• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
20024.jpg

Really digging this. It's brings fresh content and aesthetic to post appocalypse.

The world gets decimated by a chain reaction of of natural disasters. Ninth Wave is marine eco direct action group and they decide to stay and live on the fleet of boats after the world goes to shit. The book begins after The Massive gets separted from The Foundation. Told from the latter's perspective and its presumed The Massive is out there somewhere, roaming around the ocean. Brian Wood typically sucks with endings in my opinion, but I feel like hes working to a goal here.

1375753056-wke_cv3_previews_26hv05imyc_.jpg

Really good but disapointing. The timing of some of the exposition is just weird in the ending was a little bullshit. Snyder is really good with creating vulnerable situations but sometimes he leads them into solutions that are kind of cheap. Still, highly recommended though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
20024.jpg

Really digging this. It's brings fresh content and aesthetic to post appocalypse.

The world gets decimated by a chain reaction of of natural disasters. Ninth Wave is marine eco direct action group and they decide to stay and live on the fleet of boats after the world goes to shit. The book begins after The Massive gets separted from The Foundation. Told from the latter's perspective and its presumed The Massive is out there somewhere, roaming around the ocean. Brian Wood typically sucks with endings in my opinion, but I feel like hes working to a goal here.

1375753056-wke_cv3_previews_26hv05imyc_.jpg

Really good but disapointing. The timing of some of the exposition is just weird in the ending was a little bullshit. Snyder is really good with creating vulnerable situations but sometimes he leads them into solutions that are kind of cheap. Still, highly recommended though.

The Wake isn't even close to over. It's at the half-way point dude.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The Wake isn't even close to over. It's at the half-way point dude.

They should release it as a complete book and not halves like that. It seems like it would be confusing, and would be perfect fir a single volume treatment.

I wish I was in charge of tpbs and hc collections. I know what would work.

VeeP

For the new Teen Titana/Young Justice title, they should really add Static Shock and maybe Blue Beetle to the mix.

Geoff is out of ideas and is now just ripping off Bendis hard when Norman Osbourne became leader of the Avengers.

Not so much. Lex Luthor has been President (working with many heroes and teams) and played hero before Bendis' 'Dark Reign' arc. I'm excited for this regardless. Johns is at his best when he is writing villains and the inclusion of Captain Cold, alongside Lex Luthor on the Justice League could be fun.

Where is the Flash, Green Lantern (Baz or otherwise) and Superman? I was hoping to see Simon Baz join the big leagues as *the* Green Lantern while the regulars are off-world.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Not so much. Lex Luthor has been President (working with many heroes and teams) and played hero before Bendis' 'Dark Reign' arc.

Oh that's way better then. Regurgitating old DC ideas rather than stealing wholesale from Marvel :p

I'd say Forever Evil has been incredibly predictable so far ad I can see exactly where it's heading. Even Lex being on the 'league' isn't a surprise at all - they were teasing this months back, and it's a logical, obvious place for the story to move to.

And then at the end, the heroes will win. Spoilers.

Oh that's way better then. Regurgitating old DC ideas rather than stealing wholesale from Marvel :p

I'd say Forever Evil has been incredibly predictable so far ad I can see exactly where it's heading. Even Lex being on the 'league' isn't a surprise at all - they were teasing this months back, and it's a logical, obvious place for the story to move to.

And then at the end, the heroes will win. Spoilers.

Everything is regurgitated to some end, that doesn't mean that it will play out the same.

Teasing and foreshadowing Lex's membership on the Justice League should be expected. Otherwise, how else would his sudden appearance on the team be explained? Of course it's going to be predictable in that sense.

Interesting to hear your thoughts man. I actually liked DMZ and Northlanders and couldn't ge tinto The Massive volume 1 at all. I found it really boring. Somehow he manages to think out some really good interesting locales and potentially interesting characters then write a plot that goes nowhere near exploring them. I honestly got the feeling he'd came up with a really great concept for the world, then had no real idea of an actual story to tell about that world. Even if the book was just about exploring that world and seeing the effects of the changes he'd made, but it really barely does that. Most places and situations are shirked for the characters sitting around talking to each other, and not getting very far.

Just my opinion though man, and I'm glad you liked it. Are your feeling just based off of volume 1 or have you read further? I'd be interested to hear how volume 2 compares.

Also I LOVED The Wake part 1. Felt it read perfectly as a volume. The book does a really good job of telling a simply aliens/mountains of madness type tale of discovery of the unknown and descending into horror in its own right, while simultaneously doing what's he done with American Vampire; tying real life scientific ideas with folklore, history, religious ideas, and of course fiction all together to build his *discovery* and what it could explain.

It sounds like I'm just saying the opposite of your thoughts haha, but really, glad you shared. The Massive is a book that gets surprisingly little chat around here.

Interesting to hear your thoughts man. I actually liked DMZ and Northlanders and couldn't ge tinto The Massive volume 1 at all. I found it really boring. Somehow he manages to think out some really good interesting locales and potentially interesting characters then write a plot that goes nowhere near exploring them. I honestly got the feeling he'd came up with a really great concept for the world, then had no real idea of an actual story to tell about that world. Even if the book was just about exploring that world and seeing the effects of the changes he'd made, but it really barely does that. Most places and situations are shirked for the characters sitting around talking to each other, and not getting very far.

Just my opinion though man, and I'm glad you liked it. Are your feeling just based off of volume 1 or have you read further? I'd be interested to hear how volume 2 compares.

Also I LOVED The Wake part 1. Felt it read perfectly as a volume. The book does a really good job of telling a simply aliens/mountains of madness type tale of discovery of the unknown and descending into horror in its own right, while simultaneously doing what's he done with American Vampire; tying real life scientific ideas with folklore, history, religious ideas, and of course fiction all together to build his *discovery* and what it could explain.

It sounds like I'm just saying the opposite of your thoughts haha, but really, glad you shared. The Massive is a book that gets surprisingly little chat around here.

They're not all that opposite. I really liked The Wake. Just had super high expectations.

also i love Northlanders. liked channel zero too.

Where is the Flash, Green Lantern (Baz or otherwise) and Superman? I was hoping to see Simon Baz join the big leagues as *the* Green Lantern while the regulars are off-world.

It makes sense for Superman not to be there considering he looks nigh-on identical to Ultraman. The general public probably don't want to be reminded of Ultraman for a while.

Tizoc

I've ignored the Valiant books for a long time, really need to start reading them along with Sweet Tooth.

Also need to catch up on Green Arrow >_>;

Don't we all, brotha. But Burnham and Morrison are working on some horror goodness as we speak with Nameless.

Shame Quitely's still drawing uterus-bombs for Millar...

Just herad about Nameless recently, looking forward to it.

Wonder Woman. with Paquette on art duties. I'll put my dick on vacations for a few days before THE release.

WHAT IS TAKING THIS BLASTED BOOK SO LONG?!?!

Can the main point of today be discussion of X-statix' ending? Or if y'all just want to talk about that naked fight that happens between Iron Man and Mister Sensitive, that's cool too.

X-Statix is so good, but the feels man, it's what stops me from reading it again T^T

I read Chew Vol 6: Space Cakes. That ending was brutal. General spoilers plus ending

I loved that the entire book was about Toni and Co while Tony recovers. Poyo is a boss.

That ending is really gruesome with the collector removing Tonis limbs and breaking her neck :(

Chew is fantastic.

Yup, but we can all agree
Tony, PLEASE fuck his shit up with extreme prejudice

He has written so many books yet his writing is still so bad? That's in my opinion of course. It wasn't only that laughing scene I had a problem with but the whole book.
Granted I haven't read Gambit or Polaris in a book for a very long time but they both felt very out of character to me from what I remember.
Well I didn't like the new X-Factor #1 myself, but his older work is really good are must reads.
It may be a worse case scenario of the author 'losing his touch' for lack of a better term @_@

Truth be told though, with PAD, you just gotta give it time, maybe come back after reading TPB #1 of the series?

Pointing out Quicksilver is straight out evil? Did he trick a bunch of people into dying and kidnap their souls and take them to hell or something?

Quicksilver appeared in the previous X-Factor book, but I forgot some of the stuff he did during then. Last thing I recall him doing in was...recovering his mutant powers @_@

tim1138

Has JL United been mentioned yet?

Yeah, it's the same book that was initially announced as JL Canada. The team is Animal Man, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Stargirl, Supergirl, Adam Strange, Hawkman, and an unrevealed brand new character. The first two arcs will deal with Rann and Thanagar.

Huh. I actually really like the look of All New Invaders, the preview looks better than I expected. Not sure about Robinson though. His detractors usually complain of too much exposition, which is a pet hate. I'm interested though, Pugh's art looks nice too.

Whaaaa. IDW have announced a 24 comic book by Ed Brisson and Michael Gaydos. It's questionable how good they can make it since they'd have to play in the confines of the show's history etc. but just those two on a spy book, sounds like a great idea in itself.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Should I be excited for Dini's Zatanna/Black Canary?

Yes. Dini is still an excellent storyteller and has a deep love for the women of DC, especially the magical ones.

ALSO, Captain Cold is on the Justice League. Captain motha'fuckin' Cold...is on the Justice League. More importantly, Geoff Johns is back to writing him. Man, this is the best comics news.

tim1138

Yes. Dini is still an excellent storyteller and has a deep love for the women of DC, especially the magical ones.

ALSO, Captain Cold is on the Justice League. Captain motha'fuckin' Cold...is on the Justice League. More importantly, Geoff Johns is back to writing him. Man, this is the best comics news.

Not only is he writing Cold again, but he's writing a Capt Cold who isn't a metahuman. That change to the Rogues angered me to no end.

Not only is he writing Cold again, but he's writing a Capt Cold who isn't a metahuman. That change to the Rogues angered me to no end.

I see you too realize the danger that metahumans represent to society. Would you like to come to a meeting where we can discuss this further???

I was never a huge Rogues fan (not that I didn't like them, I just wasn't a superfan) so the changes to them didn't really bother me. But I do recall going to ECCC with a good friend who is a MASSIVE Rogues Fan mine and we made a point to go see Brian Buccellato at his booth; My friend was real happy to meet him, nice, charming, friendly. THEN THE QUESTIONS. He, in a polite way, was kind of grilling him about why they went with stuff like the meta change, choices for particular versions of the Rogues. It was amazing to watch. To his credit, Brian was amazingly nice about it, albeit a lot of his answers were evasive as you might expect.

Splatt

I was never a huge Rogues fan (not that I didn't like them, I just wasn't a superfan) so the changes to them didn't really bother me. But I do recall going to ECCC with a good friend who is a MASSIVE Rogues Fan mine and we made a point to go see Brian Buccellato at his booth; My friend was real happy to meet him, nice, charming, friendly. THEN THE QUESTIONS. He, in a polite way, was kind of grilling him about why they went with stuff like the meta change, choices for particular versions of the Rogues. It was amazing to watch. To his credit, Brian was amazingly nice about it, albeit a lot of his answers were evasive as you might expect.

If I was Buccellato I'd be all like "Lobdell made me do it!" or "It was all Lobdell's idea!"
3AQmK.gif

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

You sir, just made me even more happy today, 'cause I somehow forgot about that. Now how about putting on the parka for old times' sake.

I'd be curious to hear what your friend had to say on that guy's awful run on Flash and the Rogues. From what I've read of his Rogues (a bunch of the Flash issues and the first Rogeus Rebellion issue) they've got no real personality and he's stripped them of the things that made them interesting, i.e. that they're simple, blue-collar dudes with a code who earned their spot on the team by proving themselves, and by mastering their weapons, and by acting as a damn team. None of this comes through with Brian and Manapul's run, and the character's aren't furthered, psychologically or story-wise, in any way, shape, or form.

Either way, I hope your friend is rejoicing over Johns' genius move right here.

Valravn

HAHAHAHA

For some odd reason i seem to have awish to live in a box because i keep throwing money at Marvel, well and DC....

New TPB's:

Superior Spider-man: No Escape
Batman: The Court of Owls
Batman: The City of Owls
Batman: Night of Owls
Avengers Vol. 1: Avengers World
Avengers Vol. 2: The Last White Event
Avengers, Vol. 3: Prelude to Infinity
Hawkeye Oversided HC

Have any of you guys spotted the interviews that have been cropping up with Steve Orlando for his new book at Image, Undertow? The artwork is incredibly striking (by Artyom Trakhanov). Book sounds pretty sweet too, could be a cool thing. I haven't read anything by Orlando though, so jury's out obviously.

If this is the kind of stuff I saw DC puttin gin Aquaman, I'd be all over it.

That's a pretty incredibly tpb pick up list there Nihilo. Let me know what you think of the avengers stuff, I'd like to read them at some point. Love dat owls stuff of course, and hawkeye is great too.

Filthy Slug

Really? Why?

Why not? Geoff Johns loves the characters and writes them well, so why not let him have some fun and shake up what's been a mostly mediocre Justice League run.

Vyer

I'm digging the Cold/Luthor idea. Really interested in seeing how that plays out.

I love how salty Bats and WW are on that cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom