• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

Prophet. Another title I've been meaning to try. I need different sci-fi since the licensed books have been rather underwhelming. I suppose I should hunt down Fear Agent as well.

No way. She totally is a bad ass when she wants to be. Plus it's iconic.
it's dumb though. I get it, they want her to look edgier on uncanny xforce so now we have to suffer through the look on every book, but she simply doesn't give off that portrayal that the haircut implies.

Once in a while doesn't count.

Fantomex

it's dumb though. I get it, they want her to look edgier on uncanny xforce so now we have to suffer through the look on every book, but she simply doesn't give off that portrayal that the haircut implies.

It is very common for women who actually go through divorces, deaths or other big changes in their lives to do things like change their look or shave their hair. I understand you don't like it, but at least Humphries kept it real.

Remember?
LaurynHill.jpg

Quake1028

Deadpool #2-#4
I still don't know if I would say I like this book, outside of the art, but I did like these three issues a decent amount more than I liked issue #1. There were some bits that made me smirk, and as I said, the art is pretty amazing, especially on the dead Presidents. Dead Lincoln had some pretty good interaction with Deadpool, and I liked that he was the hardest to kill among all of the ones so far. Next up: Ronald Reagan!

Gambit #1-#7
Pretty decent stuff, story wise. I'm not too familiar with recent X-Men stuff, so I was kind of lost as to who the MI13 people were, outside of some of their names that were spoken in the books. One thing I didn't like was how bad the art got after 3 or so issues. I think there was an artist change, and it was pretty jarring. The art for the first 3-4 issues was pretty gorgeous. The story was pretty standard stuff, but I liked how they kept you on your toes with Joelle and her cross, double and triple crosses of Gambit. I did notice that the issues seemed to fly by, even though in some there was quite a bit of dialogue and exposition, which is a good sign. Gambit was always my favorite X-Man, so I am with this book for the long haul. Pretty excited to read issue #8 and see where the next story arc is going to take us.

Wonder Woman #15-#16
I think I'm lost here. I thought #15 looked like a good starting point, but I think I was very wrong. I guess maybe I have to go back and read the entire run? Or was there a good jumping on point somewhere in the middle? I'll have to do some more resarch. In as much as I could understand what was going on, I really liked this. Milan is such a cool character, and I loved the interplay between Diana's mostly scumbag family. Diana kind of took a backseat, except for one very brief encounter with Orion. I also really liked the very ending of issue #16, I'm excited to see where that goes. On board, if I can figure out what the hell is going on!

Young Avengers #1
Pretty solid. I'm not familiar with ANY of these characters, so I was a bit lost in some spots. I was, I guess prudishly, semi surprised to see an openly gay couple and storyline. I thought this did a good job of setting things up, but not really introducing brand new readers to these characters and why I should care about them. The mother being brought back and the last page were a cool twist, and I don't like to judge first issues too harshly, especially since it's mostly my fault for not knowing the characters going in. I want to see where this heads, and get more familiar with it, so it's definitely earned a spot on my pull list.

Still have Gambit #8 and Uncanny Avengers #3 to read from this week, but I think tonight is going to be Saga marathon night. Have #1-#9 to get through. Ridiculously excited.

She's returning to her badass, carefree roots. Did you read yesterday's books? It's a return to form for her.

Fantomex

One day Marvel is going to have to realize that Deadpool has to grow up .They should just give him 2 monthly books. One that continues Remenders character, and one where he can be the goofball that brings them the 13 year old dollars.

She's returning to her badass, carefree roots. Did you read yesterday's books? It's a return to form for her.
seemed more like a teenager who just got dumped and is rebelling :p

If she starts acting the part then I'll be fine with it. I expect a lot of badass one liners and murder. Otherwise...eh...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One day Marvel is going to have to realize that Deadpool has to grow up .They should just give him 2 monthly books. One that continues Remenders character, and one where he can be the goofball that brings them the 13 year old dollars.

There was an interview with one of the writers saying the book will get a bit more serious after this arc. I'm not expecting a whole lot though.

notworksafe

That's literally against the entire point of the character. Not every character has to become super serious and deep to be worth reading.

Fantomex

That's literally against the entire point of the character. Not every character has to become super serious and deep to be worth reading.

That is your opinion that happens to be wrong. Those of us that read the character in Uncanny X-Force were left yearning for more. Hence why he can have two titles. It will never happen. So he can continue to be the funny guy Spider-Man ripoff that Leifeld da God intended him to be in the first place.

That is your opinion that happens to be wrong. Those of us that read the character in Uncanny X-Force were left yearning for more. Hence why he can have two titles. It will never happen. So he can continue to be the funny guy Spider-Man ripoff that Leifeld da God intended him to be in the first place.

uh lol he was never that serious in Uncanny X-Force, he just had reactions to serious situations

Hey I'd say Wade had some grown up moments in Uncanny X-Force, especially in the end with Genesis. He showed maturing/understanding/seriousness. But he still joked around a lot. Remender's Deadpool was the best balance.

arkon

Prophet. Another title I've been meaning to try. I need different sci-fi since the licensed books have been rather underwhelming. I suppose I should hunt down Fear Agent as well.

You definitely should. Try Manhattan Projects while you're at it (assuming you haven't already).

Troll

Banned
UXF was my favorite Deadpool too. :-/

I liked UXF #1, it was different but good for a #1.

Avengers was awesome. Huge roster so let's see how Hickman manages it.

Didn't like Uncanny Avengers very much. Cassaday had some very disappointing panels and the narration wasn't really for me. Let's not give Remender 3 months to write narrations again, okay?

Acid08

Banned
Doubt the 13 year olds would get the Scott Aukerman reference in #4. Is a dumb book but it's entertaining. Y'all motherfuckers make hella excuses for dumb shit in comics. What makes this one so offensive to your delicate sensibilities? Art is amazing too.

Where were the people coming for me when I was mad about Remender leaving UXF because "we would still get great Remender stories in UA" and "it's not about the characters." Now UA is pure dogshit. Bless Sam Humphries for keeping up the quality of UXF. Bye, Remender.

Blader

Where were the people coming for me when I was mad about Remender leaving UXF because "we would still get great Remender stories in UA" and "it's not about the characters." Now UA is pure dogshit. Bless Sam Humphries for keeping up the quality of UXF. Bye, Remender.

Given how awful his stuff on Ultimates was, I have a hard time believing Humphries' UXF (or Humphries' anything) is any good. But goddamn, UA was something terrible this week, what the hell happened?

Fantomex

Doubt the 13 year olds would get the Scott Aukerman reference in #4. Is a dumb book but it's entertaining. Y'all motherfuckers make hella excuses for dumb shit in comics. What makes this one so offensive to your delicate sensibilities? Art is amazing too.

Whoa Whoa Whoa there Ms. Lippy. All I'm saying is add to the current Deadpool book that you currently enjoy right now, and have another monthly title starring UXF deadpool. It's cool essay, you'll still get your fart jokes, explosions, wacky villains and everything in the current book you enjoy. But we people who attend the Thea-Turr, practice the foxtrot, enjoy conversations dealing with capitalism and intellectualize over cups of joe would have our sensibilities fulfilled as well. Hear Hear. /sarcasm

I wasn't back in comic books yet or else I would of had your back bruh.

I didn't care about Remender stopping X-force to go on Avengers, I was mad Rogue was in an Avengers book and I'd have to buy it. ;p

Batman, Batman and Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, Nightwing, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Talon, Earth 2, Worlds' Finest, Green Lantern, GL: Corps, GL: New Guardians, Red Lanterns, Justice League, Action Comics, Supergirl, Aquaman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Legion of Super Heroes, Sword of Sorcery, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Demon Knights, Batman Beyond*.

yes, I like most of these. I need to catch back up on Green Lantern stuff though

I never read Humphries' Ultimates, but the first issue of UXF was quite good. I don't know what is up with Remender. Maybe this is what happens when you are given free reign and Cassaday as an artist? All I know is that this Claremontian narration is a cheap knockoff of the true master and Havok is still a shit character, no matter who he bosses around. Fuck Havok.

arkon

God Prophet is so amazing. Like it was beamed in from another planet. Holy shit.

Yeah. The best thing for me is that it sets my imagination racing, with some of the concepts he just seems to toss out effortlessly each month. To the point that I almost want to pick up a pen and paper, to start drawing and writing my own comics.

Acid08

Banned
Whoa Whoa Whoa there Ms. Lippy. All I'm saying is add to the current Deadpool book that you currently enjoy right now, and have another monthly title starring UXF deadpool. It's cool essay, you'll still get your fart jokes, explosions, wacky villains and everything in the current book you enjoy. But we people who attend the Thea-Turr, practice the foxtrot, enjoy conversations dealing with capitalism and intellectualize over cups of joe would have our sensibilities fulfilled as well. Hear Hear.

I wasn't back in comic books yet or else I would of had your back bruh.
Sounds like you should go off with the DC fanboys mang. All those dudes like to pretend they're above thinking fart jokes are cool too.

Yeah. The best thing for me is that it sets my imagination racing, with some of the concepts he just seems to toss out effortlessly each month. To the point that I almost want to pick up a pen and paper, to start drawing and writing my own comics.

You should write him a fan letter or something. That's pretty much the most best thing you could ever tell a creator.

ReiGun

I like Wonder Woman more now that I starting looking at it for what it is instead of what I want it to be. 16 felt like more setup on top of all the setup in issues 13 - 15, but it's enjoyable setup. Milan is a welcome edition to Diana's weird ass family, Snow Dude
who i still say is a Hercules
and Orion are some bad ass mofos.

I still wish there was a second Wondy book that just had her punching Silver Swan and Doctor Psycho in the face. Call me shallow. *shrug*

Wonder Woman is the stealg best book DC has.

Wonder what/if Orion is darksides son. Irbid Zola 's baby is mister miracle or something.

I enjoyed the arc where they go the underworld.

If you are like me and love Greek mythology than this a perfect fit

ReiGun

How powerful is Wonder Woman, exactly?
Brah, I been reading this book from day 1, and I honestly don't know. Taking off her braclets now gives her access to some "god mode" that let her body Artemis (?) who had previously been beating her ass. So, "god level with the bands off" is the most I can say.

God Prophet is so amazing. Like it was beamed in from another planet. Holy shit.

I know that feel. The last 5 or so issues where the story and distinct characters have really started to come together have been incredibly rewarding. Also the art by Giannis Milonogiannis is incredible.

If you're looking for more art like that check out his book Old City Blues which just came out in hardcover from archaia. Its also online for free as a web comic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom