• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Ed Brisson has a book with Simon Roy that will be announced this week, sounds like a pretty great pairing. No word on length or publisher, but I'm guessing it's Image, maybe an ongoing? The only thing throwing me off is why not announce it at the expo if it's with image. He thought it would be announced yesterday but is now saying some time this week, so I'm guessing it's going to show up in someone's April solicits.

Pretty late on this, but that's me just seeing the 4 page preview for the empire of the dead book marvel has cooking. All I can say is I reaaally hope Romero has a gift for comics because the art is phenomenal.

How did a motherfucking Romero zombie comic book drop and I didn't know about it!!!!!!!! Oh my god!

Also, did you pick up the first Sheltered trade, donie? I wouldn't nesessarily recommend it, but if you have, I'd be curious as to your thoughts. What has Brisson written that has made you a fan? I found Sheltered to be frustrating so I dropped it. But I really enjoyed his crime mini series Murder Book (free to read now on Murderbookcomic.com!)

Yo, Maqui(s), why you gotta call me out like that? You're right though that, that was my main complaint, but even my appreciation for the basic premise started to break down after a few issues ( I bought #1-3 blind because of the recommendation/betrayal of some of the people here ;) )

We'll always have Rat Queens.
And Red Lanterns?????

I maintain that the premise of Trillium is pretty cool. And the last issue turned everything on it's head in an interesting way. I think the series started a bit slow, though. A lot of people seemed to like the first couple of issues but I liked them less than what followed.

We will always have Rat Queens indeed. Just about to sit down with my signed advance copy of issue 4, actually, neener neener.

And I'm waiting for Red Lanterns 27 to drop so issue 25 will go down to $2 on Comixology. Yes, let us hide my shame in spoiler tags

Owzers

16967.jpg

O___________O No deal.

Alright, nerds.

I've tweaked my list around. Of the non-DC stuff I currently pull or will be pulling;

PULLING
Image:
Saga
Rat Queens
Black Science
Dynamite:
Red Sonja

GOING TO PULL
Marvel:
Wolverine and the X-Men
Amazing X-Men

I have 1-3 slots open to add new stuff but I haven't been particularly inspired/convinced to get anything else yet. Convince me what I should get based on these.

Alright, nerds.

I've tweaked my list around. Of the non-DC stuff I currently pull or will be pulling;

PULLING
Image:
Saga
Rat Queens
Black Science
Dynamite:
Red Sonja

GOING TO PULL
Marvel:
Wolverine and the X-Men
Amazing X-Men

I have 1-3 slots open to add new stuff but I haven't been particularly inspired/convinced to get anything else yet. Convince me what I should get based on these.

You need Rachel Rising in your life. (Sorry, kids, but Rachel Rising is my new Six Gun Gorilla. You're going to hear about it a lot.) You like Rat Queens and Red Sonja, so here are some more female characters done right. Done perfectly, perhaps. It's a supernatural thriller, I guess you'd say? But it has a fair bit of levity and, when it's funny, it make me laugh out loud, which is no easy feat. The art is so great- really beautiful. I often just stop and admire a panel. Particularly just love how he draws people and their faces and expression. The detail is crazy. It's mysterious in that way that is fascinating but not confusing. If you just want to try it out the first issue is $2 on Comixology or $10 for the first volume of 6 issues.

Messi

Alright, nerds.

PULLING
Image:
Saga
Rat Queens
Black Science
Dynamite:
Red Sonja

GOING TO PULL
Marvel:
Wolverine and the X-Men
Amazing X-Men

Thor God of Thunder as it is fantastic and the art is really nice.

Sex Criminals because it is funny.

Messi

With my discount it's more like $7. If I don't get suggestions I'm just going to put three copies of Catwoman back onto my list.

Try out the first two issues of Harley Quinn. it was GAFs most recent comic of the month :p. We really like it. It considerably better than Catwoman.

tim1138

Alright, nerds.

PULLING
Image:
Saga
Rat Queens
Black Science
Dynamite:
Red Sonja

GOING TO PULL
Marvel:
Wolverine and the X-Men
Amazing X-Men

Manhattan Projects and Zero. I figure by now you can just look at my post history for the reasons these books are awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm modifying my list today, and opened up a few slots as I mentioned.

I am sorry, I really like it. But I did make two legitimate suggestions if that one is not to your liking.

I pull a majority of DC you don't think I got Harley? Messi plz.

How did a motherfucking Romero zombie comic book drop and I didn't know about it!!!!!!!! Oh my god!

Also, did you pick up the first Sheltered trade, donie? I wouldn't nesessarily recommend it, but if you have, I'd be curious as to your thoughts. What has Brisson written that has made you a fan? I found Sheltered to be frustrating so I dropped it. But I really enjoyed his crime mini series Murder Book (free to read now on Murderbookcomic.com!)

Haha I know, Marvel haven't necessarily hyped it the way you might expect. Did you find the preview? Looks really cool. Until we actually see what kind of handle he's got on comics pacing etc. though, it's not a sure thing though imo.

I have not read Sheltered yet Maq, I was super close (literally had it ordered on Amazon) after christmas, but I realised I could get a hold of The Wake Part 1, so I cancelled and put off Sheltered so I could get that. I think next week I'm going to do another round of trades though, and it should be in there. I haven't actually read anything by Brisson yet, so I guess I'm not technically a fan yet, but I've just been looking for an in on him, since it looks like he does the kind of stuff I like, so I was traipsing his twitter and saw his hints about his new books. I have Sheltered and Comeback sitting in my amazon basket though (along with Sleeper by Bru & Mind MGMT by Kindt, as it happens), so I will definitely share my thoughts once I pull the trigger on them. The premise seems super cool though. What was it that put you off? I'm going to go read that stuff at your link right now!

Oh snap. Teen Titans Annuel #3:
The Return of Bunker and Skitter?
A little surprising. I thought they'd been abandoned. Of the train wreck that Teen Titans has occasionally been,
these two characters were interesting additions.
Also, more Harvest? Interesting.

Messi

Tfaw says Hawkgal #16 is out on the 22nd of Jan and Hawkguy #15 is the month after. That can't be right. I thought this month was a clint issue.

Messi

Dat David Aja delay

Hey, I am not complaining. I read Hawkeye mostly for Kate, Clint is good and all but I like her more.

I seem to have missed the newest bombshell announcement. I wonder when DC will announce Catwoman because you know its coming. If you do Stargirl before Catwoman something has gone horribly wrong. I don't even know how you would do Catwoman in that style or say Batwoman.

Bombshell-Stargirl-statue-di-DC-Collectibles-1.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The idea is awesome, a quarterly with a pseudo-theme running through it, allowing talent to run wild on some Vertigo pages, but man, those covers are fucking disgusting. For fuck's sake, all the talented cover work that's associated with Vertigo...

CFASCD ("Cuh-fascuhd")
Comics Fans Against Stylish Cover Design
Est. Never Has Not Existed

http://www.newsarama.com/20036-1st-look-batman-28-s-spoiler-issue-cover.html

But take a very close look, specifically at the keyhole to the cell door (hint: tilt your head 90 degrees to the left)… We’ll wait for you…

design of a character in Batman's future appearing in Batman #28
CREDIT: DC Comics
View full size image
So now, what can that mean? We ran it through the Bat-computer we picked up at Radio Shack and it spit out two interpretations:

One – that Batman lands in jail. "Orange is the New Batsuit?"

Two – that Batman finally privatizes the Gotham City correctional facility system – i.e. he starts locking up his own prisoners. Many fans might argue he should have started doing that years ago.

Of course if he did he'd probably have one of those fancy see-through cells like in Thor: The Dark World and Star Trek: Into Darkness so he could have awesomely cinematic confrontations with his captives, but that wouldn't make for a cool teaser cover.

Add to that a couple of bits from the now infamous ‘Batsgiving’ teaser (see below) – a Commissioner Gordon seemingly bound by handcuffs and Alfred sporting what looks like a straightjacket, and you got some full-on intrigue.

Can't wait for this.

Haha I know, Marvel haven't necessarily hyped it the way you might expect. Did you find the preview? Looks really cool. Until we actually see what kind of handle he's got on comics pacing etc. though, it's not a sure thing though imo.

I have not read Sheltered yet Maq, I was super close (literally had it ordered on Amazon) after christmas, but I realised I could get a hold of The Wake Part 1, so I cancelled and put off Sheltered so I could get that. I think next week I'm going to do another round of trades though, and it should be in there. I haven't actually read anything by Brisson yet, so I guess I'm not technically a fan yet, but I've just been looking for an in on him, since it looks like he does the kind of stuff I like, so I was traipsing his twitter and saw his hints about his new books. I have Sheltered and Comeback sitting in my amazon basket though (along with Sleeper by Bru & Mind MGMT by Kindt, as it happens), so I will definitely share my thoughts once I pull the trigger on them. The premise seems super cool though. What was it that put you off? I'm going to go read that stuff at your link right now!

The thing with Romero is he uses Zombies in such a smart way, eh? It's social commentary disguised as face-eating monster horror. Which is always what the best zombie fiction does. He didn't invent that but he perfected it. I'm not worried about how well his writing will work in comics. I'm just really excited to see what he wants to say through this medium. Preview looks good. Vampires involved, too. Interesting.

Oh man, I made a long list of things that bugged me about a Sheltered issue once. Mostly it's logical, what, fallacies? I don't think that's the right phrase. Basically stuff that didn't make sense so I couldn't buy into it. I'd open the issue and suspend disbelief and then, whoop, there my disbelief would be again and again. I say it was frustrating because I liked the book overall. It's very tense, which is something I enjoy. It has good twists and an interesting premise. It suffers a bit in the character development side and the main character, or one of them, is a terrible person you want to die. But it's good if you can turn your brain off, I guess. I'm just an analytical brain gob, so I had to let it go.

Murder Book might be rote crime comics for all I know. I've read few crime comics. But I found it engaging and surprising and enjoyed the art, as well.

Rat Queens #4 is so good, you guys. I haven't had this much fun and smiled so much reading a comic since I was 13 years old reading Byrne's She-Hulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom