• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ms Marvel looks awesome, IMO. There was a teaser released recently in that point one book, right? I was disappointed that folks here didn't seem to think it was very good.

How is 'Afterlife with Archie'? I haven't read an Archie comic since I was a kid, but I just heard about this series. Horror with Francavilla doing the art? Good Lord, that sounds awesome. How's the series?

Eldren

The new Ms Marvel looks awesome. I love that art style, it kind of reminds me of the backgrounds in cartoons I watched when I was a kid. Great stuff.

Oh:

tumblr_mz7cbj4tL71s0pt79o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mz7cbj4tL71s0pt79o2_1280.jpg

ryallsfiles:

Got an advance of the coming Locke & Key hardcover slipcase today.

It’s packed with the latest volume, Volume 6: Alpha & Omega, only. The other five you see here are just a cardboard spacer, so you can add in all your current volumes and not have to re-buy ‘em all just to get the slipcase.

I kinda want that slipcase.

How is 'Afterlife with Archie'? I haven't read an Archie comic since I was a kid, but I just heard about this series. Horror with Francavilla doing the art? Good Lord, that sounds awesome. How's the series?

I read the first Afterlife with Archie. I was a HUGE Archie fan as a kid. AwA #1 (and presumably what follows) is very high quality. From the paper to the colours to the writing and everything in between. I had a couple of quibbles with the liberties they took with zombie lore, but overall I was very impressed. I'm glad I checked it out but I dropped it after issue #1. Call me sentimental, but I just don't want to watch my beloved Riverdale residents eaten one by one.

I read the first Afterlife with Archie. I was a HUGE Archie fan as a kid. AwA #1 (and presumably what follows) is very high quality. From the paper to the colours to the writing and everything in between. I had a couple of quibbles with the liberties they took with zombie lore, but overall I was very impressed. I'm glad I checked it out but I dropped it after issue #1. Call me sentimental, but I just don't want to watch my beloved Riverdale residents eaten one by one.

I just wanna know if Betty and/or Veronica finally get naked.

It's a teenage horror story. It's been my fantasy since I was a kid.

Amazing, one of my favourite series right now. I know very little about Archie being Irish and everything, but I know enough to find it entertaining.

It seems like Doc Ock's MO is "Oh, we're supposed to be friends?

Fuck that."

Hilarious every time.

His reaction to meeting 2099, so good.

"We had an adventure together, Parker!"

"HE KNOWS!" *punch*

Toa TAK

Banned
His reaction to meeting 2099, so good.

"We had an adventure together, Parker!"

"HE KNOWS!" *punch*

Don't forget his happy reunion with Flash Thompson, his #1 fan.

Dammit man, I'm all caught up with the series now. Subscribed for the digital comics.
FIVE MORE DAYS. Jesus. Hurry up.

I want to get into the other "Superior" spin-offs, but I don't want my money to dwindle away. Life is so hard.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Speaking of Francavilla, is there anything of his (preferably not just one issue in an ongoing) worth reading besides Black Beetle, Black Mirror, and AwA? I like his art a lot, but he mostly seems to do cover art or just single issues here and there. I see he did quite a few issues for Zorro, but was the writing in that any good?

Speaking of Francavilla, is there anything of his (preferably not just one issue in an ongoing) worth reading besides Black Beetle, Black Mirror, and AwA? I like his art a lot, but he mostly seems to do cover art or just single issues here and there. I see he did quite a few issues for Zorro, but was the writing in that any good?

The thing about Francavilla is that the work has to suit his art style. Black Beetle? Awesome. But that issue of Guardians of the Galaxy he did a month or two back.... Wasn't feeling it. At all.

I thought for a long time Wasteland is probably the book most deserving in all of indie comics of more attention, compared to what it gets and it's level of quality. I don't know if that's being at Oni Press or what, if it had been at Image or Vertigo, I think there would have been so much more buzz about it throughout the years. It's cool that despite the very little coverage it gets and the issues it had over the art change the book made it all the way to htis point and will be able to finish out it's 60 issue plan. I would literally recommend volume 1 to anyone looking for an exceptional indie comic. Great characters, great art, great plot and world. If any of you guys are interested in the book, you can actually read the whole first issue (for free) on it's official site, right here: Click

I just read this issue you linked, donie and enjoyed it quite a bit. First issues should always be double sized, I reckon. As I read it I sometimes felt like there was a panel missing here or there- like a little record skip, but I really REALLY appreciate that there isn't a lot of exposition. You learn about the world through the actions of the characters and it's cleverly done that way. The first few pages in particular really breathe and there's action early that communicate the stakes. Not sure what I think about the characters off the top, but that's ok. I think maybe characters need to be a little, well, simple to start a story. Can't know all their angles right off the bat.

Good stuff! Thanks for the link!

Thanks! I will look for Infinite Crisis then. Should I assume that Final Crisis is the last book of the overarching story? Also, is Infinite Crisis the starting point, or there are other books before it as well?

DO NOT read infinite crisis it doesn't have to do with this book and will just confuse the heck out of you What you need to read is a book called "superman and the legion of super heroes" by Geoff Johns. It's the same writer and this is a follow up to that.

The new Ms Marvel looks awesome. I love that art style, it kind of reminds me of the backgrounds in cartoons I watched when I was a kid. Great stuff.

Oh:

I kinda want that slipcase.

oh damn, guess I gotta go rebuy for trade. so neat

Yo yo, that was me. I know nothing about Planetary but I'm willing to dive the fuck in. Getting it from instocktrades, but it'll be February until we start talking about it!

oh man I don't think I knew about this and now I want it. Loved that book

Listening to the I Sell Comics podcast and it was pretty interesting. They said that while people complain that there is too much editorial at DC, there is not enough at Marvel. That there is too many characters out of character. Talked about how editorial can make better stories and they gave examples. I don't read very much Marvel so I can't make my own opinion but I thought it was interesting.

ReiGun

I always thought people liked the "creators rule all" approach at Marvel.

I can't really render an opinion as I don't read enough Marvel to notice, and the DC books I still read have had little in the way of editorial interference for the most part.

Holy shit, Kurtis J. Wiebe is going to be at my local mini comic con this weekend so I will (hopefully) be able to score Rat Queens #4 early! I guess I'll bring my other issues and get them signed, too. I reckon it's nice especially to have a signed #1 by the creator.

Holy shit, Kurtis J. Wiebe is going to be at my local mini comic con this weekend so I will (hopefully) be able to score Rat Queens #4 early! I guess I'll bring my other issues and get them signed, too. I reckon it's nice especially to have a signed #1 by the creator.

Does having a creator sign an issue impact the value in a +/- way if you then get them CGC graded?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
WHOA. GUYS:

From the DH April solicits:

"Frank Miller’s Big Damn Sin City HC
Frank Miller (W/A/Cover) and Lynn Varley (C)
On sale June 25
b&w/FC, 1,360 pages
$100.00
HC, 8” x 12 3/16”
The biggest, baddest Sin City ever is here, just in time for fall’s Sin City: A Dame to Kill For! This imposing volume, suitable for home defense, contains all seven of Frank Miller's landmark Sin City yarns! In these tales of Marv, Dwight, Gail, Miho, Hartigan, Nancy, and the Yellow Bastard, no corner of Basin City is left unturned, and no bloody deed is left undone. Written with unmatched intensity and drawn in the starkest black-and-white imaginable, with blood-red bits of color, among others, the Sin City books make up the greatest crime saga in comics history, and Big Damn Sin City is the best way to rediscover the whole darn shootin’ match!
• Every blood-soaked page of Sin City to date!
• Over one million Sin City books in print!"

If I'm not mistaken that is the size of the Fear Agent Libraries.

1360 pages and a $100 MSRP. If current trends continue, I should be able to pick it up for $50...
I haven't read Sin City and have been meaning to, but it's either paperbacks or out of print hardcovers that are way too expensive, so this is great news for me. I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up. I mean, people do like Sin City, right?

WHOA. GUYS:

1360 pages and a $100 MSRP. If current trends continue, I should be able to pick it up for $50...
I haven't read Sin City and have been meaning to, but it's either paperbacks or out of print hardcovers that are way too expensive, so this is great news for me. I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up. I mean, people do like Sin City, right?

I do. 1360 pages though...I guess if I wanted to read Sin City and needed a way to defend my home against intruders.

That's a real thing? How do you go about proving something like that? Photographic evidence?

Worse - http://www.cgccomics.com/grading/SignatureSeries.asp

If you get it signed before this process, they won't rate it as a Signature Series and may even knock points off the grade as well for writing on the book. Best thing todo is send photo evidence and they may grade it appropitely but put something in the notes that the signature is not authenticated.

tim1138

WHOA. GUYS:

Good lord, you should have to register that as a weapon.

ElNarez

Banned
Sounds like a pain in the ass. Why bother?

Yeah, seriously. If you get a comic book signed only to sell it later you are an Enemy. You need to keep that shit and treasure the fuck out of it. (He says, having forgotten where the heck his copy of Aquaman #1 signed by Ivan Reis is)

Most of the time if people want to get something signed and then graded they'll do it at a big con and have the CGC guys observe the signing or something to that effect. For something like a store signing I'd just get a picture of yourself with the person to keep as "evidence".

One of my signing experiences: Getting my Snyder Batman comics signed was kind of insane. They made you get tickets to be able to line up and then you could only get a handful of comics signed. So I ended up doing Batman #1, #12 and #15.

tim1138

I've gotten a handful of books signed from various cons. I got David Finch to sign 3 of my Brightest Day issues (he did the covers), Yanick Paquette signed four issues of pre N52 Barman Inc, and Doug Mahnke signed a bunch of GL issues plus my Final Crisis HC. I have zero plans to ever sell them, they're just cool to have. I'm actually planning on framing a couple of them to hang up in my house.

Owzers

No, do it. This is a hobby, not an investment.

Signed comics are always worth it!

Superior Spidey 23 and 24 were good, introducing Venom into the mix spiced things up. Still....it's probably the least fav thing i buy right now. I can't stand Mary " Hey peter why are you acting strange?" Jane.

Toa TAK

Banned
No, do it. This is a hobby, not an investment.

Well when you put it like that...

Signed comics are always worth it!

Superior Spidey 23 and 24 were good, introducing Venom into the mix spiced things up. Still....it's probably the least fav thing i buy right now. I can't stand Mary " Hey peter why are you acting strange?" Jane.

lol. it's funny because Otto has basically been done with her for a long time now.

23 & 24 were good, but man, Ramos doesn't know what proper proportions are. Superior Venom looks ridiculous most of the time.

Just finished reading like, 30 comics today.
Hilariously, the one thing that stuck with me through all that is how terrible Kick-Ass 2 and 3 are.

Sweet babies, it's bad.

23 & 24 were good, but man, Ramos doesn't know what proper proportions are. Superior Venom looks ridiculous most of the time.
Agreed. He also keeps changing his face/mask through the issues. Kinda dumb.

tm24

Read the ultimate spidey tie in to cataclysm. I can't be the only one shipping spider-woman/bombshell? I love this group so much

Coffin Hill #1 was pretty bland! The art, the story, the characters, the world... all totally uninteresting! cmon vertigo
Read the ultimate spidey tie in to cataclysm. I can't be the only one shipping spider-woman/bombshell? I love this group so much
you're the only one
still reading it

tim1138

Woah, when did Amazon add Batman the Animated Series to Prime Instant Streaming?
I mean I have it all on DVD, but this is way more convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom