• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

And what problem would that be?

Ranges anywhere from it's boring to it's bad to it's pointless to it's a wasted opportunity.

Watchmen isn't untouchable and there's no reason not to revisit it if you can create some really great stories out of it. But nothing about Before Watchmen is really great, and only a couple of the books are even any good at all.

Basically, it's not good enough to warrant having been made in the first place.

Ranges anywhere from it's boring to it's bad to it's pointless to it's a wasted opportunity.

Watchmen isn't untouchable and there's no reason not to revisit it if you can create some really great stories out of it. But nothing about Before Watchmen is really great, and only a couple of the books are even any good at all.

Basically, it's not good enough to warrant having been made in the first place.

Except for the books that were great. Like any other comic.

kswiston

I don't think I have met someone who will only read Alan Moore comics. Met plenty of Alan Moore superfans, but they read other writers as well. If only so they can point out how inferior they are to Moore.

tim1138

I hate taking to people who only read Moore books.

When exactly did he become so sacrosanct? I like V and Watchmen as much as the next guy, but they're hardly perfect pieces of literature.

Who was it over the weekend that said Flex Mentallo was a better commentary on comics than Watchmen? I think they were right.

When exactly did he become so sacrosanct? I like V and Watchmen as much as the next guy, but they're hardly perfect pieces of literature.

Who was it over the weekend that said Flex Mentallo was a better commentary on comics than Watchmen? I think they were right.

Step into the light, my son.

I think I've only read 3 Moore books in my life.

Like someone said before it just seems like such a fucking waste to bring all these creators together to make a watchmen prequel...

And since people bought the shit out of it, I'm sure it wont be the last time a bunch of talent is wasted on mediocrity.

Its like DC took a page from hollywood on how to beat a dead horse.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What do you guys think about how Marvel NOW compares to New 52? I'm all for it since New 52 is what originally got me into comics and Marvel NOW is what got me back into them after I took a sabbatical. I like having a singular starting point for comics I'm going to pick up as opposed to having to wade through years of backstory just to catch up to the current state of the DC/Marvel-verse.

I also have to say that I, Vampire and Supergirl are probably two of DC's best books right now, alongside Batman and Swamp Thing. It's been over a year now and those books have been rock solid week in week out.

kswiston

I think I've only read 3 Moore books in my life.

Like someone said before it just seems like such a fucking waste to bring all these creators together to make a watchmen prequel...

And since people bought the shit out of it, I'm sure it wont be the last time a bunch of talent is wasted on mediocrity.

Its like DC took a page from hollywood on how to beat a dead horse.

Moore has a lot of great books, but I think his ABC stuff was just as good as the books most often associated with him (Watchmen, The Killing Joke, V, etc). If you want a love letter to comics and pulp literature by Alan Moore, than read Top 10.

tim1138

Step into the light, my son.

A-ha! I should have known! You have impeccable taste my friend.

I'm bummed Morrison is wrapping up the superheroes part of his career, but if it means a return to stuff like Flex, We3, Joe the Barbarian, and Vimanarama then count me in.

Acid08

Banned
What do you guys think about how Marvel NOW compares to New 52? I'm all for it since New 52 is what originally got me into comics and Marvel NOW is what got me back into them after I took a sabbatical. I like having a singular starting point for comics I'm going to pick up as opposed to having to wade through years of backstory just to catch up to the current state of the DC/Marvel-verse.

I also have to say that I, Vampire and Supergirl are probably two of DC's best books right now, alongside Batman and Swamp Thing. It's been over a year now and those books have been rock solid week in week out.
I feel like Supergirl had been pretty lame so far. It's not offensive but nothing really had happened so far. I haven't read the newest issue yet but 15 was so dumb. Gee, the female character is seduced by the mysterious male Kryptonian? No one could have seen it coming!!!!!!!!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Only Batman has really hooked me onto N52 and even that isn't as strong as Snyder's work on DC. Lemire's Green Arrow has me very interested, though.

Marvel Now has been amazing: Avengers, New Avengers, Thor, Cap, Hulk especially. I have hope that Wood's X-Men will also be good.

I feel like Supergirl had been pretty lame so far. It's not offensive but nothing really had happened so far. I haven't read the newest issue yet but 15 was so dumb. Gee, the female character is seduced by the mysterious male Kryptonian? No one could have seen it coming!!!!!!!!

I got the impression she was more seduced by the idea of getting her home back. Remember, to her, she just left Krypton. She hasn't adjusted to Earth. She has no connection to it. And then someone comes along who says he has and seems to possess the power to go back and fix things.

I doubt she has any real romantic attachment.

Bendis announced Spider-Men 2 on his twitter. Cool I guess? First one was pretty fun.

We will probably be finding out about
616 Miles
that was hinted in the end. However, it will probably be Superior Spider-Man meeting him.

It might be Miles visitin 616, but that would lack what I consider the strength of Spidermen.
The Gwen-May-Peter scene. Although I would like Peter meeting Ultimate MJ, Doc Ock is kind of in the way

Acid08

Banned
I got the impression she was more seduced by the idea of getting her home back. Remember, to her, she just left Krypton. She hasn't adjusted to Earth. She has no connection to it. And then someone comes along who says he has and seems to possess the power to go back and fix things.

I doubt she has any real romantic attachment.
It's not the romantic angle I have a problem with, it's that that plot point is so obvious and unimaginative.

MArvel now has been great due to a much needed talent reshuffling. Plus the intro of stuff like Hawkeye.

Nu52 has not hooked me at all. Batman,INC,Aquaman,Wonder Women and supergirl,Flash,Sword and Socery,talon are the one i am buying. the quality to teriible is really off comapred to marvel now.

also not afan of how many crossovers there are in te Nu52, i dont care for this jsutice league/Aquaman cross over

I hate taking to people who only read Moore books.

n2cFWWR.gif

Serious question, seriously.

Who on earth has only ever read comics by Alan Moore and no one else.

It's not the romantic angle I have a problem with, it's that that plot point is so obvious and unimaginative.

I find it more realistic that she would want to save Krypton. So I can't fault the story with that direction.

MArvel now has been great due to a much needed talent reshuffling. Plus the intro of stuff like Hawkeye.

Nu52 has not hooked me at all. Batman,INC,Aquaman,Wonder Women and supergirl,Flash,Sword and Socery,talon are the one i am buying. the quality to teriible is really off comapred to marvel now.

also not afan of how many crossovers there are in te Nu52, i dont care for this jsutice league/Aquaman cross over

Lol wat. Marvel is much more guilty of crossovers than DC is by a longshot.

kswiston

I think Marvel Now! is proving that you can have a successful line relaunch without throwing out 20 years of continuity and half of your non-A list characters (pissing off fans in the process). Quality-wise, I prefer the Marvel Now! books over the New 52 books, but I am sure some of that is bias due to my larger investment in the Marvel U. Both companies have great titles. Timing-wise, I think DC had the better idea with their synchronous re-launch. It could have been planned better with regards to wrapping up loose story ends like Batman Inc, but 52 #1s in a month will get people talking. I don't really like how Marvel has stretched their relaunches over a period of 6 months since I think it leads to a mentality where some of the mid-tier books are skipped as fans wait for the big titles to relaunch. It seemed like people were trying to read everything that first month when DC relaunched.

Parch

Not buying this argument. We are talking about DC here, so there's some fair argument that at least half the books could be considered mediocre. Plus how many titles have DC cancelled in the last year? Mediocrity is what DC does, and at least Back to Watchmen seems to be selling well enough to avoid cancellation. I see no problem with DC selling something that sells instead of trotting out more B-list characters that won't sell.

Green lantern is never not in a crossover, Rotworld,Aquaman/JLA, superman family of books cross overs. Even the bat books are all forced into tiening into the main event.

The last marvel crossover i remember(not counting AvX) is the JIM/New mutants crossover. Other than 90's marvel i have no idea what you are talking about

The recently cancelled shitshow called New Mutants was in a crossover or tie-in event every other arc. It was so bad. How it lasted 50 issues is baffling.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The thing I like about Supergirl is that it really feels like you're seeing Kara's first days on this planet; she's still discovering her powers and she still thinks there's a way to get back to Krypton. Whereas the other New 52 books spent maybe one arc introducing their characters "for the first time," I feel like Kara is still in that phase of self-discovery. It makes me relate to her a lot more than I do to other characters.

Has anyone been reading The Massive? I bought the first issue and it didn't exactly hook me so I didn't pick any others up. Bit for some reason I kept thinking about it.

Has anyone been reading The Massive? I bought the first issue and it didn't exactly hook me so I didn't pick any others up. Bit for some reason I kept thinking about it.

I love it. There's a lot of "chicks" in it, though, so ymmv. And they're like of a very assertive personality, which you apparently found detestable in comics journalists so, iunno if you'll dig it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Green lantern is never not in a crossover, Rotworld,Aquaman/JLA, superman family of books cross overs. Even the bat books are all forced into tiening into the main event.

The last marvel crossover i remember(not counting AvX) is the JIM/New mutants crossover. Other than 90's marvel i have no idea what you are talking about

I kind of forgive the bat books for the crossovers due to how good they all tend to be. Everyone's on the same page, they get to feed the plot they've already been setting up into the crossover so it's not really destroying any momentum the books had. I mean look at Death in the Family, it's basically a Joker story for every book with a prearranged ending and the freedom to do whatever so long as it ends with Joker and the covered platter.

I love it. There's a lot of "chicks" in it, though, so ymmv. And they're like of a very assertive personality, which you apparently found detestable in comics journalists so, iunno if you'll dig it.

Chicks with assertive personalities are fine, its the "writer" part I have issues with. Thanks though, I might give it another shot.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of forgive the bat books for the crossovers due to how good they all tend to be. Everyone's on the same page, they get to feed the plot they've already been setting up into the crossover so it's not really destroying any momentum the books had. I mean look at Death in the Family, it's basically a Joker story for every book with a prearranged ending and the freedom to do whatever so long as it ends with Joker and the covered platter.

The only place at DC where that is true. I mean in the Snyderverse.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Everyone else working for DC isn't allowed that.

That's the thing. I forgive the bat books for all the crossovers, but nothing else. If you can't keep everyone on the same page for a crossover then don't do it. If you have to interrupt someone's momentum so you can do a crossover then don't do it. DC needs to get it's shit together. Marvel too, AvX was insanely drawn out and had way too many crossover issues. Though it looks like Marvel may have learned from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom