• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephidel

EDIT: Any new #1's that I should pick up? Preferably Marvel.
You could pick up that All New Marvel Now Point One from a couple of weeks back and use it as a sampler for the new Loki, Black Widow, Silver Surfer, Ms Marvel, Invaders, and Avengers World series. It might give you an idea whether anything appeals to you.
All New X-Factor #1 was also released at the same time, with PAD writing about a corporate super-hero squad and characters including Polaris, Quicksilver, and Gambit.

Thanks to this thread, I've discovered there is a current run Daredevil oversized HC. Any idea if it is available in the UK?
Vol 1 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0785168060/
Vol 2 (not yet released) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0785184791/

Toa TAK

Banned
Every Sunday, this page:

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/952

Is updated for all the comics releasing that upcoming Wednesday. We look at this list and post list of everything we are getting for that upcoming Wednesday which is new release day.

It's basically the sub list they set up with their local comic store/online site. Then when the stock comes in, the shop "pull" the book into their tray/folder or whatever each month, then everyone goes down to the store and gets their stack.

Ok cool. Thanks guys.

I'll jump in next Sunday. Next week is just Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #9.

Cheska

Does anyone remember if the omnibus for Remenders Uncanny X-Force was ever up for preorder on dcbservice? I could have sworn I saw it on there before. Was going to order the Wolvie one and thought I'd pick that up too.

Does anyone remember if the omnibus for Remenders Uncanny X-Force was ever up for preorder on dcbservice? I could have sworn I saw it on there before. Was going to order the Wolvie one and thought I'd pick that up too.

I didn't see it, but it comes out in early March. If they're done taking orders, you may have to wait and grab it from Instocktrades.

ngower

Hey y'all, just wanted to ask what some of the 'it' non-superhero books are right now? I've been reading Sex Criminals and like it a lot. Also been reading through some queer comics anthologies (No Straight Lines and QU33R), as well as some Love and Rockets stuff.

I know there's stuff like Manhattan Projects and MIND MGMT, but that's more sci-fi than I'm looking for at the moment. Just wondering if there's anything out there that I ought to be reading in the vein of the comics aforementioned?

Cheers!

Messi

Hey y'all, just wanted to ask what some of the 'it' non-superhero books are right now? I've been reading Sex Criminals and like it a lot. Also been reading through some queer comics anthologies (No Straight Lines and QU33R), as well as some Love and Rockets stuff.

I know there's stuff like Manhattan Projects and MIND MGMT, but that's more sci-fi than I'm looking for at the moment. Just wondering if there's anything out there that I ought to be reading in the vein of the comics aforementioned?

Cheers!

Most people really like SAGA. Final issue of this arc next week!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I didn't see it, but it comes out in early March. If they're done taking orders, you may have to wait and grab it from Instocktrades.

I'm not sure what the consensus is on cheapgraphicnovels.com, but it's there for preorder for $50. You do have to pay for shipping though.

Kipp

Holy shit that's an awesome price! CGN is legit, right?

I've seen the name thrown around here and there, which is how I heard of it, so I'd guess it is. I've never used it personally though. Because you have to pay for shipping on CGN versus free shipping on IST, it really only makes it worth it to order from CGN if you're buying two omnibuses or have your cart $10 cheaper at CGN another way. But from what I've seen, the main benefit of CGN is they have most things at a 50% discount for pre-orders and during the first week of release.

Cheers!

I'll take a stab here. If you read queer anthologies and also comedy books, allow me to recommend Rat Queens. It is hilarious and introduces a fantastic queer character.

The queer anthology Anything That Moves dropped late last year. Bought it but I haven't cracked it yet.

But from what I've seen, the main benefit of CGN is they have most things at a 50% discount for pre-orders and during the first week of release.

IST does the 50% off thing as well, though usually only on a select five or so titles per week. But omnibuses are pretty much always included, so I don't expect this to be any different.

Kipp

Has anyone read the Dexter comic by chance? I'm assuming it's just an awful money-grab, but if it's genuinely good I'd give it a shot.

Messi

I flipped through it. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

tumblr_mah0mshvdJ1qk6wc3o1_500.gif

ngower

Most people really like SAGA. Final issue of this arc next week!

Yeah, it's been on my radar but every time I go to the library, Vol. 1 is checked out. I'll look for it the next time I'm at the library!

I'll take a stab here. If you read queer anthologies and also comedy books, allow me to recommend Rat Queens. It is hilarious and introduces a fantastic queer character.

The queer anthology Anything That Moves dropped late last year. Bought it but I haven't cracked it yet.

I'll look into Rat Queens, sounds...odd, but in a good way.

Are you referencing Anything That Loves?

[EDIT]
Vol 1 is prob checked out because it is amazing.

Rat Queens has had a great start.

Yeah, I've been hearing love for Saga for ages. I'd have thought Vol. 1's popularity would have dipped by now, but alas it hasn't. Looking at my local library's catalog, it looks like there Volumes 1 and 2 are available. Maybe I'll trek down tomorrow and pick 'em up.

Messi

Yeah, it's been on my radar but every time I go to the library, Vol. 1 is checked out. I'll look for it the next time I'm at the library!

Vol 1 is prob checked out because it is amazing.

Rat Queens has had a great start.

Yeah! Silly me. That.

ngower

Yeah! Silly me. That.

There was a review in the LA Review of Books that sort of poo-poo'd the book (and another, I can't remember which) because it sort of awkwardly navigates sexuality. I think they took issue with the fact that the book's subtitle is "Between Gay And Straight" but they don't really address many complexities of trans/bi/etc, mostly sticks within gay and lesbian narratives.

I'm not sure if it' still going on, but Northwest Press (who do Anything That Loves and QU33R, amongst others) were having a big sale the other day.

There was a review in the LA Review of Books that sort of poo-poo'd the book (and another, I can't remember which) because it sort of awkwardly navigates sexuality. I think they took issue with the fact that the book's subtitle is "Between Gay And Straight" but they don't really address many complexities of trans/bi/etc, mostly sticks within gay and lesbian narratives.

That is so disappointing. The only reason I wanted to read it was it's promise to represent the grey areas.

Seriously, Green Lantern: The Animated Series is so good! I like it better than any other animated series I've seen in ages. In one episode, a planet becomes a green lantern. A whole planet, dude!

Vibranium

Banned
That's a really oddball idea for a solo book, but I'd buy it.

I've seen some people suggesting it on CBR and Bleeding Cool so I'm not the only one haha. Plus, Melissa has dropped off the map like Danny Rand (before he appeared again) so we need to know what happened to her. If they do bring her back I'd like long hair again though, that last style was horrifying.

Cheska

Why the hell does it look like there's no omnibus or hardcover collection for Transmetropolitan? :< I don't want to buy 10 volumes of it ;_;

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why the hell does it look like there's no omnibus or hardcover collection for Transmetropolitan? :< I don't want to buy 10 volumes of it ;_;

Vertigo has basically only just begun putting their big series into deluxe hardcovers. Transmetropolitan is not yet slated. It'll be a long wait.

Chances are you'd be looking at five deluxe hardcovers instead of the ten tpb volumes with Transmetropolitan, which is how they released Y: The Last Man. Vertigo doesn't seem to do omnibus editions very often, Sandman seems to be the exception. Planetary doesn't count because that was technically under the Wildstorm imprint. If you wanna read Transmet, just buy the paperbacks. At this point in time, it'll save you both time and money.

Yeah. It's not as good as the Adventure Time comic but still makes for some nice light reading in between the heavier stuff that I read..
I guess I'll check it out. Thanks for the info!

Pretty good, despite the art.
Depends on your tolerance to Greg Land.
I have no idea who he is. lol

Also, checked out more of Age of Ultron since I stopped reading comics while it was going on. Holy shit, what a waste of money.

Cheska

Chances are you'd be looking at five deluxe hardcovers instead of the ten tpb volumes with Transmetropolitan, which is how they released Y: The Last Man. Vertigo doesn't seem to do omnibus editions very often, Sandman seems to be the exception. Planetary doesn't count because that was technically under the Wildstorm imprint. If you wanna read Transmet, just buy the paperbacks. At this point in time, it'll save you both time and money.

Well I guess it's a good thing that dcbs/IST have all of the TPBs so it's just a quick order away.

Well I guess it's a good thing that dcbs/IST have all of the TPBs so it's just a quick order away.

I read Transmet in tpb format, no regrets.

So does anyone know if there have been any updates in regards to the Promethea Immateria Collection (omnibus)? It was supposed to come out in November or something. Listings for it seem to have disappeared from online shops, and I haven't heard a peep about it.

The entire Chuck Austen run of Uncanny X-Men is this week's Marvel Monday Comixology sale

So if you really wanted to read the story of how Nightcrawler is some demon priest or whatever or if you wanna know the context of Angel and Husk skyfucking in front of her parents, this is your chance

The entire Chuck Austen run of Uncanny X-Men is this week's Marvel Monday Comixology sale

So if you really wanted to read the story of how Nightcrawler is some demon priest or whatever or if you wanna know the context of Angel and Husk skyfucking in front of her parents, this is your chance
Or learn mutants can't get AIDS!

That run is honestly one of the worst trainwrecks I've ever read.

Edit: wasn't there a part were Havok suggested helping Iceman recreate himself with piss or something?

Man, Velvet #3 was so good. The art is jaw dropping.

The previews have looked amazing, Epting has stepped up his game to the enxt level, beyond his work he did at marvel. Bru and Ep's Cap #1 is the book that got me back to comics way back at the beginning of their run, so the team is near and dear to me, really excited to read the book.

I was weak and caught up on Red Lanterns. I don't even feel sorry because for $3 they pack a lot of entertainment in an issue.

Oh man,
Drunk ZZ Blob! The rage-ified Kaalvar! Bleez spearing Gensui! Ratchet's sacrifice!
So much awesome.

Bleez always feels like she is on the cusp of something really interesting. During the last arc she came across as a Starscream analogue with occasional flashes of brilliance. I hope they continue to flesh her out.

Zilius had an amazing scene. Coming to the defense of the other Reds with a supercharged spaceship was a serious fuck yeah moment.

Ratchets death was handled amazingly well. Foreshadowed the issue before and realized in a very natural way. Explores the idea of finally satisfying ones rage and finding peace.

The next few issues promise to be great. I cant wait to see how a Red Lantern Supergirl is going to fit into the dynamic. It sounds absolutely random on paper but this run has been taking chances so I'm ready to go for a ride and see how it unfolds.

You could pick up that All New Marvel Now Point One from a couple of weeks back and use it as a sampler for the new Loki, Black Widow, Silver Surfer, Ms Marvel, Invaders, and Avengers World series. It might give you an idea whether anything appeals to you.
All New X-Factor #1 was also released at the same time, with PAD writing about a corporate super-hero squad and characters including Polaris, Quicksilver, and Gambit.

Vol 1 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0785168060/
Vol 2 (not yet released) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0785184791/

Thanks for the tip about All New Marvel Now Point One! Will definitely check it out. And thanks for the links to Daredevil, I noticed volume one when I did a search but it didn't say "oversized" so I thought it wasn't right, haha.

Is the Guardians of the galaxy book as directionless as it appears to be from the outside? Since I ordered all that Hickman stuff, I was looknig into the general going ons of the MU, and the book just seems to move from random thing to random thing. Iron man, Angela, Infinity tie in, x-men tie in, anniversary issue, venom joining the team haha? What is the actual plot driving the series?

Is the Guardians of the galaxy book as directionless as it appears to be from the outside? Since I ordered all that Hickman stuff, I was looknig into the general going ons of the MU, and the book just seems to move from random thing to random thing. Iron man, Angela, Infinity tie in, x-men tie in, anniversary issue, venom joining the team haha? What is the actual plot driving the series?

Pretty much...nothing.

tim1138

Bleez always feels like she is on the cusp of something really interesting. During the last arc she came across as a Starscream analogue with occasional flashes of brilliance. I hope they continue to flesh her out.

Zilius had an amazing scene. Coming to the defense of the other Reds with a supercharged spaceship was a serious fuck yeah moment.

Ratchets death was handled amazingly well. Foreshadowed the issue before and realized in a very natural way. Explores the idea of finally satisfying ones rage and finding peace.

The next few issues promise to be great. I cant wait to see how a Red Lantern Supergirl is going to fit into the dynamic. It sounds absolutely random on paper but this run has been taking chances so I'm ready to go for a ride and see how it unfolds.

I'm glad you two started this conversation, it reminded I wanted to start pulling RL again now that the crossover is done.

La Maquinon said:
Seriously, Green Lantern: The Animated Series is so good! I like it better than any other animated series I've seen in ages. In one episode, a planet becomes a green lantern. A whole planet, dude!

Mogo is the best Lantern. You should track down the collection DC put out of Alan Moore stories to read "Mogo doesn't socialize", it's fantastic.

phoenixyz

Sir, I would like to post a list:

Batman #27
Batman and Robin/Two-Face #27
Birds of Prey #27 <- Gothtopia
Harley Quinn #2
Justice League #27

I'm glad you two started this conversation, it reminded I wanted to start pulling RL again now that the crossover is done.

It's involvement in the Lights Out crossover was fairly minimal. You could pull it from issue #21 without any worries, imo.

Mogo is the best Lantern. You should track down the collection DC put out of Alan Moore stories to read "Mogo doesn't socialize", it's fantastic.

Wasn't that story one of the ones adapted for the Green Lantern: Emerald Knights DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom