• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdmondD

Nova-03-Preview1.jpg

This is a Loeb book, why isn't Sam punching the watcher?

Oh mah gerd it's the Watcher! Surely this must be an cosmic event of amazing importance that will shape the Marvel universe for years to come! Oh, wait it's Jeph Loeb fuck that hack. These clowns need to stop using the Watcher it doesn't mean jack shit anymore.

Owzers

was there a specific reason why comixology stopped running sales frequently? Right now it's Marvel's monday sale and scraps.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hawkguy #7 preview

Marvel Comics deals with the devastation of Hurricane Sandy in a Hawkeye #7, and writer Matt Fraction has pledged to donate his royalties from the issue to the Red Cross. Here's a Newsarama-exclusive preview.

HAWKEYE #7
MATT FRACTION (W) • STEVE LIEBER & JESSE HAMM (A) • DAVID AJA (C)
"We're pushing the next story back by a month to make room for a two timely stories about Hawkeye and Kate Bishop dealing with the ramifications of a hurricane that hammers the east coast. With lovely art by the Eisner Award Winning artist Steve Leiber and newcomer Jesse Hamm, it's a perfect pause before the next Fraction/Aja mini-opus begins....featuring the reveal of a villain that I can promise you no one sees coming."
32 PGS./Rated T+ $2.99

kswiston

Fraction making Kate Bishop a major character in Hawkeye was genius.

Speaking of Fraction, FF was my Marvel book of the week. What a great issue. I dumped Fantastic Four after issue 1, but I'm going to stick with FF for at least as long as Mike Allred is on the title.

WatXM and Avengers also had good issues. Not as sold on issue 1 of Young Avengers as some of you are, but I liked it (and the preview before this) enough to give it a few more issues to grow on me.

Uncanny X-Force #1 was serviceable. I'm curious to see where this arc is going, but I don't see myself on the title for the long run.

Uncanny Avengers will get until issue 6 because it is Remender, and because Cassaday is off the book in another issue, but those first 3 issues have definitely been the most disappointing books of the Marvel Now! initiative. I'm sure there are other series that are worse, but I never expected them to be good and thus skipped over them.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'd wager most people cold on Young Avengers never read Phonogram. As a Phonogram fan seeing those two pair up for some stylish teen drama again after so long was literally the best birthday present I could have asked for. I highly recommend the 2nd volume of Phonogram for anybody that wants to get an idea of why I've been so excited for this book for months.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Not domestic. Stylish. The scene with Kate and Noh-Varr was very Phonogram-ish. I wouldn't be surprised if it was like word for word a scene he took from a future issue of Phonogram. Well, up until the Skrull attack.

I liked Phonogram - Marvel Boy dancing to 60's girlpop was awesome, but the Wiccan/Hulkling stuff in Young Avengers sucked ass. Bored. Someone kill these two ciphers already. Why are they not being crushed in Avengers Arena?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I liked Phonogram - Marvel Boy dancing to 60's girlpop was awesome, but the Wiccan/Hulkling stuff in Young Avengers sucked ass. Bored. Someone kill these two ciphers already. Why are they not being crushed in Avengers Arena?

Oh god can you imagine that? Forced to fight to the death: two pretty boys in a relationship work through their issues with their fists. It ends with X-23 killing them both horribly.

Sidenote: I like the book, but fuck me with the teen drama stuff.

LiQuid!

Why does everyone have such a hard time recognizing that that scene apparently served the purpose of 1. establishing that they were gay and boyfriends for new readers, and 2. putting that shit to rest. If it made a bad impression, that sucks, but it kinda needed to be handled because of the way Children's Crusade ended. If it didn't we would have had to endure however many issues of Wiccan just being a whiny bitch. At least this way it popped off and lead to the ridiculous shit with the parents.

LiQuid!

I swear to crap if this book gets cancelled because comic nerds can't deal with a little boy kissing I'm giving up on comics forever. D:

Why does everyone have such a hard time recognizing that that scene apparently served the purpose of 1. establishing that they were gay and boyfriends for new readers, and 2. putting that shit to rest. If it made a bad impression, that sucks, but it kinda needed to be handled because of the way Children's Crusade ended. If it didn't we would have had to endure however many issues of Wiccan just being a whiny bitch. At least this way it popped off and lead to the ridiculous shit with the parents.

They shouldn't even be included in this comic. They are the least interesting Young Avengers - and yes, that includes Stature. There's literally nothing to their character other than being gay teens in love. Every scene they have ever been in has been shit.

McKelvie is good at everything except faces, but in the opposite way people whine about Frank "Da God of western comic storytelling" Quitely. Quitely will often sacrifice the attractiveness of his characters to get the exact facial reaction to match the story's needs. McKelvie has pretty characters, but most of them look alike, and he either over-states emotions(Billy's reaction to Teddy's return), or under-reacts to the situation(Kate Bishop is appearently having the time of her life, but you couldn't tell by that bored befuddled look she has. Billy's parents near the end look like they're reacting to a fart in the room or some shit). It's a weird disconnect.

Steve Dillion would sit in the middle I guess, who has like, 5-6 faces total or something? And yet he's an amazing storyteller, perfectly in-sync with his writer.

LiQuid!

Her line near the end of that section. Something like "This is all I've ever really wanted." Fuuuuck off.

You mean this amazing spread where she relishes in the fact that she's a superhero with no superpowers? Yeah, absolutely neutered.

You should go read this:

http://kierongillen.tumblr.com/post/40292277845/meet-the-team-hawkeye

The concept of superheroes without superpowers is something that I think about a bit too much. A trope of the genre is how the unpowered human can stand against the power of these walking gods. It’s the Batman Always Wins line – that by force of will and preparation, you can trump anything.

LiQuid!

kitty pryde is for lame-os and joss whedon (not mutually exclusive)!!

I think he's talking about the page before - where she's watching Marvel Boy dance but I don't really see what's wrong with that?

OCBzAWQ.gif

Acid08

Banned
You mean this amazing spread where she relishes in the fact that she's a superhero with no superpowers? Yeah, absolutely neutered.

You should go read this:

http://kierongillen.tumblr.com/post/40292277845/meet-the-team-hawkeye
That's not what she's referring to. That line comes right after she says some shit about Noh-Varr dancing around to old music. The way it's written makes it sound like she's saying that's all she wants, making her seem totally neutered and not ambitious at all(which we know she is). Shitty line, why you heff to be mad?

Edit: And yeah you got the page totally wrong.

Blader

Especially when it's the first issue!

I'd have no problem with Wiccan and Hulking if they just stopped saying how much they love each other in every panel of every book they've ever been in.

LiQuid!

That's not what she's referring to. That line comes right after she says some shit about Noh-Varr dancing around to old music. The way it's written makes it sound like she's saying that's all she wants, making her seem totally neutered and not ambitious at all(which we know she is). Shitty line, why you heff to be mad?

Ok, I see the line now. She's just being sexually liberated bro.

And I'm not mad, I'm sad because this is the only comic I want forever and I know it's gonna get shitcanned in 6 months because I'm defending it from all angles for some of the stupidest reasons. It's like you guys are lining up to kick me in the nuts. :(

Nobody hates that they're gay. There are plenty of awesome gay characters in comics. We hate them because they are boring, uninteresting characters with lame-ass powers. Killing them off would make the needle move less than when they killed off Goliath.

frye

It doesn't really come off as that to me. The idea isn't "Kate Bishop has no aspirations other than watching sexy boys dancing half-naked", it's "this seemingly minor moment is one of complete content". There are moments like that, y'know? Where everything's just...right.

Acid08

Banned
It doesn't really come off as that to me. The idea isn't "Kate Bishop has no aspirations other than watching sexy boys dancing half-naked", it's "this seemingly minor moment is one of complete content". There are moments like that, y'know? Where everything's just...right.
I get it but it didn't come across as that to me. Super cheesy imo.

kswiston

I don't hate Wiccan and Hulkling, but they are the least interesting members of the cast, and have already been in the focus of YA since the back part of the first volume. It would have been nice if this series started off with a different focus. Maybe that will be the case going forward, but Wiccan and Hulkling got more screen time than the other four characters combined in issue 1.

LiQuid!

I don't hate Wiccan and Hulkling, but they are the least interesting members of the cast, and have already been in the focus of YA since the back part of the first volume. It would have been nice if this series started off with a different focus. Maybe that will be the case going forward, but Wiccan and Hulkling got more screen time than the other four characters combined in issue 1.

A. They have to fill the diversity quota with Eli benched
2. They're scene lead directly to what appears to be the main source of conflict for the first arc.
d. As I mentioned before that scene was necessary to put all the emo Billy shit to rest. I don't expect them to be making lovey dovey faces at each other and making out in every future issue.

ElNarez

Banned
Yo, if you don't want teen drama in your superhero book, DO NOT BUY THE SUPERHERO BOOK ABOUT TEENS. Drama is an integral part of the fucking Teen Experience. It's part of the package. You want super happy brain dead punch time, get something else, there's probably a book for you, written by Scott Lobdell.

LiQuid!

Yo, if you don't want teen drama in your superhero book, DO NOT BUY THE SUPERHERO BOOK ABOUT TEENS. Drama is an integral part of the fucking Teen Experience. It's part of the package. You want super happy brain dead punch time, get something else, there's probably a book for you, written by Scott Lobdell.

It's truth but it hurts. I would love for a GOOD Teen Titans to be happening right now. DC is squandering the hell out of their teen heroes at the moment.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

You are just an adorable bundle of rage aren't you?

NO. Lobdell's Generation X is one of my favourite books ever and it's a master class on how to write a good teen super hero book. Wiccan and Hulkling are BALLS. Nothing will change these 2 facts.

I liked Young Avengers, still. 4/6 good characters is decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom