• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit this bad. Bad, bd, bad. It's like it is written by Tony Daniel. I don't need to go through such horrors on the day of th death of Young Justice and Green Lantern.

Uhh no, X-Force v.3 from Yost/Kyle was aces. That series brought me fully back into the fold of the X-Family, and it was a recommended book before Remender took over with UXF.

Is this still because of the New X-Men massacre?

Nah, their New X-Men was actually decent, despite the shitty massacre. The problem with X-Force was that it was a no substance snuff-comic. They seemed to be obsessed with abusing and torturing X-23.

last question, Uncanny X-Force or Venom (vol. 2)?

Uncanny X-Force for sure.

Bought this set today

lego-76000-batman-aquaman-on-ice-super-heroes.jpg

Goddamn beautiful.

yup, bought that a couple weeks ago for Aquaman lol

surprise, surprise Captain Marvel being cancelled they sent that book off to die with the awful art. I never such a big difference between cover and interior art before. Cover=upbeat and bright interior=mud.

Pretty much. I still like captain marvel on the strength of the writing but it went from one shitty artist to another shitty artist. God that first issue with colored in line-y as fuck captain America really must have turned some people off.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Pretty but a little annoying, unless you think using "bro" three times per sentence is witty, in which case, GENIUS.

I'm sorry things go over your head. You must lead a tough life. :(

Those DC tidbits by Liefeld are bullshit. Brah didn't know shit about next months wave. There will be surprising books next wave, there always have been. And J'onn is getting a backup in JLA.

It's not bullshit

Jeff Lemiere is more than likely rebooting DC Presents because he has been posting pics of Kamandi, spectre, and several other random charecters on his twitter suggesting he's going to be writing an anthology book.

kswiston

For X-Force, it would be volumes 1 and 2.

I'm horrible with volume numbers since Marvel loves to relaunch stuff, but if X-Force vol 2 was Milligan and Allred, that book was really, really good. Not really an X-book like the others you listed, but it's own self contained thing. I liked X-Force as much as I liked Morrison's run when they were both being released.

EDIT: I just checked ComicbookDB. X-force vol 2 was some Liefeld mini. Skip that. Milligan/Allred run is vol. 1 from #116 to the end of the volume. It then continues in X-Statix

Thanks for the suggestions

Are the x-men issues(Not sure which comic) that feature onslaught any good?

Onslaught was very clearly a marketing gimmick first and a story second. If you are going to look at the big mid-late 90s X-book crossovers, I'd say it was Age of Apocalypse > Operation Zero Tolerance > Onslaught

frye

I'm horrible with volume numbers since Marvel loves to relaunch stuff, but if X-Force vol 2 was Milligan and Allred, that book was really, really good. Not really an X-book like the others you listed, but it's own self contained thing. I liked X-Force as much as I liked Morrison's run when they were both being released.

EDIT: I just checked ComicDB. X-force vol 2 was some Liefeld mini. Skip that. Milligan/Allred run is vol. 1 from #116 to the end of the volume. It then continues in X-Statix

I'm about 99% sure he's talking about the Kyle/Yost Stabby X-Men/can't see shit cuz it's so fuckin dark run.

Bought this set today

lego-76000-batman-aquaman-on-ice-super-heroes.jpg

Goddamn beautiful.

Nice nice... I kinda want that Aquaman minifig too... Have to hunt for different hair though, as I'm not digging Arthur's hair too much.

I remember modding my Lego Hawkeye with hair from the tennis player minifig, it makes a world of difference really.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Are any of you guys all digital? I want to do that but I don't want to leave my shop without the business.

See if they have a digital storefront thru Comixology. If they do they get a cut off all your purchases if you do it through them. It's not a big cut, but they should be thankful that you haven't just abandoned them altogether.

Troll

Banned
See if they have a digital storefront thru Comixology. If they do they get a cut off all your purchases if you do it through them. It's not a big cut, but they should be thankful that you haven't just abandoned them altogether.

Now that you mention it I think they do have one. I'll probably still get trades there but I hate to bag and board everything and find space. Reading on the iPad is fine or on one of my laptops even.

Acid08

Banned

My lcs has some kind of digital set up but fuck that garbage.

Beautiful bag and boarded floppies for life. THEY'LL BE THE CHILDREN I'M NEVER GOING TO HAVE.

TheWraith

Conan under Wood has been pretty iffy in my opinion. Every story arc so far has started strong, dragged through the middle, then finished strong enough to keep me buying for another day. The artwork can be just as iffy too; the Giorello days have been sorely missed.

I think, overall, Wood's Conan has been really strong although the changing artists per 3 issues is a bit of a drag. James Harren run was incredibly fantastic but Vasilis Lolos couldn't grab me at all in comparison. Really hope they can get Warren back later on down the line. The scripting itself is great stuff, especially if you appreciate the original Queen of the Black Coast story to see more stories within continuity with Belith.

Are there any current batman comics that are worth reading?

Almost all of the Bat titles are good. It comes down to what you are looking for / how much you are looking for.

Batman: Must get.
Batman and Robin: Must get. Get for Damian stories.
Dark Knight: Optional. Get for brutal Batman.
Detective Comics: Optional. Get for detective Batman.
Batwoman: Must get. Amazing art.
Talon: Must get. Awesome character inspired by the Court of Owls storyline.

Nightwing, Batgirl, and Red Hood are all optional but very good in different ways.

Acid08

Banned
Almost all of the Bat titles are good. It comes down to what you are looking for / how much you are looking for.

Nightwing, Batgirl, and Red Hood are all optional but very good in different ways.

Would it be possible for someone to jump into "new52" Inc?

Troll

Banned

Batman Inc. is my second best batman book. Its hard for for me to admit that with Morrison being the writer and all but I legitimately enjoy that storyline.

Would it be possible for someone to jump into "new52" Inc?

I can't comment completely as I've avoided Batman Inc, mostly due to the atrocious art. It's just below Captain Marvel in terms of WTF am I looking at?

But as far as I know, you SHOULD be able to jump in as long as you read up on the idea of Batman Inc, ie Bruce Wayne comes out as a financial supporter of Batman and recruits others across the world, you should be good.

This man speaks the truth. Inc is godly every single month.

Except for the art. The art is ass. Inconsistent facial structures. One panel Nightwing is chubby cheek, the next he is gaunt, the next he appears to be missing a cheek bone.

It feels like an artist who does a single pass, shrugs, and says "Good enough".

Guh. Just can't stand it.

ElNarez

Banned
Except for the art. The art is ass. Inconsistent facial structures. One panel Nightwing is chubby cheek, the next he is gaunt, the next he appears to be missing a cheek bone.

You're wrong. Chris Burnham is pop-art Frank Quitley. And he's excellent at it too. So, shut up.

tim1138

Wait what? People don't like Chris Burnham? I guess I can see his style being an acquired taste like Quitely. To each their own.

I'm stoked that Burnham is going to be at my local con this summer, gonna try and get a Batcow sketch.

You're wrong. Chris Burnham is pop-art Frank Quitley. And he's excellent at it too. So, shut up.

Do you like the art in Captain Marvel?

Wait what? People don't like Chris Burnham? I guess I can see his style being an acquired taste like Quitely. To each their own.

I'm stoked that Burnham is going to be at my local con this summer, gonna try and get a Batcow sketch.

I personally can't stand it. I need characters to look consistent. Check out the previews for Batman Inc #7. First 5 pages have like 3 different Nightwings and a Red Robin who looks deformed.

Lombaszko

Ha! Awesome! Yeah Burnham is great. He packs tons of little details in the background of his panels. I can see where someone might think his style is sloppy or rushed but I think it looks kinetic and natural. Perfect for a book like this that has lots of action.
What sold me on Burnham was the last Batman Inc volume, issue #4:
jz9H6GA3l5G2F.jpg

tim1138

Do you like the art in Captain Marvel?

I personally can't stand it. I need characters to look consistent. Check out the previews for Batman Inc #7. First 5 pages have like 3 different Nightwings and a Red Robin who looks deformed.

Fair enough, I love his stuff because it's so loose. It really fits the tone of story I think.

I dropped Captain Marvel a few issues back because I couldn't deal with the rotating artists. Talk about a disparity between what's on the cover and what's inside, good lord. It's a shame McKelvie didn't get to draw the book since he designed the new costume.

Fair enough, I love his stuff because it's so loose. It really fits the tone of story I think.

I dropped Captain Marvel a few issues back because I couldn't deal with the rotating artists. Talk about a disparity between what's on the cover and what's inside, good lord. It's a shame McKelvie didn't get to draw the book since he designed the new costume.

I don't mean to come off as much of a hater. I do appreciate the overall background. But characters themselves just squick me.

reason I asked about Captain Marvel is that the art in there gave me the same vibe. They aren't the same but both have the "As long as it's vaguely a human its good enough" quality to it (to me).

I think it's the cheeks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom