• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm dreaming of a Nu52 dream team book. Lobdell/Nocenti writing, Liefeld on art, a superteam composed of Teen Titans, Catwoman, Nu52 Harley, and Joker's Daughter

Rafa would pull 10 copies

I'm dreaming of a Nu52 dream team book. Lobdell/Nocenti writing, Liefeld on art, a superteam composed of Teen Titans, Catwoman, Nu52 Harley, and Joker's Daughter

dnTjV.gif

Messi

Why would you put our comic of the month in there ? :(

Harley is significantly better than this catwoman book.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So I decided to drop Batman from my pull list. In other words, I'm officially done with DC on the singles front. The breadth of character and artwork available from Image completely shits on the last decade and a half from DC. Feels very odd, but also like I made a good decision.

Marvel is still on my pull list tho, but a lot less books than the previous quarter.

Vyer

Man, I've been reading comics for a long long time and never had this problem but Days of Future Past feels so dated I'm having a hard time getting into it.

Messi

So I decided to drop Batman from my pull list. In other words, I'm officially done with DC on the singles front. The breadth of character and artwork available from Image completely shits on the last decade and a half from DC. Feels very odd, but also like I made a good decision.

Marvel is still on my pull list tho, but a lot less books than the previous quarter.

What made you finally drop Batman. I think Snyder has been doing fantastic work on the main book. But I can't see reasons to drop every other Bat related book.

I can't disagree with the sentiment. Image has been killing it lately. I guess that's what happens when creators are happy.

vocab

Man, I've been reading comics for a long long time and never had this problem but Days of Future Past feels so dated I'm having a hard time getting into it.

I feel like most early American comics have aged somewhat poorly at least compared to manga. I think the coloring has a lot to do with it.

zeeaykay

Alright, ComicsGAF, you win. I was at a rarely frequented comic shop today, and they had all six issues of Six Gun Gorilla. I couldn't help myself, so I grabbed all six. They only had one issue one, so of course the whole scarcity factor pushed me over the top.

I also picked up all the issues of Mind MGMT after the first two collections (13-17). Even though I love the look and feel of the Hardcover collections, there is no way I am waiting until June. Interesting that it's not printed on typical comic/magazine paper, and it's more on a beige newspaper, feels a bit cheap, especially compared to the thick papered HC, but it does add a bit of character.

Also spent a lot of the day putting my couple hundred floppies in bags and boards today, now I need to find some short boxes. Any suggestions?

I'm addicted.

Alright, ComicsGAF, you win. I was at a rarely frequented comic shop today, and they had all six issues of Six Gun Gorilla. I couldn't help myself, so I grabbed all six. They only had one issue one, so of course the whole scarcity factor pushed me over the top.

I also picked up all the issues of Mind MGMT after the first two collections (13-17). Even though I love the look and feel of the Hardcover collections, there is no way I am waiting until June. Interesting that it's not printed on typical comic/magazine paper, and it's more on a beige newspaper, feels a bit cheap, especially compared to the thick papered HC, but it does add a bit of character.

Also spent a lot of the day putting my couple hundred floppies in bags and boards today, now I need to find some short boxes. Any suggestions?

I'm addicted.

Short boxes should be sold at any LCS. Welcome to the club.

I feel like most early American comics have aged somewhat poorly at least compared to manga. I think the coloring has a lot to do with it.

I bought the second Marvel's Mightiest Heroes hardback yesterday, which was a Spider-Man collection. It has a recoloured version of Amazing Fantasy #15 included and I think it looks hideous.

I wouldn't be a fan of re-colouring comics anyway. We should embrace the four-color past. Claremont/Byrne X-Men is god-tier comics and Days of Future Past is the most famous, if not the original, Bad Future story that most mediums have gotten a lot of mileage out of.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What made you finally drop Batman. I think Snyder has been doing fantastic work on the main book. But I can't see reasons to drop every other Bat related book.
It's not even quality of the book itself that killed my interest, those months of five dollar books, it being the only title from the brand I still enjoyed and the fact that I think Snyder writes tighter stories and characters on his creator owned books just led me astray.

Maybe I'll just stick to GN's for the batman, but yea... I really love that Image isn't stuck having to work in an over lapping universe and they take good care of their staff. I want to support positive business practices for artists of all kinds...

Which may be why I scaled down my Marvel line up as well.

arkon

If it includes brand new characters by Lobdell et al, in the vein of wonderful creations like Harvest, Grymm and Psykill, I'm in.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He did say singles, perhaps he's trade waiting. It'll be a long wait if he is, but I don't blame him.

Ironically, there's one in there that I put because I enjoy the character/s and not so much the writer, and I'm trying to give said writer a chance, but I'm not really sure it's the one most of you guys would finger haha.

It's Remender. I'm still looking for that one piece of work that he nails and blows me away. I like Spencer haha

What from Remender have you read? Uncanny X-Force was what clinched him for me, and now I have Fear Agent sitting in the to-read pile. I'm still a bit disappointed that the X-Force ending was a bit rushed.

Just spitballin here, but sitting thinking about this Original Sin thing here: Is Aaron going to make Fury snr. the next watcher? Sounds dumb, but thematically it would just be an amplification of what Fury always has been. The man who's watching everyone else from afar, holding all the cards and playing to his own set of rules, always working towards *the greater good* regardless of everyone else. Just interesting Aaron is bringing him back into the fold. Its not like he would have to go live on the moon or be bestowed any magical powers, he could still be Nick Fury, but this time he really does know everything. Doesn't mean he knows the right thing to do about everything he knows.

Not that I'd necessarily want that, but it struck me as making sense a little, Fury and the watcher kind of have plenty in common, I could see them going that way. You take a picture of the crowd at every important event or assassination in the marvel universe, the only two guys there every time are Fury and the watcher; it's just that Fury might have been the one holding the rifle a bunch of times.

Maq, yr dead to me
j/k

That's definitely not a bad idea. I think most people haven't taken to sam jackson fury in 616 yet though.

Would someone mind explaining why this is such a big deal?

Ted Kord died in 2005 and hasn't really been seen since. He was "replaced" by Jaime Reyes as the Blue Beetle which was a much different take on the character.

I would buy it

People give Liefeld shit but I find Youngbloods to be pretty entertaining and he did create Cable and Deadpool after all.

It's SUNDAY! LIST TIME!

Best List

Batman #27
Harley Quinn #2
Wonder Woman #27
Chew #39
Deadly Class #1
Pretty Deadly #4
Umbral #3
Walking Dead #120
All-New X-men #22.NOW
Black Widow #2
Hawkeye #16
Wolverine & The X-Men #40
X-Men #9

1/22 list!

Batman 27
Batman and Two-Face 27
Harley Quinn 2
Justice League 27
Pandora 7

Deadly Class 1
Umbral 3

Black Widow 2

Maybe:
Birds of Prey 27
Batwoman 27

Also, this pic really captures the mood of this thread sometimes.

BeSRkALCYAAtTwE.jpg

Whats the story with this new fad of villains becoming good guys? Lex Luthor is joining the Justice League and now they just announced Megatron is joining the Autobots. WTF. I also don't like that Sinestro is a big hero now and Magneto is part of the X-Men.

Also, this pic really captures the mood of this thread sometimes.

BeSRkALCYAAtTwE.jpg

man if Rogue was wearing one of her green costumes I'd wallpaper that

looks like

Star Wars Legacy #11

Animal Man #27
Batman #27
Batman and Two Face #27
Harley Quinn #2
Justice League #27
Supergirl #27
Trinity of Sin Pandora #7

Legends Of Red Sonja #3
Pretty Deadly #4
Umbral #3

All-New X-Factor #2
All-New X-Men #22
Black Widow #2
FF #16
X-Men #9

Hit List

Batman #27
Dead Body Road #2 - Am I the only one reading this?
Deadly Class #1 - Exciting new Remender series about misfit assassins!!!
Pretty Deadly #4
Umbral #3
Zero #5 - Zero week is always a good week.
All New X-Men #22
Avengers #25
Avengers World #2
Black Widow #2
Captain America #15
FF #16
Hawkeye #16
Marvel Knights X-Men #3
Wolverine and the X-Men #40

noquarter

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was hoping I might get some help. I'm trying to get back into a couple stories, haven't really read much since the early 2000's. Back then I read a little bit of everything, really liking Spider-Man and Batman, but also reading Sam and Twitch (really didn't like Spawn, but these two...) and some of the Cross-Gen books (don't really remember them except for Sigil).

Currently is there anything happening in Spider-Man that I need to catch up on? I didn't like the original Ultimate, so was probably going to go back to Amazing, is there any recent arc's I should read, or TPB I should get? Appreciate any help with this one.

Batman I'm just going to go with New 52, looks like the current TPB has the first 7 books, so until I find those I'll just read that, and then catch up from there. Any other decent New 52's I should get? Is Detective Comics pretty good?

And then, any current comics that are fun? Not caring too much, just looking to get like three or four books a month right now, so would like to get a couple random ones until I find something else to get. In addition to the stuff up top, I have been a huge Punisher fan, and liked Green Arrow and Flash. Enjoyed X-Men in the '90's, Executioner's Song and some of the other arcs, so if there is any recent X-Men stuff I might check that out.

Thanks for any help that anyone is able to give. Sorry I haven't read this thread, I started too but was trying to stay away from spoilers right now.

Dysun

My list for 1/22

Batman 27
Batman and Two Face 27
Justice League 27

All New Invaders 1
All New X-Factor 2
All New X-Men 22
Captain America 15
Superior Spider-Man Team Up 9
Wolverine and the X-Men 40

TBD/Maybe:
Avengers 25 (Almost done with Hickman on the vanilla Avengers book)
Avengers World 2 (An extension of the above)
Green Lantern New Guardians 27 (Trimming down on Lantern books is hard for me)
Hawkeye 16 (Don't care much for the Kate issues)

What from Remender have you read? Uncanny X-Force was what clinched him for me, and now I have Fear Agent sitting in the to-read pile. I'm still a bit disappointed that the X-Force ending was a bit rushed.

That's definitely not a bad idea. I think most people haven't taken to sam jackson fury in 616 yet though.

Well, I've read all of Fear Agent, it didn't seem to capture me the same as everyone else here though. I liked the ideas in the book, and there was some great art, but I think it was the actual writing style that got in the way for me. Way too much inner monologue, it dragged down the book for me way too much. I think comics with lots of inner thought boxes can work, but the writer needs a real gift for it, otherwise it just ends up coming across as exposition, redundant info etc., and slows down the book to a crawl. In general I'd rather a comic just shows me rather than tells me. I also HATED the first arc of Uncanny Avengers with a passion. Same deal really, monologue/exposition box to death. I do like that I've read of Uncanny X-force though, and I think a few of Remender's projects coming up look great. Black Science and Low both look fantastic, I've got my fingers crossed that one of these is going to click with me. Gotta respect a guy putting out so many interesting looking, varied books.

Haha, I haven't really read much with Fury jnr. yet. I thin k you got that I was talking about old Nick with my theory though, but I'll just repeat that in case it wasn't clear. I was guessing this as maybe a next step for Old Fury.

Veelk

Banned
Here's a fun question I just thought of.

If superheroes could read the comics we have, what do you think would be their favorite superhero? And, for the sake of variety, lets say they can't choose themselves.

For some reason, I think Batman would have Spiderman as his favorite. I think he'd see him as a more well adjusted version of himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom