• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Grant Morrison has been passively-aggressively trolling Alan Moore for over 20 years, and things like Flex Mentallo and All-Star Superman are clearly direct responses to the deconstructionist 80s superhero work of Alan Moore like Miracleman or Watchmen. Moore is very meticulously structured and organized, Morrison is all chaotic pop energy. They're great authors who explore similar themes, but its funny how opposed they are.

This kinda feels like 20 years of built-up dislike just exploded, and there's that one paragraph in here where he said he's distanced himself from any publisher or writer or person who's ever been associated with Grant Morrison. Its kinda amazing.

Fucking A. lmao

I have to read this now.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
March: Book One was great and John Lewis passed by my office to talk about it and couldn't have been more amazing. I think we are bundling the MLK book with it at the moment but not sure.

*thumbs up*

It looks like they're currently bundled through Comixology, yeah, and all the proceeds from that reprint go to the Fellowship of Reconciliation. It's wild that that 16 page book has had such a life, most recently being translated into Arabic and getting distributed in Egypt and other places in recent years.

Looking forward to the remaining volumes, I just read a recent interview with Powell and it sounded like he was almost done with penciling and would begin inking Book Two.

tim1138

That Moore angst is amazing, I'm gonna have to read that interview.

Oh man his rant against Morrison is amazing.
This bit especially was great

I’m reliably informed that he has recently made the unprecedented move of expressing his dissatisfaction with the superhero industry, if only because there isn’t as much money in it as there used to be, and I imagine that there is a very strong likelihood that he will contrive to die within four to six months of my own demise, after leaving pre-dated documents testifying to the fact that he actually predeceased me

Why is Avengers World #2 credited to Hickman I was happy this book was Spencer I really don't want to have to buy another Avengers book

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That Moore angst is amazing, I'm gonna have to read that interview.

Oh man his rant against Morrison is amazing.
This bit especially was great

Embarrassing horseshit. When he writes one piece of work that contains 1/52 of the life-affirming quality that All-Star Superman radiates, he can go and talk his snake-god bullshit.

Also, I think he's still mad that in four issues of Flex Mentallo, Morrison eradicated the "death of the superhero" thesis that he wanted Watchmen to embody and left a loving, warm feeling, filled with terrific Frank Quitely art.

frye

Embarrassing horseshit. When he writes one piece of work that contains 1/52 of the life-affirming quality that All-Star Superman radiates, he can go and talk his snake-god bullshit.

Also, I think he's still mad that in four issues of Flex Mentallo, Morrison eradicated the "death of the superhero" thesis that he wanted Watchmen to embody and left a loving, warm feeling, filled with terrific Frank Quitely art.

spoken like a scottish tribute band-loving tory

XD

Moore hates Morrison, obviously. I don't see why anyone would feel the need to take sides.

kmfdmpig

It's kind of sad to see the creators I idolized as a kid embarrass themselves.
Frank Miller and Alan Moore were the big two for me (and for many) and now I need to put a wall between what they were and what they now are in order to not let their current nuttiness taint the great work they put out.
At least Claremont and Neal Adams just produced lower quality stuff, while maintaining sanity.
I wonder which of the current crop of artists/writers will fall in a similar way. Hopefully none, but chances are at least a few will.
It could be worse, I guess. I mean my three baseball heroes were Pete Rose, McGwire and Canseco.

Alan Moore is the most overrated writer of all time. I always find it funny that people make fun of Rob Liefeld and Image Comics of the 90s and don't realize Moore was writing half that shit. He got lucky with Watchmen and his whole gimmick that he was writing dark weird stuff at a time when comics were still conservative and treated as children entertainment just like Frankie Miller.

Grant Morrison on the other hand is actually a good writer. Seven Soldiers alone is better than anything moore shitted out including watchmen.

Chuck

Still without luck
So I've been out of comics for a little bit. Could someone please catch me up on the spiderman stuff? Last I heard was
the doc ock switcheroo
I saw Amazing #1 was coming and was curious what the dealio is.

Toa TAK

Banned
So I've been out of comics for a little bit. Could someone please catch me up on the spiderman stuff? Last I heard was
the doc ock switcheroo
Gotta read Superior Spider-Man.

Do it.

the doc ock switcheroo

As many people suspected, Peter will be returning somehow in April just in time to synergic with the new movie coming to theaters the following week.

The way Alan shredded Laura Sneddon during that interview was so fucking bad.

EDIT: For those who know more than me, which would probably be all of you, how long has Alan Moore been such a shit?

That Dan Slott stuff always sounded like the stupidest junk. I don't really have any interest in reading it.

So
Doc
is still
Spiderman/Peter
?

im a few issues behind but I believe that will be the case at least until April. Also is Superior Spider-Mans identity really a spoiler still? It's been over a year and the early parts of the story have been available in tpb for everyone to catch up if they wanted to.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
im a few issues behind but I believe that will be the case at least until April. Also is Superior Spider-Mans identity really a spoiler still? It's been over a year and the early parts of the story have been available in tpb for everyone to catch up if they wanted to.

Yea he is, but Peter's back in the picture (as we talked about earlier).

Earth 3 Joker is supposed to be dead after killing Owlman's Dick Grayson. I expect it to be Luthor

Luthor is way too predictable though. Why even bother with the hood if there just going to do that? I was hoping it would be something really wild and out there like a character from pre-new 52 who got displaced in the wake of Flashpoint or Superboy Prime or Psycho Pirate or something. Wally West was initially who I thought since it kinda fit with everything that was said about how he was dangerous and almost took down the CSA hence why he's all chained up but now he's coming back differently in the Flash Annual so I dunno. I guess it could be Professor Zoom also.

Chuck

Still without luck
Also I'm happy about Wally finally coming back, but I don't like how he looks now.

Should look like this..
ibdNb08Pl00CpI.png

Oh woops, I guess I was looking at a different pic. Dern CA...

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
XD

Moore hates Morrison, obviously. I don't see why anyone would feel the need to take sides.

It's comics, Freeze, we HAVE to take sides!

But really, I think Moore's Twilight of the Superheroes was such a fucking cool proposal and I'm bummed out it never saw the page. Ah, well, sometimes the Snake Lord giveth, sometimes he taketh away.

Dysun

Luthor is way too predictable though. Why even bother with the hood if there just going to do that? I was hoping it would be something really wild and out there like a character from pre-new 52 who got displaced in the wake of Flashpoint or Superboy Prime or Psycho Pirate or something. Wally West was initially who I thought since it kinda fit with everything that was said about how he was dangerous and almost took down the CSA hence why he's all chained up but now he's coming back differently in the Flash Annual so I dunno. I guess it could be Professor Zoom also.

I agree it is way too predictable and am hoping for a surprise twist. If this was Vegas the odds would be heavily in favor of it being Luthor though. Another surprise doppelganger would be the best choice

It's comics, Freeze, we HAVE to take sides!

But really, I think Moore's Twilight of the Superheroes was such a fucking cool proposal and I'm bummed out it never saw the page. Ah, well, sometimes the Snake Lord giveth, sometimes he taketh away.

I think they've both put out some excellent books. Moore's work is probably more accessible than some of the things Morrison has put out (a fuckton of LSD is probably to blame), but Moore has also put out some questionable things as well. Lost Girls springs to mind.

On the topic of Moore, is that Promethea omnibus ever fucking coming out? Ever?

InStockTrades is taking international orders now, it seems. But no flat-rate shipping outside the US.

Wait what's the run down on Earth 2 and Earth 3 in new 52 continuity. Earth 3 seems like it's still JLA= evil, villains= good like always but isn't there a Earth 2 on-going that to me does not seem like golden age versions of Earth One heroes.

Just read the first issue of Catwoman and Batwoman.
Catwoman = Ugh.
Batwoman = Hmm!

I need to get Nightwing's run, but I don't know if it is worth it. :/

Wait what's the run down on Earth 2 and Earth 3 in new 52 continuity. Earth 3 seems like it's still JLA= evil, villains= good like always but isn't there a Earth 2 on-going that to me does not seem like golden age versions of Earth One heroes.

Earth 2 is the JSA, but in that universe Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman had been around for awhile. They were established and well-loved heroes. Then Darkseid attacked and they died.

Now younger versions of the JSA heroes are beginning to appear as new 'Wonders', which is what Earth 2 calls its heroes. Jay Garrick Flash and Fate are still college aged. Alan Scott Green Lantern is a media mogul (powered by the Earth-2 version of the Swamp Thing's The Green). Hawkgirl, Sandman, and Atom are all related to the Earth-2 version of ARGUS or whatever called the World Army.

Huntress and Power Girl are Earth 2 refugees with Huntress being Bruce Wayne and Catwoman's daughter (and the former Robin) and Power Girl is Earth-2's Supergirl grown up.

Did you read the first few issues of Batman/Superman? The older, wiser versions of Batman and Superman in that were the Earth-2 guys.

I didn't care for the new Aquaman. It wasn't interesting and I didn't like the writing for Mera. Such a shame as I really enjoyed the Johns run.

Superboy aprime is under the hood.

Why the fuck do you five a second Aquaman book to Dan fuxking Jurjens? One of the blandest, plainest, boringest writers in this business? Who had one of ghe worst Aquaman runs in the post World War 2 era??? Aquaman, a character you are trying to elevate given to a writer who could not make an orgasm interesting. Dan Didio....

Veelk

Banned
So I just read Flex Mentallo, since I heard lots of good things about it and the recent Morrison vs Moore debate sparked my interest since it's supposed to be his response to watchmen somehow.

And at the end, I have no idea why I keep giving this guy a chance. Maybe with all his popularity, I am trying to get whatever it is everyone likes about him to click with me, but I've yet to read any story by him that wasn't mediocre, less than mediocre, or just flat out incomprehensible.

Flex Mentallo mostly falls into the latter catergory. Admittedly, I am a bit tired and I literally just read it over the past hour so maybe I haven't had time to reflect on it yet, but my immediate impressions are this: The majority of it came off as nothing but him whining that comics aren't like he personally likes them to be and there was some nonsense about the world ending for reasons I don't recall being informed of. It's not that his message of optimism doesn't have some merit, but I could never tolerate people who completely dismiss pessimistic or optimistic perspectives and Morrison does exactly that to the former. It's obnoxious enough that it's tempting to dislike the comic on general principle but that's unnecessary since it's the majority of it was dull on principle, with random things happening that barely made any sense whatsoever. I'm sure they have some symbolism or whatever excuse people come up for him this time. The best and most interesting thing it talks about is how our ideas shape us and how superheroes conform to those ideas, but it's far too buried deep in the narrative gibberish that is Morrison's trade mark.

I just don't get it, clearly. Maybe there is some hidden trick to reading Morrison's stuff the right way that will prove why everything he writes is solid gold, but I just don't see it. I've read Arkham Asylum, All Star Superman, a quarter of his Batman run, and now this, and nothing he has written has ever reached greater heights than 'okay', usually falling far shorter than that. I don't think he's merely overrated, he's flat out bad with a huge fanbase that I cannot comprehend for the life of me. He is the stephanie meyer of comic books, except with a much wider fanbase and a lot more drugs. And as for his dispute with Moore, I don't really know their full history, but someone commented that he's basically been trolling Moore for the past 20 years. If that's true, I don't see how its unreasonable that Moore just told him that he could fuck off.

Whats the word on hinterkind and coffin hill? Does no one give a shit about them? Is FBP the only current vertigo worth a damn?

Waiting on these to hit trade so I can check them out. Definitely want to give them a shot.

Unwritten too

The Unwritten is so good, it's a dead heat between that and AmVamp for best at Vertigo. Mostly interminable since they're so different to each other, but the unwritten is really really good.

I need to get Nightwing's run, but I don't know if it is worth it. :/

I'd recommend Talon as a natural extension of Batman, over Nightwing. I really haven't enjoyed Higgin's run. It's had small moments here and there but the whole thing has seemed so aimless and throwaway, absolutely no point to it. All while Snyder has laid down MAJOR stuff for the character, between the Black Mirror and Court Of Owls, it doesn't really feel like Higgins took advantage of any of it. Hell, he had the whole new 52 reset to do exciting stuff with Dick, and just nada. I can't imagine I'll ever reread the run when it's done.

The Unwritten is so good, it's a dead heat between that and AmVamp for best at Vertigo. Mostly interminable since they're so different to each other, but the unwritten is really really good.

I was loving it all the way up to the Fables crossover. That shit killed it for me. Hopefully Apocalypse is good.

I was loving it all the way up to the Fables crossover. That shit killed it for me. Hopefully Apocalypse is good.
Of course Fables was going to kill the momentum. What a piece of shit that book is. Did Bill Wilingham used to be an editor or something? Lets just replace two dimension fairy tail traits with modern day two dimension traits. Great piece of writing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd recommend Talon as a natural extension of Batman, over Nightwing. I really haven't enjoyed Higgin's run. It's had small moments here and there but the whole thing has seemed so aimless and throwaway, absolutely no point to it. All while Snyder has laid down MAJOR stuff for the character, between the Black Mirror and Court Of Owls, it doesn't really feel like Higgins took advantage of any of it. Hell, he had the whole new 52 reset to do exciting stuff with Dick, and just nada. I can't imagine I'll ever reread the run when it's done.

To be fair, the first year of Higgin's run was consumed by the Court of Owls plotline. That said, he only had to hit one point home and could have done it better. It's still a great run though, I'll probably drop it when he's gone though.

Dysun

Nightwing has been thoroughly mediocre since the New 52 started. I read almost the whole run and barely remember any of it, something circus, something Zucco, something tie-in issues

Haha, that bad huh? I read by trade, they're still dragging their heels on getting the Orpheus arc out, I don't think I'll be onto the fables crossover until Summer time-ish. That's a disappointment but at least I can use it as a vehicle for something else. My girlfriend is a huge fables fan, hopefully going to use it was an enticement to start reading my Unwritten collection haha. It's the kind of book that you really want to discuss with someone after you read a volume. So dense, so much good stuff, and not just mysteries, it really makes you think about fiction.

To be fair, the first year of Higgin's run was consumed by the Court of Owls plotline. That said, he only had to hit one point home and could have done it better. It's still a great run though, I'll probably drop it when he's gone though.

That's the thing though man, bar two or maybe three major scenes, the entire first trade worth of Nightwing doesn't deal with the Court at all. He doesn't do anything that interesting in the meantime (demons in louisiana, wtf) nor does he take advantage of the Court stuff too much. You don't feel like that's driving him one way or changing him one way, you don't feel like the black mirror has changed him too much, barely any of those characters/villians come over
although I know Sonia Branch arrives later
. In the second trade, I actually quite like the two part Night Of owls stuff and it almost lays down a brand new direction for Dick. THE GRAY SON OF GOTHAM haha. Tehy set up this nice ide aof what he has been and what he was meant to be and how, in a city wher epeople are routinely broken down and driven to crime and Batman deals with that very black and white-ly, he can be the force that stands in the middle, because he has that compassion yada yada...except then there's really nothing of that after. Now this said, I do appreciate as you say, he had stuff to tie into, I can't possibly know what boxes he was told he HAD to stay within etc., but I guess at the end of the day, regardless of the reasoning, it just hasn't been that good a read. Higgins doesn't have the raw talent or touch for characterisation, relationships etc. to make any old plot feel exciting and important, he barely builds a support cast or relationships during that first year, the vague relationship he does build is wiped away with a ~twist~ that once again, seemingly fails to really impact the character in a discernible way.. There is a facade of a support cast, but barely anything tangible. I respect what you're saying though man.

My girlfriend is a big Nightwing fan so I've got her volume 3 for her Birthday (this friday) so I'll likely read it after her. I think she's even going to drop it after Forever Evil unless there's big things in store.

It's too bad, I do like Nightwing a bit. The first arc was alright, then it was Court of the Owls for a few issues, then some weak ass filler arc with weaker ass art, then an arc with Brett Booth, then i stopped caring. is Higgins even still doing it?

ElNarez

Banned
So I just read Flex Mentallo, since I heard lots of good things about it and the recent Morrison vs Moore debate sparked my interest since it's supposed to be his response to watchmen somehow.

And at the end, I have no idea why I keep giving this guy a chance. Maybe with all his popularity, I am trying to get whatever it is everyone likes about him to click with me, but I've yet to read any story by him that wasn't mediocre, less than mediocre, or just flat out incomprehensible.

Flex Mentallo mostly falls into the latter catergory. Admittedly, I am a bit tired and I literally just read it over the past hour so maybe I haven't had time to reflect on it yet, but my immediate impressions are this: The majority of it came off as nothing but him whining that comics aren't like he personally likes them to be and there was some nonsense about the world ending for reasons I don't recall being informed of. It's not that his message of optimism doesn't have some merit, but I could never tolerate people who completely dismiss pessimistic or optimistic perspectives and Morrison does exactly that to the former. It's obnoxious enough that it's tempting to dislike the comic on general principle but that's unnecessary since it's the majority of it was dull on principle, with random things happening that barely made any sense whatsoever. I'm sure they have some symbolism or whatever excuse people come up for him this time. The best and most interesting thing it talks about is how our ideas shape us and how superheroes conform to those ideas, but it's far too buried deep in the narrative gibberish that is Morrison's trade mark.

I just don't get it, clearly. Maybe there is some hidden trick to reading Morrison's stuff the right way that will prove why everything he writes is solid gold, but I just don't see it. I've read Arkham Asylum, All Star Superman, a quarter of his Batman run, and now this, and nothing he has written has ever reached greater heights than 'okay', usually falling far shorter than that. I don't think he's merely overrated, he's flat out bad with a huge fanbase that I cannot comprehend for the life of me. He is the stephanie meyer of comic books, except with a much wider fanbase and a lot more drugs. And as for his dispute with Moore, I don't really know their full history, but someone commented that he's basically been trolling Moore for the past 20 years. If that's true, I don't see how its unreasonable that Moore just told him that he could fuck off.

A good place to start in order to understand why people like Flex Mentallo is David Brothers' "Gamble a Stamp" series. It's 4 pieces getting into what makes it work as, and I'm liberally quoting the opening paragraph of the first article here, "a story, comics journalism, a history lesson and auto-critique in pamphlet form". It even addresses most of the points you have raised. But since you didn't like All-Star Superman, I feel your opinion should be null and void.

As for the Moore / Morrison rivalry, I've always had the feeling that it was a bullshit comics journalism thing that got out of hand, built on overblown little slights one may have made to the other, that went on to this level of open warfare because both sides were caught into the theatrics of it all. The crazy world of comics needed its Grumpy Old Bitter Snake God versus Stupid Grinning Junkie Sell-Out deathmatch because it made for a better story than what the fuck ever Dan Jurgens was pumping out, and it still does today.

That said, it still speaks volumes on Alan Moore's character that he was the one to pull the lengthy tirade of seething anger unprovoked after being asked about the use of rape as a plot device in his writing, presumably because Morrison had spoken out on the very subject at some point. As this was claimed by many to be Moore's last interview ever, let's hope this was just him taking this thing out in a blaze of glory to encourage us to stop ever paying attention to anything he might say and just buy whatever LXG book he's got coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom