• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
Finally got Fabes #1 yesterday.

But dat Superior Spider-Man #25!

Looks like
Peter is back in the game. And the Avengers want to kick Spider-Man's ass. Plus, Goblin vs. Goblin.
Shit's getting real.

DagsJT

For someone new to Spiderman, should I read Superior or Ultimate Comics?

Thanks for the earlier replies regarding comics similar to Blankets, by the way.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hello Comic-GAF, just getting back into the medium after having not read much since the mid-90's.

Started 'Y the Last Man' and am 20 issues in and really freaking love it. A friend loaned me the current run of Saga to read after I finish, and I also have most of Fables on loan to get started with as well soon after.

I have read many of the classics like Maus, Watchmen, most of the major Batman novels from Loeb, Sale, Miller, Moore, etc...(loved Batman way back). I do need to read Sandman soon too as it has been on my mind for over a decade.

A basic list below of what I have considered in my list to read:

-Y the Last Man (currently reading)
-Saga
-Fables
-Sandman
-Astonishing X-men (have access to motion comic version)
-Buffy Season 8/9(loved the show)
-X-Men Days of Future Past(pre-movie release)
-League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Anything to add?

I've been told 100 Bullets is great, as is Locke and Key. I've never been a big Superman fan, but Red Son is constantly recommended. Also Infinite Crisis(?) or some such is usually brought up but I know little of it, can't remember exact title of the series but I think that's it.

Anything else to add? I should probably read Walking Dead, my only exposure is the Telltale game as I have not watched the TV show either.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks for the earlier replies regarding comics similar to Blankets, by the way.

Ultimate Spider-Man is a great intro to comics in general, but if you want to start following the main line and keep up with that Superior might be your best bet.

Toa TAK

Banned

Superior. It's awesome.

Plus with all the stuff going on, this is the comic to keep up with current events.

Hello Comic-GAF, just getting back into the medium after having not read much since the mid-90's.

Started 'Y the Last Man' and am 20 issues in and really freaking love it. A friend loaned me the current run of Saga to read after I finish, and I also have most of Fables on loan to get started with as well soon after.

I have read many of the classics like Maus, Watchmen, most of the major Batman novels from Loeb, Sale, Miller, Moore, etc...(loved Batman way back). I do need to read Sandman soon too as it has been on my mind for over a decade.

-Saga
-Fables
-Sandman

Anything to add?

I've been told 100 Bullets is great, as is Locke and Key. I've never been a big Superman fan, but Red Son is constantly recommended. Also Infinite Crisis(?) or some such is usually brought up but I know little of it, can't remember exact title of the series but I think that's it.

Anything else to add? I should probably read Walking Dead, my only exposure is the Telltale game as I have not watched the TV show either.

Locke and Key. American Vampire. Sweet Tooth. Scalped. Criminal

Or Hill, Snyder, Lemire, Aaron & Bru, the top 5 guys I would recommend to people into comics, or just getting started. I'd normally recommend Y too but you've got that and are off to a brilliant start already.

tim1138

I've been reading it as well and would fully agree with everything you've written here. I probably share the same fears, is there going to be enough story there for 18 issues, which is a lot. So far I'd mostly yes, I think there's been a little padding here and there and I hope it doesn't go beyond that.

*Edit* I meant to writer more before I hit post. It is really interesting to me how tied to Judeo Christian ideas the overall DC Universe is. It makes sense in some ways with characters like The Spectre, and now in N52 Phantom Stranger. It makes me wonder slightly too, how that ties/connects with the multiverse and things like CoIE. Is the God of the DC Universe a being that exists continuously outside all of that? Or is it a being that's created in each Universe like the characters?

I don't think this is something DC's ever hinted to or commented on, but I could be wrong.

My impression has always been that beings like the New Gods and God exist beyond the Multiverse. If I remember correctly, it was Krona trying to witness the birth of creation that caused the splintering and formation of the Multiverse, so it makes sense in my mind for their to be a sole Creator. But I think you're right, I don't believe DC has ever officially addressed it.

Tim, I read Constantine. It was really good. I really like the way they handle God in this story. As someone with a Catholic upbringing who is almost borderline agnostic now (yes I'm a fence sitter), what I got from this story is God is Love. They all got that hole in their heart filled with what they need to continue on their journey. It's a classic story tale (ex. Wizard of Oz) but really cool with these characters.

RAT QUEENS
Skullkickers is really funny and captures the style of a fantasy game well.
IDW's Dungeons & Dragons series (three trades: Shadowplague, First Encouters and Down). I enjoyed the Eberron issues of Infestation II and the Annual that came from it.
Pathfinder ongoing is quite good.
Red Sonja can be a mixed bag, however the current series by Gail Simone is wonderful.
Brian Wood's Conan run is meant to be very good.
RAT QUEENS (so good, I listed it twice)

Thanks for the recs btw. RAT QUEENS and Skull Kickers both sound fantastic.

My impression has always been that beings like the New Gods and God exist beyond the Multiverse. If I remember correctly, it was Krona trying to witness the birth of creation that caused the splintering and formation of the Multiverse, so it makes sense in my mind for their to be a sole Creator. But I think you're right, I don't believe DC has ever officially addressed it.
Yeah, at least regarding God, I've always considered him to exist on a level way beyond these multiverse/continuity issues (essentially what Augustine wrote, that God exists beyond time and space, everywhere and everywhen at once).

As for the New Gods, my take on them is that they have physical avatars that are definitely affected by the multiverse and continuity (see Earth 2 for example). But these avatars, the characters we know, are only aspects of bigger archetypical entities, principles, that exist on a different plane from the whole multiverse. And their avatars are affected by whatever happens on this plane we never see. I'd say Final Crisis makes that point pretty clearly.

(I love this stuff!)

tim1138

Tim, I read Constantine. It was really good. I really like the way they handle God in this story. As someone with a Catholic upbringing who is almost borderline agnostic now (yes I'm a fence sitter), what I got from this story is God is Love. They all got that hole in their heart filled with what they need to continue on their journey. It's a classic story tale (ex. Wizard of Oz) but really cool with these characters.

And how great was Constantine scheming to
trap the Spectre and sell him back to God
, before realizing the Voice could hear his thoughts? I hope we actually get to see what the others were shown, especially Pandora since they revealed she's going to be an agent of the Light.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

-Saga
-Fables
-Sandman

Hey man! If I were you I'd skip Days of Future Past and Buffy. Future Past is going to be very unlike the movie, and it's an old X-Men comic which means the writing and art will be objectively pretty bad. Seeing as you don't have the nostalgia tags to drag you through it it might be a struggle. Buffy is just simply not very good. Very long, doesn't go anywhere for ages, and then where it does go is a bit of a kick in the balls for a fan. IMO read the first trade and know that it is the very best the series will ever be and take it from there.

Start with Sandman.

I won't add anything else, because that there is one very full plate. Read it all, come back and tell us what you liked and we can steer you from there.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Superior is a lot shorter but seems to be a middle-chapter in a larger story. Very different story as well, it's not 'normal' Spidey.

Ultimate, if you start at Vol 1 (2000) is a very long and very consistently good 'classic' Spidey story. You get kid Peter, first time he's meeting baddies, minimal continuity fuckery. It's the one book that I've never dropped since #1. That's hiiiiiiigh praise. And then if you like the Universe a lot of the other Ultimate books were pretty good, or had good chunks. Lots to be getting on with over there.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, at least regarding God, I've always considered him to exist on a level way beyond these multiverse/continuity issues (essentially what Augustine wrote, that God exists beyond time and space, everywhere and everywhen at once).

As for the New Gods, my take on them is that they have physical avatars that are definitely affected by the multiverse and continuity (see Earth 2 for example). But these avatars, the characters we know, are only aspects of bigger archetypical entities, principles, that exist on a different plane from the whole multiverse. And their avatars are affected by whatever happens on this plane we never see. I'd say Final Crisis makes that point pretty clearly.

(I love this stuff!)

That's a really great reading of the New Gods, I like that a lot. I wonder what would happen if Earth 1 and 2 versions of the same New Gods met each other?? Oh man that would be cool. If Morrison wrote it :D :D :D

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hey man! If I were you I'd skip Days of Future Past and Buffy. Future Past is going to be very unlike the movie, and it's an old X-Men comic which means the writing and art will be objectively pretty bad. Seeing as you don't have the nostalgia tags to drag you through it it might be a struggle. Buffy is just simply not very good. Very long, doesn't go anywhere for ages, and then where it does go is a bit of a kick in the balls for a fan. IMO read the first trade and know that it is the very best the series will ever be and take it from there.

Start with Sandman.

I won't add anything else, because that there is one very full plate. Read it all, come back and tell us what you liked and we can steer you from there.

Thanks. Really blows to hear about Buffy, was excited to find out the show continued through two new seasons but I'll hold off while I get through the essentials first, but the fan part of me is damn curious.

My only real knowledge of Xmen Days of Future Past comes from the 90's TV show which I recall having its own version of the arc. Will also hold off until summer before I see the movie as I do really want to give it a chance before seeing the changes in the film, aged or not.

I'll move Sandman up to read after Y the Last Man for sure. Fables is gonna be a long read, so many issues, side stories, etc... I'd at least like to get through an early chunk before trying out the Telltale game, which I am holding off on until all episodes release anyway.

Thanks again!

Buffy is just simply not very good. Very long, doesn't go anywhere for ages, and then where it does go is a bit of a kick in the balls for a fan. IMO read the first trade and know that it is the very best the series will ever be and take it from there.

Unbelievably accurate man. Wish I'd know that a few years ago when I bought the first volume, loved it, then bought the whole rest of that *season* simultaneously, and proceeded to like very little of the following volumes. Sold them all subsequently and bailed out entirely on the series for good. Astonishingly disappointing.

Owzers

i read through Season 9 of buffy but i might skip 10 or trade wait it based on reviews. I did really like the initial season 8 buffy arcs too then....twilight stuff happened.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Looks like
Peter is back in the game. And the Avengers want to kick Spider-Man's ass. Plus, Goblin vs. Goblin.
Shit's getting real.

How could you forget
the people of NYC rebelling against their new Spider-y overlord
? We are officially off the rails and this crazy train is barreling offroad.

And how great was Constantine scheming to
trap the Spectre and sell him back to God
, before realizing the Voice could hear his thoughts? I hope we actually get to see what the others were shown, especially Pandora since they revealed she's going to be an agent of the Light.

Yeah, it's a really good story and has really exceeded my expectations.

tim1138

(I love this stuff!)

That's an interesting take on the New Gods and really meshes well with what Morrison did in Final Crisis with the death of the Fourth World.

Maybe I'm misreading you (entirely possible, I'm a bit out of it today), but I do have to disagree a bit. As far as the avatars of the New Gods go, they would still only exist once and wouldn't have analogs in each version of the Multiverse. To use your Earth 2 example, the Scott Free and Barda that are there are the only Barda and Scott Free. There would be no Orion of Earth 3 or a Darkseid of Earth 7, there is the one and only. This was shown at the end of the Darkseid villain's month issue actually (for as much as Pak got wrong in that issue he nailed that concept) where you see the singular Darkseid with his collection of Supermen from across the Multiverse. New Genesis and Apokalips obviously don't exist beyond the Source Wall, but they are beyond the scope of the Multiversal barriers, hence needing Boom Tube tech to travel there. So back to Earth 2, when
Steppenwolf was eviscerated by Supes eyebeams, that was the end of Steppenwolf in total
. As both Kirby and Final Crisis taught us, while the Fourth World denizens are deities, they can still be killed by extraordinary measures. This is ultimately what separates them from God the creator.

-edit-

Loving this conversation by the way. I love theorizing on this stuff and am always up for any discussion of the Fourth World.

That's what I would think as well, it's just interesting that they've never really said either way. Though the New Gods definitely sit below God it would seem. Since they're definitely effected by things like a rebooting universe, or other activities. It just happens that this time they sit outside of the Multiverse. At the same time, Phantom Stranger is the first time I THINK (could be wrong here) that God has had such a presence directly in the DC Universe.

One small inconsistency to the one exception to the New Gods rule of there only being one of them is the DC Animated Universe. As many of you may recall, the New Gods existed in the DCAU and still exist in the DCAU Comic Books, which are extensions of the shows. The New Gods there don't appear to follow the same timeline or rules as the other facets of the Multiverse, though the DCAU universes itself is just another of the many Earths.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That's an interesting take on the New Gods and really meshes well with what Morrison did in Final Crisis with the death of the Fourth World.

Maybe I'm misreading you (entirely possible, I'm a bit out of it today), but I do have to disagree a bit. As far as the avatars of the New Gods go, they would still only exist once and wouldn't have analogs in each version of the Multiverse. To use your Earth 2 example, the Scott Free and Barda that are there are the only Barda and Scott Free. There would be no Orion of Earth 3 or a Darkseid of Earth 7, there is the one and only. This was shown at the end of the Darkseid villain's month issue actually (for as much as Pak got wrong in that issue he nailed that concept) where you see the singular Darkseid with his collection of Supermen from across the Multiverse. New Genesis and Apokalips obviously don't exist beyond the Source Wall, but they are beyond the scope of the Multiversal barriers, hence needing Boom Tube tech to travel there. So back to Earth 2, when
Steppenwolf was eviscerated by Supes eyebeams, that was the end of Steppenwolf in total
. As both Kirby and Final Crisis taught us, while the Fourth World denizens are deities, they can still be killed by extraordinary measures. This is ultimately what separates them from God the creator.

-edit-

Loving this conversation by the way. I love theorizing on this stuff and am always up for any discussion of the Fourth World.

Hmmm, maybe. But I like it better if they're completely extradimensional, and their appearances across the multiverse are just 3D extrusions into our spacetime, like instances or avatars. Perhaps each would be aware of the others, perhaps not...

tim1138

That's what I would think as well, it's just interesting that they've never really said either way. Though the New Gods definitely sit below God it would seem. Since they're definitely effected by things like a rebooting universe, or other activities. It just happens that this time they sit outside of the Multiverse. At the same time, Phantom Stranger is the first time I THINK (could be wrong here) that God has had such a presence directly in the DC Universe.

There's been a couple other times when God had a direct presence, the first (I think) and most notable being Ostrander's run on the Spectre when he became the embodiment of the Wrath of God. There was also the angel Zauriel during Morrison's run on JLA.

Jedeye Sniv said:
Hmmm, maybe. But I like it better if they're completely extradimensional, and their appearances across the multiverse are just 3D extrusions into our spacetime, like instances or avatars. Perhaps each would be aware of the others, perhaps not...

Yeah I wasn't disputing that (and it's a cool idea). My point was that in entering our spacetime they are a singular entity, ie if Orion is chatting up Diana on Earth Prime that's the only Orion, there's not also a version of him hellbent for leather with Overman on Earth 10.

Unfortunately, I'm new to the DCU so I can't really get deep into the conversation. That said, the conversation is really interesting. Why do we think God took the form of a
"Boston Terrier?"

histopher

Looks like
Shit's getting real.

did the avengers work out it isnt spidey?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
There's been a couple other times when God had a direct presence, the first (I think) and most notable being Ostrander's run on the Spectre when he became the embodiment of the Wrath of God. There was also the angel Zauriel during Morrison's run on JLA.

Yeah I wasn't disputing that (and it's a cool idea). My point was that in entering our spacetime they are a singular entity, ie if Orion is chatting up Diana on Earth Prime that's the only Orion, there's not also a version of him hellbent for leather with Overman on Earth 10.

Awww but then you can't have all 52 of them team up to form UltraOrion :(

I totally forgot about that with the Spectre, though I don't know his history and such as well. I thought he was always the embodiment of the Wrath of God. I was going to bring up Zauriel, though I didn't because so many cultures of Angels, and I couldn't remember if during Morrison's run if there was anything that made him specifically a Judeo Christian Angel.

With Phantom Stranger though we're definitely getting that connection and God has appeared in the book. Which for me was the big difference form what I remembered in the past.

I haven't read this weeks comics yet but I'm interested to see how far they take this.

Hopefully Space Jesus Kyle won't have to be crucified for the Universe's sins.

Hey man! If I were you I'd skip Days of Future Past and Buffy. Future Past is going to be very unlike the movie, and it's an old X-Men comic which means the writing and art will be objectively pretty bad.

Wasn't John Byrne still doing the art for Days of Future Past? I've been reading some of the Claremont-Byrne run recently via Marvel Digital and I think the art holds up great.

I'll answer my own question about God taking the form of a ......

Dogs as Inspiration in Your Everyday Life

Finally, God can speak to you powerfully every day that you interact with your own dog or other dogs you know, believers say.

Dogs offer people "an ordinary, extraordinary grace," writes Houston in Mystical Dogs. "Look in their eyes and you find beatitude; listen to the thumping of their tail when you come through the door and you know that you are well met in this curious universe of ours." “Dogs are the great companions of our lives. They teach us, love us, care for us even when we are uncaring, feed our souls, and always, always give us the benefit of the doubt. With natural grace, they give us insight into the nature of the good and often provide us with a mirror of our better nature, as well as a remembrance of once and future possibilities."

In their book Angel Dogs: Divine Messengers of Love by Allen Anderson and Linda C. Anderson write that "dogs exhibit spiritual qualities in abundance. Dogs can be wise, compassionate, loyal, courageous, self-sacrificing, and altruistic. Most of all, they can give the purest, most unconditional love."

When dogs are serving as "messengers from Spirit," they can communicate many different kinds of important messages from God, they write: "Dogs bring to humans such messages as You are loved. You are not alone. You are protected and guided by a divine higher power. Dogs deliver messages such as When you are lonely, weary, overwhelmed by life’s burdens, I am here. People who are in pain often can’t hear the voice of God whispering comfort and hope. So God sends them a messenger with a furry face, wagging tail, licking tongue, and generous heart. Those who can accept the gift are taught that love is all around by one of life’s wisest teachers."

tim1138

I totally forgot about that with the Spectre, though I don't know his history and such as well. I thought he was always the embodiment of the Wrath of God. I was going to bring up Zauriel, though I didn't because so many cultures of Angels, and I couldn't remember if during Morrison's run if there was anything that made him specifically a Judeo Christian Angel.

With Phantom Stranger though we're definitely getting that connection and God has appeared in the book. Which for me was the big difference form what I remembered in the past.

I haven't read this weeks comics yet but I'm interested to see how far they take this.

Hopefully Space Jesus Kyle won't have to be crucified for the Universe's sins.

The Spectre was originally just an avenging spirit, it wasn't until Ostrander in the 80s that the connection to God was added.

From what I remember Zauriel was definitely a Judeo Christian angel. He served the Presence (God) and learned of a plot by other angels to succeed where Lucifer failed and overthrow God. It's been awhile since I've read those JLA issues, so I can't remember if God is seen or just inferred.

I have no idea what to expect in this book and I love it.

I know! You have no clue where this could ever go. They have this huge future playground to work with and as long as they don't bring up the past too much, they have zero editorial interference.

The next book I have read today is Batgirl #27 which is the first full Gothtopia story. This sums up my thoughts:

django-meme-generator-madam-you-had-my-curiosity-but-now-you-have-my-attention-1c91f2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom