• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
Behold... I teach you THE LIST. It is THE LIGHTNING. IT IS THE MADNESS. TOO MANY COMICS. HELP ME DO SOME CULLING.
Animal Man #27
Batman #27
Batman and Two-Face #27
Justice League #27
Wonder Woman #27

Deadly Class #1
Pretty Deadly #4
Zero #5

All-New Invaders #1 (Okay the Point One story was bad but it had a lot to cram in eight pages I STILL BELIEVE)
All-New X-Factor #2 (Part of the standard three issue trial because I can't quite figure out if I like it yet)
All-New X-Men #22 (TWO ISSUES IN TWO FLIPPING WEEKS WHAT THE HECK)
Avengers #25 (Shit got REAL)
Avengers World #2 (I hope Spencer shits the bed this issue because this list has too many comics as is)
Black Widow #2 (NOTO <3)
Cable and X-Force #19 (Holy fuck the UXM issue of this crossover looked like BUTTS what the heck happened)
Captain America #15
FF #16 (Farewell, Allreds, you deserved better than to be stuck with Dan Fucking Slott)
Hawkgal #16 (Thanks Based Marvel for making lists lighter by only have Hawkpeeps books come out every whenever)
Indestructible Hulk #18 (Still Not Terrible, Fuck You)
Iron Man #20 (Also Not Terrible)
Mighty Avengers #5 (Maybe this one is when Land forces me to claw my own eyes out so I can save money)
Origin II #2 (GILLEN WRITING SINISTER ALERT)
WatXM #40 (Eh, might as well stick with it until Latour shows up)

Behold... I teach you THE LIST. It is THE LIGHTNING. IT IS THE MADNESS. TOO MANY COMICS. HELP ME DO SOME CULLING.

Restraining my personal biases: Do you find any of the double-shipped books mediocre? that might have the biggest financial impact.

Also "Eh might as well stick with it" and "not terrible" might not be the most ideal enjoyment standards to pursue if you want a tiny pull list.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was hoping I might get some help. I'm trying to get back into a couple stories, haven't really read much since the early 2000's. Back then I read a little bit of everything, really liking Spider-Man and Batman, but also reading Sam and Twitch (really didn't like Spawn, but these two...) and some of the Cross-Gen books (don't really remember them except for Sigil).

Currently is there anything happening in Spider-Man that I need to catch up on? I didn't like the original Ultimate, so was probably going to go back to Amazing, is there any recent arc's I should read, or TPB I should get? Appreciate any help with this one.

Batman I'm just going to go with New 52, looks like the current TPB has the first 7 books, so until I find those I'll just read that, and then catch up from there. Any other decent New 52's I should get? Is Detective Comics pretty good?

And then, any current comics that are fun? Not caring too much, just looking to get like three or four books a month right now, so would like to get a couple random ones until I find something else to get. In addition to the stuff up top, I have been a huge Punisher fan, and liked Green Arrow and Flash. Enjoyed X-Men in the '90's, Executioner's Song and some of the other arcs, so if there is any recent X-Men stuff I might check that out.

Thanks for any help that anyone is able to give. Sorry I haven't read this thread, I started too but was trying to stay away from spoilers right now.

If you liked Sam and Twitch you may enjoy Brian Bendis' Daredevil run with Alex Maleev. He did it just afterwards and it carries that awesome vibe through.

Messi

LISSSSST

tumblr_muowadhQL41qzm8edo1_500.jpg

Batman #27
Batwoman #27
Batman and Two face #27
Harley Quinn #2
Wonder Woman #27
Birds of prey #27

Chew #39
Pretty Deadly #4 (Rafa I got you brah)
Dead body Road #2

ALL New X-Factor #2
All New X-Men #22
Avengers #25
Black Widow #2
Hawkgal #16
X-Men #9

Shit, I really need to cut out some books.

Ephidel

All New X-Factor #2
Aphrodite IX Hidden Files #1
Avengers #25
Avengers World #2
Conan the Barbarian #24
Deadly Class #1
Eternal Warrior #5
Hawkeye #16
Massive #19
Mighty Avengers #5
Mind Mgmt #18
Pretty Deadly #4
Umbral #3
Wolverine and the X-Men #40
X-O Manowar #21
Zero #5
Kinda hoping some more copies of Rat Queens #4 show up as well as my LCS were shorted last week so I didn't get one.

Oh, and a public service announcement! Vinland Saga Vol.2 releases this week ;)

Batman 27
Green Lantern New Guardians 27
Justice League 27
Wonder Woman 27

Deadly Class

All New Invaders 01
All New X-Factor 02
All New X-Men 22
Avengers 25
Avengers World 02
Black Widow 02
Hawkeye 16
Origin II 02
X-Men 09

Most excited for Deadly Class

Messi

All New X-Factor #2
Aphrodite IX Hidden Files #1
Avengers #25
Avengers World #2
Conan the Barbarian #24
Deadly Class #1
Eternal Warrior #5
Hawkeye #16
Massive #19
Mighty Avengers #5
Mind Mgmt #18
Pretty Deadly #4
Umbral #3
Wolverine and the X-Men #40
X-O Manowar #21
Zero #5
Kinda hoping some more copies of Rat Queens #4 show up as well as my LCS were shorted last week so I didn't get one.

Oh, and a public service announcement! Vinland Saga Vol.2 releases this week ;)

I got to the store 2 hours after they opened and they only had 2 copies of Rat Queens #4 left. Must have not gotten many

Ephidel

I got to the store 2 hours after they opened and they only had 2 copies of Rat Queens #4 left. Must have not gotten many
Yeah, I have a feeling that was probably the case in many places. When I asked he said that instead of receiving their actual order, Diamond had allocated copies -- they got one, so they were short a number of copies and there are a fair few of us still waiting. (The one went to the first person alphabetically who'd pulled it, which is fair enough. There's not exactly another way around that situation). I imagine they must have done the same to other stores. He did say he was hopeful they might get more this week.

Nothing gets me heated more than allocations. I realize it's sometimes not the fault of the store itself, but I've run into just as many where they were the scandalous party;

One scenario was at my previous LCS, and this is what made me drop them for a different one, the next city over. They had no shelf copies of a title left and had a customer come in asking for it. They take the copy out of my box and sell it to them (they tried to claim they were shorted but I am friends with one of their workers who told me the truth). My most recent LCS has annoyed me a few times (not putting in variants I get EVERY FUCKING MONTH) but nothing enough to make me switch again, yet.

The thought of Lobdell ruining another series is worrying me. DC had to cancel the series he ran it into the ground so bad. And DC editor don't admit mistakes.

Impressive lists everyone!

Lists!

Animal Man #27
Batman #27
Batman And Two-Face #27
Batwoman #27
Green Lantern New Guardians #27
Harley Quinn #2
Justice League #27
Supergirl #27,
Trinity Of Sin Pandora #7
Wonder Woman #27

Messi

What's the over under on how long it takes the Harley creative team to fall back on joker for a story? I say issue 6 for the second arc.

DC COMICS

Batman #27
Batman And Two-Face #27
Green Lantern New Guardians #27
Justice League #27
Unwritten Volume 2 Apocalypse #1
Wonder Woman #27

IDW PUBLISHING
Samurai Jack #4
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Utrom Empire #1
Transformers Robots In Disguise #25

IMAGE COMICS
Chew #39
Deadly Class #1
Walking Dead #120
Zero #5

MARVEL COMICS
All-New Invaders #1
All-New X-Factor #2
All-New X-Men #22
Avengers #25
Avengers World #2
Black Widow #2
Captain America #15
Cataclysm Ultimate X-Men #3
FF #16
Hawkeye #16
Mighty Avengers #5.INH
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #9
Wolverine And The X-Men #40
I'm in the process of reducing my pull list, but I have this need to try out the new series.

Messi

I'm making a list of everyone not pulling harley #2 and then I am going to eliminate all of you. You have been warned. Rafa gets a pass as he is a comics superstar.

I'm making a list of everyone not pulling harley #2 and then I am going to eliminate all of you. You have been warned. Rafa gets a pass as he is a comics superstar.

I wasn't a big fan of #0 nor #1 (As in actively disliked them). If it somehow keeps getting great reviews I might get the trade (Probably out by 2017).

La Maquis is gonna skin me for this, but it needs to be said,

Rat Queens still feels like the 3rd arc of a series. The reveal at the end of issue #4 was something that had almost no impact on me. It's like a proto meme in the making. It's expecting a level of familiarity that it hasn't earned yet.

I still like it, mind you, but the next arc had better really go into some deep back story.

I liked it eenough to want to read the second issue. The art is nice and it is seemingly going to be a revenge story. Kind of like Punisher. I think it's only going to be 6 issues though.

That's cool .I haven't tried anything by Jordan, but Scalero has been blowing me away any time I see a preview for a book he's working on. I think I'll grab this if I remember, once it's been collected. I have trouble keeping track on Image's mini's for some reason thoug,h I keep meaning to get Comeback and Change, but they always pass out of mind. I never read Happy either.

La Maquis is gonna skin me for this, but it needs to be said,

Rat Queens still feels like the 3rd arc of a series. The reveal at the end of issue #4 was something that had almost no impact on me. It's like a proto meme in the making. It's expecting a level of familiarity that it hasn't earned yet.

I still like it, mind you, but the next arc had better really go into some deep back story.

Rat Queens is perfect as it is. Sadly, it is you who is flawed. But that's ok, friend. I accept you as you are.

Maybe you want something different from the series but that doesn't make it objectively flawed.

. . .

So seriously none of you Muzafukags is getting Bo Plushy Gansta #1?

Full Bo Plushy Gangsta Preview CBR

I liked Green Wake a lot but nothing else Wiebe has done yet has caught my eye. His writing was good but I think, for me, on a level where I need the idea to be as good to really make his stuff compelling and worth picking up. Panzerfaust/rat queens haven't really did it for me, but I'll keep watching what he's doing, I could see myself getting something else by him down the road.

The List:

Marvel:
All-New Invaders #1
All-New X-Factor #2
All-New X-Men #22.NOW
Avengers #25
Black Widow #2
Cable and X-Force #19
Captain America #15
Hawkeye #16

DC:
Batman #27
Harley Quinn #2
Justice League #27
The Unwritten: APOCALYPSE #1 (DC Vertigo)
Wonder Woman #27

Others:
X-Files Crossover Conspiracy: Ghostbusters One-Shot (IDW)
The Walking Dead #120 (Image)
Eternal Warrior #5 (Valiant)
X-O MANOWAR #21 (Valiant)

Sweet christ. There will have to be drops, I think. SOON.

I love Scribblenauts, but I'm waiting for the next Steam sale for Unmasked.

Or rather, I was waiting. I see Batzarro in one of those covers. I may have to buy the game now.

I would like to know why you have been keeping Scribblenaughts from me? It's... mesmerizing.
I wonder how the game is.

Haha, it's really great. Me and my kid play the game together, it's a pretty great way of encouraging young ones learning to read/write/spell to engage in that stuff and their keyboard skills, but it's actually just a really brilliant game for all ages in its own right!

I would like to know why you have been keeping Scribblenaughts from me? It's... mesmerizing.
I wonder how the game is.
All of the images I've seen push my cuteness brain buttons.

Scribblenauts, the game, is a big fun dumb sandbox without any real "goal" to it. Every iteration of the property has been refining the amazing creation system while also trying to work in a functional goal/quest system. The most recent one, the DC version, is the closest to that, in that it sends you to various iconic locals and tasks you with solving puzzles/beating bad guys in creative ways. Occasionally, Mytzlplk will offer a bonus objective, something along the lines of "You can only use words that start with W" and you have to fit that into the puzzles at hand. For a DC fan, like myself, its breadth of inclusion of obscure characters is pretty great. I don't think it's worth it as a full price game, but on the cheap / on sale, I'd recommend checking it out.

I have to say that I dig what's happening with these partnerships between comics and video games. Particularly with video game distributers bringing their world's to the medium of comics. Largely due to comics, I rarely game anymore. And so I appreciate it when I get to experience characters and worlds that riff off those games that I am missing. The Last of Us prequel mini was something I quite enjoyed, for example.
The game is too scary for me!

Any of y'all stoked for Paul Tobin and Joe Quiero's The Witcher?

(Rather Meager) Preview CBR

Any of y'all stoked for Paul Tobin and Joe Quiero's The Witcher?

(Rather Meager) Preview CBR

Haha I actually put up a link to a longer preview than this a week or so ago but literally no-one replied :( I am kind of excited though. I love the witcher games and novels, and Dark Horse have assembled a decent team. The big issue for these projects is they can often do nothing long lasting/meaningful with the properties/characters. Most of the times, characters that have to remain completely static in their relationships etc. are not compelling, and msot writers are not smart enuogh to get around this by trying different story telling methods to compensate. This one looks cool ,though I haven't read anything by Tobin. Colder got great reviews though so I'm interested.

You must play the last of us maq! There's only one really scary bit, the game is so gooood.

EDIT: The original thoughtsI shared on the witcher comic: Click

Haha I actually put up a link to a longer preview than this a week or so ago but literally no-one replied :( I am kind of excited though. I love the witcher games and novels, and Dark Horse have assembled a decent team. The big issue for these projects is they can often do nothing long lasting with the properties/characters. This one looks cool ,though I haven't read anything by Tobin. Colder got great reviews though so I'm interested.

You must play the last of us maq! There's only one really scary bit, the game is so gooood.

EDIT: The original thoughtsI shared on the witcher comic: Click

Fuck the basement area.

The only video game to comic adaption that I really, really liked was the Warcraft one; I have the first couple of trades for that one. I dabbled in the Mass Effect ones when I got real deep into that, too, but I wasn't as much into them. Nothing against them, proper, but they didn't scratch that itch in quite the same way. I almost got some of the Dragon Age ones, but they came and went before I even realized it. I've thought about finding the trades for those, if they exist, at some point.

This is exactly the area I was thinking of hahah!

This was the first scary game I played through. My wife watched me from beginning to end. During that part, I would stop and take deep breaths and talk to myself. Scary games really do evoke strong chemical reactions in my body. I get really tense.

This was the first scary game I played through. My wife watched me from beginning to end. During that part, I would stop and take deep breaths and talk to myself. Scary games really do evoke strong chemical reactions in my body. I get really tense.

Haha, that's amazing man! I didn't find Last of Us too bad, Zombiu crippled me though. That basement area though, the way it plays with how much you can see ahead of you etc. compared to previously, it's really incredible, crazy stuff. I just love all the neat touches like how Joel has to get his bag out and kneel down to switch stuff and heal etc., that really ramps up the tension. I love you react so well to it though, I think thats exactly what they wanted to elicit. I love horror comics but it's just not the same thing compared to a game where you know something is literally coming for you haha

Toa TAK

Banned
So what are the lists people do here for? Upcoming comics they want to own?

And why is this hobby expensive and addicting? There should be some kind of warning sign in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom