• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I love how terrible your taste in comics is. Every week I like seeing the covers, and going "WTF is that shit" or "wow, people spend money on this shit?". Tell me, how do you feel about comics about Elves? Because I bet you'd love some comics about Elves. Sexy Elves. Published by IDW or something.

Seriously. It's like assless chaps or fisting. Sure as shit ain't for me, but it makes me happy to see other people enjoying it.
Imagination. Use it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I love how terrible your taste in comics is. Every week I like seeing the covers, and going "WTF is that shit" or "wow, people spend money on this shit?". Tell me, how do you feel about comics about Elves? Because I bet you'd love some comics about Elves. Sexy Elves. Published by IDW or something.

Seriously. It's like assless chaps or fisting. Sure as shit ain't for me, but it makes me happy to see other people enjoying it.

ahahaha, this post is so hilariously mean, but at the same time, it's like i sure as shit ain't buying Miss Fury or those Zenescope books, so

I do, I can imagine better stories than are in those books :p

edit: I also think it's fun to challenge folks on their comics tastes. Nerds be getting too comfortable here with their crazy books. Defend or die!! :D

Everything you read is shit. Any defense you make is irrelevant.

YOUR MOVE, JEDEYE.
;)

With all the comics I buy, next month will be the first time I buy anything from Dynamite. Dat Gold Key Universe starts here.

I wonder what the cancellation threshold is for Nightcrawler? Claremont has got to have a high page rate with that retainer contract.

8bit

Knows the Score
I can't say I've noticed the wall of books posted before, other than to note boobs and Betty & Veronica but there's a storyline called Gothtopia? Are the villians a bunch of disaffected youths in purple Doc Martins and ratty hair with Fields of the Nephilm tattoos?

Veelk

Banned
I do, I can imagine better stories than are in those books :p

edit: I also think it's fun to challenge folks on their comics tastes. Nerds be getting too comfortable here with their crazy books. Defend or die!! :D

It'd be a more interesting flame war you're trying to start if you actually provided reasons for why they're bad comics. Just saying "You're tastes are shit" is easy, pointless and it doesn't exactly enlighten anyone to anything. Not that I'm defending them, but if that were directed at me, my response would be that you provide an attack worth defending against.

Edit: Or, more succinctly, what GrandHarrier said.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Everything you read is shit. Any defense you make is irrelevant.

YOUR MOVE, JEDEYE.
;)

Ha :)

I like weird druggy shit.

I don't like books where they have to strategically hide the nipple more than once an issue.

I enjoy metaphysics and symbolism.

I don't like elves.

I can't say I've noticed the wall of books posted before, other than to note boobs and Betty & Veronica but there's a storyline called Gothtopia? Are the villians a bunch of disaffected youths in purple Doc Martins and ratty hair with Fields of the Nephilm tattoos?

It's alternate universe/drug vision story where Gotham is like Happy Harbour and all the heroes wear white. Seems all the villains are in on it. So far it's been painfully predictable. Reads a bit like fanfic.

If you like Batman a bit you should pic up Tec 27 still, it was really good and the first part is in there along with a bunch of other stuff.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It'd be a more interesting flame war you're trying to start if you actually provided reasons for why they're bad comics. Just saying "You're tastes are shit" is easy, pointless and it doesn't exactly enlighten anyone to anything. Not that I'm defending them, but if that were directed at me, my response would be that you provide an attack worth defending against.

Edit: Or, more succinctly, what GrandHarrier said.

And the winner of the 'missing the point' contest goes to Veelk for the second day running. Congratulations, I will make you a badge.

It was light hearted ribbing and nothing more intended. Wasn't intended to be enlightening, was just being a bit cunty for shits and giggles.

Veelk

Banned
And the winner of the 'missing the point' contest goes to Veelk for the second day running. Congratulations, I will make you a badge.

It was light hearted ribbing and nothing more intended. Wasn't intended to be enlightening, was just being a bit cunty for shits and giggles.

Oh, I got the joke (hence my edit in and if I was taking it seriously, it would have been much longer) but my shtick is that I interpret everything seriously so that I may kill any joy and humor I come across. Bwahahahah.

And for a guy who dislikes dismissive arguments, you're awfully quick to hit the "You just don't get it, man" button.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

No offense taken. I read a lot of novels and serious nonfiction as well, so in the comics realm I go for lighter fare. For example, I am reading Peter Baker's excellent Days of Fire right now. It is sober and unsettling. After 50 pages of reading about what Vice-Pres. Cheney was thinking and doing about the anthrax attacks in '01, a sexy elf or two is a nice diversion.

As far as comics, i also read a lot of stuff from the 70s and 80s in Marvel Essentials.

Tizoc

Speaking of Grant Morrison...
WHERE ARE MY NEW MORRISON COMICS?!?!?!
I NEED MY MORRISON FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Don't we all, brotha. But Burnham and Morrison are working on some horror goodness as we speak with Nameless.

Shame Quitely's still drawing uterus-bombs for Millar...

tim1138

No offense taken. I read a lot of novels and serious nonfiction as well, so in the comics realm I go for lighter fare. For example, I am reading Peter Baker's excellent Days of Fire right now. It is sober and unsettling. After 50 pages of reading about what Vice-Pres. Cheney was thinking and doing about the anthrax attacks in '01, a sexy elf or two is a nice diversion.

As far as comics, i also read a lot of stuff from the 70s and 80s in Marvel Essentials.

Did you read the Screwed series from Zenescope?
I follow Tyler Kirkham on Facebook and Twitter and he pimped the hell out of that book because he did the art. I could never figure out what it was about aside from Zenescope sexy lady comics.

If I ignore all the heavy heavy sniping from the last day about people's comics tastes etc., it's going to go away, right? There seemed a specific point to be discussed and debated yesterday, not so much now.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
If I ignore all the heavy heavy sniping from the last day about people's comics tastes etc., it's going to go away, right? There seemed a specific point to be discussed and debated yesterday, not so much now.

Can the main point of today be discussion of X-statix' ending? Or if y'all just want to talk about that naked fight that happens between Iron Man and Mister Sensitive, that's cool too.

monome

Wonder Woman. with Paquette on art duties. I'll put my dick on vacations for a few days before THE release.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

See, this is how you take good natured ribbing! Continue to enjoy, my friend. I actually do like it when you post the covers, it's a glimpse into a strange and bewildering world of cleavage.

Aren't you one of the Grant Morrison fanboys?

Something about people in glass houses not throwing stones or what ever.

It can go so many ways, let people read what ever the fuck they enjoy.

middle27.jpg

Can the main point of today be discussion of X-statix' ending? Or if y'all just want to talk about that naked fight that happens between Iron Man and Mister Sensitive, that's cool too.

You know, I totally missed all the X-statix stuff when it was around, so the Doop thing goes a little over my head. that said, I absolutely loved Allred's work on I, Zombie, guy has got some style.

I couldn't believe that Tony had
an iron dong.

8bit

Knows the Score

Mmm, now there's something I really need to read again. Was there an omnibus? What's the best price for that?

Filthy Slug

Hnnng. Just finished American Vampire volume 5, been holding onto it for awhiel until I did a full series so far reread. So freaking good. That lord of nightmares mini was unbelievable, the last regular arc was pretty damn good too, and that last issue, "The Grey Trader". So many wtf moments! I cannot wait for the series to come back. I can't believe how good that volume was.

According to Lobdell, Teen Titans as a book will finish in April? I don't read it, but I imagine some of you will have thoughts on that.

Hnnng. Just finished American Vampire volume 5, been holding onto it for awhiel until I did a full series so far reread. So freaking good. That lord of nightmares mini was unbelievable, the last regular arc was pretty damn good too, and that last issue, "The Grey Trader". So many wtf moments! I cannot wait for the series to come back. I can't believe how good that volume was.

According to Lobdell, Teen Titans as a book will finish in April? I don't read it, but I imagine some of you will have thoughts on that.
Hell yes if true. Just hope Lobdell doesn't get moved to another book. Since Didio has a hard on for him, Nicieza Noccenti, and Jurjens.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Did you read the Screwed series from Zenescope?
I follow Tyler Kirkham on Facebook and Twitter and he pimped the hell out of that book because he did the art. I could never figure out what it was about aside from Zenescope sexy lady comics.

I read issue #1, but it was too grisly for me so I stopped there.

As for Ms. Fury: its not a Zenescope type book at all, Just a straightforward old-fashioned superhero book. They release 4 covers each month with one being a 'risque' cover (read: cleavage).

arkon

I'm reading All New X-Factor and I'm sorry but I can't take this writer seriously after he had Harrison Snow laugh in that manner.
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA........ Really?

Has this Peter David done anything of note?

You can't take him seriously because of that? Come on!

Teen Titans relaunched by the all star creative team led by Ann Noccenti and Dan Jurjens with breakdown by Jurjens and Scott McDaniel with finishes. A bold new era starts here. As the teenage clones of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Aquaman and a baby Billy Batson face off against the Crime Syndicate Jr.

Dysun

They should just get rid of Lobdell. Everything he touches now is a mess

His name alone scares me away from ever reading a book

When do you start prepping your TT pitch, Rafa?
It's just hard to break in, certainly harder than it is to be a superstar at Walmart. I'm a small man with big ideas and big dreams. Why does it have to be so hard? I cry myself to sleep thinking that Image said the comic they are most proud of from the Image Expo is Bitch Planet. For years I was so sick it took all the strength I could muster to be able to read even a single issue of a comic. It could take a couple days energy out of me. That is why I want to make comics that even a page panel or issue could be enough to inspire them. To,provide enough spiritual sustenance to fuel a dream. They will know my comics.

Bruce Timm, Rafael Grampa, Art Adams, Paul Smith, Skottie Young, J. Scott Campbell, David Mack and others join Bendis for oversized All-New X-Men #25 (CBR)

"I like when we bury some announcement in the middle of the podcast," Bendis told Siuntres. "'All-New X-Men' #25, is a double, close to triple-size anniversary issue. It's kind of like the tail-end of the fiftieth anniversary of the X-Men celebration. It is an all-star jam issue, and we specifically went for people who I've never worked with before, or, literally, you'll never get a whole book out of them. We're putting together the final pieces right now, but Bruce Timm and Art Adams and Paul Smith and quite a few other people are joining us.

"I can't even tell you how excited I am," the writer continued. "Pixar artists are in it, some guys that are Tumblr heroes like Dan Hipp, and some other people... There's this dude -- I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but there's a guy on Tumblr that does these Jean Grey stories that he writes and draws. And they're hilarious, and we got him. He's gonna do a piece, and it's his Marvel debut."
On the one hand, it's Bendis, but on the other this sounds pretty incredible. Exactly how are all these guys supposed to fit in a "double, close to triple" book?

EDIT: I wonder if maybe Bendis is talking about Max Wittert's "Jean and Scott" strip. And he's right, they're hilarious.

http://maxwittert.tumblr.com/ (some NSFW stuff there, just so you know)

Owzers

complaint: Bendis gets great artists but i don't like his books and just dropped GotG, All New X-men, and Uncanny X-Men because they weren't good and BotA was awful

solution: Bendis gets several great artists for one issue

result: ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffrog. Probably not buying it.

Marvel solicits for April 2014 are now up. (CBR)

Original Sin #0 issue... first issues of Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Fist, Elektra, Hulk, Nightcrawler, Inhuman, Doop, All-New Ultimates, Ultimate FF... Deadpool wedding... What If? Age of Ultron (hah!)... Uncanny Avengers Annual featuring the debut of "the Avengers of the Supernatural"... DnA returning to Guardians of the Galaxy for a limited engagement...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom