• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the comic fanbase haterade switched from Marvel vs DC to superhero vs non-superhero?

My allegiance has slowly evolved into indie rocks, capes blow, but quitting those darn superheroes is like breaking an addiction.

Thanks to Collector's Comics in Wantagh and a friend who introduced me to Cerebus in High School, I've never delineated between the two.

Good is good.

tim1138

If you don't follow their individual threads, both Young Justice and Green Lantern: the Animated Series were canceled. Once they finish out their current runs they're done.

Onemic

You'd probably really dig Kraven's Last Hunt. It's a smidge lighter weight than DKR, but it's pretty renowned for its time.

Also, if you dig Spawn, dig up the McFarlane/Micheline Spider-Man storyline introducing Venom. Classic stuff. Again, lighterweight fare than DKR, but still good.

If you want storylines at that level of accomplishment, but still in the realm of Superheroes:
Morrison's run on New X-Men
Bendis/Maleev's run on Daredevil
are good places to start.

If you feel like picking up Image monthlies, their best current title is Nowhere Men, which is only up to #2, so it'll be easy to catch up and keep up with.

Is there a collection for that story arc, or is it all just single issues?

Talking about favourite superheroes in the BCT has made me interested in comics once again. One of my favourite superheroes was always Spawn partially because of how mature his storyline was when I was a kid. I never read the comics, but caught the animated show from time to time no understanding what the hell was going on.

Well that discussion brought back all those memories again and now I'm knee deep using my trusty wikipedia to study a bunch of shit related to Spawn and comics in general. I currently have Spawn Origins shipping to my place from Amazon and depending on how into I am I'll buy the rest, as well as delve into some of the other highly regarded comics(Dark Knight Returns and Batman Year one specifically).

Can anyone in comic gaf help me in terms of where to get started with this whole comic book thing? From Spawn, I began looking into Image comics and they seem pretty cool and I hear that Saga comic is supposed to be good as well. Is there a highly regarded series for Spider-man(or x-men) that's the equivalent of Dark Knight Returns in terms of critical and fan reception? Besides Spawn and Batman he's my favourite superhero. What are some of comic gafs essential must have comics/graphic novels for newcomers?

My two favourite recent X-Men collections:

X-Men: Supernovas

X-Men: Age of X

Can someone tell me what´s the difference between Teen Titans and Young Justice? There´s are a lot of members who are part of the 2 groups.

nothing really. In the comics all the Teen Titans were older and were the Titans so when the new kids (Tim,Conner, Cassie and Bart and some others) made a team they called it Young Justice.

sooooooo rigged
KuGsj.gif

soon as the X-boards found out how to vote multiple times, it was ovah

akira28

nope. no idea who she is. I would have thought ShadowCat or Storm. Sage is the most iconic?

You think maybe they picked her for variety?

edit:
isn't sage a 4chan thing?

edit 2: hah marrow sucks. as a design, I mean. what the hell were they thinking?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Sage is also in 3rd place in the LEAST favorite poll. I'm going to consider these non-scientific.

Wednesday's Marvel releases. I'm getting the bolded.

Avengers #4
Dark Avengers #186
Hawkeye #7
Journey into Mystery #648
Punisher: Nightmare #5
Punisher War Zone #4
Superior Spider-Man #2
X-Men Legacy #5
X-Treme X-Men #9

Troll

Banned
Wednesday's Marvel releases. I'm getting the bolded.

Avengers #4
Dark Avengers #186
Hawkeye #7
Journey into Mystery #648
Punisher: Nightmare #5
Punisher War Zone #4
Superior Spider-Man #2
X-Men Legacy #5
X-Treme X-Men #9

Legacy is good after a slow start. We have the same list except swap Hawkeye with Spidey.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
What is Dark Avengers? Some relaunched Bendis shit?

Sage was part of Exiles/New Exiles!!!

liqid! said:
What is Dark Avengers? Some relaunched Bendis shit?

Jeff PArkers(awesome run) thunderbolts was renamed to dark avengers. unless a new series was annoucned that i dont know of.

LiQuid!

So there's technically 2 Thunderbolts comics out there now? Who are the characters in it? I guess I'll flip through it.

Oh God. Is Sage like Marvel's version of Cassandra / Stephanie? If so, fuck those people.

Also. Holy fuck. The disconnect between how nice the Captain Marvel cover looks and the puke inside is staggering. @.@

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Sage was part of Exiles/New Exiles!!!

Really wanted to like New Exiles, but man Claremont just did weird stuff with the alt universe concept for the sake of being weird. "So this is this universe's Gambit, cajun speaking son of a black Namor and Sue Storm, sporting a powerset that roughly combines the latter's powers." Wait, how is this Gambit?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Oh yeah, by the way, CBR's favourite female X-Man poll is finished and the winner is................

SAGE

Yes, that's right.

Suck it.

Landslide victory. 24% of the vote.

They have a least favourite female X-Man poll going on right now. Go vote!
for Dazzler

damn. emma and jean are neck and neck on the second one.

the funny thing is, as much as i couldnt pick a favorite, i struggled to pick one i liked the least as well. so i picked hope.

Wool

I posted in here asking for recommendations as a comics newcomer about two weeks ago. So far I've read:

Chew (#1-15)
Ex Machina (#1-5)
Ronin
Saga (#1-6)
WE3

All of it was awesome except for Chew. Two of these being Brian K Vaughan, I plan on seeking out more of his stuff. WE3 was great, I wish it was longer. Saga is amazing and I plan on subscribing. I also ordered #0 and #1 of Black Beetle just because it gets mentioned in this thread so much.

Are there any ongoing science fiction comics I could catch up on that you guys would recommend? I saw "Prophet" mentioned a couple times, but I was confused about the TPB starting on issue 20-something.

Also, the library has a few random Hellblazer trade paper backs that are not listed as specific volumes. Is that an ongoing story or are they all stand-alone? What is the difference between the upcoming Constantine and the current comic? I flipped through one of the books and I really like that kind of campy art style, but the order I should read them in is confusing.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Highly recommend the rest of Ex Machina. Runaways is also extremely solid. Drop it the second you reach his last issue on it though.

frye

Are there any ongoing science fiction comics I could catch up on that you guys would recommend? I saw "Prophet" mentioned a couple times, but I was confused about the TPB starting on issue 20-something.

Prophet was relaunched as an ongoing starting at issue 21. Issues 1-20 are an old Rob Liefeld property from the 90's. You don't need any of that going in.

LiQuid!

Planetoid is another GAF darling. I don't love it as much as some but it's got stellar art. Worth a read.

X-O Manowar is well received. I liked the first issue a lot but have yet to read more.

Brian Wood's new Star Wars was well liked as well. Haven't read it.

Parch

I'm surprised WE3 never got a sequel. Is there some comic politics preventing this? You'd think the universal praise would be an obvious for another mini or maybe even an ongoing.

frye

I'm surprised WE3 never got a sequel. Is there some comic politics preventing this? You'd think the universal praise would be an obvious for another mini or maybe even an ongoing.

Quitely does like, 3 or 4 issues a year at most. Guy's gotta eat.

Besides that, WE3 is perfect as is.

I found it a bit boring for a Star Wars first issue.

Wood is really hit or miss for me.

It's really not fair to him but I always think of Wood as a BKV-lite.

Are Northlanders and Conan good? I want to read both of them. I mean from when Wood started writing Conan.
Conan under Wood has been pretty iffy in my opinion. Every story arc so far has started strong, dragged through the middle, then finished strong enough to keep me buying for another day. The artwork can be just as iffy too; the Giorello days have been sorely missed.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK a little late coming off my ban, but let me just say:

Young Avengers: pretty meh first issue, but Phonogram: The Singles Club took a few issues to get going, and that last issue pretty much elevated the entire book to god-tier status, so i'm going to stick with this.

Uncanny Avengers: what a joke

WATXM: back on track, but it's too late for me. i don't care. too many other books to buy.

Avengers: THANK YOU BASED HICKMAN. Glad to see Shang Chi get some spot light with the bad ass Aleph kill. White Event confirmed, going to be awesome. Can't wait to see Thor and the lady in black get it on.

FF: really promising stuff, excited to read more of this!

Prophet: now that the stage has been set, i really enjoy reading this every month. radical art as well.

Still have to read Chew & Witch Doctor but i know they're probably awesome so I want to wait til i'm real bored one day to read them.

LiQuid!

Avengers: THANK YOU BASED HICKMAN. Glad to see Shang Chi get some spot light with the bad ass Aleph kill. White Event confirmed, going to be awesome. Can't wait to see Thor and the lady in black get it on.

Was that the best shit in comics last week or what?

Avengers is really strange. The storyline, art style, and lineup is not what I expected from Marvel especially after Bendis's successful run and the movie being a huge hit. To me it reads like an indie book that happens to have Cap and iron man in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom