• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Avengers is really strange. The storyline, art style, and lineup is not what I expected from Marvel especially after Bendis's successful run and the movie being a huge hit. To me it reads like an indie book that happens to have Cap and iron man in it.

What indie books do you read bro. Gimme lynx so I can checkem.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Avengers is really strange. The storyline, art style, and lineup is not what I expected from Marvel especially after Bendis's successful run and the movie being a huge hit. To me it reads like an indie book that happens to have Cap and iron man in it.

I'm glad we're getting this rather than stuff like Bendis on Avengers Assemble style movie friendly stuff as the main book. Feels like the creators have quite a bit of rope at Marvel, whereas at DC they have to rewrite entire plots when an editor sneezes.

So just bought RASL Vol. 1-3 and Madman Part 1 on Comixicology any other suggestions for Independent works. I've already read American Vampire, Transmetropolitan, Fear Agent, Bone, Last Days of Crime, Saga, some of Preacher, Ex Machina, The Goon and Scalped.

I really like the huge cast and heavy science-fiction/cosmic tone of the book so far but I think it will all read better for me in trade.

What I don't get is that Hickman said Avengers and New Avengers were going to be two sides of the same story arc but Avengers was about a group of beings who go from planet to planet trying to recreate it and if they fail they just destroy it while New Avengers there trying to stop the Anti-Monitor from collapsing the Marvel Multiverse while also interrogating his harbringer Black Swan. Not sure how they are connected.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
What I don't get is that Hickman said Avengers and New Avengers were going to be two sides of the same story arc but Avengers was about a group of beings who go from planet to planet trying to recreate it and if they fail they just destroy it while New Avengers there trying to stop the Anti-Monitor from collapsing the Marvel Multiverse while also interrogating his harbringer Black Swan. Not sure how they are connected.

Hickman Long Game.... shit's gonna take a minute

Blader

Avengers just introduced beings who create life on planets. New Avengers introduced beings who destroy life/planets. Avengers #3 ends with
Cap and Tony characterized as two men who represent life and death, respectively.
Seems to me that there's a life life/death, create/destroy duality that will be a major throughline in both books.

Troll

Banned
Speculation for the villain in Uncanny X-Men. Bendis said that it's a bad guy that's new to the X-Men... Do you think it could be
Jackal?

Those DC tidbits by Liefeld are bullshit. Brah didn't know shit about next months wave. There will be surprising books next wave, there always have been. And J'onn is getting a backup in JLA.

Onemic

Need a few tips on some comics that look interesting to me so far. How are these titles:

Uncanny X-Force
X-Force
Uncanny X-men: Dark Phoenix Saga
Age of Apocalypse
Ultimate Comics Spiderman
Spidermen
Venom (vol.2)
Phonogram vol. 1 & 2
Fatale
Prophet
Glory

kmfdmpig

Those DC tidbits by Liefeld are bullshit. Brah didn't know shit about next months wave. There will be surprising books next wave, there always have been. And J'onn is getting a backup in JLA.

And what does he mean by DC Comics Presents? Why cancel DC Universe Presents to roll out DC Comics Presents? That seems a bit silly.

kswiston

Need a few tips on some comics that look interesting to me so far. How are these titles:

Uncanny X-Force - Great. One of the best Marvel series of the new Millenium
X-Force - Which version?
Uncanny X-men: Dark Phoenix Saga - A classic
Age of Apocalypse - the 90s crossover? A 90s comic, but I liked it.
Venom (vol.2) - If this is the current series, the first few story arcs by Rick Remender are great. Drop after that.

The stuff I read.

Uncanny X-Force
X-Force
Age of Apocalypse
Spidermen
Venom (vol.2)
Phonogram vol. 1 & 2
Fatale
Prophet
Glory

Bolded the great ones I've read

-Mikey-

just go ahead and bump this all the way to the top of the reading list. Fatale & Prophet are both very good so far - but it's tough to recommend them over Phonogram vol 2 which is complete and amazing.

Might as well add Glory to the list since it's ending in 2-3 issues.

jon bones

i'm an idiot for not including uncanny x-force on my little list.

it's pretty self contained, if you know a little bit about the x-men's history you should be fine.

Onemic

Thanks for the suggestions

Are the x-men issues(Not sure which comic) that feature onslaught any good?

Who's the writers/artists on it? Avoid anything from Christopher Yost and Craig Kyle. Everyone else is great.

They're in volume 3, so 1 and 2 definitely doesn't have them on it

jon bones

Thanks for the suggestions

Are the x-men issues(Not sure which comic) that feature onslaught any good?

eh, not really. if you want to read the best of the x-men, the trilogy to get is:

morrison's new x-men
whedon's astonishing x-men
remender's uncanny x-force

Acid08

Banned
Bought this set today

lego-76000-batman-aquaman-on-ice-super-heroes.jpg

Goddamn beautiful.

Who's the writers/artists on it? Avoid anything from Christopher Yost and Craig Kyle. Everyone else is great.
Uhh no, X-Force v.3 from Yost/Kyle was aces. That series brought me fully back into the fold of the X-Family, and it was a recommended book before Remender took over with UXF.

Is this still because of the New X-Men massacre?

SRG01

Uncanny X-Force
X-Force
Age of Apocalypse
Spidermen
Venom (vol.2)
Phonogram vol. 1 & 2
Fatale
Prophet
Glory

There's no Hawkeye on this list.