• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Just finished up Green Lantern: New Guardians #16. The last few panels so good. My boy Kyle! :-D My boy Ganthet. :-(

I gotta feeling Ganthet is gonna get
redeemed, although the rest of the Guardians can burn
The page where Kyle
goes all White Lantern
was so great.

I gotta feeling Ganthet is gonna get
redeemed, although the rest of the Guardians can burn
The page where Kyle
goes all White Lantern
was so great.

I have a similar feeling about the future of Ganthet and the Guardians. Specifically,
The Guardians are going to die except for Ganthet and the First Lanterns Guardian jailers will replace the old Guard.

I've always loved the Kyle/Ganthet bromance.

tim1138

I have a similar feeling about the future of Ganthet and the Guardians. Specifically,
The Guardians are going to die except for Ganthet and the First Lanterns Guardian jailers will replace the old Guard.

I've always loved the Kyle/Ganthet bromance.

Yeah, that's exactly how I see it playing out as well.

tim1138

Are any of the Marvel Noir comics any good? They are on sale in this week's Marvel Mondays on Comixology

I really liked the Spidey series, but it's also the only one I've read.

-edit-

Huh, I had no idea Scott Snyder wrote the Iron Man series.

arkon

The amazon, best buy, and wal mart reviews all average 2 stars for a reason. You kind of get advertised a full feature with three accompanying shorts. The packaging is misleading and it was an impulse buy. So lesson learned. But then again you are the biggest joke on this thread so I'm not surprised it was you who responded.

Tell me how awesome young avengers is going to be! That's what we all want to read about. What's that you say? Young Avengers sucked? Gillien is weak sauce? Everyone's had enough of Hulkling and his super hip gay love one dimensional romance? Its not edgy and hip anymore? No wonder you're always on edge and pissy here. Keep being sunshine bro! You'll get far in life!

Just catching up on this thread. Dude, you totally lost it. Nothing in krypt0nian's reply warranted this kind of shit. WTF

I hope the TDK movies are better than Year One. I was so excited for that cause I love Year One and that movie just did not deliver.

Shame WB doesn't want to make any non-Supes/Bats movies. Would love a good Flash or Aquaman movie. Or another Wonder Woman.

Superman/batman apocalypse was a Wonder Woman movie!!

Blader

I hope the TDK movies are better than Year One. I was so excited for that cause I love Year One and that movie just did not deliver.

Shame WB doesn't want to make any non-Supes/Bats movies. Would love a good Flash or Aquaman movie. Or another Wonder Woman.

Part 1 was really great. I think most of the DC animated movies range from bland to outright bad, with only a couple of them being actually good, but DKR pt. 1 was one of the good ones.

Part 1 was really great. I think most of the DC animated movies range from bland to outright bad, with only a couple of them being actually good, but DKR pt. 1 was one of the good ones.

What Bizarro World do you come from where DC animation is bad?

DC animated is unarguably one of the places where DC shines above the rest.

Blader

What Bizarro World do you come from where DC animation is bad?

DC animated is unarguably one of the places where DC shines above the rest.

I'm talking about the movies they've released over the last few years, not the full series like B:TAS, JL/JLU, etc.

I guess they're better than the Marvel animated movies (I don't think I've ever watched any of them though), but judged as movies, most of them aren't good at all.

boinx

I'm talking about the movies they've released over the last few years, not the full series like B:TAS, JL/JLU, etc.

I guess they're better than the Marvel animated movies (I don't think I've ever watched any of them though), but judged as movies, most of them aren't good at all.

Whats wrong with them

kswiston

Seriously, that rant and the subsequent attacks by Fantomex blew my mind.

I think some of Comics GAF needs to accept that people can have different tastes and likes than you without being your enemy. You also don't have to swear a blood feud when you are called out for some mistaken statement you made.

The DC animated movies have been 50/50 for me, but I haven't seen may of the films yet. I liked Under the Red Hood and Superman vs the Elite. JLA: Doom was ok, and I disliked the Superman/Batman Apocalypse movie based on Loeb's Supergirl story arc. I haven't seen the rest yet.

Even if the movies aren't great 100% of the time, I really like the concept of the DC original animation line in that they are all pretty faithfully based on stories from the comic books. Marvel should do the same.

I just really love the original Allan Heinberg run (Along with his Justice League arc with Johns and his show The O.C.). I haven't read anything since like Children's Crusade or the new stuff. I want to though.

Childrens Crusade dragged for me. Which in part was due to the bi monthly shipping schedule.

But also I feel like they needed to end every issue in the exact same way (
Full Page Character Reveal cliffhanger!!!
) so that everyone's memory would have something to latch onto when the new issue came out. That got a little boring/predictable.

tim1138

I think some of Comics GAF needs to accept that people can have different tastes and likes than you without being your enemy. You also don't have to swear a blood feud when you are called out for some mistaken statement you made.

The DC animated movies have been 50/50 for me, but I haven't seen may of the films yet. I liked Under the Red Hood and Superman vs the Elite. JLA: Doom was ok, and I disliked the Superman/Batman Apocalypse movie based on Loeb's Supergirl story arc. I haven't seen the rest yet.

Even if the movies aren't great 100% of the time, I really like the concept of the DC original animation line in that they are all pretty faithfully based on stories from the comic books. Marvel should do the same.

Agreed, people take differing opinions way too seriously in here.

Back to the DC DTV movies, you owe it to yourself to check out Wonder Woman, it's easily the best of the bunch. I really like New Frontier a lot as well, but I'm biased because the source material is one of my favorite things ever. Long live Darwyn Cooke! The shorts collection isn't bad either, the Superman/Shazam one is fun and there is a very cool Spectre short as well.

I also recommend embracing your hyperbole. Works for me. Keeps you from ever taking things too super seriously and keeps you always in love with the things you love, heart too busy to really go after someone else too hard for not liking what you do.

Acid08

Banned
I also recommend embracing your hyperbole. Works for me. Keeps you from ever taking things too super seriously and keeps you always in love with the things you love, heart too busy to really go after someone else too hard for not liking what you do.
But it pisses me off that almost no one else is reading Chew! YOU PEOPLE ARE WORSE THAN SATAN.

8bit

Knows the Score
But it pisses me off that almost no one else is reading Chew! YOU PEOPLE ARE WORSE THAN SATAN.

I read the first two arcs, but fell away from it for some reason. Should I make the effort to go back to it?

And in unrelated news, I finally got round to reading Saga. Man, that's good funnybook.

kswiston

It's on my backlist of things to eventually buy.

I finally started read Fear Agent. Since the book doesn't seem to be in stock in most places, I just bought the first few collections digitally from Dark Horse's site. Prices seem to be OK. I think it works out to $2 or less an issue which is about the same as the TPBs.

Anyhow, I am liking the book so far. Didn't really love the first issue or two, but the plot starts to ramp up quickly and the book has a ton of cool moments. Unfortunately, I don't really like Heath. Never been a fan of that character archetype, so it is hard to root for him. I suppose that is sort of the point though.

It's sort of crazy how unrecognizable Jerome Opena's style is in the Fear Agent issues he penciled. I realize that he was probably aping Tony Moore to give the book some visual consistency, but his Uncanny X-Force and Avengers stuff is on a completely different level. Dude really stepped up his game.

Agreed, people take differing opinions way too seriously in here.

Back to the DC DTV movies, you owe it to yourself to check out Wonder Woman, it's easily the best of the bunch. I really like New Frontier a lot as well, but I'm biased because the source material is one of my favorite things ever. Long live Darwyn Cooke! The shorts collection isn't bad either, the Superman/Shazam one is fun and there is a very cool Spectre short as well.

I am hoping that some of the earlier movies show up on Netflix. I still have Batman: Year One and All-Star Superman to watch, but after that maybe I will look up some the other movies on one of the digital rental services. Up until this point, I had read all of the original comics that these movies were based on. That won't be the case with Wonder Woman and a few others. I wonder if that will hurt my enjoyment of the films.

The All-Star Supes movie is so awful.

29255701.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm trying to channel my inner Buddah to keep calm in the face of your awful taste.

Strike me down. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant.

Onemic

Talking about favourite superheroes in the BCT has made me interested in comics once again. One of my favourite superheroes was always Spawn partially because of how mature his storyline was when I was a kid. I never read the comics, but caught the animated show from time to time no understanding what the hell was going on.

Well that discussion brought back all those memories again and now I'm knee deep using my trusty wikipedia to study a bunch of shit related to Spawn and comics in general. I currently have Spawn Origins shipping to my place from Amazon and depending on how into I am I'll buy the rest, as well as delve into some of the other highly regarded comics(Dark Knight Returns and Batman Year one specifically).

Can anyone in comic gaf help me in terms of where to get started with this whole comic book thing? From Spawn, I began looking into Image comics and they seem pretty cool and I hear that Saga comic is supposed to be good as well. Is there a highly regarded series for Spider-man(or x-men) that's the equivalent of Dark Knight Returns in terms of critical and fan reception? Besides Spawn and Batman he's my favourite superhero. What are some of comic gafs essential must have comics/graphic novels for newcomers?

Talking about favourite superheroes in the BCT has made me interested in comics once again. One of my favourite superheroes was always Spawn partially because of how mature his storyline was when I was a kid. I never read the comics, but caught the animated show from time to time no understanding what the hell was going on.

Well that discussion brought back all those memories again and now I'm knee deep using my trusty wikipedia to study a bunch of shit related to Spawn and comics in general. I currently have Spawn Origins shipping to my place from Amazon and depending on how into I am I'll buy the rest, as well as delve into some of the other highly regarded comics(Dark Knight Returns and Batman Year one specifically).

Can anyone in comic gaf help me in terms of where to get started with this whole comic book thing? From Spawn, I began looking into Image comics and they seem pretty cool and I hear that Saga comic is supposed to be good as well. Is there a highly regarded series for Spider-man(or x-men) that's the equivalent of Dark Knight Returns in terms of critical and fan reception? Besides Spawn and Batman he's my favourite superhero.

You'd probably really dig Kraven's Last Hunt. It's a smidge lighter weight than DKR, but it's pretty renowned for its time.

Also, if you dig Spawn, dig up the McFarlane/Micheline Spider-Man storyline introducing Venom. Classic stuff. Again, lighterweight fare than DKR, but still good.

If you want storylines at that level of accomplishment, but still in the realm of Superheroes:
Morrison's run on New X-Men
Bendis/Maleev's run on Daredevil
are good places to start.

If you feel like picking up Image monthlies, their best current title is Nowhere Men, which is only up to #2, so it'll be easy to catch up and keep up with.

Parch

Has the comic fanbase haterade switched from Marvel vs DC to superhero vs non-superhero?

My allegiance has slowly evolved into indie rocks, capes blow, but quitting those darn superheroes is like breaking an addiction.

Has the comic fanbase haterade switched from Marvel vs DC to superhero vs non-superhero?

My allegiance has slowly evolved into indie rocks, capes blow, but quitting those darn superheroes is like breaking an addiction.

My biggest issue with indie books is the lack of a shared world. I like that all the books I get exist in the same canon. Remove that and my interest wanes and it takes a really good title to overcome it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom