's worked on.

Frankencastle.

You are so lucky, man. It's honestly the best collaborating he and Remender have ever done I'd say. There are some pages in there that belong in the Smithsonian.

I picked up YA and have no idea who any of these folks are or why I should care. Been out of comics for too long.

I'm 2/3rds through UXF and it's my favorite X comic ever. These guys have creativity in spades. Wolverine and Deadpool actually don't suck...and that's amazing. Fantomex is my favorite X-man of all-time.

Wool

Jim Rugg on Print v Digital, using Hellboy In Hell as an example.

A MUST READ
http://jimrugg.com/?p=290

Isn't it unfair to be comparing the digital comic as is with a digital picture of the print comic? It's the exact same image, but one of them they uploaded, and the other they printed out, took a picture of it, and then uploaded the picture. You could blame all of the loss in the quality on the photographer of the printed copy.

Isn't it unfair to be comparing the digital comic as is with a digital picture of the print comic? It's the exact same image, but one of them they uploaded, and the other they printed out, took a picture of it, and then uploaded the picture. You could blame all of the loss in the quality on the photographer of the printed copy.

Except he was describing his experience reading both, not reading a digital comic and then reading a digital picture of the print comic. That was just for illustration purposes.

8bit

Knows the Score
Honestly, Humphries hasn't impressed me on Ultimates so kinda unsure if this will be good or awful.

Being honest here.

Ultimates has been pretty awful since he took over, I think I'm too burned to consider UXF.

FF, Vanilla Avengers, WatXM, Young Avengers & X-Men Legacy are all great today.

IDW's Dredd seems to be finding it's groove.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I didn't like Young Avengers. Hickman Avengers was wonderful though, big things coming in this book.

Congratulations on making The List™

About half of Comic-GAF is going to be on The List™ soon.

Whew. :O

The cover to WatXM had me a little worried, but it turns out Aaron
wasn't establishing a new status quo... he was just confirming an old one. Also, there's your explanation for the mohawk.
Things are actually turning out how I predicted/hoped they would. Also, Quentin Quire better watch himself. >:|

Young Avengers #1: Good issue, but I still fucking hate Wiccan and Hulkling. Loki, Hawkeye, Marvel Boy and Ms America were all great though. B-

Uncanny X-Force #1: AMAZING. Everything I hoped it would be and more! X-Force is in good hands, while Remender flails away on his lesser book. A+

Uncanny Avengers #3: Bye, Remender. D-

Avengers #3: Another snoozer. I give it one more issue to wow me. This for Cannonball and Sunspot. C

Wolverine & The X-Men #24: Back to the series I know and love. Everything was fresh, exciting, charming and had great art. A

A+X #4: 2 decent team ups. This will probably be a good TPB. B+

Gambit #8: I miss Clay Mann. B

Three Avengers books this week, Avengers > Young Avengers >>> Uncanny Avengers

Avengers has FANTASTIC artwork and finally some interesting developments with Adam and Captain Universe. Plus, just a lot of action getting thrown down. I don't love it, but I enjoyed this one. Gonna miss Opena.

Young Avengers was good, but the angsty teen drama shit was just the worst. I could not give less of a fuck about Wiccan and Hulkling, and this issue didn't change that in the slightest. Final page made me laugh, although kinda in a twisted way.

Uncanny Avengers is just fuckin' boring. Boring artwork, boring overbearing narration captions, boring characters. This story is ass. Bring on Daniel Acuna, pls.

Blader

Did you know the characters going in? I didn't and it did nothing for me. One and done.

I knew most of them (except Lady Cap), but I don't think I've ever really liked Wiccan and Hulking, and kid Loki seems like a step back from where Gillen left him at the end of Journey into Mystery. Shit ton of exposition too.

I'll give it a few issues (I did stick with his Iron Man for a couple months, after all) but it was kind of a disappointing opener.

Owzers

Young Avengers is going to have a lot of work to do to make me continue buying it despite Hulkling and Wiccan being on the team. I can't stand them as of now, thanks to Children's Crusade, and the above posts are making me worried about pre-ordering further issues of the book. I guess i'll stop at issue #3 and go from there.

LiQuid!

So much Wiccan/Hulkling h8. Why do you guys hate yaoi so much?

Real Talk: You guys are overblowing that shit quite a bit. Billy was being a toolbox but he was an emo twat at the end of Children's Crusade. I'm sure Gillen is just trying to undo that and right the ship. Hulkling was just trying to snap him out of it and aside from just being a sensitive boyfriend, he wasn't really being "emo." Would hate to think you lot are all just being homophobes, but I didn't think there was anything egregious about the way they were portrayed from a teen relationship standpoint. Just man up and deal with it. Nobody got up in arms at Kate waking up in Noh-Varr's spaceship sex lair but Hulkling having a heart to heart has everybody grabbing for their pitchforks? C'mon people.

Troll

Banned
Roster schmoster. Who's writing it? A comic is only as good as the people that make it, regardless of the little imaginary people represented therein.

I hope it's good, I'll miss it if not.

See, that isn't entirely true at least for me. I can't stand Morrison, but his Xmen was fine. If I were to just look at the writer I would have skipped that entirely.

The worst thing about the new Stumptown is that now we have to wait forever for the next issue to come out.

And I'm pretty damn sold on this new UXF book.

Man that art in Uncanny X-Force was eye melting bad. Like they had someone trace panels from a mid-90's low tier DC comic. And Humphries seems like he decided to just stop trying to write any not ridiculous dialogue by page 16. "I will have my vengeance!" Seriously? So I guess the dream is dead UXF is over now.

Avengers started getting good with this issue. That Opena art is still amazing, and now the plot has finally started to take shape.

LiQuid!

Oh man I just saw the last page of UXF #1 and CANNOT. STOP. LAUGHING. :D

No wonder Betsy's acting so pissed off.
That's it, right?

Would be pretty funny if that were the case, though I imagine she just doesn't know at this point. Could you even consider
making out with your own female clone incest?
Haha, such a good final page. I wonder if Remender had any say in that or if it was all Humphries.

Blader

Young Avengers is going to have a lot of work to do to make me continue buying it despite Hulkling and Wiccan being on the team. I can't stand them as of now, thanks to Children's Crusade, and the above posts are making me worried about pre-ordering further issues of the book. I guess i'll stop at issue #3 and go from there.

I didn't read Children's Crusade and it's been a long time since I read the original Young Avengers, but everything about Hulking and Wiccan in this issue was just so bizarre.

Wiccan: We promised we weren't going to be superheroes anymore!
Hulking: You don't get it, your parents are great, mine are dead! Also, I fell in love with a superhero!
Wiccan: You're right! We should be heroes again! Also, here's your mother from a parallel universe.

just...what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom