• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to get into the other "Superior" spin-offs, but I don't want my money to dwindle away. Life is so hard.

Superior Team-Up was pretty decent from what I read but Superior Foes is one of my favorite Marvel books right now, it's hilarious. The series is only seven issues in so it's pretty easy to catch up and the first trade is coming out in like two months and it has the first six issues. Definitely give the first issue a shot at least!

While it's not a Superior title, Scarlet Spider was really fun as well. If you want more Spider action check it out.

Toa TAK

Banned
Superior Team-Up was pretty decent from what I read but Superior Foes is one of my favorite Marvel books right now, it's hilarious. The series is only seven issues in so it's pretty easy to catch up and the first trade is coming out in like two months and it has the first six issues. Definitely give the first issue a shot at least!

While it's not a Superior title, Scarlet Spider was really fun as well. If you want more Spider action check it out.

Yeah, I checked out the first two of Superior Team-Up, and I'm liking it so far, but seriously, what the hell with #2? It had a cliffhanger and now I need to see Scarlet Spider-Man comic 9 or something to see the conclusion of it? Hell naw (maybe).

Nice to hear that Superior Foes is good, I wouldn't have guessed it. Will give it a go as soon as I give Superior Carnage a finish.

Yeah, I checked out the first two of Superior Team-Up, and I'm liking it so far, but seriously, what the hell with #2? It had a cliffhanger and now I need to see Scarlet Spider-Man comic 9 or something to see the conclusion of it? Hell naw (maybe).

Nice to hear that Superior Foes is good, I wouldn't have guessed it. Will give it a go as soon as I give Superior Carnage a finish.
Superior Foes is the best Spider-Man title currently being released.

How was the Lights Out event?

Read Red Lanterns #23 & #24.. Pretty character focused was #24.
Dex-Starr and Atrocitus floating through space.. Gardner comes out as.. Red.
There were so many pretty colours and it's just good, fun comics, y'know?

It was fun. I liked it but in the end, I dropped Lantern books. They literally have their own universe in the DCU it seems the writers really want you to get all the books to fully understand said universe.

Dysun

It was meh coming off the First Lantern crossover.
Kyle Rayner being a deus ex machina for everything doesn't help

Caught up with Ultimate Comics - Spider Man, and the Cataclysm - Spider Man comics.
I have no cash for games for like, 3 months, but that's alright. It was a good time.

Miles Morales is a fantastic Spider Man, the series is great, the story and art are fantastic, and the costume is really cool.

Toa TAK

Banned
Ties with Marvel Knights Spider-Man, but that's ending in one issue.

Interesting. To say the least.

Yo, how come midway throughout the series, Superior Spidey's eyes go from white to black right in the middle of the run? With the same artist, too? Did they just randomly decide to change the look of him?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Interesting. To say the least.

Yo, how come midway throughout the series, Superior Spidey's eyes go from white to black right in the middle of the run? With the same artist, too? Did they just randomly decide to change the look of him?

Yea he gets a costume change after he gets his new villain lair super hero hideout and private henchmen army security force.

That's the spirit! tbh, jumping in and getting stuff through context is fun in itself, that's what got me into the hobby when I was a kid. And especially with the Legion, it's so stupidly rich that it's just an info overload, super fun.

Sounds like you're getting a solid grounding in the classics too. Welcome to the rest of your life :p

Oh, you've gotten off to an awesome start.

Not sure if this helps but I've never finished Infinite Crisis or read Lightning Saga and I loved that book. I do read Legion things so I knew of everyone in it so I don't know how hard not knowing them is. Hope you like it!

Hello! Welcome to the hobby. As you might expect, falling into comics, especially those with decades of continuity such as the Big 2 of DC and Marvel, is never going to be easy. You just sort of have to muddle your way through in the beginning.
All sorts of awesome info

You can read Legion of 3 Worlds without reading any of the Crisis books. I certainly did. Although I probably wasn't as new to comics as iamcool38 seems to be. I knew about the Crisis events but I never really read up on what happened in them (I still haven't). Same with the Legion. I knew of them but not much more beyond being superheroes in the far future with an apparently convoluted history.

I'm sure I missed out on the full context of certain scenes but the book was still a very fun read with lovely art. So much so that I actually started reading the Legion because of it. I've been slowly working my way through older stories since.

DO NOT read infinite crisis it doesn't have to do with this book and will just confuse the heck out of you What you need to read is a book called "superman and the legion of super heroes" by Geoff Johns. It's the same writer and this is a follow up to that.

Thank you all so much for the guidance and help! I'm pleasantly surprised that COMIC GAF is much less intimidating than it appears to an outsider!

Will look for Superman and the legion of superheroes, but I am not sure I will be able to get it locally. Will look up on the wiki though for sure and then continue onwards!

BTW, what other books do you guys recommend to know the basics about a character? I really liked Thor Omnibus and thought it gave a great, self contained introduction to Thor, secondary Asgardian characters, his villains gallery and the world he inhabits. Any such books for other superheroes? Doesnt matter which superhero as long as the story is great!

Toa TAK

Banned
Yea he gets a costume change after he gets his new villain lair super hero hideout and private henchmen army security force.

LOL If I remember correctly, his security force are his "minions".

And speaking of remembering, I just flipped back, when he said "New Uniform? Why not?" Must've missed that.

But I still don't want Ramos drawing him.

Thank you all so much for the guidance and help! I'm pleasantly surprised that COMIC GAF is much less intimidating than it appears to an outsider!
Seriously. One of the coolest communities here.

BTW, what other books do you guys recommend to know the basics about a character? I really liked Thor Omnibus and thought it gave a great, self contained introduction to Thor, secondary Asgardian characters, his villains gallery and the world he inhabits. Any such books for other superheroes? Doesnt matter which superhero as long as the story is great!

It really depends on each character. The problem with Omnibuses and Essential books is that they collect the really old stuff from like the 50s and 60s which is very hard to read now and doesn't hold much relevance.

Like if your interested in Spider Man start at either Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 1 or Brand New Day, Superman I recommend Action Comics:The Men of Steel, Most DC characters got rebooted recently so just start at #1 of the current self titled series for Batman, Aquaman, Wondy Woman, Animal Man, Justice League, etc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Will look for Superman and the legion of superheroes, but I am not sure I will be able to get it locally. Will look up on the wiki though for sure and then continue onwards!

Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb did a take on early stories from almost every hero during their team up, most of them are quite good.

I always tell people new to comics to start straight at the top by checking out the two best selling comics of all time

X-Men #1 by Jim Lee and Chris Claremont
X-Force #1 by Rob Liefeld

Shit is legendary

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
The problem with Omnibuses and Essential books is that they collect the really old stuff from like the 50s and 60s which is very hard to read now and doesn't hold much relevance.

I could be misinterpreting what you said or missing something, but there are plenty of omnibuses of recent stuff.

First thing that popped into my head was "Welcome Back, Frank" for the Punisher. Great introduction to the character, great story, self-contained, and pretty cheap to buy.
I suppose Miller's Daredevil run (comes in a sweet omnibus) would also fall into that category. It was the first Daredevil stuff I'd read and it worked nicely as an intro for me. I really enjoyed it. It is fairly dated though.

I could be misinterpreting what you said or missing something, but there are plenty of omnibuses of recent stuff.

Yea I know. He mentioned he picked up a Thor Omnibus to learn about Thor and I was assuming its the volume that collects the early Stan Lee stuff which is honestly pretty terrible.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yea I know. He mentioned he picked up a Thor Omnibus to learn about Thor and I was assuming its the volume that collects the early Stan Lee stuff which is honestly pretty terrible.

Oh, gotcha. I had a good feeling I was misinterpreting what you said. Haha

Lights Out was interesting. On the one hand it was pretty controversial; You had new teams coming on and they very quickly decided to change the status quo on what it meant to be a Lantern. It was very quick in the grand scheme of crossovers, covering just four books over the span of a single month (plus the Relic Villains Month Issue).

If you want a quick synopsis of the changes:
Originally, the Lanterns were simply fueled by an emotion, i.e. Willpower for Greens, Rage for Reds, etc. The "change" is that the energy isn't so much created by the user as it is drawn from a universal reservoir, that is, there is a finite limit to how much can be used.

Relic, the big bad of the event, is a leftover from the previous universe, a universe that had devoted its entire society on the consumption and use of hardlight energy. Literally everything was made out of hardlight energy. It was, for them, seemingly free energy. But it was eventually used up and this caused a universal collapse back into the primordial egg.

Relic somehow survived this collapse as an "anomaly". When he was released he realized that he had a second chance to "save" the universe from this rampant use of emotional energy. We still don't know if what Relic said is true, that there really is a finite limit, but the Lanterns now have to contend with the possibility that what they use to protect might actually be destroying.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Lights Out was interesting. On the one hand it was pretty controversial; You had new teams coming on and they very quickly decided to change the status quo on what it meant to be a Lantern. It was very quick in the grand scheme of crossovers, covering just four books over the span of a single month (plus the Relic Villains Month Issue).

If you want a quick synopsis of the changes:
Originally, the Lanterns were simply fueled by an emotion, i.e. Willpower for Greens, Rage for Reds, etc. The "change" is that the energy isn't so much created by the user as it is drawn from a universal reservoir, that is, there is a finite limit to how much can be used.

Relic, the big bad of the event, is a leftover from the previous universe, a universe that had devoted its entire society on the consumption and use of hardlight energy. Literally everything was made out of hardlight energy. It was, for them, seemingly free energy. But it was eventually used up and this caused a universal collapse back into the primordial egg.

Relic somehow survived this collapse as an "anomaly". When he was released he realized that he had a second chance to "save" the universe from this rampant use of emotional energy. We still don't know if what Relic said is true, that there really is a finite limit, but the Lanterns now have to contend with the possibility that what they use to protect might actually be destroying.

That sounds like it could be pretty interesting depending on how they developed it.

It was fun. I liked it but in the end, I dropped Lantern books. They literally have their own universe in the DCU it seems the writers really want you to get all the books to fully understand said universe.

It probably won't last, but the last couple of months have been:

New Guardians Solo
Red Lanterns Solo
Green Lantern / Green Lantern Corp duo.

Woah, when did Amazon add Batman the Animated Series to Prime Instant Streaming?
I mean I have it all on DVD, but this is way more convenient.

Thank you so much. Btw, the FOX 90s Spiderman is too. No clue how long this has been up. But I know what I'm doing for awhile now.

vocab

God Damn transmetropolitan has got me laughing really hard and I'm only half way finished with the first volume. Spider Jerusalem gives no fucks.

Now I'm interested in planetary. God damnit.

it seems the writers really want you to get all the books to fully understand said universe.

Not this guy!

larfleeze_1_crop.jpg

It really depends on each character. The problem with Omnibuses and Essential books is that they collect the really old stuff from like the 50s and 60s which is very hard to read now and doesn't hold much relevance.

Like if your interested in Spider Man start at either Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 1 or Brand New Day, Superman I recommend Action Comics:The Men of Steel, Most DC characters got rebooted recently so just start at #1 of the current self titled series for Batman, Aquaman, Wondy Woman, Animal Man, Justice League, etc.

Is this the EMO spiderman from the movies, or wisecracking spiderman? If its the former, then not interested at ALL. The spiderman I saw in the movies was so far removed from the ones I saw in cartoons as a kid that it left me confused whether the spiderman I thought I knew was a sham and THIS bullshit pansy cry like a river was spidermans true character.

Will check out Superman for sure, once I start getting a feel of the universe will branch out into Batman and Justice League. Wonder Woman always felt like a de-powered Superman, so why read that? No interest in Aquaman, no idea who Animal Man is lol.

Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb did a take on early stories from almost every hero during their team up, most of them are quite good.

Will search for these two people and see what books they have written! Thanks!

First thing that popped into my head was "Welcome Back, Frank" for the Punisher. Great introduction to the character, great story, self-contained, and pretty cheap to buy.
I suppose Miller's Daredevil run (comes in a sweet omnibus) would also fall into that category. It was the first Daredevil stuff I'd read and it worked nicely as an intro for me. I really enjoyed it. It is fairly dated though.

I like the concept of Punisher, the one dude who isnt afraid to kill. Will definitely try to snag that. Daredevil never interested me... I guess because he looks stupid in his red costume and he's blind, so in the end, how badass can he be?

I'm not at home, but it wasnt Stan Lee. Is there some book by Walt Sorensen or something? I dont know if its old or not, but it was pretty good, I liked it thoroughly. Loki, Malekith, Kurse, Hela, Odin, Surtur... it was pretty hot.

God Damn transmetropolitan has got me laughing really hard and I'm only half way finished with the first volume. Spider Jerusalem gives no fucks.

I've read Planetary! Its really good if you like conspiracy theories and unexplained events that have a secret meaning behind them, stuff like that. You'll enjoy it.

Also, does Transmetropolitan have any supernatural or superhero elements? I've seen that book at the bookstore, but am not too interested in reading about a journalist discussing his life.

tim1138

Everyone should be interested in Planetary, it's a top tier book.

Isak_Borg

"I'm not at home, but it wasnt Stan Lee. Is there some book by Walt Sorensen or something? I dont know if its old or not, but it was pretty good, I liked it thoroughly. Loki, Malekith, Kurse, Hela, Odin, Surtur... it was pretty hot."

Walt Simonson's Omnibus is godly and probably one of the best runs on the book and a great jumping on point. It was written in the 80s and really set the tone for the character going forward.

Byrne's Fantastic four and Peter David's Hulk are also really great jumping on points that set the tone of those characters for generations.

Sadist

Is this the EMO spiderman from the movies, or wisecracking spiderman? If its the former, then not interested at ALL. The spiderman I saw in the movies was so far removed from the ones I saw in cartoons as a kid that it left me confused whether the spiderman I thought I knew was a sham and THIS bullshit pansy cry like a river was spidermans true character.
Wisecracking Spider-Man. It's a little different from the mainline Spider-Man, but overall the Ultimate version of Peter Parker loves making jokes and is sarcastic to boot. So yeah, this is the Spidey-comic to read. It has the best version of Aunt May. Awesome take on Uncle Ben as well.

I still laugh when May calls JJJ after he fired Peter and her moustache remark

Bendis is hit or mis in general, but his work on Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Comics Spider-Man has been consistenly good. I also love Spider-Men.

Isak_Borg

Wisecracking Spider-Man. It's a little different from the mainline Spider-Man, but overall the Ultimate version of Peter Parker loves making jokes and is sarcastic to boot. So yeah, this is the Spidey-comic to read. It has the best version of Aunt May. Awesome take on Uncle Ben as well.

I still laugh when May calls JJJ after he fired Peter and her moustache remark

Bendis is hit or mis in general, but his work on Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Comics Spider-Man has been consistenly good. I also love Spider-Men.

Spider-men is amazing!

Going to be interesting when Miles meets spider-ock.

Wait, when did Red Lanterns stop being trash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom