• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, that's amazing man! I didn't find Last of Us too bad, Zombiu crippled me though. That basement area though, the way it plays with how much you can see ahead of you etc. compared to previously, it's really incredible, crazy stuff. I just love all the neat touches like how Joel has to get his bag out and kneel down to switch stuff and heal etc., that really ramps up the tension. I love you react so well to it though, I think thats exactly what they wanted to elicit. I love horror comics but it's just not the same thing compared to a game where you know something is literally coming for you haha

For sure, I was so proud that I played all the way through. It's my favorite single player story game ever!

So what are the lists people do here for? Upcoming comics they want to own?

And why is this hobby expensive and addicting? There should be some kind of warning sign in this thread!

Its their pull list for the upcoming week

and I warned you earlier! They are too many comics out there people recommend or look interesting, and they all cost money

Haha I actually put up a link to a longer preview than this a week or so ago but literally no-one replied :( I am kind of excited though. I love the witcher games and novels, and Dark Horse have assembled a decent team. The big issue for these projects is they can often do nothing long lasting/meaningful with the properties/characters. Most of the times, characters that have to remain completely static in their relationships etc. are not compelling, and msot writers are not smart enuogh to get around this by trying different story telling methods to compensate. This one looks cool ,though I haven't read anything by Tobin. Colder got great reviews though so I'm interested.

You must play the last of us maq! There's only one really scary bit, the game is so gooood.

EDIT: The original thoughtsI shared on the witcher comic: Click

I was probably gettting it when the trade comes sorry

I liked Tobin's Marvel kids stuff and some Hulk stuff he did. Also Bandette but I get that for his wife Colleen Coover more. She's one of my favorites.

Haha I actually put up a link to a longer preview than this a week or so ago but literally no-one replied :( I am kind of excited though. I love the witcher games and novels, and Dark Horse have assembled a decent team. The big issue for these projects is they can often do nothing long lasting/meaningful with the properties/characters. Most of the times, characters that have to remain completely static in their relationships etc. are not compelling, and msot writers are not smart enuogh to get around this by trying different story telling methods to compensate. This one looks cool ,though I haven't read anything by Tobin. Colder got great reviews though so I'm interested.

You must play the last of us maq! There's only one really scary bit, the game is so gooood.

EDIT: The original thoughtsI shared on the witcher comic: Click

Damn, the longer preview you linked to is way better. The Witcher #1 Preview Newsarama

This looks promising, actually. At 5 issues it's not a big investment. Might check it out.

Toa TAK

Banned
Its their pull list for the upcoming week

and I warned you earlier! They are too many comics out there people recommend or look interesting, and they all cost money

Pull? As in what they're buying? Teach me, master.

And yeah, I wish they didn't cost so much money. =( I'm only in two series right now, I can't imagine what it's like having more like you guys. That's crazy.

And yeah, I wish they didn't cost so much money. =( I'm only in two series right now, I can't imagine what it's like having more like you guys. That's crazy.

Every Sunday, this page:

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/952

Is updated for all the comics releasing that upcoming Wednesday. We look at this list and post list of everything we are getting for that upcoming Wednesday which is new release day.

It's basically the sub list they set up with their local comic store/online site. Then when the stock comes in, the shop "pull" the book into their tray/folder or whatever each month, then everyone goes down to the store and gets their stack.

Talkin' 'Bout Lists?

Archie's Valentine: A Rock 'n' Roll Romance TP (Archie and Valerie's love story! Plus Valerie's brother macks on Betty? A future-set tale.)
Amala's Blade TP (Dark Horse)

Big Two
Scribblenaughts Unmasked Crisis of Imagination #1 (DC)
George Romero's Empire of the Dead Act One #1 (IN MY VEINS, MARVEL!)

Pretty Deadly #4
Umbral #3
Zero #5 (Probably dropping after this- the final issue of the opening arc. The best ongoing focusing on themes that bore and depress me. Stay loving The Kotster)

Other
Atomic Robo The Savage Sword of Dr Dinosaur #5 of 5 (Red 5)
Bo Plushy Gangsta #1 (Action Lab)
Legends of Red Sonja #3 of 5 (Dynamite)
Dark Horse Presents #32 (fixin' to test out the Dark Horse digital app)

My list is comprised in part by titles I have pulled at my LCS and in part by books I decide on Sunday to pick up. Love my Sunday ritual of examining the recently-updated Upcoming Releases page on Previews World.

arkon

Bravest Warriors #16
Deadly Class #1
FF #16
Hawkeye #16
Midas Flesh #2
Star Wars Legacy II #11
Transformers Robots In Disguise #25
Umbral #3
Wolverine And The X-Men #40

Vinland saga is also on the trades list.

Cheska

Comixology is having a sale on some Rick Remender stuff. Has anyone read Strange Girl? How is it?

Also, since there's so much Rat Queens love in her (<3) have you guys given Peter Panzerfaust a try? It's Kurtis J. Wiebe's other ongoing series.

Seeing all these pull list makes me wonder what books would have the highest rankings for GAF.

Would you all be interested in making a Rank list for next month to see which titles have the most pulls? Like towards the end of the month we post our full pull list for the next month including new titles to find the most popular book and publisher is. Just tossing out some ideas.

SRG01

Seeing all these pull list makes me wonder what books would have the highest rankings for GAF.

Would you all be interested in making a Rank list for next month to see which titles have the most pulls? Like towards the end of the month we post our full pull list for the next month including new titles to find the most popular book and publisher is. Just tossing out some ideas.

I'd be up for that.

DagsJT

As someone who's read very few comics, I'd be interested in seeing what people are getting in a ranked list. Individual "pull" lists are just a bit messy.

I was weak and caught up on Red Lanterns. I don't even feel sorry because for $3 they pack a lot of entertainment in an issue.

Oh man,
Drunk ZZ Blob! The rage-ified Kaalvar! Bleez spearing Gensui! Ratchet's sacrifice!
So much awesome.

Ouch.

Speaking of, does anyone find Carol's face a little too wide in the artwork for the new Captain Marvel series? It makes her look so bad. :p
The helmet and ahit is weird. The cover in the GotG looks awful cant seem to get the artist right. The last series was all fashion institute dropouts.

Anyone here pull over a hundred comics?

Wow, all I'm getting on Wednesday is:

Avengers #25

All New X-Men #22

Batman #27

Waiting for the next Hawkeye oversized HC, if there is gonna be one.

EDIT: Any new #1's that I should pick up? Preferably Marvel.

Uh... no. I couldn't even imagine. I'm at about 30 at the moment, and I'm trying to whittle it down to 20 or so.

Waiting for the next Hawkeye oversized HC, if there is gonna be one.

I'm debating. I've been meaning to get the Hawkeye OHC forever, but I don't want to grab it only for them to never release another. That seems to be the case so far with the current Mark Waid run on Daredevil. There was one OHC, then the rest is just regular Hardcovers. It seems there IS a second Daredevil OHC slated to release on 2/12. But given how slowly Hawkeye is being released, there won't be enough content for another OHC for a loooong time.

arkon

The helmet and ahit is weird. The cover in the GotG looks awful cant seem to get the artist right. The last series was all fashion institute dropouts.

I've got 45 on my list. Some of those are one-offs like annuals though. Probably closer to 35 taking all those away.

Uh... no. I couldn't even imagine. I'm at about 30 at the moment, and I'm trying to whittle it down to 20 or so.

I'm debating. I've been meaning to get the Hawkeye OHC forever, but I don't want to grab it only for them to never release another. That seems to be the case so far with the current Mark Waid run on Daredevil. There was one OHC, then the rest is just regular Hardcovers. It seems there IS a second Daredevil OHC slated to release on 2/12. But given how slowly Hawkeye is being released, there won't be enough content for another OHC for a loooong time.

Haha, there's actually a third daredevil OHC solicited for around July, I was looking at them a few hours ago. So your good with those at least.

Eldren

That seems to be the case so far with the current Mark Waid run on Daredevil. There was one OHC, then the rest is just regular Hardcovers. It seems there IS a second Daredevil OHC slated to release on 2/12. But given how slowly Hawkeye is being released, there won't be enough content for another OHC for a loooong time.

Haha, there's actually a third daredevil OHC solicited for around July, I was looking at them a few hours ago. So your good with those at least.

Yep, I've got my eye on those Daredevil OHCs too. I'm not too keen on hardcover books that only have like 136 pages or whatever so I tend to wait for paperback versions instead, but I'll take OHCs over both. So I'm happy to wait. (Still hoping there'll be another omnibus for Fraction/Larroca's Invincible Iron Man so I can have the whole series in omnibus format.)

-----

Unrelated, but what are the chances of a new Ant-Man ongoing series before the film releases next year? I'm not entirely sure why but for some reason I love the idea of Ant-Man. I'm planning on picking up the Fraction/Allred FF trades just for Scott Lang. Maybe Marvel could take cues from the film and Thor: God Of Thunder and have two stories, Hank Pym in the past and Scott Lang in the present.

It's probably extremely unlikely though. Oh well.

Yep, I've got my eye on those Daredevil OHCs too. I'm not too keen on hardcover books that only have like 136 pages or whatever so I tend to wait for paperback versions instead, but I'll take OHCs over both. So I'm happy to wait. (Still hoping there'll be another omnibus for Fraction/Larroca's Invincible Iron Man so I can have the whole series in omnibus format.)

-----

Unrelated, but what are the chances of a new Ant-Man ongoing series before the film releases next year? I'm not entirely sure why but for some reason I love the idea of Ant-Man. I'm planning on picking up the Fraction/Allred FF trades just for Scott Lang. Maybe Marvel could take cues from the film and Thor: God Of Thunder and have two stories, Hank Pym in the past and Scott Lang in the present.

It's probably extremely unlikely though. Oh well.
Probably 100 percent chance. Seventy five percent chance it is written by Matt Fraction or ghostwritten.

Isn't Avengers A.I. wrapping after the current arc? That has to be because they're giving Hank his own series, or one where he's teamed with Scott.

Anyone for Ant-Men?

Or maybe Avengers Academy: The New Class? (humour me, damnit!)

listsss

Deadly Class #1
Dead Body Road #1
Black Widow #2

the first complete collection of PAD X-Factor drops as well, i may order it if IST has it for half off

the first complete collection of PAD X-Factor drops as well, i may order it if IST has it for half off

I've already ordered mine, I'm dreading having to buy nine-eleven of these for the full run, but PAD X-Factor is so good it just might be worth it.

I still need to get the Immortal Iron Fist and Ellis/Deodato Thunderbolts CCs, and there's Runaways and Abnett/Lanning Guardians of the Galaxy CCs coming. Wallet am cry.

MartyStu

Blue Beetle is part of a rather legendary run of Justice League International where Blue Beetle and Booster Gold had an amazing friendship. They got into all sorts of awesome trouble together. Outside of that, he has existed in one incarnation or another for decades, and has been dead for sometime ever since a rather pivotal event pre-New 52 and it really seemed like he was going to be one of those characters that would probably stay dead, not coming back during several events where they could have easily done so.

Also, for some people he is their Wally West, Stephanie Brown, or Cassandra Cain. Why does a certain segment of the fandom lose their collective shit over them? Same basic reason.

Why the fuck would anyone lose their shit over her?

Cheska

Superheroes Assemble List!

Batman #27
Batwoman #27
Harley Quinn #2
Justice League #27
Wonder Woman #27

Deadly Class #1
Pretty Deadly #4
Umbral #3

All New X-Factor #2
Black Widow #2

Felt like taking in some animation, as you do, and searched out some lantern stuff. Green Lantern: The Animated Series. Holy ish, it is so good.

I want Marbel to have a new type of "What If?" Series. Like Greg Land colored by Dean White or Jordie Bellaire. Or GurueFX coloring FraIer Irving, David Aja or Kelly Sue Deconnixk.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I want Marbel to have a new type of "What If?" Series. Like Greg Land colored by Dean White or Jordie Bellaire. Or GurueFX coloring FraIer Irving, David Aja or Kelly Sue Deconnixk.

You're a fucking monster, Rafa. Not in the good way.

Felt like taking in some animation, as you do, and searched out some lantern stuff. Green Lantern: The Animated Series. Holy ish, it is so good.

haha it is! I'm really not one for Green Lantern much, outside of John's initial run ages ago, I quite liked that but only read maybe 2 years worth. Me and my kid watch Green Lantern and Transformers Prime every morning before school time though, and they have some great plots. Sadly there aren't tons of GL episodes so many repeats too :( we just watched the one with the star sapphires though, was pretty great.

I never post mine but here it is:

DC
Batman 27
Justice League 27
Wonder Woman 27

Chew 39
The Walking Dead 120

Marvel
All New Invaders 1
All New X-Men 22
Avengers 25
Avengers World 2
Captain America 15

I'm not getting Hawgal because I'd rather get a nice OSHC. Same with FF and Iron Man, I'll read them down the line, either because there's a decent collected edition or thanks to a comixology sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom