• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of the current/most recent X-men series, which is the best one to read, keeping in mind that I know nothing about the X-men?

Well, All-New X-Men and Uncanny are my favorites, but they tie into each other pretty heavily, so I wouldn't read one without the other. Barring those two, my vote would go for "X-Men".

Just read Justice League 3000 #2. I love it but I have no idea where they are going, especially after that incident near the end of the issue. I will definitely be sticking with this series for a while.

Well, All-New X-Men and Uncanny are my favorites, but they tie into each other pretty heavily, so I wouldn't read one without the other. Barring those two, my vote would go for "X-Men".

Could I manage to understand them both if I bought trades instead of individual issues or would they not line up as well that way?

Could I manage to understand them both if I bought trades instead of individual issues or would they not line up as well that way?

That's a good question. Off the top of my head, I would have to say that trades would be a bit trickier. The events of both books run parallel. They don't directly cross over too often, though it does happen on occasion. The trades would probably be cheaper, though. Especially with online discounts. So go that route.

Omega

Banned
Infinite Kung Fu
Vagabond

Two very different sides of the same rad-ass coin

thanks.

is there any reason why vagabond vol 4 costs a ridiculous amount?

Lone Wolf and Cub. It's available in cheap paperback omnibus editions, great deals.

Also can't go wrong with the GOAT samurai comic

usagi yojimbo

thanks to you guys as well

thanks.

is there any reason why vagabond vol 4 costs a ridiculous amount?

It might be out-of-print. It's being collected into the VizBIG editions, though. Probably better to get those, since you'd get the first six volumes of manga by purchasing the first two VizBIG editions.

Omega

Banned
It might be out-of-print. It's being collected into the VizBIG editions, though. Probably better to get those, since you'd get the first six volumes of manga by purchasing the first two VizBIG editions.

Yeah sorry, I mean the vizbig edition of volume 4.

1-3, 5-11 are all available for regular price. Vol 4 is $100 everywhere

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
While I've enjoyed several of Moore's works, he just comes off as an asshole (again) and this time surprisingly whiny too. Disappointing.

An asshole? How come?

I didn't get that at all. I thought it was really funny and thoughtful. There's also a warmth to his style of writing, particularly in these sorts of things, that I find really endearing.

tim1138

Unfortunately, I'm new to the DCU so I can't really get deep into the conversation. That said, the conversation is really interesting. Why do we think God took the form of a
"Boston Terrier?"

I went back to his first appearance in Phantom Stranger, basically it's because he has a sense of humor. I'm just gonna link to the panels to avoid spoilers - http://imgur.com/t0Oc7z7

Out of the current/most recent X-men series, which is the best one to read, keeping in mind that I know nothing about the X-men?

Wolverine and the X-Men. Omnibus (complete series in one book) out in a few months if that's your thing.

Alternatively, the Remender-era Uncanny X-Force is recent, and damn good comics. Omnibus of that comes out in March (I have mine ordered, aw yiss).

Catching up on some reading; I have a three week backlog.

Black Science #2 was pretty cool. I enjoy the intellectual exercise imagining what led to the state of the world in each dimension. We'll see if it remains fascinating or becomes wrote over time.

Then there is Green Arrow. Maybe you guys heard about it??? It's amaze-balls. #27 was really, really good.

Really enjoyed Magneto's story in Uncanny X-men today. I hope his upcoming ongoing will have him go to war with
Mystique and co.
Doubt it's gonna be about that though.

Also Daredevil continues to be great.

tim1138

Catching up on some reading; I have a three week backlog.

Black Science #2 was pretty cool. I enjoy the intellectual exercise imagining what led to the state of the world in each dimension. We'll see if it remains fascinating or becomes wrote over time.

Then there is Green Arrow. Maybe you guys heard about it??? It's amaze-balls. #27 was really, really good.

Green Arrow is the best book DC is publishing, I vote for it for book of the month every time.
The Outsiders War arc has been nothing short of phenomenal, I totally didn't see twist at the end of #27 coming.

All-New Vol 1. is the first trade. That kicks off All-New's story and sets up Uncanny. From there they don't completely line up chronologically until you get to Battle of the Atom.

Superior is a lot shorter but seems to be a middle-chapter in a larger story. Very different story as well, it's not 'normal' Spidey.

Ultimate, if you start at Vol 1 (2000) is a very long and very consistently good 'classic' Spidey story. You get kid Peter, first time he's meeting baddies, minimal continuity fuckery. It's the one book that I've never dropped since #1. That's hiiiiiiigh praise. And then if you like the Universe a lot of the other Ultimate books were pretty good, or had good chunks. Lots to be getting on with over there.

Superior is most certainly in its end stages though, with a new start for Spider man in April.

So... the main villain of He-Man vs DC crossover is none other than

Well now I HAVE to read it. I read the first dozen or so issues of the MOTU relaunch, and it was implied that Orko was responsible for turning traitor or something and allowing skeletor to win. Maybe I should pick the series back up.

dark+orko!!!!-1.jpg

wtf

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm disappointed in what I've read about the quality of Prophet dropping off after the first trade. I guess it's safe to skip.

That's something i've never heard. I always hear about how tops that book is. it has probably the best rotating art team right now, so i take their word for it

Hahaha, awesome. It could also be a reference to the movie Best in Show. There was a line that was "God loves a terrier" or something similar.

That's the point, it seems like JM and Ray have crafted a well thought out story and every little detail is something.

The God is Dog thing is a joke and hten an inspirational thing by some preachers.

Basically saying we are God's dogs. Expect to be obedient. Evil is Live for the same thing.

The joke is just a commentary on the backward spellings of evil and God.

Messi

I just ordered:

Y The Last Man: Vol 4 and 5 Hardcover (This is the end for me :(, its gonna crush me. I can feel it coming)
Locke & Key Vol 1 Hardcover
Chew Vol 7: Bad Apples
American Vampire Vol 2
Catwoman Vol. 1: Trail of the Catwoman

I think I did well. Right folks?

vocab

I just ordered:

Y The Last Man: Vol 4 and 5 Hardcover (This is the end for me :(, its gonna crush me. I can feel it coming)
Locke & Key Vol 1 Hardcover
Chew Vol 7: Bad Apples
American Vampire Vol 2
Catwoman Vol. 1: Trail of the Catwoman

I think I did well. Right folks?

Looks pretty good! I should get on that Y, and AV train. I promised my self I have to finish sandman before picking up a new series.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm disappointed in what I've read about the quality of Prophet dropping off after the first trade. I guess it's safe to skip.

I wouldn't say that, but it does get a little different since a somewhat more traditional narrative begins developing and you get some consistent regular cast members.

Messi

Looks pretty good! I should get on that Y, and AV train. I promised my self I have to finish sandman before picking up a new series.

Y the last man is truly something else. I have become horribly attached to the main characters and im trying to space it out as ive only two HB's left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom