• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

I don't mean to come off as much of a hater. I do appreciate the overall background. But characters themselves just squick me.

reason I asked about Captain Marvel is that the art in there gave me the same vibe. They aren't the same but both have the "As long as it's vaguely a human its good enough" quality to it (to me).

I think it's the cheeks...

I'm right there with you on Capt Marvel.

What do you think of Nick Pitarra's work on Manhattan Projects?

It's not like I ain't tried to read other ones

It's not like that

I'm not targeting you. Just speaking in general. Snyders Batman is regarded as one of DCs best books almost universally. Even Batman and Robin has gotten consistent praise. Batwoman, despite a few bumps, is consistently gorgeous.

You can not be into them personally but many of the Bat Family books are good.

Need a few tips on some comics that look interesting to me so far. How are these titles:

Uncanny X-Force
X-Force
Uncanny X-men: Dark Phoenix Saga
Age of Apocalypse
Ultimate Comics Spiderman
Spidermen
Venom (vol.2)
Phonogram vol. 1 & 2
Fatale
Prophet
Glory

Give image some love. Those are the best books on your list. All have at least 1 trade out too.

I can't wait till Batman Inc is done and I can read the whole thing straight through.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Invincible #100 and Batman Incorporated tomorrow.

Yep, it's a good week.

Dysun

Batman inc is the only batmaan comic worth reading

znp1E.gif

ElNarez

Banned
Has Detective Comics under Layman increased in quality? I heard bad things about it before.

Layman's Tec is pretty fun, and it's got some neat ideas. It got caught up in DOTF, but it managed to bring some thunder, and it's got interesting set-up for the post-event status quo.

Seeing everyone talk about Batman suddenly has me thinking, "okay, maybe I shouldn't have scrapped that 'Bullhorn' segment I was working on for something less provocative." Alas...

tim1138

Jaded ass Marvel fanboys are the only ones who would think Batman Inc is, quote "The only Batman book worth reading".

Yay generalizations! I pull like 20 titles a month, only one of which is Marvel. In fact, I'd say 17 of those 20 are DC titles. People are allowed to like different stuff than each other, crazy as that may seem in this thread.

Onemic

Spawn Origins vo.1 HC
Hellspawn: Complete Collection HC
Saga vol. 1 TP
One Trick Rip-Off / Deep Cuts HC

Tomorrow I should be getting:

Glory Volume 1: The Once and Future Destroyer TP
Uncanny X-Force: Apocalypse Solution HC

Should keep me busy for quite a while. If I really like em I'll probably get Venom(vol.2), Phonogram vol. 2, Prophet, and Batman after.

tim1138

Spawn Origins vo.1 HC
Saga vol. 1 TP

Should keep me busy for quite a while. If I really like em I'll probably get Venom(vol.2), Phonogram vol. 2, Prophet, and Batman after.

Phonogram is like the best series ever. Singles Club (vol 2) is so ridiculously good it's not fair to other comics.

Onemic

Phonogram is like the best series ever. Singles Club (vol 2) is so ridiculously good it's not fair to other comics.

I don't even know what it's about, all I know is that its gotten crazy high reviews and I really dig the cover art.

Class, my dumbass Before Watchmen thread is in Limbo, so let's discuss the ish here. Len Wein using Ozymandias to address the fact Alan Moore took the ending of Watchmen from an old episode of The Outer Limit. Thoughts. I'm all for it. If we're not gonna treat Moore with any sort of reverence whatsoever, might as well go for it and start calling him out on the dumb shit he wrote. And I know that it being so fucking stupid is part of the point. But it's a thing that needs to be addressed. DISCUSSION BEGINS NOW OKAY THANKS.

But I thought Alan Moore was a god among comic book fans

ElNarez

Banned
Class, my dumbass Before Watchmen thread is in Limbo, so let's discuss the ish here. Len Wein using Ozymandias to address the fact Alan Moore took the ending of Watchmen from an old episode of The Outer Limit. Thoughts. I'm all for it. If we're not gonna treat Moore with any sort of reverence whatsoever, might as well go for it and start calling him out on the dumb shit he wrote. And I know that it being so fucking stupid is part of the point. But it's a thing that needs to be addressed. DISCUSSION BEGINS NOW OKAY THANKS.

Before Watchmen tarnishing the original?

My chair has disintegrated from the speed and velocity at which I was blown out of my seat in shock.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Before Watchmen has just sucked. People would've gotten over the treading on Alan Moore's work if the books had been any damn good. But they're all garbage that serve as nothing more than "HEY KIDS REMEMBER RORSCHACH! HERE HE IS!" You can almost hear that canned applause behind the background of every book.

The only one approaching readable is Dr. Manhattan, but even that one gets bogged down with nonsense subplotting and eye-rolling tie-ins with the main book.

There are stories to tell about the Watchmen universe. These are not them though.

Quake1028

I have been moving through some graphic novels. We3 was amazing. That was some pretty haunting stuff, I really was happy they ended it like they did. Any other way and I think I might have had some wetness in my eyes ;).

Hulk Smash Avengers was pretty good, but pretty much a cocktease. Every time a story got going, it was over. I enjoyed the first issue with the 60's Avengers much more. Thor is my favorite Avenger and maybe favorite Marvel character, so that explains why I liked that issue so much.

Batman: Cacophony was a pretty big letdown. The art sucked, and the story wasn't that compelling. I love Kevin Smith, but this wasn't right for him. It was only 3 issues so it wasn't offensive or anything, but it was pretty much a waste of time.

ElNarez

Banned
Before Watchmen has just sucked. People would've gotten over the treading on Alan Moore's work if the books had been any damn good. But they're all garbage that serve as nothing more than "HEY KIDS REMEMBER RORSCHACH! HERE HE IS!" You can almost hear that canned applause behind the background of every book.

The only one approaching readable is Dr. Manhattan, but even that one gets bogged down with nonsense subplotting and eye-rolling tie-ins with the main book.

There are stories to tell about the Watchmen universe. These are not them though.

Uh. Minutemen and Silk Spectre are goddamn clinics on comic storytelling that you should probably read if you enjoy good things. You said your piece on Doctor Manhattan, and I would mostly agree with it, though JMS has been pretty clever with the narrative, and Hughes is being Hughes. Ozymandias has Jae Lee taking his game to the next level while Wein goes through the motions, which is actually appropriate for once. Only Rorschach and Comedian are truly uninspired, though Comedian's been getting better.

The less said about Nite Owl, the better, though. God damn that was embarrassing.

tim1138

Uh. Minutemen and Silk Spectre are goddamn clinics on comic storytelling that you should probably read if you enjoy good things. You said your piece on Doctor Manhattan, and I would mostly agree with it, though JMS has been pretty clever with the narrative, and Hughes is being Hughes. Ozymandias has Jae Lee taking his game to the next level while Wein goes through the motions, which is actually appropriate for once. Only Rorschach and Comedian are truly uninspired, though Comedian's been getting better.

The less said about Nite Owl, the better, though. God damn that was embarrassing.

Isn't Darwyn Cooke involved with Minutemen and Silk Spectre?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Spawn Origins vo.1 HC
Saga vol. 1 TP

you're gonna love UXF, and we'll all be able to drool over Saga every month.

Phonogram vol 2 will blow you away, if you like dating and music and dancing.

Also, since we're on DC and my shattered expectations, Threshold was so disappointing.

I still need to read it but I'm not surprised. Few comics seem able to handle cosmic very well. And by Cosmic I mean anything besides a big bad from outer space. It's easy to do a Darkseid or Thanos. It's harder to invent worlds and a galactic culture. On DC side only Green Lantern and Legion really handle it with any real care and even then it can be a crapshoot.

Blader

haha, don't ever disparage someone else's taste in comics ever again. Calling JMS clever *especially* in the context of Before Watchmen is fucking stupefying.

(Who cares if Moore stole from an episode of The Outer Limits? That's not news or something Moore himself hasn't already admitted to. Wein is a shitty writer and his Ozymandias book is pretty awful, so again, who cares.)

ElNarez

Banned
hahahaha, holy shit, somebody ban this guy from ever disparaging someone else's taste in comics ever again. Calling JMS clever *especially* in the context of Before Watchmen is fucking stupefying.

Dude. These are facts you need to deal with. I know that both Before Watchmen and JMS earned a good chunk of the torrent of crap you and others have been dumping on it, but Doctor Manhattan is actually playing around with the concept of linear time in cool and interesting ways. It doesn't make Before Watchmen any less a shameless cash grab. It doesn't make Superman: Earth One any less some of the stupidest shit ever put to print. Should your knees become more jerky, Macho Man Randy Savage's ghost will come back to life and get people to snap into them.

Owzers

reading through Bendis' second volume recent Avengers trade...definitely worse than the first. The issue that is narrated by the watcher is especially painful.

damn, holy fuck at Injustice #3

Joker used kryptonite with Scarecrows fear gas on Superman so he thought Lois(she's pregnant) was Doomsday so he beat on her and took her to space. Not only that but Joker put something on her to monitor her heartbeat tied to a nuke so when it stopped a nuke went off in Metropolis.

WHAT

also Harley looks like a Twi'lek

ElNarez

Banned
Okay, fuck you Alan Moore, Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow just got upstaged big for most needlessly cruel elaborate thing to ever happen to Superman. You just got beaten by a videogame tie-in book. HAR HAR ALAN. HAR DE FUCKING HAR.

I don't give too much of a damn about Watchmen, but I've kinda just blocked that whole Before Watchmen thing out of my head. The whole thing seemed disgusting to me.

Onemic! Welcome to the brood, brother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom