• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savitar

Superior is most certainly in its end stages though, with a new start for Spider man in April.

Well now I HAVE to read it. I read the first dozen or so issues of the MOTU relaunch, and it was implied that Orko was responsible for turning traitor or something and allowing skeletor to win. Maybe I should pick the series back up.

dark+orko!!!!-1.jpg

wtf

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Okay, so what did the lil guy take?

Good luck

As for Uncanny X-Men,
I can't really tell at the end if Magneto was imagining or he really trashed Mystique's team

edit: oh shit spoilers, nice heads up messi

it
looks legit to me. there doesn't appear to be any transition really between where he finds out dazzler is mystique, and just fucking up her team of D-listers

This walter white magneto is best magneto.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Okay, so what did the lil guy take?

We find out next issue. Justice League vs. MOTU #4 does tell us that
Orko somehow absorbed/enthralled the rest of trolla, and is now a composite entity that calls itself "the horde."

Not sure how I feel about that one.

Looks pretty good! I should get on that Y, and AV train. I promised my self I have to finish sandman before picking up a new series.

Y was the first comic series I read from start to finish. That shit's good.
There are some 'eh' moments later in the series, though.

Today's pickups.

Marvel Comics
Amazing X-Men #3
Daredevil #35
Fantastic Four #16
Thor God of Thunder #17
Uncanny X-Men #16

DC Comics
Justice League 3000 #2

Image Comics
Sex Criminals #4 (found a copy on the rack this week, yay!)
Velvet #3

Other Publishers
Rover Red Charlie #2 (Avatar)

Some random, early thoughts on a few books I looked at:

-Daredevil #35:
This issue! Elektra! That cliffhanger! I've said it before, I'll say it again; Daredevil is consistently the best series Marvel publishes today, and I can't wait to see where Waid/Samnee go next.

-Amazing X-Men #3:
Yes, Aaron, YES! Beast getting his awesome on, AND some Kurt/Ororo swashbuckling action... and (maybe) romance! Always dug that pairing, hope Aaron and/or Claremont give it some thought.

-Justice League 3000 #2
The tongue-in-cheek vibe continues to my delight, with Locus putting a new spin on the "Hal and young girls" poke and "New" League continuing to be a disaster. As for Barry, well... they are clones, aren't they?

-Rover Red Charlie #2:
Cats are @$$holes. :mad:

Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding the newly announced Nightcrawler solo on-going:

Is it safe to assume that Amazing X-men is required reading?
On that note, how is Amazing X-men?
I am currently reading All-New X-men, Uncanny X-men, X-factor and X-men. How does it compare in tone and quality?

Earth 2 is the JSA, but in that universe Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman had been around for awhile. They were established and well-loved heroes. Then Darkseid attacked and they died.

Now younger versions of the JSA heroes are beginning to appear as new 'Wonders', which is what Earth 2 calls its heroes. Jay Garrick Flash and Fate are still college aged. Alan Scott Green Lantern is a media mogul (powered by the Earth-2 version of the Swamp Thing's The Green). Hawkgirl, Sandman, and Atom are all related to the Earth-2 version of ARGUS or whatever called the World Army.

Huntress and Power Girl are Earth 2 refugees with Huntress being Bruce Wayne and Catwoman's daughter (and the former Robin) and Power Girl is Earth-2's Supergirl grown up.

Did you read the first few issues of Batman/Superman? The older, wiser versions of Batman and Superman in that were the Earth-2 guys.

There is no JSA on Earth 2 although new versions of Jay Garrick and a few others have popped up. Your thinking of the old version pre new 52.

Earth 2 is a post-appocalyptic earth that was ravaged by Darkseid where the survivors have kinda banded together with the International army to restore order and fend off attacks from Darkseids disciples.

NoTacos

For someone new to Spiderman, should I read Superior or Ultimate Comics?

Thanks for the earlier replies regarding comics similar to Blankets, by the way.
Idk about Ultimate, but superior is turning out to be intense. You would think it's stupid with Otto in charge but it's written so well that at some points you root for Otto just to see how he gets out of these predicaments.

If the April rumors are true, it also looks like Superior will play a lead in role to the arc after Goblin Underground
Amazing Spiderman #1 (2014)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Idk about Ultimate, but superior is turning out to be intense. You would think it's stupid with Otto in charge but it's written so well that at some points you root for Otto just to see how he gets out of these predicaments.

If the April rumors are true, it also looks like Superior will play a lead in role to the arc after Goblin Underground
Amazing Spiderman #1 (2014)

Well Superior always read like the middle part of a larger story, it's been pretty intense (especially this week, holy shit literally EVERYTHING you could imagine hit the fan in every way possible) but I can't wait to get back to
Peter being in the driver's seat
. I really want to see how this epic ends.

Superman and Wonderwoman was damn good as was JLA. Suicide Squad was not so good and has further cemented the drop that it will get. It says Forever Evil on the front but it's not doing much to flesh out the story.

NoTacos

Well Superior always read like the middle part of a larger story, it's been pretty intense (especially this week, holy shit literally EVERYTHING you could imagine hit the fan in every way possible) but I can't wait to get back to
Peter being in the driver's seat
. I really want to see how this epic ends.
I gotta pick 25 up tomorrow. But yeah, now it's starting to look like it's just a really long story arc with multiple arcs within it. I'm cool with it though as long as we get a good lead into ASM#1

Edit; question for someone following superman and Wonder Woman: in earth 1/regular universe are they dating? If so what was the lead in for that?

I gotta pick 25 up tomorrow. But yeah, now it's starting to look like it's just a really long story arc with multiple arcs within it. I'm cool with it though as long as we get a good lead into ASM#1

Edit; question for someone following superman and Wonder Woman: in earth 1/regular universe are they dating? If so what was the lead in for that?

Yes they are and that started in Justice League #12 which is collected in Justice League:The Villian's Journey

fl-justice-league_510x784.jpg

There is no JSA on Earth 2 although new versions of Jay Garrick and a few others have popped up. Your thinking of the old version pre new 52.

Earth 2 is a post-appocalyptic earth that was ravaged by Darkseid where the survivors have kinda banded together with the International army to restore order and fend off attacks from Darkseids disciples.

I call them 'JSA' because it's an easy shorthand for the DC Comics readers. Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, Atom, Fate, Sandman... members of the JSA. No, they've never been called that in the book, but it's quite clear where Earth-2's genesis was.

diaspora

Superior was awesome today. I like how it was kind of a meta-commentary on all the people saying "WHY ISN'T ANYONE NOTICING HE CHANGED?"

I don't think many people have been saying that rather: "Why the hell is everyone just rolling with this?" As it turns out, Tony's the only one who wasn't.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think many people have been saying that rather: "Why the hell is everyone just rolling with this?" As it turns out, Tony's the only one who wasn't.

Not like any of the other Avengers could actually question the results of the tests they ran. They ran everything and it said he's good. No one other than Tony, Reed, Peter or Pym would bother questioning it because they're the only ones who speak science.

sol_bad

I'm reading All New X-Factor and I'm sorry but I can't take this writer seriously after he had Harrison Snow laugh in that manner.
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA........ Really?

Has this Peter David done anything of note?

I just ordered:

Y The Last Man: Vol 4 and 5 Hardcover (This is the end for me :(, its gonna crush me. I can feel it coming)
Locke & Key Vol 1 Hardcover
Chew Vol 7: Bad Apples
American Vampire Vol 2
Catwoman Vol. 1: Trail of the Catwoman

I think I did well. Right folks?

Oh wow. Yea, you did good messi. You even got something I'm jealous of there, want dat Catwoman trade. You've got to let me know how that is. Let me know what you think of all of it since it's effectively a list of my favourite books haha and I just reread vol.2 of AmVamp actually, but let me know how the Catwoman book is. I think whats put me off Bru's Catwoman run and jumping on there so far is a lack of consistency in artists, it seems between the the one you've grabbed and the next one there's like 10 artists. Great haul though.

That Deathstroke in the preview of Arrow for next week!

BeEgIwkCAAAiJfA.png

Ah fuck ,I don't want to see that shit man! New ep's not even been on uk tv yet, let alone previews for the next one after.

Looks great though, introducing Slade to the modern day before the break was brilliant. Only two more months before I can finally read the trade of the series guys ~!

I just finished reading Superman: Birthright today. It was incredible o_o

if we're lucky maybe one day we'll get a movie solely based on it...

Oh wow. Yea, you did good messi. You even got something I'm jealous of there, want dat Catwoman trade. You've got to let me know how that is. Let me know what you think of all of it since it's effectively a list of my favourite books haha and I just reread vol.2 of AmVamp actually, but let me know how the Catwoman book is. I think whats put me off Bru's Catwoman run and jumping on there so far is a lack of consistency in artists, it seems between the the one you've grabbed and the next one there's like 10 artists. Great haul though.
Bru's Catwoman does have a few different artists but at least they're all in the same kind of style. Like for the first trade it's Darwyn Cooke for the first four issues with Allred inks, and then after that it's Brad Rader with Cameron Stewart inks for a few issues, then Rick Burchett inks after. Volume 2 though, I imagine it's split with Cameron Stewart and Brad Rader, with other people doing the inks, but I haven't gotten that one yet!

8bit

Knows the Score
I just finished reading Superman: Birthright today. It was incredible o_o

if we're lucky maybe one day we'll get a movie solely based on it...

I don't think DC even acknowledge that these days, which is a shame as it's easily one of the best Superman stories of late.

As to the Alan Moore wall of words, here's a Grant Morrison piece from about 2 years ago which presents an alternate point of view on some of the stuff mentioned there : http://comicsbeat.com/the-strange-case-of-grant-morrison-and-alan-moore-as-told-by-grant-morrison/

Bru's Catwoman does have a few different artists but at least they're all in the same kind of style. Like for the first trade it's Darwyn Cooke for the first four issues with Allred inks, and then after that it's Brad Rader with Cameron Stewart inks for a few issues, then Rick Burchett inks after. Volume 2 though, I imagine it's split with Cameron Stewart and Brad Rader, with other people doing the inks, but I haven't gotten that one yet!

Thanks for that Serpentine. Maybe it'll not as bad as I thought then. I love the visual consistency of his other stuff so that was the only thing that had me worried. Catwoman really does seem like a perfect fit for Bru, and Gotham Central is unbelievable, really need to get to it soon. Sleeper first though!

Tizoc

I'm reading All New X-Factor and I'm sorry but I can't take this writer seriously after he had Harrison Snow laugh in that manner.
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA........ Really?

Has this Peter David done anything of note?

Aside from being the main author on the previous X-Factor book?
He wrote 10 years worth of Hulk comics, and wrote a Captain Marvel series during the Late 90s.

Aside from being the main author on the previous X-Factor book?
He wrote 10 years worth of Hulk comics, and wrote a Captain Marvel series during the Late 90s.

He was also the man chosen to do the Dark Tower books when Marvel got a hold of that license off Stephen King, which I would consider a pretty high indication of his reliability and skill. Regardless of what you think of King, those are collections they knew would sell for years in book stores, PAD is the guy they called in to work on it.. All were very good quality.

Tizoc

oh and he wrote a bunch of Young Justice, and had some runs with Supergirl and Spider-Man 2099

Oh yeah YJ, I heard good things about his Supergirl run though.
YJ was also good and had a 'Kid Lobo' character.
PAD's known for his lame pun jokes though isn't he?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Don't take this the wrong way, but I love how terrible your taste in comics is. Every week I like seeing the covers, and going "WTF is that shit" or "wow, people spend money on this shit?". Tell me, how do you feel about comics about Elves? Because I bet you'd love some comics about Elves. Sexy Elves. Published by IDW or something.

Seriously. It's like assless chaps or fisting. Sure as shit ain't for me, but it makes me happy to see other people enjoying it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I love how terrible your taste in comics is. Every week I like seeing the covers, and going "WTF is that shit" or "wow, people spend money on this shit?". Tell me, how do you feel about comics about Elves? Because I bet you'd love some comics about Elves. Sexy Elves. Published by IDW or something.

Seriously. It's like assless chaps or fisting. Sure as shit ain't for me, but it makes me happy to see other people enjoying it.
holy shit lol
I'm planning on buying at least three of the comics he posted, so I got nothing to say about that. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom