• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uncanny Avengers:
What's with the constant narration? I find it kind of unnecessary in this type of medium. I find it harder to stick with Remender on this one.

Uncanny X-Force:
So Fantomex left Betsy for himself? Good issue nonetheless

Young Avengers:
I think I was maybe over-hyped about this, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Can't wait to see the "Kid" Loki part play out and the team to get together. Loved the panel arrangements.

Avengers:
My favorite issue so far, but I think the villains brought the whole arc down. However, I trust Hickman to bring them up and expand on them later in the run or in New Avengers. The team might still be too large, so I hope it gets better when they are divided in sub-teams later on.

WatXM:
I think I liked every single page. Not a perfect issue, but it was just what I was looking for.

GL/Corps/New Guardians:
I really want this event to be over. I am really interested in Baz, Kyle and Guy's stories, but I can't find the Third Army appealing at all.

FF:
Despite not liking and dropping Fraction's F4, I am enjoying this title immensely and can't wait for the next issue. It is such a good read.

Wiccan and Hulkiling are relics of a bygone era. The early aughts manga crowd and scene kids where they had to have gay characters to appear edgy. I don't want to read romance from comics writers or from comic fans. Making gay characters doesn't automatically improve the romance writing or Fred as these fans seem to think. Still got the poster and the variant though. Bring back Cassie Lang. I'd get all Statured up in that broad.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I didn't read Children's Crusade and it's been a long time since I read the original Young Avengers, but everything about Hulking and Wiccan in this issue was just so bizarre.

Wiccan: We promised we weren't going to be superheroes anymore!
Hulking: You don't get it, your parents are great, mine are dead! Also, I fell in love with a superhero!
Wiccan: You're right! We should be heroes again! Also, here's your mother from a parallel universe.

just...what?

That's your problem dude. Wiccan's powers and his quest to find his real mommy (SW) lead to a lot of really bad shit in Children's Crusade so he hung up his suit. I'm not sure how anything that happened in this issue was bizarre.

Damn, WATXM was very entertaining read this week. Lopez' artwork was fantastic. Just look at this clubbing outfit he got for Rachel!

heeeelz.jpg

with the red studs on the jacket like her Excalibur outfit and everything

FoneBone

I hadn't thought YA would be so divisive hereabouts. :-/ Loved it.
Wiccan and Hulkiling are relics of a bygone era. The early aughts manga crowd and scene kids where they had to have gay characters to appear edgy. I don't want to read romance from comics writers or from comic fans. Making gay characters doesn't automatically improve the romance writing or Fred as these fans seem to think. Still got the poster and the variant though. Bring back Cassie Lang. I'd get all Statured up in that broad.
You seem to be getting at something here...
bKBqGTf.gif

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Narration in Uncanny Avengers this week felt like old school Claremont describing everyone's powers in long and tired captions every single issue. Really didn't feel like Remender.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Young Avengers #1: Good issue, but I still fucking hate Wiccan and Hulkling. Loki, Hawkeye, Marvel Boy and Ms America were all great though. B-

Uncanny X-Force #1: AMAZING. Everything I hoped it would be and more! X-Force is in good hands, while Remender flails away on his lesser book. A+

Uncanny Avengers #3: Bye, Remender. D-

Avengers #3: Another snoozer. I give it one more issue to wow me. This for Cannonball and Sunspot. C

Wolverine & The X-Men #24: Back to the series I know and love. Everything was fresh, exciting, charming and had great art. A

A+X #4: 2 decent team ups. This will probably be a good TPB. B+

Gambit #8: I miss Clay Mann. B

whoa whoa, cannonball and sunspot are on avengers?

ElNarez

Banned
Uncanny Avengers was awesome in just how unapologetically dumb it got. It's big and bold and stupid and therefore kind of awesome.

Meanwhile, Young Avengers was a standard Marvel #1. It had various heroes going on about their business in a way that would quickly explain who they are and what they are all about, with a cliffhanger at the end to make you buy issue #2. It's a primer more than anything. That's not a problem per se, but I expected Gillen to take a different, maybe smarter or more self-aware road with the introductions.

On Wiccan and Hulking : Yo, it was smart characterization. Clear enough for continuity to be somewhat irrelevant. Peppered with Superhero As Metaphor. Issues being worked out. Feelings to be had. Don't hate.

Parallax

Uncanny Avengers was awesome in just how unapologetically dumb it got. It's big and bold and stupid and therefore kind of awesome.

Meanwhile, Young Avengers was a standard Marvel #1. It had various heroes going on about their business in a way that would quickly explain who they are and what they are all about, with a cliffhanger at the end to make you buy issue #2. It's a primer more than anything. That's not a problem per se, but I expected Gillen to take a different, maybe smarter or more self-aware road with the introductions.

On Wiccan and Hulking : Yo, it was smart characterization. Clear enough for continuity to be somewhat irrelevant. Peppered with Superhero As Metaphor. Issues being worked out. Feelings to be had. Don't hate.

thats a bit of a mouthful for you isnt it?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

ElNarez, there's still hope for U and me, baby.

I find Hulkling and Wiccan to be insufferable, lame, annoying ass losers who are joined at the hip, have paper-thin characterizations and who literally cannot say anything other then "I love you bubububu"

It sucks. We lost Speed and Patriot for this?

Parallax

I find Hulkling and Wiccan to be insufferable, lame, annoying ass losers who are joined at the hip, have paper-thin characterizations and who literally cannot say anything other then "I love you bubububu"

It sucks. We lost Speed and Patriot for this?

watch the dark young avengers become a thing.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
UXF: Hrrrm, its written a bit weird and with adjectiveless on the horizon with pretty much a damn similar line-up minus Puck, not too sure on its place now.

Uncanny Avengers: Yeah this book is pretty much total shit. Will see if Remender can save it with the next arc and far better artists, but shit has been a disaster. Oh also wish I had put money down against someone here on Wolverine getting injected with some dumb shit as a plot device. Happens essentially twice this issue!!

Avengers: That... ended quickly. Weird how the villains just acted like kids being sent to the teachers lounge by the end. I can forsee 'Adam' is the exact type of character I hate in comics. A living macguffin.

WatXM: Aaaaaaaaaaaah. Good, back to normal, in charge of this school shit, and going good with plots. But oh god NuBeast whyyyyyyyyyyy.

Young Avengers: Wiccan and Hulkling dragging the whole damn book down as expected. Loki, Kate Bishop, Miss America, all good. Then here comes Dawsons Creek and Dawsons Creeker.

A+X: Cap and Quentin oneshot does more for the purpose of Uncanny Avengers than Remenders entire run. A+X has been some surprisingly good comics.

I finally got a chance to pick up my items in my box after a couple of months.

For the recent stuff. I am liking Deadpool, I enjoyed the little Street Fighter reference in there.

I am a bit confused about what is going on with all the Punisher related stuff right now.

I am getting Punisher Nightmare, Punisher Warzone and Thunderbolts and I am not sure which one is in the main Marvel story line. I don't really follow that, but I was wondering if someone could clear it this up for me.

Punisher Nightmare is mentioning the Skrull Invasion as well as Vietname, Thunderbolts uses the characters from the Main marvel line in a way that I am familiar with. Warzone of course follows the recent Greg Rucka story line. Other than no over arching connection between the two story-wise, Warzone is the only book where Frank has a scar (its too bad they didn't make him lose his eye permanently, I thought it would have been a nice mix up) and Frank's background is a general war vet.

This isn't the first time Punisher had different books going on, the Max story line that just ended being the most recent example, but that was fairly obviously a different universe than the Main Marvel story though, while the three things going on now are confusing me.

ElNarez

Banned
I liked all of the book except 30 second domestic troubles/resolution section with those two. They really are insufferably earnest.

Counterpoint : Eleventeen issues of Wiccan being all "I HATE BEING A SUPERHERO I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS" would've gotten real grating, real fast. Nipping that out in the bud was smart. Plus, Metaphors. And things getting crazy and complicated. Superheroes having feels. That's good.

JL #16 Wow things are rapidly going down the drain for the JL and the end was a shocker. The subplot was awesome with Shazam and Black Adam. Gonna pick up the rest of my comics next week.

LiQuid!

Would I be lost if I started WATXM this week?

Lost is a bad word, but you would be remiss in not reading most of the run up to this point. The first few arcs deal a lot with some of the main students at the school (Idie, Broo, Quire mostly) and this issue in particular would spoil a big "oh shit" event that happens within the last couple issues.

Really enjoyed Avengers this week, I've added that to my pull list.

Throne of Atlantis is fun, but that's pretty much it.

I'm also really intrigued about Vibe now because of that interview.

Fantomex

Avengers - good book, I really liked it. I'm sure this is not the last we hear from the villains.

UXF - Good story, good art and great at catching us up with what's going on in the Marvel Universe with its cast. DAT ending!

Uncanny Avengers #3: I'm really surprised at all the hate around here...it's quite possibly my favorite X-Men/Avengers book at the moment. The narrations were a really great touch, Remender always has badass fight scenes, and Cassaday brings topnotch art. Freaking loving it.

Wolverine and the X-Men #24:
If you read my previous comments in this thread, you'd know I'm not a fan of this series. I read #24 off a friend's pad after he insisted it's good, and he didn't lie. I was cringing at the idea of a date night issue, but it turned out to actually be entertaining.

Young Avengers #1: I was expecting big things after how much I enjoyed Gillen's recent JiM and UX runs, but this first issue fell flat. The introductions were just boring as hell...I even had to yawn through Loki's part. That's mind-boggling to me.

Uncanny X-Force #1: Now this is how to do a solid intro issue. Psylocke's constant
expletives
seemed a bit forced and out of place, but no big deal. That ending had me laughing my ass off though. No wonder she didn't want to talk about it, haha. I thought I was dropping this after Remender left, but I guess I can hang around a little bit longer.

Wonder Woman #16: Awesomeness as usual, even if not a ton happened to progress the story.

Gartooth

Avengers was great once again this week, and I'm thinking about trying out Young Avengers soon. I'm waiting to see what the reception is to the new Uncanny X-Force series before jumping on. (Remender's run on UXF is one of my favorites in all of comic books, and I would rather not go in at all then go in and have the new series tarnish the reputation of what came before it)

Also despite my love for Remender's run on UXF, I have to say that Uncanny Avengers is so far a gigantic disappointment and I'm dropping it between the inconsistent releases and poor quality of the writing. Again, it's a big disappointment especially coming from Remender, but so far his run on Cap is decent. (also what the heck was up with all the narration in the newest issue of UA?)

Vyer

Uncanny X-Force: decent, standard setup issue I suppose. I'll give the next one a go.

Chew: Awesome.
lol@ the 'lowly comic creator's face when the fan was burning

Young Avengers: Didn't really do anything for me.

Justice League: I'm enjoying the Atlantis stuff more than I thought I would. Better than JL has been in the last few months, which have felt pretty pointless.

Green Lantern/Corp: Finally feels like the Third Army stuff is going somewhere.
Liked seeing Kyle finally reach the goal of his rainbow quest. And Baz has started to come together for me as a character.

Damn, WATXM was very entertaining read this week. Lopez' artwork was fantastic. Just look at this clubbing outfit he got for Rachel!

Yeah, I loved it. The "indescriminate coupling" comment from Warbird was amazing. I'm glad that god-awful circus arc is over with.

On the other hand, I had a rough time with Uncanny Avengers. I can't believe this is the same guy that wrote the entire run of Uncanny X-Force before the Marvel NOW renumbering. I'll give it another issue or two, but so far, I've enjoyed every issue less than the one before. Which sucks, because the first one was really good.

Okay, FF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fantastic Four. I'm adding it to my pull list.

For one thing, the Yancy Street Gang made me laugh here. For another, Darla. Another, "The Jeeeeeennnnnnn". Another, the "Terrible Trio" (read it and you'll know what I'm talking about). Not to mention crazy, somewhat creepy Scott Lang and his whole awkward weirdness. The whole thing is giving me the same vibe I get from reading Hawkeye and that's all right with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom