• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeeaykay

Anything similar to Blankets? I thought that was an amazing GN and had a pretty big effect on me.

I absolutely adore blankets, and is the one graphic novel that really got me into comics as a medium.

Are there any main themes you're looking for? I read Asterios Polyp around the same time, which was an incredible 1-2 punch. A bit more intellectual than Blankets, but the art is amazing and at the heart of it is a love story.

If you're looking for emotion in comics, you can't beat Adrian Tomine's Optic Nerve series, which are collected in trades. Pick up the first one, Sleepwalk, and let me know what you think! It collects a series of vignettes, from one page to twenty or more, that offer a glimpse in various peoples lives.

tim1138

The art is going to suffer but thank Moses for the change in writing. Seriously, I was actively angry everytime I read a Buchafuckgivesashit written Flash because he sunk those beautiful Manapul pages. I think the two are now entertwined, like the venom symbiote, and this makes me sad because I wont be picking up any Manapul books then.

Not disagreeing with you at all, but nothing I've read from Vendetti and Van Jensen makes me think they'll be any better.

I can't wait to see what Manapul does with Batman and Gotham.

Favorite artist at DC right now are:

Tony Daniel
Greg Cupullo
Francis Manapul
Jason Fabok
Brett Booth
Ivan Reis
Patrick Gleason
And #1 Andrea Sorrentino

Savitar

We need to see a renewal of the Wally and Kyle friendship.

Throw in poor Grayson as well, that guy could use some good friends.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Not disagreeing with you at all, but nothing I've read from Vendetti and Van Jensen makes me think they'll be any better.

Oy, I just looked up Vendetti. He took over Demon Knights after Paul Cornell and is currently on Green Lantern (?). Yikes.

Well, maybe the two will combine and make a halfway decent Flash comic?

Should'a just given it to Charles Soule

GUESS WHO'S BACK

BACK AGAIN

WALLY'S BACK

TELL A FRIEND

njB5xux.png

Owzers

I don't care about your walleys.

Apparently The Twelve #12 has been having loading problems since November....so that's not good. I guess i'm never going to finish The Twelve after all, maybe Marvel just wants MU readers to sympathize with monthly readers.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
More confirmations for DC's new offerings in April.

SECRET ORIGINS #1
Written by TONY BEDARD, KYLE HIGGINS and GREG PAK
Art by PAULO SIQUEIRA, WILL CONRAD and others
Cover by LEE BERMEJO
1:25 Variant cover by ANDY KUBERT
On sale APRIL 23 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T
At last, the SECRET ORIGINS of the World’s Greatest Heroes in The New 52 can be revealed! This new series gets off to an awesome start with the origins of The Last Son of Krypton and Kara Zor-El, Supergirl, plus the first Robin, Dick Grayson.

FOREVER EVIL AFTERMATH: BATMAN VS. BANE #1
Written by PETER J. TOMASI
Art and cover by SCOT EATON and JAIME MENDOZA
1:25 Variant cover by KEVIN NOWLAN
ONE-SHOT • On sale APRIL 30 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
The title says it all! FOREVER EVIL is over! Now, Batman has returned to take Gotham City back – by force! The only thing standing in his way? BANE! Get ready for the grudge match of the year!

Cheska

In other news, I bought the first volume of Rachel Rising on Comixology. Read the first two issues last night and all I've though about since waking up today is reading the rest. The first (and second) volumes are only $10 on Comixology and I heartily recommend you all check them out. Volume 1 is 6 issues which is a real steal for $10 considering the individual (print) issues go for $4 (digitally the earlier issues are $2, I think?).

Anyone else here reading Rachel Rising? Two issues in I am SO INTRIGUED. How great are Terry Moore's characters?
Pretty great.

I'm so glad to see more people aboard the Rachel Rising train. I started the series late last year (November I think?) and it's been such a fun ride so far. I truly love books that have a strong, female protagonist and I'd say Rachel is definitely up there. I bought Echo and Strangers in Paradise but haven't read them yet, but if they're even a fraction as interesting as RR then I'm sure I'll enjoy them.

GUESS WHO'S BACK

BACK AGAIN

WALLY'S BACK

TELL A FRIEND
that creative team tho
What's everyone's critique of Booth. I love his stuff in Batman/Superman.
can't stand him. When I read Teen Titans #1 when it came out, I disliked the art just as much as I did Lobdell's writing. I hate it less now (nothing is as bad as Lobdell's writing) but it's still deterred me from every book he's done recently - JLA, Nightwing, Bats/Supes
This looks great from Booth.

Ba5b68DCQAA_TeB.jpg
...but this doesn't look bad. pretty good, even. maybe he needs to ditch his colorist.
Stephanie Brown, Wally West... who's next?
ATLEE TERRA

The Adder

Banned
Would anyone be at all interested in doing a tourney like the one on GameFAQs CaGN board? Basically we come up with a tiered list of comic characters, draft teams, then have something a little like a combination of fantasy football and debate?

arkon

The art is going to suffer but thank Moses for the change in writing. Seriously, I was actively angry everytime I read a Buchafuckgivesashit written Flash because he sunk those beautiful Manapul pages. I think the two are now entertwined, like the venom symbiote, and this makes me sad because I wont be picking up any Manapul books then.

Is it all Booch though? Weren't they co-writers on the Flash? Was there a more detailed breakdown of who did what on each issue?

Ah, jesus. I like Venditti & Van Jensen's independent books, Surrogates, Homeland Directive and Pinocchio Vampire Slayer are all sitting in on my shelf in my collection (haven't tried any of their dc work), but Booth. Instant deflator for myself. I know some guys like that 90s/Jim Lee style he goes for, but it's not for me in the slightest. I had kind of been hoping the new Flash team would blow me away.

Is it all Booch though? Weren't they co-writers on the Flash? Was there a more detailed breakdown of who did what on each issue?

I think they co-plotted together then Booch scripted? Don't quote me, but I believe this was the case.

8House doesn't sound as interesting today as it did during the excitement of yhe Image Expo. Several different minis not drawn by him? Comeon brah, ot schway at all.

Kurt Christianson and Reilly Brown's Power Play is on sale, there's only 5 issues (one of which is a free #0) so i just bought all of them. I met Reilly Brown at SDCC last year, cool dude (i bought his sketchbook, even) and the book is one of those digital comics that utilizes the format to the fullest, where it creates a sense of motion panel by panel. I'm pretty sure it's the same as the Marvel Infinite comics, but I've never read those. The book itself is basically young people with superpowers using them for money and online hits and such; #0 was fun, dk about the rest but I'm looking forward to reading them. At least they'll look really good!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
http://www.slashfilm.com/orangeblue-contrast-in-movie-posters/

That bold color choice that is everrrrrrrrrrrrywhere.

And i just noticed it's on my avatar photo too from Zatanna's cover. Does it ever end!

I feel like I might be responsible. In '94 or so, the girl who was running Wildstorm's color department came by one of my classes. She was going on about pop and light/dark contrast and I was like... "Why aren't you doing warm/cool contrast if you want pop?"

I'm so glad to see more people aboard the Rachel Rising train. I started the series late last year (November I think?) and it's been such a fun ride so far. I truly love books that have a strong, female protagonist and I'd say Rachel is definitely up there. I bought Echo and Strangers in Paradise but haven't read them yet, but if they're even a fraction as interesting as RR then I'm sure I'll enjoy them.
Yeah but it is understandable that he would be overshadowed by his brothers Tradd and Tony. Great book though. Tony brah, get better, gest past your drug addiction and get to work on a Western with Rick Remender. C

Secret Origins is not going to last long at all like most anthology books. Waste of space.

I think people who are enthusiastic for the return of Wally are going to ultimately be disappointed unless they can craft a real great, unique origin for him, that sets him apart from Barry.

Why? Because the thing that made Wally so great is that he was the torchbearer that took up the mantle after Barry. He grew, organically, into the role.I hhonestly feel that if you just toss him back into the mix that he is going to suffer the same fate that New 52 Tim Drake has, in that he is kind of superfluous. Tim Drake and to a lesser degree, Jason Todd, shouldn't exist in the New 52. It's too much in too short of a time, but if you are going to have them you have to make their new place in things much different from before, which will outrage your typical fan.

You've seen them try, in the unfortunate hands of Lobdell, to make Tims role more closely tied to Teen Titans, than Batman. I actually applaud that in some small degree, and really feel his connection to Batman should have actually been lessened than it already has. Remove him from having been a Robin all together, and make his new origin completely as a Titan. It would have at least been something different.

Edit for grammar

tim1138

I think people who are enthusiastic for the return of Wally are going to ultimately be disappointed unless they can craft a real great, unique origin for him, that sets him apart from Barry.

Why? Because the thing that made Wally so great isn't at he was the torchbearer that took up the mantle after Barry. He grew, organically, into the role.I hhonestly feel that if you just toss him back into the mix that he is going to suffer the same fate that New 52 Tim Drake has, in that he is kind of superfluous. Tim Drake and to a lesser degree, Jason Todd, shouldn't exist in the New 52. It's too much in too short of a time, but if you are going to have them you have to make their new place in things much different from before, which will outrage your typical fan.

You've seen them try, in the unfortunate hands of Lobdell, to make Tims role more closely tied to Teen Titans, than Batman. I actually applaud that in some small degree, and really feel his connection to Batman should have actually been lessened than it already has. Remove him from having been a Robin all together, and make his new origin completely as a Titan. It would have at least been something different.

You're completely right, in a universe that's where metahumans have only existed for about five years, it makes no sense to already have a second generation of heroes showing up. You can make the same case about the Green Lanterns as well--up until 5 years ago in the N52verse there were no human GL's and then suddenly one a year? The compressed timeline removes the organic nature of letting these characters show up and grow.

You can make the same case about the Green Lanterns as well--up until 5 years ago in the N52verse there were no human GL's and then suddenly one a year? The compressed timeline removes the organic nature of letting these characters show up and grow.

This was always my problem with Johns forcing another human GL on us in the N52. Baz should have been some one they held onto and introduced like 10 years after N52 started. Not now, same with having Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Damian all being Robin. Should have dropped Todd from the Universe, and if they knew Damian was going to be killed off, saved Drake's introduction for after Damian's death. It almost keeps the same flow then, with Damian replacing Todd as the Robin that is lost. Then we could have had a Grayson led Titans, and no one would have to suffer through the terrible book that is Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Rafa help me take down and replace Didio and I'll give you any title you want to write. Join me and together we can RULE the DC Universe.

monome

Don't ask for Didio to leave.

Just tempt Snyder and Lemire with writting more author owned comics...then you'll see Nu52 crumple like the pile of shit it is.

This was always my problem with Johns forcing another human GL on us in the N52. Baz should have been some one they held onto and introduced like 10 years after N52 started. Not now, same with having Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Damian all being Robin. Should have dropped Todd from the Universe, and if they knew Damian was going to be killed off, saved Drake's introduction for after Damian's death. It almost keeps the same flow then, with Damian replacing Todd as the Robin that is lost. Then we could have had a Grayson led Titans, and no one would have to suffer through the terrible book that is Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Rafa help me take down and replace Didio and I'll give you any title you want to write. Join me and together we can RULE the DC Universe.
If I can comquer Walmart, I can conquer anything. Let's do it bother.

Where the hell is Southern Bastards?

tim1138

Just tempt Snyder and Lemire with writting more author owned comics...then you'll see Nu52 crumple like the pile of shit it is.

Lemire has never stopped doing creator owned work. Since Lost Dogs came out in 2005, he's pretty consistently released a creator owned project every one to two years. Lost Dogs in 2005, the individual Essex County ogn's came out in 2007 & 2008, the Nobody in 2009, Sweet Tooth started in 2009 and run through 2013, the Underwater Welder released in 2012, Trillium started last year, and he has a new OGN due out in 2015 from Simon & Schuster about a hockey player.

I think he was just saying that if Lemire and Snyder were to vacant the new 52, that would be it for him in terms of quality, not insinuating Lemire doesn't do enough creator owned stuff.

I really liked The Nobody, I thought that was a cool book.

tim1138

I think he was just saying that if Lemire and Snyder were to vacant the new 52, that would be it for him in terms of quality, not insinuating Lemire doesn't do enough creator owned stuff.

I really liked The Nobody, I thought that was a cool book.

Yeah I get that, I was just pointing out that I don't think you could tempt Lemire away with creator owned stuff, as he always has something in the works. Wouldn't be surprised if he uses his work for hire stuff to fund his creator owned stuff.

I love the Nobody, it's right up there with Essex County for me.

Except that a lot of these writers use their positions at the Big 2 as, more or less, PR for their creator owned work. Keeping that visibility by doing a handful of cape titles helps their indie titles.

I still haven't read Essex County :( I have the nobody, all of sweet tooth, & the underwater welder, but nothing from before those. I really need to make that happen but there's so much I want to catch up on and read haha.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yeah I get that, I was just pointing out that I don't think you could tempt Lemire away with creator owned stuff, as he always has something in the works. Wouldn't be surprised if he uses his work for hire stuff to fund his creator owned stuff.

I think Lemire succeeds more in the graphic novel format as opposed to issues. Underwater Welder is a fantastic book, and Trillium is just the most underwhelming thing I've read in a while.

I think Lemire succeeds more in the graphic novel format as opposed to issues. Underwater Welder is a fantastic book, and Trillium is just the most underwhelming thing I've read in a while.

I agree about Trillium. Underwhelming is the word I've used to describe it, as well. But Sweet Tooth is so amazing and that was released in issues.

tim1138

I still haven't read Essex County :( I have the nobody, all of sweet tooth, & the underwater welder, but nothing from before those. I really need to make that happen but there's so much I want to catch up on and read haha.

Lost Dogs is probably worth the $5 it costs on comixology. Essex County is easily his best work to date, no doubt in my mind.

Filthy Slug said:

Yeah, I agree. That's why I decided to wait until Trillium was finished before I read it.

arkon

8House doesn't sound as interesting today as it did during the excitement of yhe Image Expo. Several different minis not drawn by him? Comeon brah, ot schway at all.

It worked fine in Prophet. If we can get similar sort of creative teams it'll all be good. Graham can draw an arc or two as part of the rotation of artists.

Once the second hardcover is out, I'm gonna order them both. So excited (I haven't read it yet). The first library edition looks gorgeous/massive.

Yeah, I have vol 1 library and it's the coolest book I own. It's big, colorful, paper is amazing, great quality.

OH MAN. AM I VINDICATED FOR WHEN I CALLED TRILLIUM UNDERWHELMING?

No, because your main point was that the art was shit and it is not. The art is beautiful and lovely and wonderful and you are still a monster for suggesting otherwise.

The main problem with Trillium, IMO, is the dialogue. Half of it is "Huh?" "What's going on?" "How is this happening?" So much of this kind of needless dialogue that I've rolled my eyes a purple times.

It's not that Trillium is bad. I still think it's good, it just pales in comparison to some of Lemire's other creator-owned work. It has some good things. A couple of the issues have really impressed me. But overall it's disappointing when you expect a lot from a guy who has blown you away in the past.

Edit: I was gonna edit where I say "I rolled my eyes a purple times." But.. No. Purple times. Let it stand.

Pretty late on this, but that's me just seeing the 4 page preview for the empire of the dead book marvel has cooking. All I can say is I reaaally hope Romero has a gift for comics because the art is phenomenal.

No, because your main point was that the art was shit and it is not. The art is beautiful and lovely and wonderful and you are still a monster for suggesting otherwise.

Yo, Maqui(s), why you gotta call me out like that? You're right though that, that was my main complaint, but even my appreciation for the basic premise started to break down after a few issues ( I bought #1-3 blind because of the recommendation/betrayal of some of the people here ;) )

We'll always have Rat Queens.
And Red Lanterns?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom