• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I read The Homeland Directive, I liked the majority of it, but the end kinda fell flat for me. Thinking about checking out more of Top Shelf Productions.

Messi

Did not. Guess we will see in batman 28.

In that family photo teaser from a while back, do you think its odd that
The joker is not in it anywhere and Jokers daughter is? Also who is the person with purple jacket with there back turned to us.

MG310

Hey, I am not complaining. I read Hawkeye mostly for Kate, Clint is good and all but I like her more.

I seem to have missed the newest bombshell announcement. I wonder when DC will announce Catwoman because you know its coming. If you do Stargirl before Catwoman something has gone horribly wrong. I don't even know how you would do Catwoman in that style or say Batwoman.

Bombshell-Stargirl-statue-di-DC-Collectibles-1.jpg

Have to save some of the more popular ones for later on. That being said...where's my Zatanna?

Stargirl fits the theme pretty well though with the American flag styled uniform. Kinda worried that if I look at that statue wrong the piece holding her foot to the base will snap though.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
In that family photo teaser from a while back, do you think its odd that
The joker is not in it anywhere and Jokers daughter is? Also who is the person with purple jacket with there back turned to us.

The popular speculation is it's Stephanie Brown. She's expected to be returning in some fashion.

So I read The Homeland Directive, I liked the majority of it, but the end kinda fell flat for me. Thinking about checking out more of Top Shelf Productions.

Yea, it's pretty decent eh? I like Venditti. Have you read either of his Surrogates books? I prefer them both to THD. I really really like the original Surrogates book. I understand doing big two work will allow him to do more creator owned work (if he wants of course) in the lnog run, but I can't wait for him to do some more, really like his own stuff. The books he's attached to at DC though, not really my thing. Would have liked to have seen his Constantine. The only other top shelf book I can recommend is The Underwater Welder by Lemire, really cool If you just like different original stuff in general, Habibi is worth a look in.

tm24

I didnt like that Stargirl statue until i saw that it's part of a line, and now i really kind of dig it. The Black Canary one is really ace

Nope! lmao

I kind of wish they'd just put out the solicits and then do a bunch of articles with interviews etc., I feel like DC have been cheating me the last fews days, with these barely announcements. I like the initial wtf of reading solicits and seeing stuff missing, new or changed.

Owzers

I kind of wish they'd just put out the solicits and then do a bunch of articles with interviews etc., I feel like DC have been cheating me the last fews days, with these barely announcements. I like the initial wtf of reading solicits and seeing stuff missing, new or changed.

I agree, solicits are now only used to see what trades i'll be pre-ordering from DCBS each month, especially since a lot of solicited in advance 2 or 3 months anyways.

ReiGun

Yeah this has been weird. These announcements haven't nearly as been hype as they could have been. Especially with the rumor mill having spoiled them.

Why do people still think Batman has only been around 5 years in nu52? He was a myth by the time JL #1 happened.

That would require actually paying attention to nu52 plot points, which gets in the way of the blind hate.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Thinking about checking out more of Top Shelf Productions.

Top Shelf has a handy little page for all their perennial sellers.

I'm sure they'll add March: Book One to that list. That's a pretty big release from them last year that got a ton of press. It's the first of a three part memoir of Congressman John Lewis, detailing a lot of the Civil Rights movement. It's a cool book too because it kinda comes full circle for John Lewis, as he was inspired by a comic in the 50s about MLK and Montgomery. Top Shelf is actually republishing that issue too.

Brandon Graham on Twitter: "Vertigo has always been garbage at finding new talent. I hope they sink under their own shit contracts & lack of risk taking."

Haha.

Admittingly, Graham tried for years to break into Veritgo at no avail and is fully aware at the giant chip on his shoulder he has towards them

speaking of comic creators shit-talking other comic book people, you read that amazingly long Alan Moore response? I think half of is just blasting on Grant Morrison in a hundred different ways.

Some of my favorites:

…”the herpes-like persistence of Grant Morrison himself”…”

“…Grant Morrison and his fellow mediocrities…”

“…by his own admission Grant Morrison had spent most of the Punk era in his room for fear of being spoken to roughly by some uncouth person with a pink Mohawk and a U.K. Subs t-shirt.”

“I’m afraid I didn’t see how appealing to completely unearned teen rebel credentials made any difference to the spoiled-child behaviour of a deeply unpleasant middle-aged man, and therefore once more declined the invitation to whisk him off to my Bat-cave so that we could solve mysteries together, perhaps in todger-revealing tights.”

frye

"This may seem like a disproportionate response, but for thirty years I have had to patiently endure the craven and bitchy hostility of someone who, when I bother to think of him at all, I think of as a Scottish tribute band. While he is clearly not the only reason why I have come to feel actual revulsion for the greater part of today’s comic world, he has probably done more than any other single individual to foul its atmosphere and make it unbreathable with his ongoing reeking incontinence – and that, believe me, is in a field where he has enjoyed a great deal of vigorous competition."

ReiGun

speaking of comic creators shit-talking other comic book people, you read that amazingly long Alan Moore response? I think half of is just blasting on Grant Morrison in a hundred different ways.

Some of my favorites:

…”the herpes-like persistence of Grant Morrison himself”…”

“…Grant Morrison and his fellow mediocrities…”

“…by his own admission Grant Morrison had spent most of the Punk era in his room for fear of being spoken to roughly by some uncouth person with a pink Mohawk and a U.K. Subs t-shirt.”

“I’m afraid I didn’t see how appealing to completely unearned teen rebel credentials made any difference to the spoiled-child behaviour of a deeply unpleasant middle-aged man, and therefore once more declined the invitation to whisk him off to my Bat-cave so that we could solve mysteries together, perhaps in todger-revealing tights.”
What is Moore's problem with Morrison anyway? I mean, Moore seems to be angry about most things whenever he talks nowadays, but Morrison in particular is a sore spot. You can practically taste the venom whenever Moore mentions his name.

Edit:
"This may seem like a disproportionate response, but for thirty years I have had to patiently endure the craven and bitchy hostility of someone who, when I bother to think of him at all, I think of as a Scottish tribute band. While he is clearly not the only reason why I have come to feel actual revulsion for the greater part of today’s comic world, he has probably done more than any other single individual to foul its atmosphere and make it unbreathable with his ongoing reeking incontinence – and that, believe me, is in a field where he has enjoyed a great deal of vigorous competition."
Actually, I think this answers my question. Damn.

I tried once, and then i scrolled down to see how long it was and backed out. i let others summarize, and it didn't seem like something i needed
...but god DAMN

Isak_Borg

Top Shelf has a handy little page for all their perennial sellers.

I'm sure they'll add March: Book One to that list. That's a pretty big release from them last year that got a ton of press. It's the first of a three part memoir of Congressman John Lewis, detailing a lot of the Civil Rights movement. It's a cool book too because it kinda comes full circle for John Lewis, as he was inspired by a comic in the 50s about MLK and Montgomery. Top Shelf is actually republishing that issue too.

March: Book One was great and John Lewis passed by my office to talk about it and couldn't have been more amazing. I think we are bundling the MLK book with it at the moment but not sure.

ElNarez

Banned
At this point Alan Moore has gone so far up his own ass his head's coming out of his mouth. This interview also has the weakest fucking defense of the Golliwog stuff from Black Dossier. What I'm saying is, Flex Mentallo is still a better comic than Watchmen.

vocab

Whats the word on hinterkind and coffin hill? Does no one give a shit about them? Is FBP the only current vertigo worth a damn?

What is Moore's problem with Morrison anyway? I mean, Moore seems to be angry about most things whenever he talks nowadays, but Morrison in particular is a sore spot. You can practically taste the venom whenever Moore mentions his name.

Grant Morrison has been passively-aggressively trolling Alan Moore for over 20 years, and things like Flex Mentallo and All-Star Superman are clearly direct responses to the deconstructionist 80s superhero work of Alan Moore like Miracleman or Watchmen. Moore is very meticulously structured and organized, Morrison is all chaotic pop energy. They're great authors who explore similar themes, but its funny how opposed they are.

This kinda feels like 20 years of built-up dislike just exploded, and there's that one paragraph in here where he said he's distanced himself from any publisher or writer or person who's ever been associated with Grant Morrison. Its kinda amazing.

Whats the word on hinterkind and coffin hill? Does no one give a shit about them? Is FBP the only current vertigo worth a damn?
I read Coffin Hill #1, it didn't do anything for me at all on the art or writing front.
This kinda feels like 20 years of built-up dislike just exploded, and there's that one paragraph in here where he said he's distanced himself from any publisher or writer or person who's ever been associated with Grant Morrison. Its kinda amazing.
isn't there like a whole few paragraphs where he just slams this chick who interviewed Morrison a couple of times as a fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom